Odd moments in KISS songs...

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
ACESTATION
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: Odd moments in KISS songs...

Post by ACESTATION »

nfarend wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:04 pm That drum roll at the end of the Destroyer version of Detroit Rock City. It doesn't make sense. Peter didn't have a clue about counting. He just stopped when he thought the drum roll was finished. Except it was too early. Ezrin left it as it is. When they started to play it live Peter learned how to do it properly.
Reminds me of the part in Paul's 2013 book when Tommy Thayer was assigned to help Peter drum the way they wanted him to preparing for the 1996 Reunion Tour. Tommy knows how the drums are suppose to sound even though he is not a drummer.
Anyway, Paul said that Peter screamed at Tommy, "Don't tell me how to play the Fucking Drums !!!"
nfarend
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by nfarend »

banks wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:56 am
nfarend wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:53 am
Tito wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:45 am
nfarend wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:20 am Maybe it was intentional after all. They just stuck in a 3/4 measure instead of 4/4. Still sounds weird to my ears though.
You're completely lost here. It's a 4/4 bar and the count is on 2, 3, 4. The music ends on the up stroke after the 1, hence the break before the drum roll is 2, 3, 4.
Oh really? Ouch. Have to check it out again. Somehow I feel the drumroll ends too early so maybe I jumped to the wrong conclusion. Will check it out again.
Peter ends the tom thing on the third beat. So there's a short silence before the "Get up" that comes on the fourth beat. That way the "Get up" sounds even more effective. Gene can be seen giving a similar "tacet" instructuon to the arranger in the Symphony DVD.
I listened to it again and the "Get up!" part indeed comes at the same time as earlier in the song. So what I was saying before was wrong. That said, that drumroll just doesn't sound right to me. It always stood out like a sore thumb.
banks
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by banks »

nfarend wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:03 am
banks wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:56 am
nfarend wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:53 am
nfarend wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:20 am Maybe it was intentional after all. They just stuck in a 3/4 measure instead of 4/4. Still sounds weird to my ears though.
You're completely lost here. It's a 4/4 bar and the count is on 2, 3, 4. The music ends on the up stroke after the 1, hence the break before the drum roll is 2, 3, 4.
Oh really? Ouch. Have to check it out again. Somehow I feel the drumroll ends too early so maybe I jumped to the wrong conclusion. Will check it out again.
Peter ends the tom thing on the third beat. So there's a short silence before the "Get up" that comes on the fourth beat. That way the "Get up" sounds even more effective. Gene can be seen giving a similar "tacet" instructuon to the arranger in the Symphony DVD.
I listened to it again and the "Get up!" part indeed comes at the same time as earlier in the song. So what I was saying before was wrong. That said, that drumroll just doesn't sound right to me. It always stood out like a sore thumb.
I think it's slightly out of time. A bit too fast or something.
Mikel Black
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Mikel Black »

sugardaddy wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:11 pm The skipping in the intro to Torpedo Girl
Yes! That annoys the hell outta me!
Mikel Black
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Mikel Black »

Tito wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:16 am :lol: The hi-hat counts are on 2, 3, 4 of the bar, not 1, 2, 3. I don't think Peter is the one with no clue about counting here, no offense. :wink:
Correct
Grizzly Adams

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Mikel Black wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:29 am
sugardaddy wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:11 pm The skipping in the intro to Torpedo Girl
Yes! That annoys the hell outta me!
What exactly are you referring to?
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

Kissoff wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:18 pm Intro to Is That You?
Odd in a good or bad way to you? I love how the album starts with Paul's 'OW!'
rwgriffith

Post by rwgriffith »

gene therapist wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:15 am
Kissoff wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:18 pm Intro to Is That You?
Odd in a good or bad way to you? I love how the album starts with Paul's 'OW!'
I dig that as well!
Ara78
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Ara78 »

The first "Man battlestations torpedo" warning is clipped a bit at the beginning.
Homer Simpson

Post by Homer Simpson »

Paul's vocals on Hotter than Hell (song) always sounded weird to me.
mot$$33
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by mot$$33 »

jannep17 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:52 pm
mot$$33 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:01 am Paul talking about all the alcoholic drinks while introducing Cold Gin, cause you know he has no clue.
Are you suggesting Paul didn't drink? But he did, didn't he?
(Then, I don't know if he drank tequila, vodka and orange juice or, indeed, cold gin.)
Oh,I think he probably did, moderately, but the way he’s trying to come across, sounds like something Ace should be saying. Ace would probably say “screwdriver”, not Vodka and Orange juice.
Man of a Thousand Aces

Post by Man of a Thousand Aces »

banks wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:51 am
Yes, the hi-hat starts on two.
THIS
Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? »

I read through the thread looking for this. Thank you!

It's ridiculous.
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

mot$$33 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:22 am
mot$$33 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:01 am Paul talking about all the alcoholic drinks while introducing Cold Gin, cause you know he has no clue.
(Then, I don't know if he drank tequila, vodka and orange juice or, indeed, cold gin.)
Oh,I think he probably did, moderately, but the way he’s trying to come across, sounds like something Ace should be saying. Ace would probably say “screwdriver”, not Vodka and Orange juice.
Vodka and orange juice actually sounds cooler. Screwdriver sounds like something an elderly lounge veteran would say.
Grizzly Adams

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Ara78 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:18 am The first "Man battlestations torpedo" warning is clipped a bit at the beginning.
Is the "Man battlestations torpedo" warning something that KISS recorded for the album?
or
Is it sampled from another source?
If so, what is the original source? That could maybe explain why it is clipped.
Spiritual_Chaos

Post by Spiritual_Chaos »

jannep17 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:37 am
mot$$33 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:22 am
Vodka and orange juice actually sounds cooler. Screwdriver sounds like something an elderly lounge veteran would say.
Peter LeMarc and Tony Thoren drank screwdrivers made from the tape head cleaner fluid when mixing Det finns inget bättre.
Four-Who-Are-One

Post by Four-Who-Are-One »

caligari wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:56 am💋MASTER AND SLAVE:

During one of the final chorus before the song ends,
The gang vocal drops out - and you only get Gene’s voice alone by himself - even though this really a “Paul song”.

- Every time I see a sign
Tell me what's the bottom line
Tell Me
I just want a place to rest,
Count to four and catch my breath -
rwgriffith wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:59 am I LOVE ❤ that part with Gene singing by himself in the tune "Master And Slave"!!

Yes, was just listening the other day and that jumped out at me. Works really well.
ViniPonciasTapeOp
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by ViniPonciasTapeOp »

Wiped Out 78 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:27 pm "Ladies Room", from Alive II.

The song is basically in E, and they end it on an A chord. Always sounded wrong to me.
Cool observation, I have never thought about it, but you are right!
ViniPonciasTapeOp
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by ViniPonciasTapeOp »

gene therapist wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:52 pm
Rocket Ride switches from minor to major key for the chorus - a let down the very first time I heard it.

Tears Are Falling switches from major to minor key for the chorus - works brilliantly!

I agree with you on Tears are falling, but I don't think that Rocket Ride goes in a minor key before the chorus. There's no third in the tonic chord, so I know it's just a matter of how you hear it, so I don't mean that you are wrong. But if you had to put a third in the riff or the verse, then I think the major one sounds less awkward.
alanrosembung
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

ViniPonciasTapeOp wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:40 pm
Wiped Out 78 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:27 pm "Ladies Room", from Alive II.

The song is basically in E, and they end it on an A chord. Always sounded wrong to me.
Cool observation, I have never thought about it, but you are right!
Even more jarring was the Black Diamond ending in A tagged on the end of Detroit Rock City, Dodger Stadium gig. Didn’t work.
Four-Who-Are-One

Could be an "aural illusion" but does the instrumental outro to Dirty Livin' seem to speed up for anyone else?
Man of a Thousand Aces

Post by Man of a Thousand Aces »

The guitar harmony interlude in the solo section of DO YOU LOVE ME. I'm used to it after 40+ years, but I seem to recall that it sounded odd to me when I first heard it. Same for the riff in the chorus of HOOLIGAN.
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

Four-Who-Are-One wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:44 pm Could be an "aural illusion" but does the instrumental outro to Dirty Livin' seem to speed up for anyone else?
Yeah good call. Same with Charisma. It’s just a mili-second in timing but it’s there. And the drums on Modern Day Delilah go a tiny bit out of time during the lead break.
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

Considering the break in "Detroit Rock City" threw some, try the one in "Thou Shalt Not" between 3:00-3:06.
Johnno
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Johnno »

Homer Simpson wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:34 am Paul's vocals on Hotter than Hell (song) always sounded weird to me.
Agree
It’s Paul but it doesn’t sound like him.
It’s like he’s singing differently, but it’s the only time he has ever sounded like that on record.
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

Four-Who-Are-One wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:44 pm Could be an "aural illusion" but does the instrumental outro to Dirty Livin' seem to speed up for anyone else?
I have always wondered about that. Right before it fades out.
peopleselbow

Post by peopleselbow »

gene therapist wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:52 pm The rocking part in Only You - ruins it.

Same riff as Unholy. Gene tends to reuse a lot of his musical ideas.
Mystogan

Post by Mystogan »

The ending of "Rockin' In The USA". It's a bit chaotic and the ending comes at you suddenly. In general this song is an ultimate rush job, the solo is in place of vocals for the first half of verse 2, Gene doesn't bother to sing "what I would rather do" before chorus 2 and it sounds off that Peter does the snare roll bit for two repetitions at the end when I feel doing it once would of been more effective. Also Gene had a really bad habit for rhyming do with do (this song and "Love 'Em & Leave 'Em).
Four-Who-Are-One

Mr Slow wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:25 amYeah good call. Same with Charisma. It’s just a mili-second in timing but it’s there.
jannep17 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:31 amI have always wondered about that. Right before it fades out.

Glad it's not just me!!
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

Four-Who-Are-One wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:06 am
Mr Slow wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:25 amYeah good call. Same with Charisma. It’s just a mili-second in timing but it’s there.
jannep17 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:31 amI have always wondered about that. Right before it fades out.

Glad it's not just me!!
I just listened...
Dirty Livin’ occurs right on 4:00
Charisma is about 4:11
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

ViniPonciasTapeOp wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:58 pm
gene therapist wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:52 pm
Rocket Ride switches from minor to major key for the chorus - a let down the very first time I heard it.

Tears Are Falling switches from major to minor key for the chorus - works brilliantly!

I agree with you on Tears are falling, but I don't think that Rocket Ride goes in a minor key before the chorus. There's no third in the tonic chord, so I know it's just a matter of how you hear it, so I don't mean that you are wrong. But if you had to put a third in the riff or the verse, then I think the major one sounds less awkward.
You're right, I should have clarified I meant major/minor feel, a.k.a. happy and sad, positive and negative. :!:
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

One odd moment in a Kiss song is the missing guitar solo in RARAN. The studio version should have the guitar solo, like the live version. It's one of the most iconic solos and it's not in the song! That's mad.
peopleselbow

Post by peopleselbow »

TheSpoiler wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:02 am The "Wake up baby don't you sleep" part in I Just Wanna.

Stop it and stop it now.
That part really sucks and shows once again how over rated Revenge is.
Last edited by peopleselbow on Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joma5477

Post by joma5477 »

jannep17 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:42 am One odd moment in a Kiss song is the missing guitar solo in RARAN. The studio version should have the guitar solo, like the live version. It's one of the most iconic solos and it's not in the song! That's mad.
The weirdest thing about it is the fact they were looking for ways to extend the length of that album...well, a guitar solo in that song would have been one way.
TheSpoiler wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:02 am The "Wake up baby don't you sleep" part in I Just Wanna.

Stop it and stop it now.
Post for the Unpopular opinion thread: I like that part...
banks
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by banks »

Perhaps slightly off-topic, but now that the 7/4 in Flamin' You was mentioned...

No one ever mentions the 9/8 bit in Watching You - or more like 2/4 + 5/8. Ezrin said that Peter couldn't grasp the 7/4 in Flamin' Youth, so they made him play the snare on every beat so he didn't have to worry about it.

But Peter had played a much more complicated thing in WY, where he even plays 16th notes on toms over the barline - and catches the riff just fine when it has started again.

The Nothin' To Lose riff is in 7/4 and Peter had no problem with that either.

I'm sure the problem with FY was that Ezrin talked to Peter about 7/4 instead of just letting Peter hear the riff to get the feel of it.
Last edited by banks on Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
black diamond
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by black diamond »

The litte drum breaks about halfway through the verses in Anything For My Baby. Completely unexpected. But I love it!
TT714
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by TT714 »

"We ain't talking about no tequila PEOPLE"
TT714
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by TT714 »

Sometimes in versions of DRC you'll hear during the solo "you gotta lose your life in Detroit rock city" idk I've always found it odd how it appears sometimes and sometimes not. I don't think they've ever done that part live.
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

On the subject of DRC, the lyrics are a little puzzling if you think about it:

Get up
Everybody's gonna move their feet
Get down
Everybody's gonna leave their seat

It probably should have been switched to where “get up” is everybody leaving their seat and “get down” (which is a reference to dancing) is everybody moving their feet. So they are first standing, then dancing. Like this:

Get up
Everybody's gonna leave their seat
Get down
Everybody's gonna move their feet
Four-Who-Are-One

Mr Slow wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:19 amI just listened...
Dirty Livin’ occurs right on 4:00
Charisma is about 4:11

:thumright:
Velvis

Post by Velvis »

I am happy not knowing a damn thing about music from a technical point. wrong key, wrong note, wrong time, etc. no idea about that stuff. I either like a song or not. I don't think I would like listening to music from the point of view of a musician.
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

I almost forgot two weird Gene things:

Him singing "limpin' as you do" in Watchin' You. (I don't believe for a second that it's "livin' as you do".)

And also singing "let me tizzit your tunnel of love" (I won't believe it's "visit".)
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

jannep17 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:54 am I almost forgot two weird Gene things:

Him singing "limpin' as you do" in Watchin' You. (I don't believe for a second that it's "livin' as you do".)

And also singing "let me tizzit your tunnel of love" (I won't believe it's "visit".)
Limping as you do is the right lyric. Why is that weird?
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

Tito wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:18 am
jannep17 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:54 am I almost forgot two weird Gene things:

I have never encountered another song addressing someone who is limping. And I seem ro recall that Gene himself claims he's singing "livin'".
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

jannep17 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:35 am

I have never encountered another song addressing someone who is limping. And I seem ro recall that Gene himself claims he's singing "livin'".
No man, Behind The Mask, p. 228, Gene recites the lyric: "Limpin' as you do, I'm watchin' you".
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

Tito wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:42 am

No man, Behind The Mask, p. 228, Gene recites the lyric: "Limpin' as you do, I'm watchin' you".
Maybe I get the Gene thing mixed up, I seem to remember him being asked about it and saying "livin'. Search Lyrics.com for instance, there it says "livin'".
banks
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by banks »

jannep17 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:48 am
Tito wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:42 am

Maybe I get the Gene thing mixed up, I seem to remember him being asked about it and saying "livin'. Search Lyrics.com for instance, there it says "livin'".
You're both right. In Behind The Mask Gene says it's "limpin'. But when someone asked about it in the "letters" section of his old website, he said it's "livin'. I remember being puzzled. My theory is that he doesn't like the original lyric and has changed it to "livin'.
Mr Slow
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Mr Slow »

Velvis wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:30 pm I am happy not knowing a damn thing about music from a technical point. wrong key, wrong note, wrong time, etc. no idea about that stuff. I either like a song or not. I don't think I would like listening to music from the point of view of a musician.
As a musician I can do both. So can other musicians that I know. In fact, having an ear for those things often enhances the listening experience because you’re not only enjoying the song from a catchy melody point of view but you can also appreciate the skill involved in what is being played or even the simplicity of the song in some cases.

Each to their own, but personally I love having a bit of musical knowledge. 😉👍
Eddie Van Hazel
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

I always thought Ace's acapella guitar solo in "Dark Light" was an odd moment.

No bass or rhythm guitar...Just Ace playing a solo (that sounded made up on the spot) with drums and congas behind it.
jannep17
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by jannep17 »

Eddie Van Hazel wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:46 pm I always thought Ace's acapella guitar solo in "Dark Light" was an odd moment.

No bass or rhythm guitar...Just Ace playing a solo (that sounded made up on the spot) with drums and congas behind it.
It's freaky, sounds like a bit from a total different song that they threw in just because they could.