Best Non Makeup Album

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.

Best Non Makeup Album

Poll ended at Thu May 20, 2021 5:03 pm

Lick It Up
50%
Animalize
3%
Asylum
12%
Crazy Nights
7%
Hot In The Shade
4%
Revenge
17%
Carnival Of Souls
7%

Total votes: 175

ypke
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: Best Non Makeup Album

Post by ypke »

HITS.
Followed closely by CN, Revenge and Asylum.
After that LIU, Animalize and COS.
Bruce
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Bruce »

How can Asylum be trailing behind Revenge? Forget that -- how come Asylum's trailing ... at all? That can't be right. When was the last time the polling feature was callibrated?
B5Erik
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

Legsofsteel wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:35 pm
B5Erik wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:04 am And I still don't get the love for Lick It Up...

Gimme More - HORRIBLE lyrics. Some of the worst of their career. Only a couple of their songs have lyrics that are deal breakers, but that's one of them. Cringe-worthy.

Fits Like A Glove - Bad song. Lots of energy, but a crap song.

Dance All Over Your Face - Even worse. Awful.

And On The 8th Day - GodAwful. A disaster.

Yeah, an album with that much garbage shouldn't get the kind of love LIU gets. So, I just don't get it.
Criticise songs off Lick it Up for these reasons, but same poster votes for Revenge which has songs like "Spit", "I Just Wanna", and "Domino" which are far more cringe worthy than any song on Lick it Up.
Spit may have laughable, almost cringe-worthy lyrics, but, musically, it's one of the best songs they've ever done.

I Just Wanna is also quite excellent, musically, as is Domino.

Fits Like A Glove, Dance All Over Your Face, and 8th Day are all crap, musically, as well as crap lyrically. Big difference.
highvoltage1969

Post by highvoltage1969 »

Lick It Up
Demian1977
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Demian1977 »

Been listening to a lot of Asylum lately so that’s it for me with LIU a close second and CN third.
UltraCynic
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by UltraCynic »

Bruce wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:41 pm How can Asylum be trailing behind Revenge? Forget that -- how come Asylum's trailing ... at all? That can't be right. When was the last time the polling feature was callibrated?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kissoff
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Kissoff »

Ace Cadet wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:03 pm I’m sure it’s been done but please humor me.
HITS love it!!!
Kissoff
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Kissoff »

B5Erik wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:04 am And I still don't get the love for Lick It Up...

Gimme More - HORRIBLE lyrics. Some of the worst of their career. Only a couple of their songs have lyrics that are deal breakers, but that's one of them. Cringe-worthy.

Fits Like A Glove - Bad song. Lots of energy, but a crap song.

Dance All Over Your Face - Even worse. Awful.

And On The 8th Day - GodAwful. A disaster.

Yeah, an album with that much garbage shouldn't get the kind of love LIU gets. So, I just don't get it.
Agreed!!!
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

GACatmandu wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:35 pm Crazy Nights is the best non makeup album by far.
In your opinion. To me,I can't stand the weak sound. And the majority of the songs aren't that good. My view on it.
Hi I'm Witz

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

Ace Cadet wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:03 pm I’m sure it’s been done but please humor me.
No.
southwest91
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by southwest91 »

HITS for me is their best non make up album.I like it's relax summer style without the forced hair metalish of their previous albums. I also like revenge but I think lyrically wise it's horrendous with awkward at best moments
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

This from a Facebook group. Outside of this forum REVENGE always wins these polls. Here it’s (inexplicably) deemed overrated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kissoff
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Kissoff »

Bruce wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:39 am
Ace Cadet wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:18 am
Bruce wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:43 pm You know my mind ... and ... I have voted, accordingly.
Of course...
I used to be so gracious and magnanimous, when I first joined this premier forum. Since that time, I've become far more obstinate ...

And I for one, love ya for it!!!
Glasgow Kiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

Mr Slow wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:40 am This from a Facebook group. Outside of this forum REVENGE always wins these polls. Here it’s (inexplicably) deemed overrated.
These things are always subjective based on the sample of people voting - it's just two random samples of Kiss fans - as such, there's no "right" or "wrong" answer coming out of them. Unless you've got 100% of the same demographic voting in both polls it shouldn't be any kind of surprise when they come out different.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Kissoff wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:45 am And I for one, love ya for it!!!
Yippee ki yay, all you MF'ers!!

Legsofsteel
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Legsofsteel »

Glasgow Kiss wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:52 am
Mr Slow wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:40 am This from a Facebook group. Outside of this forum REVENGE always wins these polls. Here it’s (inexplicably) deemed overrated.
These things are always subjective based on the sample of people voting - it's just two random samples of Kiss fans - as such, there's no "right" or "wrong" answer coming out of them. Unless you've got 100% of the same demographic voting in both polls it shouldn't be any kind of surprise when they come out different.
I concur.
Easy Catman
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Easy Catman »

Asylum
King
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by King »

Lick It Up
Asylum
Hot In The Shade
Animalize
Revenge
Carnival Of Souls
Crazy Nights
B5Erik
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

In 2002 or so I did a similar poll on the KISS Asylum board - only for ALL of the KISS studio albums, and I had people rank all of them so that #1 got 20 points, and #20 got 1 point, etc. We had about 200 responses.

Revenge won that poll by a wide margin.

This is the only group I've ever seen where Revenge isn't held in high regard by a vast majority of the members.
Glasgow Kiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

B5Erik wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:50 am
In 2002 or so I did a similar poll on the KISS Asylum board - only for ALL of the KISS studio albums, and I had people rank all of them so that #1 got 20 points, and #20 got 1 point, etc. We had about 200 responses.

This is the only group I've ever seen where Revenge isn't held in high regard by a vast majority of the members.
A few things stick out - the poll you mention was nearly 20 years ago with Revenge more in people's minds as it was only a decade or so old. It would have also been by and large a different subset of Kiss fans who responded to it than have to this one...these things are invariably just a bit of fun, and there's no point in anyone getting over-invested in the results.

I'd contend that Revenge is held in fairly high regard on this board as befits its status as one of the last good albums Kiss were to to do...the album's generally well-liked without any real animus towards it, and most people regard that tour as being a high point setlist wise.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Glasgow Kiss wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:06 am

A few things stick out - the poll you mention was nearly 20 years ago with Revenge more in people's minds as it was only a decade or so old. It would have also been by and large a different subset of Kiss fans who responded to it than have to this one...these things are invariably just a bit of fun, and there's no point in anyone getting over-invested in the results.

I'd contend that Revenge is held in fairly high regard on this board as befits its status as one of the last good albums Kiss were to to do...the album's generally well-liked without any real animus towards it, and most people regard that tour as being a high point setlist wise.
I don’t think anyone is taking it too seriously or over invested in it. It’s just interesting that it’s such a clear result in both forums yet the winner is a completely different album.

As for REVENGE being highly regarded; here are 3 recent topics, including one titled “why is Revenge overrated”. It seems like pretty much half the FAQ consider it overrated. 🤷‍♂️

viewtopic.php?p=3271055#p3271055

viewtopic.php?p=3240066#p3240066

viewtopic.php?p=3275115#p3275115
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glasgow Kiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

Mr Slow wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:48 pm

I don’t think anyone is taking it too seriously or over invested in it. It’s just interesting that it’s such a clear result in both forums yet the winner is a completely different album.

As for REVENGE being highly regarded; here are 3 recent topics, including one titled “why is Revenge overrated”. It seems like pretty much half the FAQ consider it overrated. 🤷‍♂️

So what if they do? You clearly love it and if some others on the board don't to the same degree you do it's not like you're going to change their minds.

There are similar threads about most of the albums in the Kiss canon with a similar levels of criticism, some of it justified and some perhaps less so...I really don't see Revenge being singled out for any especially harsh treatment.
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

Let’s do that poll again.

24 choices. Studio albums only. Including the four 1978 solo records.
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

rank all of them so that #1 gets 24 points, and #24 got 1 point, etc.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Glasgow Kiss wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:13 pm
Mr Slow wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:48 pm

So what if they do? You clearly love it and if some others on the board don't to the same degree you do it's not like you're going to change their minds.

There are similar threads about most of the albums in the Kiss canon with a similar levels of criticism, some of it justified and some perhaps less so...I really don't see Revenge being singled out for any especially harsh treatment.
You seem to be misunderstanding what’s going on here. Nobody is upset or angered by any of this. I just find it interesting that a bunch of KISS fans here can have such a different view of the same thing. Ask any other question to these 2 groups and I think the result would be similar. But when it comes to REVENGE the majority here don’t seem to be into it. That’s it. No big deal. Nobody is losing any sleep. 🤷‍♂️
Hotter Than Heck

Post by Hotter Than Heck »

Bruce

Post by Bruce »

-- Can you smell what I'm cookin'?
criss75
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by criss75 »

Animalize. And Thrills In The Night is underrated.
Andy Capp

Post by Andy Capp »

GACatmandu wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:35 pm Crazy Nights is the best non makeup album by far.
very interesting---- old Andy was not expecting this....
Kissoff
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Kissoff »

Bruce wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:57 pm Image

-- Can you smell what I'm cookin'?
Lasagne soup!?!?!?!
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

KIϟϟ wine has better odds of approaching my lips than lasagne soup -- and there's no chance of that happening.
hooligan3
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by hooligan3 »

I could have gone with any of the first 3, but decided on Asylum. I've just always had fond memories of that album. I was 16, the show was awesome, and Tears Are Falling was all over MTV.