Will there be unseen Vintage footage (70's-Early 80's) in the 4 hour A&E Special??

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Terry Zeppelin
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Will there be unseen Vintage footage (70's-Early 80's) in the 4 hour A&E Special??

Post by Terry Zeppelin »

Hopefully we get to see footage of possibly Boogie? Or the Cadillac, MI concert. That would be KILLER. Or better yet...The Barry Richards Rock n Roll Show
FiveCardStud
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: Will there be unseen Vintage footage (70's-Early 80's) in the 4 hour A&E Special??

Post by FiveCardStud »

Yes
Eddie Van Hazel
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Will there be unseen Vintage footage (70's-Early 80's) in the 4 hour A&E Special??

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

Hoping so.
Den Dennis
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Den Dennis »

Possibly some magical unseen photos too.
CStomp1
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by CStomp1 »

Terry Zeppelin wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 3:19 pm Hopefully we get to see footage of possibly Boogie? Or the Cadillac, MI concert. That would be KILLER. Or better yet...The Barry Richards Rock n Roll Show
Hoping for Cobo 1975.

What's the Barry Richards Rock n Roll Show, and when was KISS on it? What's Boogie? Been around here a long time and it's the first I recall these two things being mentioned.
tazchris
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by tazchris »

Tokyo 1978 would be great too.
kiss-1976
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kiss-1976 »

Jeff Suhs has confirmed in another thread that there is indeed unseen footage included in the documentary that the band themselves didn't know about. I'm hoping for that and rare photos as well.. I'm sure it'll be done well.
kiss-1976
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kiss-1976 »

I'm guessing that the trailer should drop soon to kick off an ungodly amount of threads discussing each and every film frame 😊
Terry Zeppelin
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Terry Zeppelin »

CStomp1 wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 4:06 pm
Terry Zeppelin wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 3:19 pm Hopefully we get to see footage of possibly Boogie? Or the Cadillac, MI concert. That would be KILLER. Or better yet...The Barry Richards Rock n Roll Show
Hoping for Cobo 1975.

What's the Barry Richards Rock n Roll Show, and when was KISS on it? What's Boogie? Been around here a long time and it's the first I recall these two things being mentioned.

Both are from 1974 and are holy grail tv appearances that are long rumoured to be 'lost' through the sands of time. Boogie is a canadian show that interviewed KISS circa '74...and The Barry Richard Rock and Soul show i think is the correct title. KISS lip synchs one or two songs. Details are murky on this one but is also from '74. Both shows were kinda like American Bandstand/Soul Train shows with dancers, bands etc...
KISSFACE
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by KISSFACE »

It’ll be unseen if you don’t watch it! πŸ˜„
razor
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by razor »

kiss-1976 wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 4:17 pm I'm guessing that the trailer should drop soon to kick off an ungodly amount of threads discussing each and every film frame 😊
well said its the truth
Strutterer
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Strutterer »

I suspect there will be unseen footage and images throughout. I'm hoping this will be easy to consume post-airing on A&E, like distribution via Amazon Prime or something. Maybe, just maybe, we get the final edition of Kisstory as part of its home release?
kiss-1976
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kiss-1976 »

Strutterer wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 6:56 pm I suspect there will be unseen footage and images throughout. I'm hoping this will be easy to consume post-airing on A&E, like distribution via Amazon Prime or something. Maybe, just maybe, we get the final edition of Kisstory as part of its home release?
This really needs to be an all out blu-ray release with extras to cash in. Otherwise you know fans are only going to buy the bootleg copies that'll pop up a week or so after broadcast.
wjs296
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by wjs296 »

I would have to believe we will see some rare clips. Part of the challenge now is that the film is so old a lot of it probably not in great shape anymore. Hopefully, they transferred some things to a digital format before it was too far gone.
razor
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by razor »

kiss-1976 wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 8:17 pm
Strutterer wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 6:56 pm I suspect there will be unseen footage and images throughout. I'm hoping this will be easy to consume post-airing on A&E, like distribution via Amazon Prime or something. Maybe, just maybe, we get the final edition of Kisstory as part of its home release?
This really needs to be an all out blu-ray release with extras to cash in. Otherwise you know fans are only going to buy the bootleg copies that'll pop up a week or so after broadcast.
true
what also bugs me is that they didn't do this with all the vh1 specials
album focus,fan club , beyond the make up , when kiss ruled the worls etc
TT714
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by TT714 »

Well like Gene said in exposed "We've recorded every concert since 1973" I'm sure that Lisbon blood spitting footage will be shown , along with the love gun costumes creatures show.

In all seriousness I hope we see something we already haven't
jetcity
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by jetcity »

Barry Richards, Tea with Lea, and Boogie are not in the A&E documentary. The shows are gone...for good.

The effort (both for the A&E doc and in general over the years) that has gone into searching for those three 1974 appearances is simply staggering. For example, Tea With Lea was a short-lived show in Winnipeg, and on May 25, 1974 KISS appeared on the show. Almost nothing is known about the content of the appearance, but we do know from a statement by a local journalist that the camera crew filmed "hours" of footage at the KISS / Savoy Brown / Manfred Mann concert in Winnipeg on May 16 for the episode.

To try and track that footage down we:
  • Attempted to contact the cameraman for the show and the journalist who mentioned the hours of footage, only to find they are long since dead, but we have reached out to their families to see if the tapes were bequeathed to the existing family members.
  • We determined the producer of the show is deceased as well.
  • We contacted the local historical societies.
  • We contacted the station that produced and aired it.
  • We figured out who the Warner Bros. rep was at the time (recall Warner were doing the promotion for Casablanca at that point) and tracked him down.
  • We contacted some crew members of Manfred Mann and Savoy Brown who were at the May 16, 1974 concert that was filmed for the episode and while one of them had a couple of cool photos of KISS and their crew, none of them had any material or information on Tea With Lea.
  • And in the cases of the deceased cameraman, we figured out when he died, where he died, what funeral home held the service and contacted them for a copy of the guest registry to see if it clued us into any media-type persons who may be good leads. Yes...we seriously got a funeral registry to find KISS footage.
And we came up empty. The footage is almost certainly gone for good. Still, despite the occasional strike outs, there has been some amazing footage that has been discovered for the A&E doc.
kiss-1976
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kiss-1976 »

jetcity wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 9:08 pm
Barry Richards, Tea with Lea, and Boogie are not in the A&E documentary. The shows are gone...for good.

The effort (both for the A&E doc and in general over the years) that has gone into searching for those three 1974 appearances is simply staggering. For example, Tea With Lea was a short-lived show in Winnipeg, and on May 25, 1974 KISS appeared on the show. Almost nothing is known about the content of the appearance, but we do know from a statement by a local journalist that the camera crew filmed "hours" of footage at the KISS / Savoy Brown / Manfred Mann concert in Winnipeg on May 16 for the episode.

• Attempted to contact the cameraman for the show and the journalist who mentioned the hours of footage, only to find they are long since dead, but we have reached out to their families to see if the tapes were bequeathed to the existing family members.
  • We figured out who the Warner Bros. rep was at the time (recall Warner were doing the promotion for Casablanca at that point) and tracked him down.
  • We contacted some crew members of Manfred Mann and Savoy Brown who were at the May 16, 1974 concert that was filmed for the episode and while one of them had a couple of cool photos of KISS and their crew, none of them had any material or information on Tea With Lea.
  • And in the cases of the deceased cameraman, we figured out when he died, where he died, what funeral home held the service and contacted them for a copy of the guest registry to see if it clued us into any media-type persons who may be good leads. Yes...we seriously got a funeral registry to find KISS footage.
And we came up empty. The footage is almost certainly gone for good. Still, despite the occasional strike outs, there has been some amazing footage that has been discovered for the A&E doc.
Amazing. I love reading this kind of research information. If everyone was so diligent in doing this in their local areas then who knows what other gems could turn up? Thank you for your continued efforts.
razor
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by razor »

thank you once again for your effort well said , i couldn't have said it better my self
balish

Post by balish »

Winterland 1974?
The Silver Spoon
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by The Silver Spoon »

I would love there to be some rare/unseen footage as I am sure that everyone on this board would love it. I am however very realistic that this is a commercial venture designed for the masses - all around the world. The best footage will be used - not the rarest. Probably seen most of it.

I’m taking this view so I am not disappointed. This should be for the world - not the hard core fans on this board.

Ok. Let me have it.
lord71

Post by lord71 »

Den Dennis wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 4:03 pm Possibly some magical unseen photos too.
Wait...Isn't there a book (work in progress) for this?
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

The Silver Spoon wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 11:01 pm I would love there to be some rare/unseen footage as I am sure that everyone on this board would love it. I am however very realistic that this is a commercial venture designed for the masses - all around the world. The best footage will be used - not the rarest. Probably seen most of it.

I’m taking this view so I am not disappointed. This should be for the world - not the hard core fans on this board.

Ok. Let me have it.
I partially agree with you. And frankly, especially at four hours, I don't have much interest in hearing the "Kiss story" yet again, and especially long-winded "what Kiss means to me" testimonies particularly from talking heads I couldn't care less about. I hope they realize that a four-hour Kiss special is not just for the world, and honestly not many are going to commit to four hours of the Kiss story unless they're a fan. They're going to need a lot of genuine Kiss-fan viewers, so they better have some good material. If part 1 is a bust, mainly just the same 'ol same 'ol, watch for a steep loss of viewership for part 2.
Tito

Post by Tito »

jetcity wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 9:08 pm Still, despite the occasional strike outs, there has been some amazing footage that has been discovered for the A&E doc.
That's great to hear. So were you involved in the documentary?
stutterer

Post by stutterer »

It Will Be There.
Pete2174

Post by Pete2174 »

For some reason I read this as "Will there be unseen Vinnie footage (70's-Early 80's)"!
stutterer

Post by stutterer »

Pete2174 wrote: ↑Fri May 14, 2021 12:33 am For some reason I read this as "Will there be unseen Vinnie footage (70's-Early 80's)"!
Unseen Vinnige, as in anything that pertains to Vinnie.
KiwiKeven1966
Banned
Banned

Post by KiwiKeven1966 »

Ah Yes , Leave no grieving family member unacosted ...... people are grieving and have to deal with some clown to see if they are in possession of rare Kiss video footage so they can rush back to their vault and horde !! .... look what I've got and you don't ... There is a word in the english dictionary to describe you : VULTURE .. next time you channel surf and come across a david attenborough documentary , hang around you may see yourself !!!!!!!!
rwgriffith
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by rwgriffith »

I am extremely hopeful for some cool and kick ass unseen footage.
KingOfHearts89
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

I suspect a lot of gymnasiums and y'know it's funny sentences.
Strutterer
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Strutterer »

razor wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 8:41 pm
kiss-1976 wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 8:17 pm
true
what also bugs me is that they didn't do this with all the vh1 specials
album focus,fan club , beyond the make up , when kiss ruled the worls etc
Blu ray would be an excellent package, perhaps with some other goodies like t-shirts or whatever.

I would personally prefer a streaming link or digital download but to each their own.
jetcity
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by jetcity »

KiwiKeven1966 wrote: ↑Fri May 14, 2021 1:53 am
Ah Yes , Leave no grieving family member unacosted ...... people are grieving and have to deal with some clown to see if they are in possession of rare Kiss video footage so they can rush back to their vault and horde !! .... look what I've got and you don't ... There is a word in the english dictionary to describe you : VULTURE .. next time you channel surf and come across a david attenborough documentary , hang around you may see yourself !!!!!!!!
Well, you certainly didn't get cheated on that swing...but you missed the ball by a mile.

First of all, the people who were deceased had died 20-30 years ago. These weren't 'grieving' family members, and we asked the funeral home (not the family) for the registry which, again, was 20+ years old.

Secondly, the families (had we found anything) would have made thousands of dollars in licensing fees should they have chosen to allow any film/tape's inclusion in the documentary.

And the absurd accusation of hoarding falls apart considering that the express purpose of finding this footage was to broadcast it in the A&E documentary, which definitively dismisses your hoarding accusation.
johnkissfan1974
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by johnkissfan1974 »

TT714 wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 8:45 pm Well like Gene said in exposed "We've recorded every concert since 1973" I'm sure that Lisbon blood spitting footage will be shown , along with the love gun costumes creatures show.

In all seriousness I hope we see something we already haven't
Every concert means every tour NOT EVERY SHOW. Even that statement Gene made was a lie bc there are NO pro shot shows from thr Asylum tour!
jetcity
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by jetcity »

Tito wrote: ↑Fri May 14, 2021 12:28 am
jetcity wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 9:08 pm Still, despite the occasional strike outs, there has been some amazing footage that has been discovered for the A&E doc.
That's great to hear. So were you involved in the documentary?
No, not directly anyway. I did help do a lot of research in attempting to unearth as much unseen footage as we could, but I was not a paid or official part of the staff. I have not (and will not) see the final cut before it debuts, but I can think of 10 different concerts we discovered unseen footage of from just 1974-75 alone. How much of that ends up in the doc, I don't know.

And that's just the stuff the research staff uncovered. That doesn't include all the material that the band owned that is unseen and will be in the doc.

The filmmakers wanted from day one to include unseen footage, and not just the Alive II promo film for the 124th time. Even in the case of common things they made the effort to find the original source elements and do new scans (up to 4K in some cases) from them.
KISStock
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by KISStock »

I do recall Ivan Kral said he recorded about a minute of footage of the band at the New Years' Eve Academy of Music, I wonder if that was found?
mrmajester
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by mrmajester »

What I'm really hoping for is some of Lydia's home movie stuff, especially aboard the bullet train in Japan where the band are sans make up, I'd love to see more unmasked footage of them in the '70's, fascinating stuff.
jetcity
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by jetcity »

KISStock wrote: ↑Fri May 14, 2021 9:31 am I do recall Ivan Kral said he recorded about a minute of footage of the band at the New Years' Eve Academy of Music, I wonder if that was found?
Yes, over 20 years ago. The footage was from the Academy of Music but was filmed on January 26, 1974. It is not the best of footage but it does include Paul performing in the bandit makeup which is the only known film/video of Paul in this short-lived makeup design that I am aware of.

We used it to promote KISS Alive Forever at a couple of conventions back then. I thought it circulated but I may be wrong on that point.
gothunder

Post by gothunder »

jetcity wrote: ↑Fri May 14, 2021 9:06 am
Well, you certainly didn't get cheated on that swing...but you missed the ball by a mile.

First of all, the people who were deceased had died 20-30 years ago. These weren't 'grieving' family members, and we asked the funeral home (not the family) for the registry which, again, was 20+ years old.

Secondly, the families (had we found anything) would have made thousands of dollars in licensing fees should they have chosen to allow any film/tape's inclusion in the documentary.

And the absurd accusation of hoarding falls apart considering that the express purpose of finding this footage was to broadcast it in the A&E documentary, which definitively dismisses your hoarding accusation.
ZING! :lol:
pdf0427
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by pdf0427 »

Nothing like a first post laying in to someone.
sugardaddy

Post by sugardaddy »

gothunder wrote: ↑Fri May 14, 2021 11:11 am
jetcity wrote: ↑Fri May 14, 2021 9:06 am

ZING! :lol:
Thanks for all your efforts Jet
redinthesky

Post by redinthesky »

The funny thing is, there probably are some crazy Kiss fans out there who would go up to a close relative of the deceased at a funeral and say, "I'm a fellow Kiss fan, like the deceased was. Big fan like him. Is it true he had Tokyo '78 on video?"
Diss

Post by Diss »

jetcity wrote: ↑Fri May 14, 2021 11:08 am
KISStock wrote: ↑Fri May 14, 2021 9:31 am I do recall Ivan Kral said he recorded about a minute of footage of the band at the New Years' Eve Academy of Music, I wonder if that was found?
Yes, over 20 years ago. The footage was from the Academy of Music but was filmed on January 26, 1974. It is not the best of footage but it does include Paul performing in the bandit makeup which is the only known film/video of Paul in this short-lived makeup design that I am aware of.

We used it to promote KISS Alive Forever at a couple of conventions back then. I thought it circulated but I may be wrong on that point.
That was as great find. Curious if you have any knowledge of what may have been included in that shelved documentary from a few years ago. Any idea if anything special from a "rarity" standpoint would've been featured in that? Still can't believe that one couldn't get released. Would love to interview the director on that story.
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

Has anyone online talked about seeing Kiss on those Canadian shows? Is the unseen footage from concerts 8mm or video?
johnkissfan1974
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Its out there
Den Dennis
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Den Dennis »

pdf0427 wrote: ↑Fri May 14, 2021 11:29 am Nothing like a first post laying in to someone.
Smells like Elderguy/Bigjohnsfirehouse. They just can't keep away...
Marty Scurll
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Marty Scurll »

johnkissfan1974 wrote: ↑Fri May 14, 2021 12:13 pm
Its out there
Anything at all as far as unseen Destroyer,Dynasty or Creatures era footage? Thanks in advance.
That 70s Guy

Post by That 70s Guy »

No
metaldad

Post by metaldad »

Yes
And all this will be neatly packaged in a dvd- blu ray
For a future release
johnkissfan1974
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Marty Scurll wrote: ↑Fri May 14, 2021 3:48 pm
johnkissfan1974 wrote: ↑Fri May 14, 2021 12:13 pm
Its out there
Anything at all as far as unseen Destroyer,Dynasty or Creatures era footage? Thanks in advance.
Personally speaking - Dynasty and Destroyer yes. Aside for Creatures era news reports and the Rio β€˜83 show no .
JJ Smalling II
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by JJ Smalling II »

Probably unlikely but it's worth asking: Any recording studio footage floating around from the 70s era?