"Kiss is Cracker Barrel" says Doc Mcgee

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Tommyr
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: "Kiss is Cracker Barrel" says Doc Mcgee

Post by Tommyr »

Fuck Doc. What a stupid thing to say.
Andy Capp
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Andy Capp »

ZachAttack wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 10:06 am Kiss serves shitty food "cooked" in an industrial microwave that old people eat because it reminds them of the "good old days"?
hahaha--- πŸ˜‚ ... who`s up for some Cracker Barrel--??
Andy Capp

Post by Andy Capp »

monkafunk wrote: ↑Fri May 14, 2021 7:37 am So Kiss is an overpriced gift shop with a shitty restaurant that serves low quality food attached to it. And lots of obese, semi-literate people seated all around you.

Yeah, that sounds about right.
some of you are gonna make old Andy hit the floor---- πŸ˜‚
ZachAttack

Post by ZachAttack »

Super Bee wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 11:13 am
Tallbear13 wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 10:50 am Cracker Barrel great breakfast, mom loved the country fried steak with gravy

This right here. They have the best pancakes ever.

Back on topic. . . .
Yeah I love paying $10 for 2 eggs and a slice of bacon
Goodwilltowardsall
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

KIss is more like one of those mega-cow-burgers that they sell at Hardees.
KISSTRONAUT
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

I don’t know about the analogy but my Mom loves the place.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

"Gene [Simmons] and Paul [Stanley] and Tommy [Thayer] and Eric [Singer] are determined to be the best at what they do. We don't go and write songs and try to be PEARL JAM or try to be RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE or try to be anything else β€” we do four chords and bad lyrics, and it fucking works fabulous for KISS. And we blow shit up. And the collectability of KISS and the aura around KISS is monstrous; it's infectious. It excites me every day.
I don't think Paul will appreciate that line.
whitesnake7575
Banned
Banned

Post by whitesnake7575 »

Tommyr wrote: ↑Fri May 14, 2021 3:31 pm Fuck Doc. What a stupid thing to say.
Explains why he’s pushed Gene and Paul to bring in anonymous scabs, tour for two decades doing basically the same show since 1996, supported the fake 1998 reunion album etc. Doc has absolutely zero respect for the music or the legacy or the artistry. All he cares about is money. He makes Gene look like Mother Theresa.
acesmiddlefinger

Post by acesmiddlefinger »

Surely this was tongue in cheek??

That said comments like this are like water off a duck's back to Gene and Paul. You can't rewrite the history that the band has created. It must really annoy the critics that they have been around for so long. Not bad for a band with bad lyrics and four chords who inspired a generation of musicians to play an instrument.
Pete2174

Post by Pete2174 »

acesmiddlefinger wrote: ↑Sat May 15, 2021 5:18 am Surely this was tongue in cheek??

That said comments like this are like water off a duck's back to Gene and Paul. You can't rewrite the history that the band has created. It must really annoy the critics that they have been around for so long. Not bad for a band with bad lyrics and four chords who inspired a generation of musicians to play an instrument.
And one more chord than the mighty Status Quo ever found!! πŸ˜‚
Kissoff
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Kissoff »

Grizzly Adams wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 3:28 pm I always get the lasagna soup when I go to Cracker Barrel.
Now that's effing funny right there!!!
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

His Majesty wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 10:10 am Oh Christ, he's pulling the James Bond analogy.
Lazy, and incorrect.
No. It's apt AND correct.

Spaceman is a character with undeniable "fictional" or fantastic underpinnings, not based on the real life Ace: dresses up as a spaceman, comes from planet Jendell, can levitate, shoots rockets etc.

Moreover, Spaceman is trademarked and can bought and sold. Ace sold/leased the rights to the Spaceman character - he didn't sell himself of course, because he is Ace Frehley, not Spaceman.

As a result, said role can be portayed by any actor/employee deemed fit by the Kiss Corp. How much of the Spaceman character had "real" Ace Frehley in it originally doesn't change the fact that it is a character. Tommy is only "pretending to be" Spaceman, not Paul "Ace" Frehley (I've never heard Tommy claim the latter, in or out of costume! :D )
Spiritual_Chaos

Post by Spiritual_Chaos »

gene therapist wrote: ↑Sat May 15, 2021 6:05 am
His Majesty wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 10:10 am Oh Christ, he's pulling the James Bond analogy.
Lazy, and incorrect.

Spaceman is a character with undeniable "fictional" or fantastic underpinnings, not based on the real life Ace: dresses up as a spaceman, comes from planet Jendell, can levitate, shoots rockets etc.

Moreover, Spaceman is trademarked and can bought and sold. Ace sold/leased the rights to the Spaceman character - he didn't sell himself of course, because he is Ace Frehley, not Spaceman.

As a result, said role can be portayed by any actor/employee deemed fit by the Kiss Corp. How much of the Spaceman character had "real" Ace Frehley in it originally doesn't change the fact that it is a character. Tommy is only "pretending to be" Spaceman, not Paul "Ace" Frehley (I've never heard Tommy claim the latter, in or out of costume! :D )
No it is not completely correct. Or apt. Because you are leaving one thing out.

Sean Connery played the character Bond in one, then two, then a few more film adaptions of books where the character originated.

Sean Connery didn't invent/come up with the character of James Bond.
whitesnake7575
Banned
Banned

Post by whitesnake7575 »

A better comparison is Alice Cooper.

Would you stick someone else in the spider eyes and give him a cane and send him out on tour to sing No More Mr Nice Guy?

Even with the remaining members of the original Cooper band?
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Spiritual_Chaos wrote: ↑Sat May 15, 2021 6:23 am
Lazy, and incorrect.

No it is not completely correct. Or apt. Because you are leaving one thing out.

Sean Connery played the character Bond in one, then two, then a few more film adaptions of books where the character originated.

Absolutely right. Space Ace or Spaceman wouldn't exist at all if not for Ace Frehley creating his alter ego.

Equating this to James Bond or any other fictional character that multiple actors have played is not only wrong, but a completely moronic argument.
rscott71

Post by rscott71 »

the very same alter ego that Ace himself sold to gene and Paul
rwgriffith
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by rwgriffith »

I hate Cracker Barrel. Both of my ex-mother in laws loved going there...spending an hour there feels like three hours and it is just fucking miserable. πŸ˜’
scottbassist
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scottbassist »

Coventry1973 wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 10:15 am
Pete2174 wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 10:12 am WTF is a Cracker Barrel?
Where old people (like me) go to eat
I love Cracker Barrel. They often have pretty cool pop-culture items in their shopping area, too.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

rscott71 wrote: ↑Sat May 15, 2021 4:54 pm the very same alter ego that Ace himself sold to gene and Paul
Doesn't make it any less wrong.
rscott71

Post by rscott71 »

Grand Classic wrote: ↑Sat May 15, 2021 5:50 pm
rscott71 wrote: ↑Sat May 15, 2021 4:54 pm the very same alter ego that Ace himself sold to gene and Paul
you care more about it than Ace does
ftjr1974
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by ftjr1974 »

ZachAttack wrote: ↑Fri May 14, 2021 7:08 pm
Super Bee wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 11:13 am
Tallbear13 wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 10:50 am Cracker Barrel great breakfast, mom loved the country fried steak with gravy

This right here. They have the best pancakes ever.

Back on topic. . . .
Yeah I love paying $10 for 2 eggs and a slice of bacon
Today at Walmart I got 18 eggs and two packs of great value thick sliced bacon for less than $10!
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

rscott71 wrote: ↑Sat May 15, 2021 8:46 pm
Ace obviously cares very much. Sometimes people make bad or regrettable decisions when they need money.
FiveCardStud
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by FiveCardStud »

Grand Classic wrote: ↑Sat May 15, 2021 8:57 pm
Ace obviously cares very much. Sometimes people make bad decisions when they need money.
Yep Damn true

Which is why I find Peter and Ace complaining stupid, you guys signed off on it !
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

FiveCardStud wrote: ↑Sat May 15, 2021 8:58 pm
Ace obviously cares very much. Sometimes people make bad decisions when they need money.
Yep Damn true

Which is why I find Peter and Ace complaining stupid, you guys signed off on it !
Countless people spend their whole lives complaining about bad or regrettable decisions they have made in their lives. I don't think Ace and Peter are the exception.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

Weird, I had never heard of Cracker Barrel in all my life when I read that interview.
Since then I read Juliana Hatfield's memoir and she and her band stops at Cracker Barrels all the time, on tour.
Spiritual_Chaos

Doub't you would have been able to foresee what they would do with the makeup-design if you would have been in the position to sell the rights or not for royalties.

Pretty sure you would also be able to regret a bad decision, or a decision that wasn't fully thought out.

Get off that laughable high horse of yours.
Spiritual_Chaos

FiveCardStud wrote: ↑Sat May 15, 2021 8:58 pm
Yep Damn true

You do know that Detective Mills and his wife Tracy bought an apartment, but couldn't foresee at the time that the subway would run just pass it so they have to hold onto their glasses when Detective Semerset stops buy for dinner.

But they did "sign off on" buying the apartment.
nibbler1982

Post by nibbler1982 »

Lazy, and incorrect.

You’re a 1000% correct Brother Gene.

So many refuse to embrace the truth. In fact some here run from it like the plague.

Here’s the reality about the aforementioned Spaceman and how Ace Frehley pertains to it.
DDC1231B-C8D3-415A-AAE4-7714354BB3E1.jpeg
4C1316B0-50EC-4656-B2F4-E1DE38C7759D.jpeg
The document reads as such.

"'Spaceman' is not limited to a known individual"

"the public recognizes the 'KISS' characterization 'Spaceman' without recognition of the individual or knowledge of his legal name"

"The public associates the 'KISS' characterization 'Spaceman' with the musical group 'KISS' and not the individual behind the characterization."

All of the above is the actual definition of the character The Spaceman (originally portrayed by Ace Frehley). This is the reality of the situation. If your not a member of either of the aforementioned you have no say about the subject whatsoever.

Kinda like James Bond.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

nibbler1982 wrote: ↑Sun May 16, 2021 9:17 am
Lazy, and incorrect.

So many refuse to embrace the truth. In fact some here run from it like the plague.

Here’s the reality about the aforementioned Spaceman and how Ace Frehley pertains to it.
DDC1231B-C8D3-415A-AAE4-7714354BB3E1.jpeg4C1316B0-50EC-4656-B2F4-E1DE38C7759D.jpeg

"the public recognizes the 'KISS' characterization 'Spaceman' without recognition of the individual or knowledge of his legal name"

"The public associates the 'KISS' characterization 'Spaceman' with the musical group 'KISS' and not the individual behind the characterization."

All of the above is the actual definition of the character The Spaceman (originally portrayed by Ace Frehley). This is the reality of the situation. If your not a member of either of the aforementioned you have no say about the subject whatsoever.

Kinda like James Bond.
Except Ace actually created the character. Whatever legal terms were added after that fact for protection like if Ace died are irrelevant in this capacity. So no, not like James Bond.

It is only like James Bond if someone other than Ace created the character/make up and that is not the case. Everyone knows that Tommy is playing the role of Ace Frehley in the band. That is the actual truth.
Spiritual_Chaos

Lazy, and incorrect.

DDC1231B-C8D3-415A-AAE4-7714354BB3E1.jpeg4C1316B0-50EC-4656-B2F4-E1DE38C7759D.jpeg

Kinda like James Bond.
My SAAB 9000 is silver

Ace's makeup is silver

Therefore Ace must be kinda like a swedish car

Anything can be "Kinda like"
nibbler1982

Post by nibbler1982 »

Spiritual_Chaos wrote: ↑Sun May 16, 2021 10:35 am
Lazy, and incorrect.

Kinda like James Bond.
My SAAB 9000 is silver

Ace's makeup is silver

Not even close.

The aforementioned document clearly states that the individual Ace Frehley has no bearing whatsoever on the character, The Spaceman.

Anyone can play him.

Just like Bond.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

nibbler1982 wrote: ↑Sun May 16, 2021 12:12 pm
Spiritual_Chaos wrote: ↑Sun May 16, 2021 10:35 am
Lazy, and incorrect.

Kinda like James Bond.
My SAAB 9000 is silver

Ace's makeup is silver

Not even close.

The aforementioned document clearly states that the individual Ace Frehley has no bearing whatsoever on the character, The Spaceman.

Anyone can play him.

Just like Bond.
And yet Ace owned the character he created and for anyone else to play him - he had to give permission or sell it, which he did.

Still not like Bond. If it was like Bond, there would be no need alter Ace on here:

Checkmate.
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

Grand Classic wrote: ↑Sun May 16, 2021 9:38 am Except Ace actually created the character. Whatever legal terms were added after that fact for protection like if Ace died are irrelevant in this capacity. So no, not like James Bond.
A character is originally created by someone. It is quite common for the creator to infuse parts of himself into a character, so the similarities between Spaceman and real-life Ace Frehley are nothing out of the ordinary.
It is only like James Bond if someone other than Ace created the character/make up and that is not the case. Everyone knows that Tommy is playing the role of Ace Frehley in the band. That is the actual truth.
Who created a character is irrelevant in this context. Besides I have NEVER heard anyone in the Kiss camp claim Tommy is "playing the role of Ace Frehley" - because... it wouldn't make any sense. Ace is a person, Spaceman is a character.
Kissoff
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Kissoff »

Grizzly Adams wrote: ↑Thu May 13, 2021 3:28 pm I always get the lasagna soup when I go to Cracker Barrel.
Nice!!!
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

gene therapist wrote: ↑Mon May 17, 2021 4:19 am
Grand Classic wrote: ↑Sun May 16, 2021 9:38 am Except Ace actually created the character. Whatever legal terms were added after that fact for protection like if Ace died are irrelevant in this capacity. So no, not like James Bond.
A character is originally created by someone. It is quite common for the creator to infuse parts of himself into a character, so the similarities between Spaceman and real-life Ace Frehley are nothing out of the ordinary.
Who created a character is irrelevant in this context. Besides I have NEVER heard anyone in the Kiss camp claim Tommy is "playing the role of Ace Frehley" - because... it wouldn't make any sense. Ace is a person, Spaceman is a character.
True. And if you create a character, and sell the rights to that character for a large lump sum, you don't get to complain about if afterwards. You certainly don't get to claim it as your own, even if it's a nice idea for the fans of that character.

If someone buys your car off you when you need the cash, it doesn't make them a bastard, y'know? :lol:
Tito

Post by Tito »

Is a tribute band Catman just as much "the character" as Peter or Eric? :scratch:

The whole thing about the characters is they're for eight-year-olds. You want to wear Spaceman or Demon socks, fine. But the music was made by Ace Frehley and Gene Simmons, and that's what I'm interested in anyway. KISS bringing the characters back in a big way in the merchandise in the later years can be seen as downplaying the presence of replacement members, or as preparation for the future where there is no active band, just the brand. Or both. But as a fan of the music (and somewhat older than eight), I can't bring myself to give a shit about the characters.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Tito wrote: ↑Mon May 17, 2021 6:08 am The whole thing about the characters is they're for eight-year-olds.
Nailed it.
His Majesty

Post by His Majesty »

Lazy, and incorrect.

It would be an apt comparison IF the following scenario occurred.

Ian Fleming creates the character of James Bond. Bond's looks, mannerisms, are the same as Fleming's. Ian then goes to Hollywood, telling the movie studios, "Hey, I created this character, so therefore I am going to play him. He is fictional, but he is based on me, and I insist on playing him." Then a few years down the line, Fleming no longer play the character he created and it is played by someone else. On and on. Ad infinitum.

But since Ace did not create a fictional character when they all gathered at the Loft, brainstorming on ideas on an appearance that would be derived from each member's personality, I'd say the comparison is null and void.

You're thinking Marvel. Hanna Barbera. Image comics, which all came later. (even in the comics and KMTPOTP movie, the KISS members names were used. "They all lose their heads over you, Paul") When KISS started, this was not the game plan. Ace Frehley, who looks like a wacky spaceman, was not a fictional character. He was a guitar player, named Ace Frehley, who looked like a wacky spaceman. In 1978, Ace Frehley released a solo album. The Spaceman did not.

Licensing rights and trademarks aside, which came as a result of their fame and marketing possibilities, when KISS started, they were not fictional characters. They still aren't.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Yes, the 4 KISS characters were created by Paul, Gene, Ace and Peter as extensions of their personality. Every die hard KISS fan knows this.

It's laughable and quite pathetic that you are trying to minimize Ace's creation. No one in the KISS camp is going to say that Tommy is playing the role of Ace Frehley, because they are wanting to sweep that fact under the rug, but anyone with knowledge of KISS and a brain of some sort know exactly that Tommy is pretending to be Ace from his poses, the kinds of songs he has written for Sonic Boom/Monster, his playing, etc.

He sure as shit isn't bringing his own Tommy Thayer style, personality or playing to KISS like Vinnie, Bruce and Mark did.
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

Tito wrote: ↑Mon May 17, 2021 6:08 am Is a tribute band Catman just as much "the character" as Peter or Eric? :scratch:
As a fan, I guess it's entirely up to you to decide.

Whereas the legal standing of the trademarked Kiss character designs is a matter of fact, not opinion. Ace/Peter themselves would readily have to admit that, yes, the characters can indeed be - and indeed have been - bought and sold.

It's cash over any romanticized "preservation of The Legacy", end of story. Ace & Peter could have prevented the "scab fest" from happening but, as we all know, they chose otherwise.
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

Spiritual_Chaos wrote: ↑Sat May 15, 2021 6:23 am No it is not completely correct. Or apt. Because you are leaving one thing out.

Except that it's entirely beside the point who originally created a/the character. A character is a character - or it is not a character. Spaceman is a trademarked character.

By your logic, Tommy should be "more Spaceman" than Ace, because he has portrayed the character longer and on more occasions.
Potato Salad
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Potato Salad »

Cracker Barrel is boring. KISS is anything but boring.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Grand Classic wrote: ↑Mon May 17, 2021 7:03 am
Yes, the 4 KISS characters were created by Paul, Gene, Ace and Peter as extensions of their personality. Every die hard KISS fan knows this.

It's laughable and quite pathetic that you are trying to minimize Ace's creation. No one in the KISS camp is going to say that Tommy is playing the role of Ace Frehley, because they are wanting to sweep that fact under the rug, but anyone with knowledge of KISS and a brain of some sort know exactly that Tommy is pretending to be Ace from his poses, the kinds of songs he has written for Sonic Boom/Monster, his playing, etc.

He sure as shit isn't bringing his own Tommy Thayer style, personality or playing to KISS like Vinnie, Bruce and Mark did.
Imagine a world where you could express a personal opinion without needing to be an absolute dick to the poster of an opposing opinion. :idea: :idea:
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

gene therapist wrote: ↑Mon May 17, 2021 7:08 am
Tito wrote: ↑Mon May 17, 2021 6:08 am Is a tribute band Catman just as much "the character" as Peter or Eric? :scratch:

Whereas the legal standing of the trademarked Kiss character designs is a matter of fact, not opinion. Ace/Peter themselves would readily have to admit that, yes, the characters can indeed be - and indeed have been - bought and sold.

It's cash over any romanticized "preservation of The Legacy", end of story. Ace & Peter could have prevented the "scab fest" from happening but, as we all know, they chose otherwise.
Seriously - who are you trying to kid here?

Yes, Ace and Peter's created characters were sold to KISS - people often do things they regret when they need money, but that doesn't negate the fact that Paul and Gene are trying to maintain the illusion that Ace and Peter are still in the band in addition to Tommy and Eric doing what is required to maintain that illusion.

Again, they are not just being themselves and adding their own style, personality and performance to KISS - like Eric Singer did prior to the makeup as well as Bruce, Mark and Vinnie.

If Tommy was just being the same guitarist and songwriter as he was in Black N' Blue and bringing that to KISS, but was wearing the Ace makeup, that would be a different story, but that isn't the case at all. He's doing his best Ace Frehley impression.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: ↑Mon May 17, 2021 7:32 am

Imagine a world where you could express a personal opinion without needing to be an absolute dick to the poster of an opposing opinion. :idea: :idea:
Not being a dick at all.

Imagine a world where you just ignore people you don't like. :idea: :idea:
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Grand Classic wrote: ↑Mon May 17, 2021 7:36 am

Not being a dick at all.

You're a child.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: ↑Mon May 17, 2021 7:46 am
Grand Classic wrote: ↑Mon May 17, 2021 7:36 am

Not being a dick at all.

You're a child.
You just can't ignore me, can you? You love to hate me.
nibbler1982

Post by nibbler1982 »

gene therapist wrote: ↑Mon May 17, 2021 7:08 am

The problem Brother Gene, is that some here can’t deal with the reality of the situation. What is fact and what is opinion.

All the lashing out and pushback is just a childish knee jerk reaction to the irrefutable truth. And the truth is as such.

The Spaceman...

Is..."not limited to a known individual"

Exists..."without recognition of the individual or knowledge of his legal name"

And atributed to the band KISS..."not the individual behind the characterization"

All these provisions are set forth with the explicit reason of disassociating the artist playing The Spaceman from any importance at all. As per the documents and The Spaceman character (which was born on February 8, 1974)...Ace Frehley is COMPLETELY irrelevant.

Now please don’t shoot the messenger. I’m just reporting the news, not making it.

If anyone has proof that states otherwise please provide it. I, The Nibbler am the champion of truth. I loathe the sound of ignorance when discussing subject matter. There's nothing so ignorant as stating one's own opinion as FACT.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

You seem to ignore the fact that contracts used for protection doesn't negate who created the characters or the fact that Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer are pretending to be Ace and Peter as best they can.

Do you actually think Tommy and Eric are currently acting and performing in a way that would be no different if they weren't wearing the makeup?

You also ignored my post about the KISS My Ass cover - where Ace's makeup had to be changed. Not the Spaceman.
Tito

Post by Tito »

nibbler1982 wrote: ↑Mon May 17, 2021 8:26 am All these provisions are set forth with the explicit reason of disassociating the artist playing The Spaceman from any importance at all. As per the documents and The Spaceman character (which was born on February 8, 1974)...Ace Frehley is COMPLETELY irrelevant.
Going back to KISS being a rock band, how does this translate to the situation of listening to a KISS album?