The Non-Makeup Era

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.

Do you prefer the KIϟϟ records from the non-makeup era?

Yes
9%
No
39%
Listen to All Eras
50%
None of the Above
1%

Total votes: 183

B5Erik
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Re: The Non-Makeup Era

Post by B5Erik »

I love the non-makeup era. It was a ton of fun at the time.

I LOVE Asylum, Revenge, and COS, and I like Animalize a lot. Crazy Nights I don't mind so much, really, but HITS is an album with a ton of crap on it and the wrong songs kept off of it in many cases. (You may have seen MY version of HITS on YouTube... )

It was a great time to be a KISS fan. The shows were SUPER high energy, and just a lot of fun.
Bruce
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Bruce »

This thread's heading in the right direction ...
rwgriffith
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by rwgriffith »

Overall, I prefer the makeup era, but I listen to all eras and lineups to various degrees.
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by TheSpoiler »

Mr Slow wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:21 pm My top 3 are CREATURES, UNMASKED and CARNIVAL OF SOULS, so my answer is no. But I listen to all eras.
My top 3 would be Creatures, Lick It Up and Carnival of Souls, so maybe it's more of a "post-originals" thing for me too. I certainly don't listen to the original band much any more.

And oddly enough, I don't really think of Creatures as being a "makeup era" album either for some reason. Go figure.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

FiveCardStud wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:54 pm They do with some comprehension

Yes make up only
No make up
All eras
I don’t like Kiss

While the last option seems silly on a Kiss forum, meet some of the members and it will make sense
Yes, was surprised to see TWO votes for not liking anything, when in fact there's at least half a dozen people on the board who really don't like Kiss at all. :lol: :lol:
Juern
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Juern »

My favorite lineup is the classic one, and I love me some DTK, LG, RARO or Destroyer. That time and music was what made KISS legendary and will forever serve as their legacy. But I also loved when the band took the road to heavier stuff with Creatures, LIU, Animalize and Asylum. CN - not so much anymore, because they had started chasing trends, HITS: not my album of choice. Revenge: Oh yeah! COS? trend chasing again, but I like it for some great songs. I've already expressed my love for Asylum, and musically the band was never better than during the time with Eric Carr and Bruce Kulick, imo. So, while listening to all albums from all eras, I do prefer the non-makeup-era a little.

Did I miss mentioning Monster and Sonic Boom? I did...
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Yes, you did! Explain ...
ypke

Post by ypke »

Bruce wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:05 pm Good call -- Unplugged is my second favorite record with the original lineup, after Psycho Circus!
Unplugged and Alive3 should be added to the original post. Cause they are great products of the unmasked era.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Alive III is my favorite live album! Sometimes, I get on this kick where I end up playing it quite often. I cannot get my fill. Bruce Kulick and Eric Singer are at least as good on this record as they are on Unplugged. Overall, the level of performance that The KIϟϟ Army demands. And deserves ...
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Bruce wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:53 pm Alive III is my favorite live album! Sometimes, I get on this kick where I end up playing it quite often. I cannot get my fill. Bruce Kulick and Eric Singer are at least as good on this record as they are on Unplugged. Overall, the level of performance that The KIϟϟ Army demands. And deserves ...
Agreed. The version of Deuce on there......just amazing, with Singer turbo-charging the drums.
Juern
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Juern »

Bruce wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:55 am Yes, you did! Explain ...
For me, the make-up-era was over with the release of LIU. Starting it all over again with different members does not initiate an era for me. So, SB and Monster don‘t get counted, I even don‘t listen to them anymore.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I like that Sonic Boom and Monster help to 'legitimitize' Tommy's position in the band. He really did need to appear on a couple records and, unfortunately, thats all he got. I like Modern Day Delilah, alot and a couple other songs from Sonic Boom and Monster. But when compared to Jungle from the last of the non-makeup era, they're just OK. They never eclipsed that.
Juern
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Juern »

Bruce wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:01 pm I like that Sonic Boom and Monster help to 'legitimitize' Tommy's position in the band. He really did need to appear on a couple records and, unfortunately, thats all he got. I like Modern Day Delilah, alot and a couple other songs from Sonic Boom and Monster. But when compared to Jungle from the last of the non-makeup era, they're just OK. They never eclipsed that.
Yes, I don't mind Tommy and Eric being in the band. But it was no "natural transition" in the sense it was in the 80s (e.g. Catman out, Fox in) when they took over for Pete and Ace. That was the moment it was over for me, because I could not relate to the continuation argument and the talks about everybody's replaceable. Of course everyone is as a musician, but not as a character, imo. In my eyes, the current band has no own legacy, and (even for the long time they're together) it definitely can't be counted worth of an "era".