Kiss References In This Is Spinal Tap

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
peterparker78
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Kiss References In This Is Spinal Tap

Post by peterparker78 »

Depending on who is talking, and who one believes, The excellent This Is Spinal Tap is based on either Black Sabbath and / or Saxon tours, with other rock / metal references thrown in e.g. a band member getting stuck his pod; Angel got stuck in their plexi glass cabinets. Think I read somewhere (not making it up, genuinely can't remember) at least three Kiss experiences are featured: the scene where the band get lost finding the stage; Kiss were actually under the stage at "You wanted the best", etc, WATOOMPH ! then - nothing. Another poss reference is when the wireless guitars pick up the air base controller; for Kiss it was either the local taxi radio or an actual radio station. Finally, when Tap's gigs keep being cancelled: it may have been based on Kiss' Dynasty tour, though obv any bands gigs can be cancelled ?...
ozweepay
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Re: Kiss References In This Is Spinal Tap

Post by ozweepay »

Their image was lifted from Saxon, for sure. As far as the other references, it's a bit of a stretch to say they were based on any incident involving Kiss. Most bands went through such ridiculous events in some form or another, no matter how big or small they were. Eddie Van Halen was quoted as saying he hated the movie, as some of the mishaps hit too close to home for him.
JohnBergless
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by JohnBergless »

Oh for sure; but back in the day - stuff like that certainly didn’t apply to just KISS. Could be any touring group from the times. I like the drummer - Mick I think; jumping up on the bass drums after his solo - much like Eric Carr’s signature solo move- and then the bass rolls over and Mick topples to the floor on top of the drums.
Terry Zeppelin
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Terry Zeppelin »

The bass player is dressed like Gene circa Creatures era. And he has Gene-like mannerisms onstage. And the song Big Bottom has the line "My love gun's loaded"...

The part where their shows keep getting canceled seems more like the Creatures era...

And the lead guitarist has a few Ace-type moments i believe...especially during his guitar solo...

And the carousel of different drummers kinda resembles KISS' problem with holding on to a permanent lead guitarist at the time.

And the series of bad reviews (S**t Sandwich) kinda mirrors Kiss' relationship with the Rock press. And Spinal Taps career being ressurected in Japan is kinda like what Kiss went through with Australia and Rio de Janiero when the bottom fell out here in the U.S.
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

I don't think anything in Spinal Tap was a Kiss reference per se, and honestly have never heard that. I do agree that much of it was probably a common thing with many bands. I also remember reading the Casablanca book "And Party Every Day" a long whiles back where the author Larry Harris stated he thought the Spinal Tap "stuck in the pod" scene was directly from Angel's cheesy stage show.

There is one thing in the book I was wondering about, if anyone read the book, not sure I can mention the instance here too specifically, but the author said that Gregg Giuffria of Angel wandered into a Casablanca office and saw "one of our recording artists, in full costume" doing a certain something. Of course as to be expected, Harris didn't name the guy in costume. And in all fairness, "in costume" could have meant a member from various Casablanca acts.
Terry Zeppelin
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Terry Zeppelin »

redinthesky wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:33 pm I don't think anything in Spinal Tap was a Kiss reference per se, and honestly have never heard that. I do agree that much of it was probably a common thing with many bands. I also remember reading the Casablanca book "And Party Every Day" a long whiles back where the author Larry Harris stated he thought the Spinal Tap "stuck in the pod" scene was directly from Angel's cheesy stage show.

There is one thing in the book I was wondering about, if anyone read the book, not sure I can mention the instance here too specifically, but the author said that Gregg Giuffria of Angel wandered into a Casablanca office and saw "one of our recording artists, in full costume" doing a certain something. Of course as to be expected, Harris didn't name the guy in costume. And in all fairness, "in costume" could have meant a member from various Casablanca acts.

It was the indian from The Village People getting "cornholed" over one of the associates desk
whitesnake7575
Banned
Banned

Post by whitesnake7575 »

peterparker78 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:22 pm the scene where the band get lost finding the stage; Kiss were actually under the stage at "You wanted the best", etc, WATOOMPH ! then - nothing.

They wouldn’t have been introduced with you wanted the best before they were on stage in position. That’s not how it works.
Last edited by whitesnake7575 on Wed May 12, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redinthesky

Post by redinthesky »

Terry Zeppelin wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:05 pm
redinthesky wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:33 pm I don't think anything in Spinal Tap was a Kiss reference per se, and honestly have never heard that. I do agree that much of it was probably a common thing with many bands. I also remember reading the Casablanca book "And Party Every Day" a long whiles back where the author Larry Harris stated he thought the Spinal Tap "stuck in the pod" scene was directly from Angel's cheesy stage show.

It was the indian from The Village People getting "cornholed" over one of the associates desk
Is that a guess or did you really hear that for certain?

Going by what I thought the timeframe was, and with the Village People I don't believe having their classic lineup fully set yet (they did by the second album), the gentleman you mentioned was high on my list of probables as he was with them from the very beginning. But if it was indeed him, or heck anyone of course, hey, to each his own, all good. Now, someone has to learn to either a) lock (or close) the darn door, or b) knock before he enters!
FiveCardStud
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by FiveCardStud »

This film has really never been that funny to me. I get the references and POVs but just has always been too silly and forced

To the point of its not funny
Bruce
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Bruce »

I agree about the humor being forced in Spinal Tap. When Janeen joins the proceedings, its doubly so. I want to like it more than I do, but ad libbing is best, for example, when used sparingly. Brevity is the soul of wit, yet many of the set-ups just take too long to deliver. But these 3 comedians really play music well and some of the song lyrics are almost clever.
Terry Zeppelin
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Terry Zeppelin »

redinthesky wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:17 pm
Terry Zeppelin wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:05 pm

Is that a guess or did you really hear that for certain?

Going by what I thought the timeframe was, and with the Village People I don't believe having their classic lineup fully set yet (they did by the second album), the gentleman you mentioned was high on my list of probables as he was with them from the very beginning. But if it was indeed him, or heck anyone of course, hey, to each his own, all good. Now, someone has to learn to either a) lock (or close) the darn door, or b) knock before he enters!
I'm pretty sure it was him. I heard the same story from 2 different sources. Larry Harris talked about it once on a podcast...if i come across it i'll post the link
Tito

Post by Tito »

ozweepay wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:06 pm Their image was lifted from Saxon, for sure.
Nigel Tufnel has to have been modelled after Jeff Beck. Watch this and you'll find yourself expecting him to say "these go to eleven".

Bruce

Post by Bruce »

The best character was Artie Fufkin.
mrmajester
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by mrmajester »

Th getting lost under the stage thing was over here on the Animalize Tour I believe at Newcastle in 1984, 7 months after the movie came out.
Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? »

I think the discussion about the subtle KISS references are valid, because Gene himself has stated he believes the 'Hello Cleveland!' bit is a KISS story. The writers themselves have denied that, but Gene wanted to stake some claim in the movie, and this was the bit:

stutterer

Post by stutterer »

These guys looking as believable as rockstars as Martin Short is as a child in Clifford and jokes being so obvious certainly take away most of the entertainment factor from this movie for me. I don't think any of it is based on Kiss because the movie came out in 1984.
Tito

Post by Tito »

stutterer wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:45 am These guys looking as believable as rockstars
You do realise it's a comedy, right?

stutterer wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:45 am I don't think any of it is based on Kiss because the movie came out in 1984.
By which time KISS had been around for over a decade. :scratch:
rwgriffith
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by rwgriffith »

I am a big fan of THIS IS SPINAL TAP, but I never sit and think it is based on any band. Just a fun comedy!
Tito

Post by Tito »

rwgriffith wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:49 am I am a big fan of THIS IS SPINAL TAP, but I never sit and think it is based on any band. Just a fun comedy!
The thing is it's based on rock'n'roll and heavy metal cliches so it's applicable to most bands.
rwgriffith
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by rwgriffith »

Tito wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:52 am
rwgriffith wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:49 am I am a big fan of THIS IS SPINAL TAP, but I never sit and think it is based on any band. Just a fun comedy!
The thing is it's based on rock'n'roll and heavy metal cliches so it's applicable to most bands.
True. I guess I just don’t think too deeply into it. Great movie and the DVD I own has tons of deleted scenes that are very funny, too.
UltraCynic
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by UltraCynic »

rwgriffith wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:58 am
True. I guess I just don’t think too deeply into it. Great movie and the DVD I own has tons of deleted scenes that are very funny, too.
One of the best movies ever made, and the DVD commentary is incredible.
rwgriffith
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by rwgriffith »

UltraCynic wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:57 am
One of the best movies ever made, and the DVD commentary is incredible.
You are 100% right about that commentary! It is like watching a whole other movie. Probably more funny than the movie itself!!
highvoltage1969

Post by highvoltage1969 »

ozweepay wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:06 pm Their image was lifted from Saxon, for sure. As far as the other references, it's a bit of a stretch to say they were based on any incident involving Kiss. Most bands went through such ridiculous events in some form or another, no matter how big or small they were. Eddie Van Halen was quoted as saying he hated the movie, as some of the mishaps hit too close to home for him.
They spent some R&D time with Saxon on tour before the film went into production.
JohnBergless

Post by JohnBergless »

highvoltage1969 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:21 am
ozweepay wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:06 pm Their image was lifted from Saxon, for sure. As far as the other references, it's a bit of a stretch to say they were based on any incident involving Kiss. Most bands went through such ridiculous events in some form or another, no matter how big or small they were. Eddie Van Halen was quoted as saying he hated the movie, as some of the mishaps hit too close to home for him.
They spent some R&D time with Saxon on tour before the film went into production.
That was done for the movie “Rockstar” as well. The director and his team sat down (with large quantities of beer) extensively with actors Zakk Wylde and Blais from Skid Row, going over in great detail of what life is like on the road in a rock band. I imagine some very good stories were told in those creative meetings.
highvoltage1969

JohnBergless wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:18 am
highvoltage1969 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:21 am
That was done for the movie “Rockstar” as well. The director and his team sat down (with large quantities of beer) extensively with actors Zakk Wylde and Blais from Skid Row, going over in great detail of what life is like on the road in a rock band. I imagine some very good stories were told in those creative meetings.
I bet!

The difference with Saxon is that they didn't really know why the Spinal Tap guys guys were travelling with them other than they wanted to get a feel for what life on the road was like.
scottbassist
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scottbassist »

FiveCardStud wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:02 pm This film has really never been that funny to me. I get the references and POVs but just has always been too silly and forced

Oh, I love the movie. Much funnier and timeless than most comedy films released today. And serious bonus points to Christopher Guest, Michael McKean and Harry Shearer for really playing their respective instruments in the film. 😎

P.S. Christopher Guest’s (Nigel’s) hair in the film was based on Jeff Beck’s haircut. 🙂
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

Everything about it is brilliant.
The songs are great - McKean, Guest & Shearer are very talented musicians in their own right. Ive bought the Tap soundtrack, Break Like The Wind, and Back From The Dead. I’m still trying to hunt down IntraVenus de Milo and Shark Sandwich though?! :scratch: :lol:

The band back story is great. The moving through different styles and era’s. 60’s beat into psychedelia, 70’s prog leanings into early 80's metal….

The focus on the 2 main band leaders along with the dispensability of former members is great ; even higher profile former members like Ross McLochNess and Ronnie Pudding. Several years later, I understand Ronnie Pudding moved to Namibia and released one solo album “Does Anyone Here Speak English?”, very underrated album from what I heard. Very hard to find a copy though..

I just wish the film was longer. A lot of great scenes were left out so they could keep it under 90 mins.

I remember Gene saying the songs were pretty good; and he too - looked at it quite seriously because it was so close to the bone for many bands!
highvoltage1969

Phyllis Simmons wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:10 am Everything about it is brilliant.
The songs are great - McKean, Guest & Shearer are very talented musicians in their own right. Ive bought the Tap soundtrack, Break Like The Wind, and Back From The Dead. I’m still trying to hunt down IntraVenus de Milo and Shark Sandwich though?! :scratch: :lol:

The band back story is great. The moving through different styles and era’s. 60’s beat into psychedelia, 70’s prog leanings into early 80's metal….

The focus on the 2 main band leaders along with the dispensability of former members is great ; even higher profile former members like Ross McLochNess and Ronnie Pudding. Several years later, I understand Ronnie Pudding moved to Namibia and released one solo album “Does Anyone Here Speak English?”, very underrated album from what I heard. Very hard to find a copy though..

I just wish the film was longer. A lot of great scenes were left out so they could keep it under 90 mins.

I remember Gene saying the songs were pretty good; and he too - looked at it quite seriously because it was so close to the bone for many bands!
Agreed, one of my favourite films.
redinthesky

Post by redinthesky »

I have heard things like there are 4-hour and even a 5-hour cut of the movie in existence, so much footage was shot. Would love to see.

I only fairly recently learned that Spinal Tap actually existed since 1979!
Glasgow Kiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

The "Hello, Cleveland" thing has probably happened to most bands at one point...twenty gigs into a thirty show run it will be genuinely difficult to remember what city they're in. I remember being at a Glenn Hughes soundcheck and when he showed me that night's setlist with "TONIGHT'S TOWN: GLASGOW" at the top I asked him what that was all about...he said he'd fucked up a couple of times in the past and didn't ever want to make the same mistake again.

It only ever gets really contentious when someone actually gets what country they're in wrong...I recall there was some generic German metal band supporting someone whose singer after the third or fourth song announced that we were the best audience they'd played to so far in England.

Now, that's not a mistake you make in Scotland if you want to finish the evening with the same number of teeth you started out with. They'd been going down all right up to that point, but the crowd did a 180 and hit them with a barrage of complete hatred...they lasted another two or three songs and trooped off early with their tails between their legs.
mrmajester
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by mrmajester »

Nigel Tufnel is apparently based on either, Steve Priest or Mick Tucker from The Sweet, the voice that is, I reckon it's Steve Priest.
Hi I'm Witz

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

FiveCardStud wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:02 pm This film has really never been that funny to me. I get the references and POVs but just has always been too silly and forced

Hi I'm Witz

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

Did KISS ever sell out the Enormo-Dome?
Terry Zeppelin
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Terry Zeppelin »

The manager is loosely based on Peter Grant...his violent tendencies that is.
redinthesky

Post by redinthesky »

I agree, Spinal Tap really isn't that funny of a film. I think the film succeeds much more on a 'satire' level than a pure 'comedy' level. While there are a few "laugh out loud" scenes, for the most part the movie isn't something that's gonna have you laughing all the way through. IMO, it's much more like it will generate a lot of smiles and mild chuckles with the viewer, but not many genuine laughs. I think the one scene I actually sustain a bit of a laugh at is when the small Stonehenge comes down on stage, with the midgets dancing around it. That's hilarious :lol:

There's a lot of clever stuff in the movie, but if someone wants to laugh a lot, it's definitely not the movie to watch. All just in my opinion of course.
Last edited by redinthesky on Thu May 13, 2021 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
highvoltage1969

Here's a great recent interview, Rob Reiner says the whole film was improvised, I believe him.

peterparker78
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by peterparker78 »

I love 'Tap, the guitar sound on Bitch School rules:

Yeh the cancelled gigs could have been more based on Kiss' Creatures tour. Ask anyone who's been in a band, a lot of the movie can and very often does happen, many real life didn't find it funny for that reason; Maiden, Ozzy, etc. Apparently Uncle Gene found it "a bit depressing". While it is done for laughs, but with sympathy a bit like 'The Rutles' poking fun at The Beatles, the 3 main actors / characters really can play. Fun fact 1; George Harridon was involved in the production & filming of The Rutles. Fun fact 2: a muso mate of mine has a brand new guitar ( Flying V ) kept under his bed "that is never to be played, held, or even looked at" - but he hadn't seen or heard of 'The Tap', until I made him aware. Had to be done....
highvoltage1969

Wiseacre
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Wiseacre »

The cast have repeatedly said it is based on no particular band. Anyone who has ever played in a band, been signed and toured knows these occurrences are universal and the movie only gets more funny with time and the further into that world you get to venture. This shit happens to literally everyone in one form or a other at some point which is the genius of it. A timeless classic, especially if you have lived some of it

It’s just like Office Space. When the film came out it was funny. After 20+ years in IT (after seeing it for the 1st time) I can say it got more and more funny with personal experience.

Whoever said the jokes in spinal tap were “obvious” or whatever must not realize none of those things were obvious AT THE TIME. Most of those things have literally become cliches BECAUSE of Spinal Tap.

peterparker78
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by peterparker78 »

Yeah, The Office ( UK version at least ) is much like working in a real office, but with less comedy. Same with Tap and being in a band, when I ( hopefully, please ) finish my 'big work project after big work project' routine and have the time / energy, maybe I'll post my (briefly) playing in a band and then trying to form a Kiss tribute band (!) experiences, though I literally could write a book, but not on the forum....
B5Erik
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

A fair amount of Tap also came from Uriah Heep.

There was so much stuff from so many bands that no one band was the inspiration for Spinal Tap. KISS, Led Zeppelin, Uriah Heep, Saxon, Black Sabbath, etc. It was real life stuff that happened - only turned to 11.
Bender
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Bender »

redinthesky wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:59 am
I have heard things like there are 4-hour and even a 5-hour cut of the movie in existence, so much footage was shot. Would love to see.

I only fairly recently learned that Spinal Tap actually existed since 1979!
There's a 4 hr workprint out there and I have a copy of it...dunno where you could find it now.
ozweepay
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by ozweepay »

Tito wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:14 pm
ozweepay wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:06 pm Their image was lifted from Saxon, for sure.
Nigel Tufnel has to have been modelled after Jeff Beck. Watch this and you'll find yourself expecting him to say "these go to eleven".

Yes that's definitely a starting reference for Nigel's character. I remember MTV pointing that out in the 80's when Jeff Beck was experiencing a resurgence.
Glasgow Kiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

The only thing I'm aware of that's specific to one band was the Stonehenge thing which referred to Sabbath who insisted on a life-size replica of the trilithons for a US tour...of course life-size meant they dragged it around 30 or 40 dates and only played a handful of venues that the stage set actually fitted into.

Most things in the film have probably happened to a lot of bands that have been on the go for a while...arguments above the record cover, equipment malfunctioning, dates being cancelled wholesale mid-tour, the Yokoesque interfering girlfriend and so on.
Tito

Post by Tito »

Glasgow Kiss wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:04 am The only thing I'm aware of that's specific to one band was the Stonehenge thing which referred to Sabbath who insisted on a life-size replica of the trilithons for a US tour...of course life-size meant they dragged it around 30 or 40 dates and only played a handful of venues that the stage set actually fitted into.
Apparently the Black Sabbath theory has been debunked and the Stonehenge stage set was likely based on Led Zeppelin's 1977 set instead:

Glasgow Kiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

Tito wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:48 am
Glasgow Kiss wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:04 am The only thing I'm aware of that's specific to one band was the Stonehenge thing which referred to Sabbath who insisted on a life-size replica of the trilithons for a US tour...of course life-size meant they dragged it around 30 or 40 dates and only played a handful of venues that the stage set actually fitted into.
Apparently the Black Sabbath theory has been debunked and the Stonehenge stage set was likely based on Led Zeppelin's 1977 set instead:

There you go - I'd always assumed it was based on that. It's weird how life imitates art sometimes.
phantomofthestudio
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by phantomofthestudio »

If there was any one scene inspired by Kiss I bet it was this one where it's proposed the band dress up in different personas:

battra

Post by battra »

ozweepay wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:39 am
Tito wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:14 pm

Yes that's definitely a starting reference for Nigel's character. I remember MTV pointing that out in the 80's when Jeff Beck was experiencing a resurgence.
There was Guitar World interview when it was stated Nigel was up for the guitar spot in the Yardbirds more than once.
whitesnake7575
Banned
Banned

Post by whitesnake7575 »

Glasgow Kiss wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 3:04 am The only thing I'm aware of that's specific to one band was the Stonehenge thing which referred to Sabbath who insisted on a life-size replica of the trilithons for a US tour...of
They didn’t insist on anything. Geezer drew it up and somehow the measurements got all screwed up and they were gobsmacked when it arrived and it was so insanely massive they immediately knew most parts of it couldn’t even be used. The stuff they used on stage were the small parts of it. See Tony’s book.
AceyAintInCharge
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by AceyAintInCharge »

Terry Zeppelin wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:30 pm The bass player is dressed like Gene circa Creatures era. And he has Gene-like mannerisms onstage. And the song Big Bottom has the line "My love gun's loaded"...

The part where their shows keep getting canceled seems more like the Creatures era...

And the lead guitarist has a few Ace-type moments i believe...especially during his guitar solo...

And the carousel of different drummers kinda resembles KISS' problem with holding on to a permanent lead guitarist at the time.

And the series of bad reviews (S**t Sandwich) kinda mirrors Kiss' relationship with the Rock press. And Spinal Taps career being ressurected in Japan is kinda like what Kiss went through with Australia and Rio de Janiero when the bottom fell out here in the U.S.
Very insightful post. Thanks for sharing all that.