Solos that suck

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
User avatar
FiveCardStud
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1510
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:43 am

Solos that suck

Post by FiveCardStud »

We all talk about how awesome everything is

Name some solos that SUCK

Bang bang you for me, for an album with such great solos this doesn’t do anything for anyone
Last edited by FiveCardStud on Wed May 12, 2021 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4079
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by TheSpoiler »

Might sound odd, but I really dislike the solo for Firehouse. That stuttering, repeated picking just annoys me for some reason. No idea why.

Also 100,000 Years to a certain extent.

I think it's the repetition that goes on, and on, and on, and on.
JohnBergless
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:11 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by JohnBergless »

Hold on to your hats: Beth. Oh yes I just did. I think the original version should of had an acoustic guitar solo, rather than just the string section interlude. A solo not even particularly similar to how Ace played it for MTV Unplugged; just some kind of nice solo during that section, with the orchestra parts underneath playing nice whole notes or something like that.
User avatar
Bruce
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8821
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by Bruce »

I Love It Loud has a very odd, overly simplistic 'solo,' if it could even be called that.
User avatar
FiveCardStud
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1510
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:43 am

Re: Solos that suck

Post by FiveCardStud »

TheSpoiler wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:55 am Might sound odd, but I really dislike the solo for Firehouse. That stuttering, repeated picking just annoys me for some reason. No idea why.

Also 100,000 Years to a certain extent.

I think it's the repetition that goes on, and on, and on, and on.
Even though I really like those two solos, what I will admit is that I really think Ace held back (or was held back) on the leads for the first album. The rhythm is balls to the wall rock n roll but then the solos are quite tame and almost pop rock.

Then he really comes into his own for HTH, some absolute monster playing from Ace
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4079
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by TheSpoiler »

FiveCardStud wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:02 am
TheSpoiler wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:55 am Might sound odd, but I really dislike the solo for Firehouse. That stuttering, repeated picking just annoys me for some reason. No idea why.

Also 100,000 Years to a certain extent.

I think it's the repetition that goes on, and on, and on, and on.
Even though I really like those two solos, what I will admit is that I really think Ace held back (or was held back) on the leads for the first album. The rhythm is balls to the wall rock n roll but then the solos are quite tame and almost pop rock.

Then he really comes into his own for HTH, some absolute monster playing from Ace
Agreed on HTH. Night and day.
User avatar
Potato Salad
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1354
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:35 am
Contact:

Re: Solos that suck

Post by Potato Salad »

Image
User avatar
gene therapist
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5040
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:32 am

Re: Solos that suck

Post by gene therapist »

Firehouse
Hotter Than Hell

...the first two that came to mind.
User avatar
Bruce
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8821
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by Bruce »

JohnBergless wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:57 am Hold on to your hats: Beth. Oh yes I just did.
John.........................................................
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4079
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by TheSpoiler »

Two right out of the gate for Firehouse. Interesting.
JohnBergless
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3080
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:11 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by JohnBergless »

Torpedo Girl is another let down. A fun song - but for it being written by a prominent rock guitarist..... really Ace???
User avatar
SpaceaceRyan
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!
Posts: 463
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:54 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by SpaceaceRyan »

Lick it Up solo sucks
Heavens on Fire solo Sucks

Anything for my Baby. No solo so that sucks
New York Groove, no solo so that sucks
User avatar
woodworm001
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1477
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:53 pm
Location: UK

Re: Solos that suck

Post by woodworm001 »

SpaceaceRyan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:56 am Lick it Up solo sucks
Heavens on Fire solo Sucks
Pretty much the same solo though I always thought those two songs were pretty much the same thing anyway (still like them)

The one I never liked, even though it won't be popular on here is Shock Me - shit song, shit solo - but I do think it did a lot for Ace's confidence as he came up with stellar stuff after this.
User avatar
FiveCardStud
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1510
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:43 am

Re: Solos that suck

Post by FiveCardStud »

woodworm001 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:19 am
SpaceaceRyan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:56 am Lick it Up solo sucks
Heavens on Fire solo Sucks
Pretty much the same solo though I always thought those two songs were pretty much the same thing anyway (still like them)

The one I never liked, even though it won't be popular on here is Shock Me - shit song, shit solo - but I do think it did a lot for Ace's confidence as he came up with stellar stuff after this.
Shock Me solo absolutely rocks, great contribution to the catalogue by Ace
User avatar
Man of a Thousand Aces
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5071
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:09 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by Man of a Thousand Aces »

Ace's solo on the Friday's TV show version of The Oath. Dreadful.
User avatar
Man of a Thousand Aces
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5071
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:09 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by Man of a Thousand Aces »

JohnBergless wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:57 am Hold on to your hats: Beth. Oh yes I just did. I think the original version should of had an acoustic guitar solo, rather than just the string section interlude. A solo not even particularly similar to how Ace played it for MTV Unplugged; just some kind of nice solo during that section, with the orchestra parts underneath playing nice whole notes or something like that.
Like this?

User avatar
Man of a Thousand Aces
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5071
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:09 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by Man of a Thousand Aces »

Bruce wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:00 am I Love It Loud has a very odd, overly simplistic 'solo,' if it could even be called that.
Paul played it, no? I always thought the series of unison bends was supposed to make people think it was Ace.
User avatar
Man of a Thousand Aces
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5071
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:09 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by Man of a Thousand Aces »

SpaceaceRyan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:56 am Lick it Up solo sucks
Heavens on Fire solo Sucks
They're not really solos as much as just chord progressions...which suck.
User avatar
Bruce
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8821
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by Bruce »

Man of a Thousand Aces wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:38 am Paul played it, no? I always thought the series of unison bends was supposed to make people think it was Ace.
I honestly don't know, but I agree that the band didn't push anything beyond what Ace might've been capable of. The solo for I Love It Loud doesn't suck, per se, it's just too basic to be of any real interest. Paul's drop-and-roll maneuver for the video, though, does add a level of interest. As I understand it, he'd hurt himself pretty bad doing that, during one of the takes.
User avatar
Man of a Thousand Aces
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5071
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:09 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by Man of a Thousand Aces »

Bruce wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:07 pm
Man of a Thousand Aces wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:38 am Paul played it, no? I always thought the series of unison bends was supposed to make people think it was Ace.
I honestly don't know, but I agree that the band didn't push anything beyond what Ace might've been capable of. The solo for I Love It Loud doesn't suck, per se, it's just too basic to be of any real interest. Paul's drop-and-roll maneuver for the video, though, does add a level of interest. As I understand it, he'd hurt himself pretty bad doing that, during one of the takes.
I believe he pinched a nerve in his back.
User avatar
Bruce
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8821
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by Bruce »

How about that -- talk about 'suffering for your art.'
User avatar
Andy Capp
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4360
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:28 pm
Location: Taste The Oven Baked Crunch!

Re: Solos that suck

Post by Andy Capp »

other than the modern day delilah solo the rest of sonic boom and monster does absolutely nothing for old Andy {solo wise} `and Andy says he really likes tommy----
User avatar
gothunder
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 17486
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:07 am
Location: The Kiss Garage

Re: Solos that suck

Post by gothunder »

SpaceaceRyan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:56 am Lick it Up solo sucks
Heavens on Fire solo Sucks

Anything for my Baby. No solo so that sucks
New York Groove, no solo so that sucks
These first two, yes.
Frilly Pink
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:21 am

Re: Solos that suck

Post by Frilly Pink »

woodworm001 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:19 am
SpaceaceRyan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:56 am Lick it Up solo sucks
Heavens on Fire solo Sucks
Pretty much the same solo though I always thought those two songs were pretty much the same thing anyway (still like them)

The one I never liked, even though it won't be popular on here is Shock Me - shit song, shit solo - but I do think it did a lot for Ace's confidence as he came up with stellar stuff after this.


Horses for courses....... For me, the bend from the F# on the low E string on the G chord in the main riff is borderline genius. Maybe its just me though 🤔 I like the solo too
User avatar
drgbootz
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 9374
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:22 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Solos that suck

Post by drgbootz »

I can’t believe those mentions for Firehouse, it’s the basis for most of Aces early solos
User avatar
stutterer
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4511
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:28 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by stutterer »

Lick it Up album solos they allegedly cut-and-pasted together. None of those have any flow.
User avatar
In the Suds
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4802
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:29 am

Re: Solos that suck

Post by In the Suds »

drgbootz wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:30 pm I can’t believe those mentions for Firehouse, it’s the basis for most of Aces early solos
Yes. Firehouse is the quintessential Ace Frehley solo. Definitive Ace.
User avatar
Stlouisblue
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 521
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:14 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Solos that suck

Post by Stlouisblue »

Bruce wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:00 am I Love It Loud has a very odd, overly simplistic 'solo,' if it could even be called that.
Agreed. This solo time could have been used in such a better way. Not that it had to be super flashy or a million notes...but it was very very very bland given that it is such a great tune.
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4079
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by TheSpoiler »

drgbootz wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:30 pm I can’t believe those mentions for Firehouse, it’s the basis for most of Aces early solos
That might be the problem - for me, it sounds like he got a few semi-quick licks and repeated, and repeated, and repeated, and....

But, as stated above, a whole different world on HTH.
User avatar
SpaceaceRyan
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!
Posts: 463
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:54 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by SpaceaceRyan »

Man of a Thousand Aces wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:40 am
SpaceaceRyan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:56 am Lick it Up solo sucks
Heavens on Fire solo Sucks
They're not really solos as much as just chord progressions...which suck.
Either way, they suck.
User avatar
SpaceaceRyan
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!
Posts: 463
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:54 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by SpaceaceRyan »

Stlouisblue wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:45 pm
Bruce wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:00 am I Love It Loud has a very odd, overly simplistic 'solo,' if it could even be called that.
Agreed. This solo time could have been used in such a better way. Not that it had to be super flashy or a million notes...but it was very very very bland given that it is such a great tune.
After Gene says “Turn it up,” The speed of the song should have picked up with a killer melodic solo. I imagine the part of Acrobat where Peter picks up the beat and Ace starts wailing away. Add that.
User avatar
Tito
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 7414
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:36 am
Location: Shady side of town.

Re: Solos that suck

Post by Tito »

woodworm001 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:19 am Shock Me - shit song, shit solo
Well alrighty then.
User avatar
Mystogan
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 2522
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:42 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: Solos that suck

Post by Mystogan »

I think "I Love It Loud", "Lick It Up" and "Heaven's On Fire" all have appropriate sections that fit the song and there was no need for anything more.

As for bad solos well, any number of Animalize ones. Tasteless wanking and the awful guitar tone doesn't help. Jeez, the "Under The Gun" solo sounds like shit. "I've Had Enough" is the only one I actually like.

Not to disrespect Bruce but I can't even recall a lot of the solos from Asylum to Hot In The Shade aside from the big standouts like "Tears Are Falling", "Who Wants To Be Lonely", "Forever", "Crazy Crazy Nights" etc. which are fantastic leads. But a lot of the deep cut solos just go right through me. I don't think much of the solos on Sonic Boom & Monster aside from "Modern Day Delilah". But again that is more of them being forgettable to me.

So really it's only most of the solos on Animalize that I would say are outright bad.
User avatar
Expert Texpert
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 766
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:25 am
Location: Pepperland

Re: Solos that suck

Post by Expert Texpert »

All the guitar solos on the lick it up album apart from a million to one. Just awful.
User avatar
Mr Slow
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 10273
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by Mr Slow »

JohnBergless wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:57 am Hold on to your hats: Beth. Oh yes I just did. I think the original version should of had an acoustic guitar solo, rather than just the string section interlude. A solo not even particularly similar to how Ace played it for MTV Unplugged; just some kind of nice solo during that section, with the orchestra parts underneath playing nice whole notes or something like that.
I agree. It’s obvious the studio version is all Ezrin. If you check out some of the things he did with Alice Cooper around that time that musical interlude is so very similar. The whole song feels like a Cooper/Ezrin collaboration.
User avatar
Mr Slow
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 10273
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by Mr Slow »

Expert Texpert wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:03 pm All the guitar solos on the lick it up album apart from a million to one. Just awful.
Wow! I think VV’s lead breaks on Not For The Innocent, Young And Wasted, All Hell’s Breakin’ Loose and Fits Like A Glove are absolute top shelf.
User avatar
spacekace
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2184
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:42 am
Location: Just look over your shoulder!

Re: Solos that suck

Post by spacekace »

Man of a Thousand Aces wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:34 am Ace's solo on the Friday's TV show version of The Oath. Dreadful.
Agreed 💯
User avatar
caligari
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5505
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:36 am

Re: Solos that suck

Post by caligari »

Ace/Vinnie/Mark/Bruce/Tommy
I don’t think ANY of them “suck”.
Some may be more inspired than others,
some may simply fit the bill,
and others may be absolutely iconic.
It’s a matter of personal taste.
User avatar
Mr Slow
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 10273
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by Mr Slow »

caligari wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:45 pm Ace/Vinnie/Mark/Bruce/Tommy
I don’t think ANY of them “suck”.
Some may be more inspired than others,
some may simply fit the bill,
and others may be absolutely iconic.
It’s a matter of personal taste.
Yep well said. Add Paul, Rick Derringer, Dick Wagner, Steve Ferris, and Bob Kulick to that list. None of the solos have been horrible. They were all competently played and for the most part fit the song. THIS is a horrible guitar solo! :lol:

User avatar
woodworm001
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1477
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:53 pm
Location: UK

Re: Solos that suck

Post by woodworm001 »

Mr Slow wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:11 pm
Yep well said. Add Paul, Rick Derringer, Dick Wagner, Steve Ferris, and Bob Kulick to that list. None of the solos have been horrible. They were all competently played and for the most part fit the song. THIS is a horrible guitar solo! :lol:


At last there is footage of one of the VV shows! :lol:
User avatar
woodworm001
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1477
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:53 pm
Location: UK

Re: Solos that suck

Post by woodworm001 »

Tito wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:11 pm
woodworm001 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:19 am Shock Me - shit song, shit solo
Well alrighty then.
Glad I could clear that up for you! :D tbh it's even worse live :shock:
User avatar
ypke
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 2801
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:27 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Solos that suck

Post by ypke »

Tears Are Falling from Rocks Vegas.
User avatar
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 10806
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by jannep17 »

I'm not too fond of the ultrafast solos from the 80's. Not my style.
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4079
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by TheSpoiler »

Mr Slow wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:29 pm
Expert Texpert wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:03 pm All the guitar solos on the lick it up album apart from a million to one. Just awful.
Wow! I think VV’s lead breaks on Not For The Innocent, Young And Wasted, All Hell’s Breakin’ Loose and Fits Like A Glove are absolute top shelf.
Same here. In fact, I'd say that Vinnie's leads on LIU are the best solos on any Kiss album. IMHO of course.
User avatar
Mr Slow
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 10273
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by Mr Slow »

TheSpoiler wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:05 am
Mr Slow wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:29 pm
Expert Texpert wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:03 pm All the guitar solos on the lick it up album apart from a million to one. Just awful.
Wow! I think VV’s lead breaks on Not For The Innocent, Young And Wasted, All Hell’s Breakin’ Loose and Fits Like A Glove are absolute top shelf.
Same here. In fact, I'd say that Vinnie's leads on LIU are the best solos on any Kiss album. IMHO of course.
I’d say LICK IT UP, ROCK AND ROLL OVER and REVENGE would be the big 3.
User avatar
sneed78
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3065
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:01 am

Re: Solos that suck

Post by sneed78 »

Mr Slow wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:11 pm
caligari wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:45 pm Ace/Vinnie/Mark/Bruce/Tommy
I don’t think ANY of them “suck”.
Some may be more inspired than others,
some may simply fit the bill,
and others may be absolutely iconic.
It’s a matter of personal taste.
Yep well said. Add Paul, Rick Derringer, Dick Wagner, Steve Ferris, and Bob Kulick to that list. None of the solos have been horrible. They were all competently played and for the most part fit the song. THIS is a horrible guitar solo! :lol:

Haha that never gets old...

No matter how bad your soloing sucks, how could you just stand there and let someone slap you across the head (in public no less) without turning their noggin into tomato paste with your guitar lol
🎸🍅 💥
User avatar
Mr Slow
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 10273
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by Mr Slow »

sneed78 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:48 am
Mr Slow wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:11 pm
caligari wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:45 pm Ace/Vinnie/Mark/Bruce/Tommy
I don’t think ANY of them “suck”.
Some may be more inspired than others,
some may simply fit the bill,
and others may be absolutely iconic.
It’s a matter of personal taste.
Yep well said. Add Paul, Rick Derringer, Dick Wagner, Steve Ferris, and Bob Kulick to that list. None of the solos have been horrible. They were all competently played and for the most part fit the song. THIS is a horrible guitar solo! :lol:

Haha that never gets old...

No matter how bad your soloing sucks, how could you just stand there and let someone slap you across the head (in public no less) without turning their noggin into tomato paste with your guitar lol
🎸🍅 💥
Great description! 😁 It’s not like the singer was exactly slaying it either. Maybe he should’ve given himself a whack. 🤔
User avatar
Super Bee
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1059
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:03 am

Re: Solos that suck

Post by Super Bee »

Bruce wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:00 am I Love It Loud has a very odd, overly simplistic 'solo,' if it could even be called that.
This right here. Probably in my top 5 favorite KISS songs but the "solo" kinda blows. Lick It Up is the same way.
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4079
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Solos that suck

Post by TheSpoiler »

The solo from Dark Light on the Kruise DEFINITELY sucked. :lol:
User avatar
monkafunk
Banned
Banned
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:26 am

Re: Solos that suck

Post by monkafunk »

Ace's "Sweet Pain" solo that didn't make the cut.
Should've spent less time at the card game, more time working on that solo.
Post Reply