Rare items: Autographed or No?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.

Would you want a rare, one of a kind collectable to be autographed?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 71

FlyingInA747
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Rare items: Autographed or No?

Post by FlyingInA747 »

On the KISS Live Auctions FB group, they showed a some Paul Stanley items to be auctioned off sometime soon. One of the items was an acetate of his '78 solo album. Another item(s) was Paul's personal copies of several KISS albums including Hotter Than Hell and The Elder. Everything I have mentioned in this post was autographed. To me is seems silly to autograph rare items like these. It ruins the integrity of how the product was in it's original state. It's especially silly when the autograph comes from a band like KISS who have been so generous with their autographs for many decades now so that a KISS autograph is not particularly special or unique.

So if you had your choice, would you want the '78 acetate and other rare items in their original state, or would you want them autographed?
Much Too Soon
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: Rare items: Autographed or No?

Post by Much Too Soon »

No
Bruce
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Bruce »

If I got it from eBay - no autograph.
If it came from Paul Stanley - autograph.
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

Yes, but only if it was autographed in my presence.
FiveCardStud
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by FiveCardStud »

Yes signed please; especially anything to do with the solo albums
CHRIS ARMY
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by CHRIS ARMY »

The problem with the stuff that Paul is selling is this. Take one of the albums or the old promo shots of the band. If it has his signature on it, I would want to get the other members to sign it also or I would look at it as incomplete. And, it would drive my OCD crazy. Now, if it was a Paul only related album, sure. But, I think if it's a really rare item, I would personally not want it signed. I think signatures can take away from how special something is.
Kissoff
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Kissoff »

P&G signed my Elder LP then ES signed it when I wasn't looking ruining it.
metalfuel

Post by metalfuel »

HELL NO!!!
That 70s Guy

Post by That 70s Guy »

No
CHRIS ARMY

Post by CHRIS ARMY »

Kissoff wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:49 pm P&G signed my Elder LP then ES signed it when I wasn't looking ruining it.
That sucks....If I were a member that didn't play on an album, I would always ask first.
woodworm001
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by woodworm001 »

CHRIS ARMY wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:29 am
Kissoff wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:49 pm P&G signed my Elder LP then ES signed it when I wasn't looking ruining it.
That sucks....If I were a member that didn't play on an album, I would always ask first.
Surprised by that as Eric has said in the past if he didn't play on an album?
Grizzly Adams

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I had Eric Singer sign a copy of Billy Joel’s Piano Man, and he signed it:
“Eric Singer - The Real Piano Man”
kisshall2

Post by kisshall2 »

I would not have the band sign a rare vintage concert poster today, but I would pay more for it if it was signed by the band in the correct era.
spaceace1977
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by spaceace1977 »

The problem is having a modern day PS signature in sharpie DIRECTLY ON TOP of the artwork completely ruins the item.

I saw he did that to one of the 1973 promo photos that had his original artwork for a Daisy ad on the back. He signed both sides and the large signature totally ruined the almost 50 year old drawings, 100%.
StraightThruTheHeart
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by StraightThruTheHeart »

I agree, ruins the value. It's no longer in its original state.
wjs296
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by wjs296 »

I believe it depends on the item and if you can prove it is an original autograph.
Rip & Destroy
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Rip & Destroy »

woodworm001 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:50 am
Eric said that if he didn't play on album....he won't sign it? That wasn't the case with this 8-track that I bought for $20:

Anyhow, for 20 bucks I'm not complaining. I love the Revenge line-up and I love KISS 8-tracks. It would definitely be cooler/more valuable with Ace and Peter's autographs but I'll take it. Honestly, I'm more disappointed that Gene's autograph is on the back which makes it harder to display.

I've seen fans make some peculiar choices of what they want autographed and by whom (not just with KISS), but if it makes them happy then I guess that's what matters the most. The one thing I hate seeing is rare vinyl records signed on the grooves. This one here blows my mind....a 2 record set yet they had Eric and Bruce sign the same record on OPPOSITE sides!! WHY?!!! Now it can't be played OR properly displayed. To me, THIS is how you ruin a cool item with an autograph:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224220880362?h ... SwpE5fogfI
Kissoff
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Kissoff »

Rip & Destroy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:58 am
Eric said that if he didn't play on album....he won't sign it? That wasn't the case with this 8-track that I bought for $20:

Anyhow, for 20 bucks I'm not complaining. I love the Revenge line-up and I love KISS 8-tracks. It would definitely be cooler/more valuable with Ace and Peter's autographs but I'll take it. Honestly, I'm more disappointed that Gene's autograph is on the back which makes it harder to display.

I've seen fans make some peculiar choices of what they want autographed and by whom (not just with KISS), but if it makes them happy then I guess that's what matters the most. The one thing I hate seeing is rare vinyl records signed on the grooves. This one here blows my mind....a 2 record set yet they had Eric and Bruce sign the same record on OPPOSITE sides!! WHY?!!! Now it can't be played OR properly displayed. To me, THIS is how you ruin a cool item with an autograph:

Yep great example and exactly my point. So do you have the elder or creatures on 8 track? I don't just curious.
Rip & Destroy
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Rip & Destroy »

Kissoff wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:09 am

Yep great example and exactly my point. So do you have the elder or creatures on 8 track? I don't just curious.
I wish I did!! I've only got a few 8 tracks in my collection, but most of them are KISS 8 tracks:

kiss-1976
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kiss-1976 »

kisshall2 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:22 pm I would not have the band sign a rare vintage concert poster today, but I would pay more for it if it was signed by the band in the correct era.
I agree. Authentic vintage signed items have an attraction to me. One of my favorites is this Spirit of '76 poster that was signed by all 4 at the Aucoin office in December 1976.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kissoff
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Kissoff »

Rip & Destroy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:24 pm
Kissoff wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:09 am

I wish I did!! I've only got a few 8 tracks in my collection, but most of them are KISS 8 tracks:

Nice!!!