DMA Podcast: Carnival of Souls

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
battra
Might as well be the Admin!

DMA Podcast: Carnival of Souls

Post by battra »

https://anchor.fm/dmapodcast/episodes/K ... Now-emri6e

Duncan and I took it on.

Check it out!
Admin
Prattish Pontificator

Re: DMA Podcast: Carnival of Souls

Post by Admin »

Will check this out tomorrow!
kissthat
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by kissthat »

Will listen the first chance I get Bat
richardsimmons
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ KIZZ-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

Will be listening this week. ⚡️
ACESTATION
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by ACESTATION »

I will check this out when I am free later. This is a must watch/listen.
battra

Post by battra »

Thanks fellas!

I don’t think Kiss is metal, but they are the precursors.

Same as Zeppelin, Rush, and even Floyd.

This is our fourth Kiss related episode and I have at least one more planned.
rwgriffith

Post by rwgriffith »

I am really looking forward to listening to this! I am in the minority of KISS fans and LOVE Carnival Of Souls.
battra

Post by battra »

rwgriffith wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:59 pm I am really looking forward to listening to this! I am in the minority of KISS fans and LOVE Carnival Of Souls.
You'll be listening to one fan and one non-fan talking about this record.

There's also this reference...

battra

Post by battra »

Thank you to everyone who's listened!

We got a good response from this thread.

If you can tell what I can do to make it more entertaining and be better personally, I'm all ears.

(I have started drinking water before and during recording.)
joma5477

Post by joma5477 »

battra wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:31 pm Thank you to everyone who's listened!

If you can tell what I can do to make it more entertaining and be better personally, I'm all ears.

My constructive criticism would be I didn't feel I got a very thorough review of each track from you. Maybe that was somewhat by design as your partner did go fairly in-depth on each track, but I tuned in to hear your take. You did chime in with notes and an over all assessment of the album, but I was more interested in your in-depth take of each track, from a KISS fan's point of view for a very unKISS-like album.

Otherwise it wasn't bad...and congrats on the job!
battra

Post by battra »

joma5477 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:50 pm
battra wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:31 pm Thank you to everyone who's listened!

My constructive criticism would be I didn't feel I got a very thorough review of each track from you. Maybe that was somewhat by design as your partner did go fairly in-depth on each track, but I tuned in to hear your take. You did chime in with notes and an over all assessment of the album, but I was more interested in your in-depth take of each track, from a KISS fan's point of view for a very unKISS-like album.

Otherwise it wasn't bad...and congrats on the job!
Thank you.

On this one, it was more interesting to me, as was the other Kiss album we did (guess which..lol) to let my partner take the lead because he's not a Kiss fan.

And this album, along with other Kiss Adjacent albums I've reviewed in the past....wouldn't get a whole lot of in depth talk because the songs are too samey and the album is overlong.

I love the record and I did my research off of my vinyl copy even.

Each show is different and sometimes you get more in depth from me and sometimes you get less...then I lean on Duncan and I typically announce that even.

I appreciate ya taking the time to listen. As a friend of mine says, everybody and their dog has a podcast and I greatly appreciate every single person who spent 65 minutes listening to us prattle one.
battra

Post by battra »

Also... When we do Kiss episodes, they typically go longer because I have more to say.

So I tend to step back on purpose as not to make the episodes go 90-120 minutes.

We shoot for 45 each week.
joma5477

Post by joma5477 »

battra wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:01 pm Thank you.

On this one, it was more interesting to me, as was the other Kiss album we did (guess which..lol) to let my partner take the lead because he's not a Kiss fan.

And this album, along with other Kiss Adjacent albums I've reviewed in the past....wouldn't get a whole lot of in depth talk because the songs are too samey and the album is overlong.

I love the record and I did my research off of my vinyl copy even.

Each show is different and sometimes you get more in depth from me and sometimes you get less...then I lean on Duncan and I typically announce that even.

I appreciate ya taking the time to listen. As a friend of mine says, everybody and their dog has a podcast and I greatly appreciate every single person who spent 65 minutes listening to us prattle one.
I get ya... I'm probably also biased, as most here might be, in wanting to hear the KISS fan's take more. But as it's not a KISS show and your primary demographic isn't KISS fans specifically, that makes sense.

It did lead me to a self track by track review of the album, though...and I found if I pick it apart more, it's not so bad. But as a whole it's not an album I'm particularly fond of. It's WAY too long and kind of monotonous in sound. A song like Jungle, for example, is a pretty decent song. But it's like twice as long as it needs to be and not interesting enough to be 7 minutes long. I get bored of the song by the time it's over and the impression I'm left with isn't particularly positive as a result. Another song that I might actually like but always think I fucking hate is Seduction of the Innocent. The second bar of the intro sounds like fucking shit on its own and puts me in a bad mood for the rest of the song. If they left the intro to just the first bar, that note swing isn't so jarring underneath vocals and is otherwise a pretty catchy song. Anyhow, this post isn't a podcast so I'll quit making it an hour long read... :)
battra

Post by battra »

joma5477 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:21 pm I get ya... I'm probably also biased, as most here might be, in wanting to hear the KISS fan's take more. But as it's not a KISS show and your primary demographic isn't KISS fans specifically, that makes sense.

It did lead me to a self track by track review of the album, though...and I found if I pick it apart more, it's not so bad. But as a whole it's not an album I'm particularly fond of. It's WAY too long and kind of monotonous in sound. A song like Jungle, for example, is a pretty decent song. But it's like twice as long as it needs to be and not interesting enough to be 7 minutes long. I get bored of the song by the time it's over and the impression I'm left with isn't particularly positive as a result. Another song that I might actually like but always think I fucking hate is Seduction of the Innocent. The second bar of the intro sounds like fucking shit on its own and puts me in a bad mood for the rest of the song. If they left the intro to just the first bar, that note swing isn't so jarring underneath vocals and is otherwise a pretty catchy song. Anyhow, this post isn't a podcast so I'll quit making it an hour long read... :)
You're making the same points about that album, someone who loves it, does.

That's the problem.

Kiss has never been one of the bands who change sound, tone, etc...they're a set it and forget kind of band.

What makes their 70's output so much better is that it's shorter.

There's no Kiss record cool for 60 minutes.
joma5477

Post by joma5477 »

battra wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:27 pm

That's the problem.

Kiss has never been one of the bands who change sound, tone, etc...they're a set it and forget kind of band.

Don't tell anyone, but I like HITS... I think my problem with CoS is more the individual songs are too long. Although the album as a whole does wear on me. But if I loved the tunes on it, I wouldn't have a problem with 15 songs or whatever.
battra

Post by battra »

joma5477 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:17 pm
battra wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:27 pm

That's the problem.

Don't tell anyone, but I like HITS... I think my problem with CoS is more the individual songs are too long. Although the album as a whole does wear on me. But if I loved the tunes on it, I wouldn't have a problem with 15 songs or whatever.
Kiss and Family albums shouldn't ever top 40 mins.

I love the songs, but it's hard for me to listen to the album front to back, but if I hear one apart from the record, they're great.

Ear fatigue, my friend, ear fatigue.

Too much same.