Anaheim '76 Black Diamond

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
turbodrive
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Anaheim '76 Black Diamond

Post by turbodrive »

This multicam version has become one of my favorite videos of the band...

Outstanding job of combining the close-up and wide-angle versions. It seems odd that the crew would go to the trouble of mounting a camera at the mixing board, just to film one song. What are the chances that the rest of the show was filmed from there? Or, is it more likely that if that footage did exist, we'd have all seen it by now?
warmachine731
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Anaheim '76 Black Diamond

Post by warmachine731 »

When KISS ruled the world. Thanks for posting.

I haven’t watched vintage shows in a long time but I watched this entire video and remembered what drew me to the band.
Also I loved seeing the city skyline in lights at the end as I don’t remember this from watching the Anaheim show.
turbodrive
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by turbodrive »

Yeah, I agree. This is what originally drew me to the band. And that's the best part of the wide-angle view; being able to see the NYC skyline part of the stage set. Still wondering if any more footage from the soundboard exists.
jkiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by jkiss »

turbodrive wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:44 am This multicam version has become one of my favorite videos of the band...

Outstanding job of combining the close-up and wide-angle versions. It seems odd that the crew would go to the trouble of mounting a camera at the mixing board, just to film one song. What are the chances that the rest of the show was filmed from there? Or, is it more likely that if that footage did exist, we'd have all seen it by now?
Jeff ("KISS Alive Forever" book) had researched it & doesn't believe they filmed the entire show from the soundboard platform. A real shame if indeed fact. I've seen the "Destroyer" show in the flesh & I don't think any of these concert tapes properly convey how cool the entire stage production really was. All I've seen from these 'projection screen tapes' consists mainly of close-ups of KISS; aside from those ...a lone camera plain too far away + low resolution, etc.

Anyway, you never know what might turn-up; as there is a lot of footage that top experts claimed never existed & they were wrong (with movies, whatever, etc). Although, I don't hold my breath for any of it ...if something turns-up ...great. And if nothing does ...life goes on.

:wink:
turbodrive
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by turbodrive »

jkiss wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:19 am
turbodrive wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:44 am This multicam version has become one of my favorite videos of the band...

Jeff ("KISS Alive Forever" book) had researched it & doesn't believe they filmed the entire show from the soundboard platform. A real shame if indeed fact. I've seen the "Destroyer" show in the flesh & I don't think any of these concert tapes properly convey how cool the entire stage production really was. All I've seen from these 'projection screen tapes' consists mainly of close-ups of KISS; aside from those ...a lone camera plain too far away + low resolution, etc.

Anyway, you never know what might turn-up; as there is a lot of footage that top experts claimed never existed & they were wrong (with movies, whatever, etc). Although, I don't hold my breath for any of it ...if something turns-up ...great. And if nothing does ...life goes on.

Thanks for commenting on this. I did read in Alive Forever that AMI had set up a single color video camera at the mixing booth, but it didn't say if only the last song was filmed so I'm guessing he did some additional research after the book came out. Really a bummer if that's all they got from that angle. I agree, though; it's still possible that something will turn up someday. But, like you...I won't hold my breath.
Man of a Thousand Aces
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Man of a Thousand Aces »

That was pretty satisfying, all in all. Playing pronounced, even eighth-beats on the hi-hat is a lost art apparently. Peter did it well.
C

Post by C »

So cool! They were perfect! even with the imperfections!
Near the end, something pops out of Gene's bass or costume or something threw something at him?
k1ssarmy
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by k1ssarmy »

Epic! Love the second logo above the NYC skyline. Top 5 song and greatest closer!
cholvey
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by cholvey »

I couldn’t agree more!! Seeing it in person was just incredible & the failing was not in the stage show but in how it was filmed. The technology might have been available at the time to do the show justice, but it was never employed. It would have taken a film maker, a la “The Last Waltz” to showcase that amazing stage the right way in film. In-house cameras were never going to pick up the in-person experience. Such a shame bc it was really something to behold.

I saw them on the DTK/Alive tour & the footage looks just like what I saw them, but Destroyer... no 😢
turbodrive
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by turbodrive »

cholvey wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:43 pm

I couldn’t agree more!! Seeing it in person was just incredible & the failing was not in the stage show but in how it was filmed. The technology might have been available at the time to do the show justice, but it was never employed. It would have taken a film maker, a la “The Last Waltz” to showcase that amazing stage the right way in film. In-house cameras were never going to pick up the in-person experience. Such a shame bc it was really something to behold.

I saw them on the DTK/Alive tour & the footage looks just like what I saw them, but Destroyer... no 😢
That's something that's never made much sense to me. With Bill's background in film and knowing how visual the band was, you'd think he'd have gone to a lot of effort to document each tour...especially Destroyer, with all of the effort that went into that production.