What’s with cutting off guys faces?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Mr Slow
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

What’s with cutting off guys faces?

Post by Mr Slow »

I get that when you are trying to fit 4 faces onto an album cover it can be a bit challenging, but some of these are pretty ordinary. DYNASTY is particularly perplexing because they were going for “THIS IS KISS” kinda vibe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Spaceace2000ric
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Re: What’s with cutting off guys faces?

Post by Spaceace2000ric »

Always thought Dynasty was odd that the faces are chopped off.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Part of it may be that it makes you look twice, when you see it. Like something seems 'off' about it, as you try to figure out why. Eric Carr's getting scrunched in the corner on the Asylum cover, especially.

But when its photagrsphy, its usually to do with not having very much of a choice about it, it seems like. If Dynasty had pulled back to show everyone's complete and total head, the image would start losing visual interest. Kind of the same way when your online shopping and you always get entire image of the thing your looking at.

Its boring, because there's nothing unusual or unexpected about it. Its function over form for utilitarian value. Cropping an image adds visual intetest because it's contrary, in a way. Its showing you what you want to see, rather than how you want to see it.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Spaceace2000ric wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:51 am Always thought Dynasty was odd that the faces are chopped off.
Yeah especially when they added that grey border. It would have been cool to just have the faces with no border or logos at all. Making the statement that the whole world knows who they are because of their faces, they don’t need the band name on there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tito

Post by Tito »

Mr Slow wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:28 am
Spaceace2000ric wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:51 am Always thought Dynasty was odd that the faces are chopped off.
Yeah especially when they added that grey border. It would have been cool to just have the faces with no border or logos at all. Making the statement that the whole world knows who they are because of their faces, they don’t need the band name on there.
Totally. That would've been great.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Bruce wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:06 am Part of it may be that it makes you look twice, when you see it. Like something seems 'off' about it, as you try to figure out why. Eric Carr's getting scrunched in the corner on the Asylum cover, especially.

But when its photagrsphy, its usually to do with not having very much of a choice about it, it seems like. If Dynasty had pulled back to show everyone's complete and total head, the image would start losing visual interest. Kind of the same way when your online shopping and you always get entire image of the thing your looking at.

Its boring, because there's nothing unusual or unexpected about it. Its function over form for utilitarian value. Cropping an image adds visual intetest because it's contrary, in a way. Its showing you what you want to see, rather than how you want to see it.
I get what you’re saying. It’s definitely more artsy than just the 4 faces (see my previous post) but in the case of DYNASTY they were really trying to make the statement that they were unified after rumours of them splitting up because of the solo records. So I think it needed to have that equality to it.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

The thing with anything art related is that there are a hundred different ways to present sonething and they are all "right." Unfortunately, most of the album covers the band used are just OK, in my opinion. I guess you just get to that point where you start saying, "I just want to get it done," precisely because there are so many options. I'm sure it can get overwhelming, if you let it ...
Spaceace2000ric
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Spaceace2000ric »

Would have looked great like that, I agree it would be better without the border.
Nellcote71
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Nellcote71 »

Mr Slow wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:30 am I get that when you are trying to fit 4 faces onto an album cover it can be a bit challenging, but some of these are pretty ordinary. DYNASTY is particularly perplexing because they were going for “THIS IS KISS” kinda vibe.
It’s called cropping and it’s done for a reason
Soylent Gene
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Soylent Gene »

I do like it better without the border but it needs the logo.
torgotheme
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by torgotheme »

Maximum impact. KISS is in-your face, not "you can buy this album if you feel like it."
Kissologist
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Kissologist »

Thay hate chins :P
FlamingRuth

Post by FlamingRuth »

Kissologist wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:04 am Thay hate chins :P
:lol:
They're not crazy about scalps and foreheads either.

I actually didn't realize how many album covers had the chopped off faces until Mr. Slow posted them all together like that.
FlyingInA747
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by FlyingInA747 »

Dynasty is such a horrible photo. Everyone looks so awkward and the lighting is so harsh that the makeup looks cheap and shiny.
His Majesty

Post by His Majesty »

FlamingRuth wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:35 am
Kissologist wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:04 am Thay hate chins :P
:lol:
They're not crazy about scalps and foreheads either.

I actually didn't realize how many album covers had the chopped off faces until Mr. Slow posted them all together like that.
KISS. Whatta band. They take it on the chin and keep on keepin on.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Nellcote71 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:23 am
Mr Slow wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:30 am I get that when you are trying to fit 4 faces onto an album cover it can be a bit challenging, but some of these are pretty ordinary. DYNASTY is particularly perplexing because they were going for “THIS IS KISS” kinda vibe.
And that reason is...?
You can’t even respond to a thread like this without being brash. Unbelievable! 😂
AceBishop
Banned
Banned

Post by AceBishop »

I think they cropped it to achieve impact - an in-you-face effect. The viewing experience of the make-up is more intense when you get closer. I get why they did it. It works very well. Just compare it to the uncropped version in this thread. The result is too much dead space (black) around the faces.
Nellcote71

Post by Nellcote71 »

Mr Slow wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:39 pm
Nellcote71 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:23 am
And that reason is...?
You can’t even respond to a thread like this without being brash. Unbelievable! 😂
Slow - you’re the same one that posted the Alive II layout thing, right? You kept trying to center everything. You obviously don’t understand graphic design/layout. Many of the covers you posted in this thread were cropped to make the image more cohesive as they were closeups. I wasn’t trying to be brash/rude - just saying they cropped them that way on purpose.
highvoltage1969

Post by highvoltage1969 »

You need to consider the four individual images as one single unit, there's no need for all the negative space on your variant, the extra space above Paul's head is especially off putting.
Spiritual_Chaos

Post by Spiritual_Chaos »

For having a famous expensive photographer, the Dynasty cover is the most boring unexciting band shot I have ever seen.
Nellcote71

Post by Nellcote71 »

Spiritual_Chaos wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:05 pm For having a famous expensive photographer, the Dynasty cover is the most boring unexciting band shot I have ever seen.
In hindsight it’s easy to shit on the Dynasty cover when you know they had that iconic straight jacket photo that they could have used.
I think the 4 faces cover was a way of bringing together the solo album covers. I remember at he time the cover was kind of a head scratcher - regardless it was definitely “in your face”
Doose

Post by Doose »

It's kind of like people take selfies holding the camera 4 feet above their head so they look thinner.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

AceBishop wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:14 pm I think they cropped it to achieve impact - an in-you-face effect. The viewing experience of the make-up is more intense when you get closer. I get why they did it. It works very well. Just compare it to the uncropped version in this thread. The result is too much dead space (black) around the faces.
I don’t know about that. To me, the edited version has more impact. I don’t hate the DYNASTY cover like some here seem to, but I do find it odd that they were going for a unified theme after the uncertainty of the solo records and they chop off a portion of 3 of the 4 members. 🤷‍♂️
Zorro8
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Zorro8 »

At least Gene still knew how to apply his make-up on Dynasty
KISSFACE

Post by KISSFACE »

I’d like to see an uncropped version of the Asylum cover photo or photos, i’d like to play around with some alternatives. I wish the final crop wasn’t so extreme. I’ve seen some prints where the blade was far enough off the intended cutting line that Eric doesn’t even have a mouth!
Glasgow Kiss
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

Doose wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:09 pm It's kind of like people take selfies holding the camera 4 feet above their head so they look thinner.
Noticed a couple of people trying to do a bit of artful camera placement during work conference calls to try and hide the fact they've put on a fuckton of weight over lockdown. Not fooling anybody...there's even a name for it.

The Elephant in the Zoom.
Nellcote71

Post by Nellcote71 »

Mr Slow wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:10 pm
AceBishop wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:14 pm I think they cropped it to achieve impact - an in-you-face effect. The viewing experience of the make-up is more intense when you get closer. I get why they did it. It works very well. Just compare it to the uncropped version in this thread. The result is too much dead space (black) around the faces.
I don’t know about that. To me, the edited version has more impact. I don’t hate the DYNASTY cover like some here seem to, but I do find it odd that they were going for a unified theme after the uncertainty of the solo records and they chop off a portion of 3 of the 4 members. 🤷‍♂️
The edited photo loses it’s cohesiveness/composition zoomed out. Paul’s head is cropped too - it just doesn’t register like Genes because of Paul’s bangs.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Nellcote71 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:06 am
The edited photo loses it’s cohesiveness/composition zoomed out. Paul’s head is cropped too - it just doesn’t register like Genes because of Paul’s bangs.
True but I’m thinking more about their faces than their whole heads. Paul’s entire face is there, but the other 3 have a bit cropped out.
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

The only one that really ever bothered me was the Asylum cover... at times you couldn’t even see Eric’s green lips... which should’ve been orange in the first place. 🦊🧡
Nellcote71

Post by Nellcote71 »

Mr Slow wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:12 am
True but I’m thinking more about their faces than their whole heads. Paul’s entire face is there, but the other 3 have a bit cropped out.
I know what you’re saying. Regardless - the Staightjacket photo (even blacked out) - was so cool and iconic. Even some of those superhero/Dynasty promo group shots would have been cool. As would another LG styled painting with the Dynasty costumes.

I think the 4 faces shot was a big miss in hindsight - but I get the idea to get those four iconic makeup designs front and center. I believe Dennis W even went so far to say that the Dynasty cover wasn’t fully realized the way he originally envisioned - and he was imagining something more along the lines of Creatures...
Dr Borgo
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Dr Borgo »

You could see that album cover, and know exactly who it was, from anywhere in the record store back in the day. I always figured that was the reason for having the faces so large.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Dr Borgo wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:07 am You could see that album cover, and know exactly who it was, from anywhere in the record store back in the day. I always figured that was the reason for having the faces so large.
Yeah for sure. That was the beauty of the makeup. You might mix up Supertramp with Lynyrd Skynyrd in the 70’s, Ratt with Warrant in the 80’s or Pearl Jam with Alice In Chains in the 90’s but in 1979 you’re not confusing KISS with anybody!
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

Nellcote71 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:22 am
I know what you’re saying. Regardless - the Staightjacket photo (even blacked out) - was so cool and iconic. Even some of those superhero/Dynasty promo group shots would have been cool. As would another LG styled painting with the Dynasty costumes.
Nellcote71

Post by Nellcote71 »

sneed78 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:54 pm
Nellcote71 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:22 am
Kiss always copied the stones. Like Love Gun mimics IORNR (both front and back). The dynasty photo you posted rips off a 76 Stones European poster