Vinnie Vincent vs Eddie Van Halen

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.

Vinnie Vincent vs Eddie Van Halen

Vinnie Vincent
11%
Eddie Van Halen
89%

Total votes: 318

Abberline1888
Banned
Banned

Re: Vinnie Vincent vs Eddie Van Halen

Post by Abberline1888 »

It's hilarious to me how Sphinx knows the tiny minutiae of Vinnie Vincent's life and yet we're all supposed to pretend like it's not him. I've only been posting here ten minutes and I can tell. Hell, Stevie Wonder could see through this facade.
TheSphinx
Banned
Banned

Post by TheSphinx »

Abberline1888 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:08 am It's hilarious to me how Sphinx knows the tiny minutiae of Vinnie Vincent's life and yet we're all supposed to pretend like it's not him. I've only been posting here ten minutes and I can tell. Hell, Stevie Wonder could see through this facade.
Who did you USED to POST as around here? Did you get booted and you've come back under another name?

Because I really haven't said much about Vinnie lately and I only recently came back after not posting for months.

You are SHOWING YOUR HAND!

Also, funny how you think Vinnie would know anything about Slaughter, Kiss (during the years he wasn't in it).... House of Lords and other Simmons records things etc
Abberline1888
Banned
Banned

Post by Abberline1888 »

TheSphinx wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:12 am
Abberline1888 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:08 am It's hilarious to me how Sphinx knows the tiny minutiae of Vinnie Vincent's life and yet we're all supposed to pretend like it's not him. I've only been posting here ten minutes and I can tell. Hell, Stevie Wonder could see through this facade.
Who did you USED to POST as around here? Did you get booted and you've come back under another name?

Because I really haven't said much about Vinnie lately and I only recently came back after not posting for months.

Also, funny how you think Vinnie would know anything about Slaughter, Kiss (during the years he wasn't in it).... House of Lords and other Simmons records things etc
Wow, I can't believe Vinnie Vincent is responding to my post!

To answer your question you sad, paranoid little man, I've lurked here without posting for the better part of a year. A perfunctory look at my profile would've shown you that.

Truth be told, I only started posting because I thought *you* had stopped and the place was a Vinnie-not-Vinnie free zone.

Looks like I was wrong.

Oh well, back to lurking and not posting. It seems the admin team around here would rather placate the whims of a single member than attract new ones. Whatever. Have fun at the SphinxFAQ.
stutterer
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by stutterer »

Abberline1888 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:08 amHell, Stevie Wonder could see through this facade.
I heard quite a few celebrities claiming Stevie ain't blind...
Mystogan
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Mystogan »

I was listening to this show tonight and I noticed something...at 33:36

He's literally playing "Eruption" and it's...not good :drunken: It sounds like someone trying to make it more complex but in the process forgetting to make it sound good.

This must've come up on the forum at some point but this is the first time I've ever noticed it. Thought it would be relevant to this topic :cheese:
NelvinHigby
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by NelvinHigby »

Mystogan wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:49 pm I was listening to this show tonight and I noticed something...at 33:36

He's literally playing "Eruption" and it's...not good :drunken: It sounds like someone trying to make it more complex but in the process forgetting to make it sound good.

This must've come up on the forum at some point but this is the first time I've ever noticed it. Thought it would be relevant to this topic :cheese:
that was perhaps one of the worst attempts i've ever heard of Eruption haha. People at Guitar Center are better than that
ace_frehley
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ace_frehley »

Abberline1888 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:17 am
TheSphinx wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:12 am

Wow, I can't believe Vinnie Vincent is responding to my post!

To answer your question you sad, paranoid little man, I've lurked here without posting for the better part of a year. A perfunctory look at my profile would've shown you that.

Truth be told, I only started posting because I thought *you* had stopped and the place was a Vinnie-not-Vinnie free zone.

Looks like I was wrong.

Oh well, back to lurking and not posting. It seems the admin team around here would rather placate the whims of a single member than attract new ones. Whatever. Have fun at the SphinxFAQ.
I suggest meeting a therapist :D
dicksteel
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by dicksteel »

Mystogan wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:49 pm I was listening to this show tonight and I noticed something...at 33:36

I think Rick Derringer also tried to play Eruption live while actually opening for Van Halen. Needless to say it didnt end well for Ricky.
Tito
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Tito »

dicksteel wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:59 am

I think Rick Derringer also tried to play Eruption live while actually opening for Van Halen. Needless to say it didnt end well for Ricky.
The beginning of a dark period that culminated in depping for Vinnie Vincent.
Stav.karas
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Stav.karas »

Eddie had slightly more chops than Vinnie

Eddie had WAY more musical awareness than Vinnie and knew when to play less or more

Eddie had far more tasteful playing.
Grand Classic
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Grand Classic »

Stav.karas wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:18 pm Eddie had slightly more chops than Vinnie

Eddie had WAY more musical awareness than Vinnie and knew when to play less or more

"Slightly" more chops. LOL.
UltraCynic
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by UltraCynic »

I’ve just listened to “It Ain’t Pretty... Being Easy” and I do not have one scintilla of an iota of a clue why KISS didn’t do everything they possibly could to keep Vinnie happy and on board.

What a tune! The guitar work is exemplary, and that voice...
Pete2174

Post by Pete2174 »

UltraCynic wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:46 am I’ve just listened to “It Ain’t Pretty... Being Easy” and I do not have one scintilla of an iota of a clue why KISS didn’t do everything they possibly could to keep Vinnie happy and on board.

Because Vinnie was a Wahnker??
TheSphinx
Banned
Banned

Post by TheSphinx »

UltraCynic wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:46 am I’ve just listened to “It Ain’t Pretty... Being Easy” and I do not have one scintilla of an iota of a clue why KISS didn’t do everything they possibly could to keep Vinnie happy and on board.

Because Paul's ego couldn't deal with it.

They were FAR WORSE off financially without Vinnie. Its not like they saved money. Instead of all the songs being Vinnie and Gene or Paul thee most of the were 2-3 or 4 co-writers. And Desmond etc weren't giving up their PUBLISHING.

Sure Bruce gave up his publishing and took the salary cuts etc.... but album sales tanked. Then the long periods between albums.

Look how their sales and concert attendance plummeted after they were done riding Vinnie's coat tales..... Animalize rode it (tour and album) but then....boom. Big sales decline. No interest in overseas for touring. Asylum only did 5K a night (according to CK Lendt).

All because they wanted to screw Vinnie out of $52,000 a year salary and make him give them his publishing.

HUGE MISTAKE. HUGE!
FakeFrehley
Banned
Banned

Post by FakeFrehley »

That's the rub though, isn't it?

Here's a guy who is a phenomenal talent. An incredible guitarist, a great singer, looks cool, writes catchy songs with seeming ease... and yet no one seems to be able to work with him for any real length of time.

My old dad had a saying: "if the whole world smells of shit, check your shoes." As much as I respect Vinnie as a musician and a member of my favourite band, he could do worse than to check the soles of his platforms.

A disclaimer: I understand certain members of this board are huge fans of Vinnie and I can absolutely dig that. I am not looking for an argument here and I certainly do not mean any disrespect to any other poster here. Just giving my two cents on the topic at hand.
UltraCynic
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by UltraCynic »

I would suggest his shoes were spotless while he was in KISS. Unless, mistakenly, you’re suggesting he was fired when he actually quit.

When it comes to the effluence that trickled apologetically in a fetid brown ribbon under the KISS logo from 1984 onwards it’s G&P who should be doing the sole searching.
metaldad
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by metaldad »

Wow
Look how close this utterly ridiculous poll is
Nately120

Post by Nately120 »

metaldad wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:14 pm Wow
In my defense, this is the only Van Halen song I've ever heard....

I assume all their songs sound like this one. On a more serious note, would you rather listen to that or Speeeddball Jammmm?
metaldad

Post by metaldad »

Nately120 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:47 pm

I assume all their songs sound like this one. On a more serious note, would you rather listen to that or Speeeddball Jammmm?
How is this the only VH song you have heard🤔
I would rather watch paint dry than listen to Any VV solo material
stutterer

Post by stutterer »

Like Eric Carr said, Vinnie wanted his own band. He was their equal in the songwriting department, not somebody to bounce songs off of to simply tighten them up. They had their own artistic aspirations, unlike New England who basically surrendered themselves to Vinnie and I think were a perfect band for him, unlike Kiss, where I think he simply didn't fit. I don't like Lick it Up. I think whatever Kiss chose to take from him might not have been the best he had to offer judging by Warrior material. Now THAT is stunning stuff.
redinthesky
Banned
Banned

Post by redinthesky »

metaldad wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:01 pm

Damn ain't that the truth. Vinnie's solo material is the worst tenth-rate hair band garbage. He definitely needs G&P to co-write. Heck, look what happened when they booted Vinnie, they had their biggest album/first platinum album since 1979 with "Animalize" and it was actually cool to be a Kiss fan again. Who needs who more. A shame Vinnie is a jerk, if he was a normal human being, he could have stayed in Kiss and maybe actually accomplished something.

Oh wait! Unlike everyone else who gets to share their same opinions over and over in conversations, I don't think I'm allowed anymore, I'm special.
metaldad

Post by metaldad »

redinthesky wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:34 pm

Damn ain't that the truth. Vinnie's solo material is the worst tenth-rate hair band garbage. He definitely needs G&P to co-write. Heck, look what happened when they booted Vinnie, they had their biggest album/first platinum album since 1979 with "Animalize" and it was actually cool to be a Kiss fan again. Who needs who more. A shame Vinnie is a jerk, if he was a normal human being, he could have stayed in Kiss and maybe actually accomplished something.

Oh wait! Unlike everyone else who gets to share their same opinions over and over in conversations, I don't think I'm allowed anymore, I'm special.
🍻
TheSphinx
Banned
Banned

Post by TheSphinx »

One of the worst songs in history. Just laughable how bad it is.....

Its funny... if Gene and Paul had no lied about Vinnie all these years.... this poll would have VINNIE easily beating Eddie.

KISS fans can be utterly ridiculous. What was that one poll about Greatest KISS guitarist (or who had the most impact or whatever) and how the one with the least impact of all... Spruce got a bunch of votes in it. A guy who never had his own style. Didn't even learn to play passably until REVENGE.

And heck, I'll take COTN, LIU, Invasion, ASG, Guitars From Hell, Guitarmaggedon, Euphoria, THE EP, Treasure etc over Van Halen's catalogue. I'd far rather listen to those albums over VH
TheSphinx
Banned
Banned

Post by TheSphinx »

stutterer wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:30 pm
Like Eric Carr said, Vinnie wanted his own band. He was their equal in the songwriting department, not somebody to bounce songs off of to simply tighten them up. They had their own artistic aspirations, unlike New England who basically surrendered themselves to Vinnie and I think were a perfect band for him, unlike Kiss, where I think he simply didn't fit. I don't like Lick it Up. I think whatever Kiss chose to take from him might not have been the best he had to offer judging by Warrior material. Now THAT is stunning stuff.

KISS pretty much took a ton of his songs...added very little to them... stuck their name on them and got $$$$.

LICK IT UP was the perfect comeback album. And it was at 1M in sales prior to Animalize coming out.

Animalize was such a HUGE LET DOWN. All it did is piggyback off the success of LICK IT UP. It only had a few decent songs.

And that just proved how bad they needed VINNIE. Everyone knows VINimalized would have blown away Animalize.

And then when you look how bad Asylum-HITS were and they were FORCED to call back Vinnie to get them on the right path again.

Also its funny how so many haters and clueless ones will always claim.... Vinnie needed Gene and Paul to reign him in. But they ALWAYS FORGET THE WARRIOR STUFF of the recording Vinnie made right after he went AWOL from KISS. Its funny how so many DON'T KNOW THEIR KISSTORY at all....but then they are usually the LOUDEST MOUTHS on message boards etc. But its nice to see YOU appreciate the WARRIOR stuff.
Lady Starchild STL
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Lady Starchild STL »

Eddie Van Halen compared to Vinnie ?! Are you freaking kidding me ? Vinnie doesn't even belong in the same bracket as Eddie.
Nately120

Post by Nately120 »

I always start with the last song a band/artists makes on his last album and then work back from there. Ok, I'm joking.
metaldad

Post by metaldad »

Nately120 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:02 pm

I always start with the last song a band/artists makes on his last album and then work back from there. Ok, I'm joking.
😎
Frehley's Vomit

Post by Frehley's Vomit »

TheSphinx wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:53 pmIts funny... if Gene and Paul had no lied about Vinnie all these years.... this poll would have VINNIE easily beating Eddie.
Yeah, poor Vinnie Victim. It's insane comments like this that remind us all why you're regarded as the village idiot around here.
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

battra wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:32 pm

When you have been exposed for having nothing, change the topic to the character of those whom you're debating.

aka personal attacks.
People attacked me for having the poll.
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

battra wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:32 pm
Lofton23rdSt wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:18 pm
battra wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:03 am The only way that's possible is if Vinnie was purposely playing poorly on all of his albums.
He had good solos, and they were difficult.
No.

He had vomit salad solos.
On Guitarmageddon, but he had good ones before.
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

battra wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:33 pm
Lofton23rdSt wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:19 pm
battra wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:04 am Yeah, he says he is.

Lots of people say they're something they're not.

Shredding is a term to describe the highest levels of technique. Vinnie doesn't have those. He can vomit out notes quickly, but he doesn't do it well.
People who worked with him say he was a talented guitarist. He was called a shredder.
Well, what am I to believe, what lots of people say, or my own lying ears?
Believe the people who worked with him.
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

Lofton23rdSt wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:20 pm
battra wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:06 am I said it was the better than any song Kiss did since Love Gun? I know I think it's the best Kiss song in years, but since Love Gun? I'm gonna need the receipts on that one.

He could be a better guitarist and songwriter if he chose to mask his ability all this time.

That's the only logical conclusion at this point.
You did say that. It's a poll.
I see you didn't produce any receipts on this.

As I don't think I've ever thought that and I have no recollection of ever saying that, I'm going to have to assume, like many others before you, that you don't remember something correctly.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=137465&start=50
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tail of a hurricane

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

Is this thread a joke?
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

Tommyr wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:38 am
His solos were shit. IMHO. And who cares if they were "difficult"?
Because he may have been able to outplay him. I said I would choose Eddie.
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

Frehley's Vomit wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:11 am

battra is correct. You responded by questioning the legitimacy of my avatar on this forum, rather than my response itself.
You attacked me as a Vinnie fan. Your avatar is immature.
rwgriffith
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by rwgriffith »

No disrespect to Vinnie as he is a fantastic guitarist and I do enjoy all he did with KISS and I am a fan of VVI’s first album, but I voted for Eddie.
Last edited by rwgriffith on Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

Stav.karas wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:18 pm Eddie had slightly more chops than Vinnie

haha "Slightly"....

You can add he was involved in writing better songs than Vinnie too.
Tito

Post by Tito »

Great to see this thread with a new lease on life. It was truly missed.
Frehley's Vomit

Lofton23rdSt wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:50 pm

battra is correct. You responded by questioning the legitimacy of my avatar on this forum, rather than my response itself.
Vintards lecturing on maturity. :lol:
Spaceace2000ric
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Spaceace2000ric »

Tito wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:14 am Great to see this thread with a new lease on life. It was truly missed.
I got a couple of friends to read this amazing thread, they couldn’t believe the ridiculousness of it lol, one said is TheSphinx posting from a mental institution.
redinthesky
Banned
Banned

Post by redinthesky »

Frehley's Vomit wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:06 am

I don't get it. You've been here at the Faq forever, but it seems that just lately your avatar has come up in threads in a negative fashion. For the record, I've always liked it :)
ace_frehley
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ace_frehley »

Tito wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:14 am Great to see this thread with a new lease on life. It was truly missed.
For real :lol:
doombies
Banned
Banned

Post by doombies »

we’re still on this ridiculous bullshit?
battra

Post by battra »

Lofton23rdSt wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:49 pm
Lofton23rdSt wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:20 pm
battra wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:06 am I said it was the better than any song Kiss did since Love Gun? I know I think it's the best Kiss song in years, but since Love Gun? I'm gonna need the receipts on that one.

He could be a better guitarist and songwriter if he chose to mask his ability all this time.

That's the only logical conclusion at this point.
You did say that. It's a poll.
I see you didn't produce any receipts on this.

As I don't think I've ever thought that and I have no recollection of ever saying that, I'm going to have to assume, like many others before you, that you don't remember something correctly.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=137465&start=50
I did say something like that!

I will tip my cap to you.

I've always seen Gimme A Feelin' was Kiss like Is This The Life We Really Want was Pink Floyd.

Considering that Love Gun was the last real KISS album...
Frehley's Vomit

redinthesky wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:49 am

I don't get it. You've been here at the Faq forever, but it seems that just lately your avatar has come up in threads in a negative fashion. For the record, I've always liked it :)
Me too. 8)

I'm aware of only two people that have voiced discontent with my avatar - BatDemon and Lofton23rdSt.
Grand Classic
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Grand Classic »

Frehley's Vomit wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:56 pm
redinthesky wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:49 am

Me too. 8)

I'm aware of only two people that have voiced discontent with my avatar - BatDemon and Lofton23rdSt.
We may not get along, but that is a great avatar.
drmoorejr
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by drmoorejr »

TheSphinx wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:53 am

They were FAR WORSE off financially without Vinnie. Its not like they saved money. Instead of all the songs being Vinnie and Gene or Paul thee most of the were 2-3 or 4 co-writers. And Desmond etc weren't giving up their PUBLISHING.

Sure Bruce gave up his publishing and took the salary cuts etc.... but album sales tanked. Then the long periods between albums.

Look how their sales and concert attendance plummeted after they were done riding Vinnie's coat tales..... Animalize rode it (tour and album) but then....boom. Big sales decline. No interest in overseas for touring. Asylum only did 5K a night (according to CK Lendt).

All because they wanted to screw Vinnie out of $52,000 a year salary and make him give them his publishing.

HUGE MISTAKE. HUGE!
exactly
Mad Dog

Post by Mad Dog »

drmoorejr wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:54 am

HUGE MISTAKE. HUGE!
exactly
Long periods between albums.... Vinnie's last studio album was released 32 years ago. :lol:
Doose

Post by Doose »

drmoorejr wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:54 am

HUGE MISTAKE. HUGE!
exactly
Flash Forward to 2020, and look where Gene and Paul are, and where Vinnie is.

Gene and Paul win.