Anyone else love the Creatures era?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Tito
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Anyone else love the Creatures era?

Post by Tito »

JohnBergless wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:04 pm I sure do; BUT - I only wish they would’ve told us about the guitar player switch right up front. There’s no shame in doing that. As a fan I felt frauded, belittled, disrespected, unworthy, unimportant, useless, helpless, hopeless and completely insignificant. You shoulda told us man; you shoulda told us. Both Frehley and Cusano deserved the decency of a proper acknowledgement. You should have told us.
They couldn't. Having at least three original guys was a record contract thing at the time. They had to keep up appearances.
MarshallG
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by MarshallG »

With close to 40 years since the era, analysis of it can be a bit over done, especially with everything that happened following it.

It kinda clouds things.

If I go back and remember what I thought back then, back when it was actually happening, I was stoked.

My ears kinda liked Dynasty.

They were totally deaf to Unmasked, too poppy.

I was kinda embarrassed by the concept album.

Creatures made me smile.

I remember coming home in the train staring at the cover, it looked so cool.

I remember looking at the song titles, they sounded hard/heavy.

I remember hearing the opening beats to track1 side 1 and thinking holt crap.

Yeah, made me smile.

Then, it was not an era, it was 'now' and I was happy, so happy with my band Kiss.
ManOf1000Faces
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ManOf1000Faces »

Besides the phenomenal album, I also loved the intensity with which KISS presented themselves during the Creatures era. They had become their characters.

"Every broad in the North Woods knows Old Andy." Battle Cry (1955)
Hotter Than Heck
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Hotter Than Heck »

I love it! First Kiss concert (first concert overall actually) was the Cobo Creatures show. I have the show on bootleg vinyl as "Loudest Band in Motor City"

I love the whole thing about the Creatures tour & the Vinnie/Creatures era & even tho I love it, I love its brevity too. Kind of makes it pop, make it a little more special that it was only one tour with the Wizard & the Fox, and also that so few people actually saw the thing in the US

Great stuff
FiveCardStud
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by FiveCardStud »

Calling Dr Love at Rio is by far the best they ever played it

Gene looks like he’s about to eat a baby, Vinnie plays that ripping solo and with Paul has that real dirty Jimmy page tone for the rhythm and Eric as usual is kicking ass

Great era great album wished they stayed a bit longer
steve

Post by steve »

FiveCardStud wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:27 amCalling Dr Love at Rio is by far the best they ever played it.
Aye, sir. The song did nothing for me until I heard that version.

Vinnie's Jeff Beck inspired outro to Black Diamond is also a huge improvement.
DubaiRockCity
Banned
Banned

Post by DubaiRockCity »

KISS on steroids. Love it.
HOFCity

Post by HOFCity »

Loved it.

They were raw and hungry again....like when they first started out.

That era had so much energy and power to go along with a heavy album.

Honestly, it's close to being my favorite era.
Strutter67
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Strutter67 »

Absolutely!!! My first KISS concert Jan 1983. Great show. The band was on fire. The album is my favorite album. Top notch songs, consistent, almost perfect production and Eric's drums sound amazing and his playing was amazing. They finally got their heads screwed on right (not that i dislike Dynasty, Unmasked or The Elder they were just not the right direction musically for KISS), and they delivered the goods. Killer stage as well. They were focused again and determined to be KISS again and i love everything about that era.
Four-Who-Are-One
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Four-Who-Are-One »

Wiped Out 78 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:14 pm COTN was a decent album, but it really needed more medieval flute tunes.

I'm a product of the Alive II to Elder era, which I loved, but COTN was a welcome return to a harder edge.
sneed78
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by sneed78 »

DoggFather wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:16 pm
sneed78 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:56 pm Yes, the Creatures era was awesome...

I think I feel nauseous!
Much Too Soon
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Much Too Soon »

Loved the Creatures era. Felt the band got back in a good groove. Got the Mojo back....
Then the makeup came off and the 80’s really hit .....and that was it for me.
Strutterer
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Strutterer »

I like the Creatures era, however I wonder if it's been a bit fetished over the years with the benefit of hindsight and the entire '80s catalog to pick from in 2020.

The music from Creatures was great, and the band felt a bit more raw after years of average performances. Some good live examples exist on YouTube and in trading circles. Can't say I consider it "peak" live Kiss, though.

In the pantheon of Kiss, Creatures will always have a special place. It's probably just outside of my personal top five. I'm not going to believe Creatures is anywhere near as good as the classic era. As an album, Revenge is more my taste. Lick it Up could give the record a run for its money. I prefer Creatures songs over almost everything from the Kulick years.
acesmiddlefinger

Post by acesmiddlefinger »

38 years ago today I was freezing my nuts off at the London Megastore promo appearance. Just a magical day, being in the store when the band arrived, flashbulbs going off everywhere, the Hilton hotel after the signing. Getting to spend time with Eric Carr, Gene giving us a gateaux, Ace blind drunk but in a great mood. Good times. I loved the album, it was surreal being in the store and the album playing with the band stood in front of me.
Sadly we didn't get the Creatures tour in the UK and by the time they came back here the warpaint had gone.
That 70s Guy

Post by That 70s Guy »

yes
KissCannibal

Post by KissCannibal »

Always liked it.
Destroyer72

Post by Destroyer72 »

No. It's a hodgepodge era. The whole idea of being in a BAND is that the band members write the songs, play the instruments.. that's the way it is with Sabbath, Priest, Van Halen etc etc.

The COTN album was good.. as a stand alone album. But too call it a KISS album is a bit of a stretch.
KissCannibal

Post by KissCannibal »

Destroyer72 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:07 pm No. It's a hodgepodge era. The whole idea of being in a BAND is that the band members write the songs, play the instruments.. that's the way it is with Sabbath, Priest, Van Halen etc etc.

The COTN album was good.. as a stand alone album. But too call it a KISS album is a bit of a stretch.
"But too call it a KISS album is a bit of a stretch."

Then what is it then?
Destroyer72

Post by Destroyer72 »

KissCannibal wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:08 pm
Destroyer72 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:07 pm No. It's a hodgepodge era. The whole idea of being in a BAND is that the band members write the songs, play the instruments.. that's the way it is with Sabbath, Priest, Van Halen etc etc.

Then what is it then?
It's more like a solo album of sorts. Full of outside writers. Ghost musicians galore. Just happens to have Gene and Paul singing on it.
KissCannibal

Post by KissCannibal »

Destroyer72 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:10 pm
KissCannibal wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:08 pm

Then what is it then?
It's more like a solo album of sorts. Full of outside writers. Ghost musicians galore. Just happens to have Gene and Paul singing on it.
By that logic, Pet Sounds isn't a Beach Boys album then.
KLP68
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by KLP68 »

In my make believe Universe their next album after Love Gun and Alive 2 was COTN.
KissRMe4life
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by KissRMe4life »

What I LOVE about the creatures era is the poster with them standing with a black and blue background. It’s like a reimagining of the Destroyer cover
Allamericanman
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Allamericanman »

KLP68 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:17 pm In my make believe Universe their next album after Love Gun and Alive 2 was COTN.

:salut:
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I think Vinnie & Eric's makeups look great, in the promo shots the band took togethet & actually look better to me than the original lineup. I'm a fan of I Love It Loud, especially ...
Miss Kitty
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Miss Kitty »

I like some songs from that era.
ManOf1000Faces
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ManOf1000Faces »

Strutterer wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:24 pm I like the Creatures era, however I wonder if it's been a bit fetished over the years with the benefit of hindsight and the entire '80s catalog to pick from in 2020.

The music from Creatures was great, and the band felt a bit more raw after years of average performances. Some good live examples exist on YouTube and in trading circles. Can't say I consider it "peak" live Kiss, though.

In the pantheon of Kiss, Creatures will always have a special place. It's probably just outside of my personal top five. I'm not going to believe Creatures is anywhere near as good as the classic era. As an album, Revenge is more my taste. Lick it Up could give the record a run for its money. I prefer Creatures songs over almost everything from the Kulick years.
What part of KISS fandom is not a fetish?
Strutterer
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Strutterer »

ManOf1000Faces wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:11 pm
Strutterer wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:24 pm I like the Creatures era, however I wonder if it's been a bit fetished over the years with the benefit of hindsight and the entire '80s catalog to pick from in 2020.

What part of KISS fandom is not a fetish?
Hahaha, good point!
KISS#1

Post by KISS#1 »

I love this era.
AliveIIside4
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by AliveIIside4 »

Great era! Sad they were at the bottom of the barrel.
Rockandrolloverman

Post by Rockandrolloverman »

I didn’t really care for it that much it That was also the first time I saw them live

It was exciting to see them return to a more kiss look and a heavy sound, but the song writing on the album was not that impressive. It had a few decent songs on it but most of it was rather weak

and overall the stage show was impressive at first sight, but didn’t have much to offer as far as theatrics and impressive movement

It did look cool when you first saw it yes.....but it just wasn’t very impressive as far as live spectacle. The canon fired, and the pipes smoke but that was all it did for the entire show