Most Magical KISS Memory

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
southernkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Most Magical KISS Memory

Post by southernkiss »

I know we FAQers got into KISS at different ages and eras, but we all have many magical KISS memories. Would anyone like to share their number one KISS memory?

My number one KISS memory is of the very first time I saw KISS live when I was in the sixth grade.

When I was in fourth grade, I started to become fascinated with KISS and started listening to them. They very quickly became my favorite band. It would not be until sixth grade that I experienced my favorite KISS memory.

In sixth grade, my dad would drop me off at school on his way to work. When school was over, my grandmother would pick me up. In sixth grade, after school let out one day, I went outside the building and expected, as usual, to get picked up by my grandmother. My plans for the afternoon were to go home and rock out to KISS (as I did everyday after school).

However, I saw a car outside the building that looked like my dad's car. I walked up to the car and sure enough, it was my dad's car. I got in the car and saw a little overnight bag inside. I asked my dad why he was picking me up from school. He told me that he just thought it would be a good day to take off from work early and pick me up from school.

When we drove off of the school parking lot, we got on the interstate and started traveling in the opposite direction of where we lived. It was very apparent to me that we were not going home. I finally asked my dad to tell me where we were really going.

He told me that on the car's floorboard, there was an envelope with my name on it. He told me that if I opened up the envelope, I would know where we were going. I reached down and opened up the envelope. Inside the envelope were two KISS tickets!!! I was so happy and excited to get the tickets that I burst into tears! I am getting teary eyed just typing this story up!

We drove to a city about two hours away and experienced our first KISS show! For an eleven year old, it does not get any more exciting than that! In my KISS room, I have the framed ticket stubs with three pieces of confetti from the show!

What is your favorite memory of KISS fandom?
Last edited by southernkiss on Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caligari
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Most Magical KISS Memory

Post by caligari »

southernkiss wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:50 pm I know we FAQers got into KISS at different ages and eras, but we all have many magical KISS memories. Would anyone like to share their number one KISS memory?

My number one KISS memory is of the very first time I saw KISS live when I was in the sixth grade.

When I was in fourth grade, I started to become fascinated with KISS and started listening to them. They very quickly became my favorite band. It would not be until sixth grade that I experienced my favorite KISS memory.

In sixth grade, my dad would drop me off at school on his way to work. When school was over, my grandmother would pick me up. In sixth grade, after school let out one day, I went outside the building and expected, as usual, to get picked up by my grandmother. My plans for the afternoon were to go home and rock out to KISS (as I did everyday after school).

However, I saw a car outside the building that looked like my dad's car. I walked up to the car and sure enough, it was my dad's car. I got in the car and saw a little overnight bag inside. I asked my dad why he was picking me up from school. He told me that he just thought it would be a good day to take off from work early and pick me up from school.

When we drove off of the school parking lot, we got on the interstate and started traveling in the opposite direction of where we lived. It was very apparent to me that we were not going home. I finally asked my dad to tell me where we were really going.

He told me that on the car's floorboard, there was an envelope with my name on it. He told me that if I opened up the envelope, I would know where we were going. I reached down and opened up the envelope. Inside the envelope were two KISS tickets!!! I was so happy and excited to get the tickets that I burst into tears! I am getting teary eyed just typing this story up!

We drove to a city about two hours away and experienced our first KISS show! For an eleven year old, it does not get any more exciting that! In my KISS room, I have the framed ticket stubs with three pieces of confetti from the show!

Awesome memory! Awesome Father! What tour was it that you saw?
sf1996
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by sf1996 »

My mother and I watching the Dynasty show
She stills talks about to this day
WI KISSfan
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by WI KISSfan »

The first time hearing them. Getting that DP LP for a Christmas gift, what the hell is this?

People slag on Strutter '78, whatever, that was the first song, that drum intro, what have I been missing.

We just had the 1st anniversary of the passing of my aunt who gave me that LP, she was completely clueless at the time and always said had she known more about them she wouldn't have bought it. But KISS became part of my life that day, my favorite band. To this day that first run through of those two LP's will always be a special memory!
Last edited by WI KISSfan on Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnsaidwhat
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by johnsaidwhat »

Tupac shocking the people was pretty magical.
The Intrepid press conference and the will they or won't they build up to it was pretty magical.
Tommyr

Post by Tommyr »

My first Kiss show, March 21st 1975 Beacon theater NYC! 7:30 show. I can still smell the smoke and feel the flash pots!
missingdiver

Post by missingdiver »

watching phantom on tv halloween 1978...
Getting Alive 2 christmas 79 and opening up that gatefold
Seeing Creatures tour Feb 13 1983
PsychoElder

Post by PsychoElder »

Tiger Stadium, Reunion Tour. Easily my most magical KISS memory. My first KISS concert was on the Lick It Up tour so to see the original band was amazing. I paid a security guard $100 to sneak me in a side door. It’s the only KISS show that I don’t have a ticket stub for. Incredible atmosphere in and around the stadium that night. It might have been Crown Royal who said that KISS truly was The Hottest Band In The World that night.
Crown Royal
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Crown Royal »

Tiger Stadium
Carr Isma
Banned
Banned

Post by Carr Isma »

southernkiss wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:50 pm What is your favorite memory of KISS fandom?
Killer story!

My magical memories are probably:
1. Watching KISS Meets the Phantom live.
2. Getting all four solo albums, Christmas '78, and doing pretty much nothing but listening to them until the next school day.
3. When Paul and Gene appeared at the start of my first concert: LIU tour.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Discovering ASYLUM!!
Last edited by Bruce on Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shandi777

Post by shandi777 »

There were so many growing up in the 70's but Tiger Stadium, and all 4 nights at the garden are hard to beat.
ACESTATION

Post by ACESTATION »

It is not my story but one that was told to me by a die hard KISS fan/ pal of mine at the time around 1997.
He told me about when he was hitch hiking on the highway in 1983 to get to the Creatures of the Night concert over 100 miles away. He was about 25 years old that day and he got a ride. It turned out to be his very own Dad who picked him up and after the concert drove him home. This guy also named his first daughter Shandi who is now approaching 40...yikes.
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

Seeing Attack of the Phantoms at my local cinema in 1980 as an 8 year old fan who had never even seen them move before!
Ace Fury

Post by Ace Fury »

Waiting for the Magic book.

;)
I really wanted to get the Kiss Grooves magazine with them on the glass boxes as a kid. I'd seen it at a friends house. I did find it at 7-11 a few days later The other was taking a trip to the mountains with my parents and we stopped at a little market and they had the Kiss Meets the Phantom magazine! I was so excited and they got it for me. I was blown away. Those were so tricky to find if you didnt hit the right market or 7-11 etc.

No e bay back then.

:)
mrmajester
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by mrmajester »

First time seeing them at Wembley Arena September 9th 1980, still see it as clear as day, to me it was like the end of Close Encounters Of The Third Kind when Roy Neary meets all the other people who had seen UFO's and realised he was not alone in his experiences. The point I'm making is that I thought I was the only KISS fan in London until that night when I saw a few thousand more. Happy, happy days.
elleneff
Banned
Banned

Post by elleneff »

Seeing the MOR Donnington show and getting to meet Eric and Gary
Being involved w Carol and Kiss Krazy fanzine
Astoria 92
I just wanna Video shoot on a intensely warm summer day
Visiting Lubbock for the start of the HITS tour
Wembley 92 Revenge.
southernkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by southernkiss »

caligari wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:59 pm Awesome memory! Awesome Father! What tour was it that you saw?
The Farewell Tour.
warmachine731

Post by warmachine731 »

I'd have to say my first show, 12.29.1996 at Nassau Coliseum. I'll never forget the lights going down and the euphoric feeling of whats coming next.

My earliest memories in life were being surrounded by KISS so as a 5/6 year old kid in 1992/1993, they were my version of Disney. So from the time of first hearing and falling in love with the band, to finally seeing them as a 9 year old kid on the Reunion, there was nothing to compare.
Eddie Van Hazel

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

Staying up late for Allison Steele's show.
KMTP
Dynasty Tour 79
First and third night at MSG 96
southernkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by southernkiss »

Carr Isma wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:58 pm
southernkiss wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:50 pm What is your favorite memory of KISS fandom?
Killer story!
I later emailed the story to Gene and he posted it on his website.
VanRockCity
Banned
Banned

Post by VanRockCity »

August 1976. After several months of living off of Destroyer and Alive! I found myself in the hospital, recovering from a minor operation. My parents surprised me with The Originals (on 8-track like the other two). The included book was my first real exposure to reading anything about Kiss. Loved the old pictures and story of the band, and of course the music was fantastic. Those three releases were pretty much all I listened to for the next two years.
ace_frehley
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ace_frehley »

That's an awesome story! :D
My most magical Kiss memory had to be the first time I saw Kiss, which was last month (I made a thread of more details about it), but other than that, I remember the first time I started listening to Kiss. I remember my dad bought me the first Kissology. At that time, I first started getting into Kiss, just listening to their music, not seeing much of them. Once I put in the dvd, I was glued to the TV, I couldn't get my eyes off how hypnotizing it was to see them play. To see how cool they looked. It blew my mind. Not only did their music sound awesome, but they looked awesome too!

I was most hypnotized from Ace, seeing how he played. Ace has always been my favorite :D . My dad plays guitar and was a fan of Ace as a kid too! He even dressed like Ace for Halloween, he made his own costume and everything! He now owns a Ace Frehley Budokan Les Paul.
Although when I started getting older, I started getting more into Kiss then I ever have. I would say right now, is the most I have ever been into Kiss. I started learning things about them that I never knew.

I remember going to see the Kiss Mini Golf opening as a kid and realising how cool it was to see Mr. Speed (the tribute band), considering it was the closest I could get to seeing Kiss at the time. I remember seeing how cool it was. I was just imagining it was them. That day was the day I bought my first Kiss shirt. That was just the start of my Kiss collection. I still have that shirt too! :lol: . Ever since, I have been collecting Kiss stuff so much, to the point where I have no room on my walls for any more Kiss posters. Its to the point where I have Kiss posters on my ceiling.
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

Getting Ace's '78 solo sometime in the mid-80s. We were listening to it while decorating the Christmas tree. Every now and then I sneaked away from the Christmas tree and grabbed the album cover just to gawk at Ace, mesmerized. :D
Kissologist

Post by Kissologist »

Discovering them thru Alive II 8)
kenn.ace

Post by kenn.ace »

Seeing KISS Live July 29, 1977.
southernkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by southernkiss »

PsychoElder wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:52 pm Tiger Stadium, Reunion Tour. Easily my most magical KISS memory. My first KISS concert was on the Lick It Up tour so to see the original band was amazing. I paid a security guard $100 to sneak me in a side door. It’s the only KISS show that I don’t have a ticket stub for. Incredible atmosphere in and around the stadium that night. It might have been Crown Royal who said that KISS truly was The Hottest Band In The World that night.
Did an usher not ever ask to see your ticket after you were let in the stadium?
PsychoElder

Post by PsychoElder »

southernkiss wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:55 pm
PsychoElder wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:52 pm Tiger Stadium, Reunion Tour. Easily my most magical KISS memory. My first KISS concert was on the Lick It Up tour so to see the original band was amazing. I paid a security guard $100 to sneak me in a side door. It’s the only KISS show that I don’t have a ticket stub for. Incredible atmosphere in and around the stadium that night. It might have been Crown Royal who said that KISS truly was The Hottest Band In The World that night.
Once we got inside the door the security guard asked for the $100 and I asked for a ticket. He told me that he did his job by getting me in the stadium and that he didn’t have a ticket. Told me to play it cool and everything would work out lol.

I had never seen the original band and I had gotten this far so I gave him the cash. He said “half your battle is over now find a place to sit” and he walked out the door we came in.

I made my way inside the stadium and headed for the upper deck because I figured that was my best chance of not getting thrown out. I just picked a section at random and walked into the seating area and told the usher that he had shown me my seat 30 minutes earlier and he bought it. He had no clue that he had never seen me before and let me in. I picked a seat and nobody ever showed up for that seat. I guess it was just meant to be.
southernkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by southernkiss »

PsychoElder wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:09 pm
Once we got inside the door the security guard asked for the $100 and I asked for a ticket. He told me that he did his job by getting me in the stadium and that he didn’t have a ticket. Told me to play it cool and everything would work out lol.

I had never seen the original band and I had gotten this far so I gave him the cash. He said “half your battle is over now find a place to sit” and he walked out the door we came in.

I made my way inside the stadium and headed for the upper deck because I figured that was my best chance of not getting thrown out. I just picked a section at random and walked into the seating area and told the usher that he had shown me my seat 30 minutes earlier and he bought it. He had no clue that he had never seen me before and let me in. I picked a seat and nobody ever showed up for that seat. I guess it was just meant to be.
That is awesome that it worked out for you! If someone with a ticket for that seat had showed up, you could have been thrown out immediately! It sounds like you had a truly magical experience!
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

Nov 21, 1980
Sydney Showground

Seeing the 4 members rise from underneath the stage, bathed in their individual colors, arms raised, ready to rock.

Lives in my mind as vivid today as it was almost 40 years ago.
PsychoElder

Post by PsychoElder »

southernkiss wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:18 pm
PsychoElder wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:09 pm

That is awesome that it worked out for you! If someone with a ticket for that seat had showed up, you could have been thrown out immediately! It sounds like you had a truly magical experience!
The closer it got to showtime the more nervous I got. Once KISS had played 4 or 5 songs I was guessing it was gonna work out. Had an empty seat beside me so that’s where I put my merch lol.
sugardaddy

Post by sugardaddy »

FB_IMG_1525961955893.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PsychoElder

Post by PsychoElder »

sugardaddy wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:55 pm
FB_IMG_1525961955893.jpg
Awesome!
southernkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by southernkiss »

sugardaddy wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:55 pm
FB_IMG_1525961955893.jpg
Camped out for almost twenty four hours for tickets?! That must have been an experience in and of itself! LOL!
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

I would like to say it was my first Kiss concert, but I'm sorry - that one was just confusing.
Lick It Up tour, no makeup, Vinnie playing all the old solos in new ways, the volume high as f**k.
In retrospect, I can appreciate it, but at the time I wondered where Kiss had gone.

I say the most magical Kiss memory for me, was when I truly succumbed to fanhood.
This was in no small amount due to the Poster magazines being published in Sweden in the 70's.
Looking at these, while you were listening to the records... Then you were hooked!
348184582_ea7cfe58-e18e-4f66-8cad-a63d2012fcb4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
southernkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by southernkiss »

I still remember the order in which I saw the members at my first show. We were sitting on the lower level, a little to the right of the stage. I first saw Peter, then Paul, then Ace, and then Gene! I will never forget it!
DeweyWarren
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by DeweyWarren »

When they walked out on that tank and ripped into Creatures in '83. My superheroes came to life in that moment.
Carr Isma
Banned
Banned

Post by Carr Isma »

southernkiss wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:18 pm
I still remember the order in which I saw the members at my first show. We were sitting on the lower level, a little to the right of the stage. I first saw Peter, then Paul, then Ace, and then Gene! I will never forget it!
Awesome!
southernkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by southernkiss »

Do any other FAQers want to share more magical KISS memories?
Rockandrolloverman

Post by Rockandrolloverman »

Seeing them life for the first time is obviously quite an experience (Creatures tour for me), but I’ll add something different

I was extremely excited and thrilled as a young fan to hear alive II for the first time—— while looking at the pictures on the album cover and the gate fold opened up (Wow) and imagining what the show must’ve been like, as the album played in the background with the crowd cheers, the bombs and seeing Gene drenched in blood, hearing the Ace lead solo, Peters solo..........cranked real loud are you excitedly examined the pictures——- that was also a very memorable experience To a young fan

Totally “consuming” And being absorbed into alive II
Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

southernkiss wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:50 pm I know we FAQers got into KISS at different ages and eras, but we all have many magical KISS memories. Would anyone like to share their number one KISS memory?

We drove to a city about two hours away and experienced our first KISS show! For an eleven year old, it does not get any more exciting than that! In my KISS room, I have the framed ticket stubs with three pieces of confetti from the show!

This may be the best post I have read on the FAQ.
BullSid
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by BullSid »

Meeting the band in full makeup for the very first time backstage at Donington. The first reunionshow in Europe.
southernkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by southernkiss »

Goodwilltowardsall wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:00 pm

This may be the best post I have read on the FAQ.
I am glad that you like the post. I was really excited when Gene posted it on his website. I do not know if it is still there or not.

I am not a parent myself. However, I am an uncle. I might one day try and do something like this for my nibblings. I would love to surprise pick them up from school and take them to do something they rather do than anything else in the whole wide world.
steve

Post by steve »

Solid Gold 1982 (this was my Paul Lynde Halloween special)

Killers on vinyl for my sixth birthday

Feb 6th, 1995. Always and forever, the best concert I've seen any KISS lineup play
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

July 30, 1995... Gene flying my brother and I to NYC for the Roseland Ballroom unplugged show because of some artwork I sent in to a Livewire magazine KISS art contest... and putting us up at the Regal Royale hotel for a night where the band was staying.

The clincher was Bruce calling me up onstage to present me with a black ESP Explorer before KISS played... it was a killer day!

I remember my brother and I talking to Frank Bello from Anthrax in the crowd and he thought we were full of shit until Bruce called my name to come to the stage and get the guitar lol
StrangestWay
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by StrangestWay »

#1 is:
First Kiss show, Creatures tour, Feb. 1983, Dubuque, Iowa. So special, totally magical to finally see them after being into them for about 5 years at that point. And the strange VV surprise of "who the hell is that with that weird makeup?"

runner up:
Meet and Greet, and performance in Burbank, CA, @ Foundations Forum in 1993 (all '70s set in a pretty small room; first time ever playing "Goin' Blind"). Told Gene something he didn't know about Kiss and got a great response from him (ie. a genuine laugh!)

so many more...like buying The Elder brand new, being shocked at how weird it was, but absolutely loving it, as I still do.
southernkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by southernkiss »

StrangestWay wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:15 pm #1 is:
First Kiss show, Creatures tour, Feb. 1983, Dubuque, Iowa. So special, totally magical to finally see them after being into them for about 5 years at that point. And the strange VV surprise of "who the hell is that with that weird makeup?"

runner up:
Meet and Greet, and performance in Burbank, CA, @ Foundations Forum in 1993 (all '70s set in a pretty small room; first time ever playing "Goin' Blind"). Told Gene something he didn't know about Kiss and got a great response from him (ie. a genuine laugh!)

so many more...like buying The Elder brand new, being shocked at how weird it was, but absolutely loving it, as I still do.
What did you tell Gene that he did not know?
acesmiddlefinger

Post by acesmiddlefinger »

Creatures of the Night Promo Tour, London Virgin Megastore 1982. Amazing day from start to finish.
criss75
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by criss75 »

Being 8 years old in 1983 and seeing the Alive 2 promo on tv... Blew my mind.
Dengar
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Dengar »

December 6, 1996. Stockholm Sweden. Reunion tour.

I had tried but failed to get a ticket, the show had sold out almost instantly. At the time I was 20 years old and doing (mandatory) military service. I had practically no income (the army only paid a couple of $ per day as pocket money). I did however have the night off so I went to the arena just to engulf the atmosphere. Outside I got to talk to a scalper who offered me a ticket that would cost me more than a month worth of savings for a bad seat high up at he side of the stage. I couldn’t believe my luck!

The show was pure magic and remains to this day by far my best concert experience ever!