What is the most known KISS song worldwide?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.

Most known KISS song

I WAS MADE FOR LOVING YOU
61%
ROCK AND ROLL ALL NITE
39%

Total votes: 205

Mackemkiss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: What is the most known KISS song worldwide?

Post by Mackemkiss »

Tito wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:34 am
KrazySwede wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:29 am
BeholderFan wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:46 am I voted for RARAN. Kind of ironic that KISS would be known more for a damned disco tune, though
Could've been worse....think Aerosmith and 'Don't Wanna Miss a Thing'....Slade 'My Oh My'.....Benatar 'Love Is A Battlefield'.....Cooper 'Poison'.....
I'll sooner listen to Alice Cooper's "Poison" than IWMFLY, anytime.
Both great. Both written by the same person. 8)
mike115
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by mike115 »

ISMFLY was just a plastic hit worldwide :lol: :lol:
LadySpace84
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by LadySpace84 »

I voted RARAN

I can probably go the rest of my life without ever hearing that song again!
Last edited by LadySpace84 on Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenn.ace

Post by kenn.ace »

I Was Made For Lovin' You.
Thunderous_Lay
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

The amount of folks seemingly unaware of the meaning of the word "worldwide" is mind-boggling, to say the least...
mike115 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:46 pmIWMFLY was just a plastic hit worldwide
:lol: :lol: 8)
NYRockCity
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by NYRockCity »

jannep17 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:18 am
curryleaf wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:08 am Sadly, it's probably God Gave Rock And Roll To You II.
I challenge you to find even two people on a random city street to mention that song first.

If you ask 10 people who can actually mention one Kiss song, I say 6 mentions IWMFLY, 3 mentions Heaven's On Fire and 1 mentions RARAN.
In the USA if you ask people under about 27 they’d probably say RARAN

Also does anyone know why Kiss spells night like nite in the song?
Crown Royal
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Crown Royal »

Thunderous_Lay wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:45 pm The amount of folks seemingly unaware of the meaning of the word "worldwide" is mind-boggling, to say the least...
mike115 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:46 pmIWMFLY was just a plastic hit worldwide
:lol: :lol: 8)
Fuckin relax, Mr Cosmopolitan, he has an opinion, nothing more or less
Crown Royal

Post by Crown Royal »

Mr Slow wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:39 pm
Crown Royal wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:21 pm What songs is played most at sporting events around the world?

Probably RARAN
That probably speaks more to the party anthemic lyrics more than the popularity of the song. I heard I Love It Loud at a NBL game once (Aust basketball league). It was a big shock! But IWMFLY isn’t really stadium anthem like RARAN is. What gets played more on radio? Or in the background of media stories about KISS? Without having the numbers it’s impossible to know, but I feel like IWMFLY would be more known on a worldwide scale.
I see your point.

Still stickin' with RARAN
NYRockCity
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by NYRockCity »

Crown Royal wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:26 pm
Crown Royal wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:21 pm What songs is played most at sporting events around the world?

Probably RARAN
That probably speaks more to the party anthemic lyrics more than the popularity of the song. I heard I Love It Loud at a NBL game once (Aust basketball league). It was a big shock! But IWMFLY isn’t really stadium anthem like RARAN is. What gets played more on radio? Or in the background of media stories about KISS? Without having the numbers it’s impossible to know, but I feel like IWMFLY would be more known on a worldwide scale.
I see your point.

I think it depends on the age group you ask like I feel like a lot of the middle to younger millennials and on know RARAN more than IWMFLY
Crown Royal

Post by Crown Royal »

NYRockCity wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:29 pm
Crown Royal wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:26 pm

Probably RARAN
I see your point.

I think it depends on the age group you ask like I feel like a lot of the middle to younger millennials and on know RARAN more than IWMFLY
Yes, good point, are group has to be considered
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

NYRockCity wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:48 pm
jannep17 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:18 am
curryleaf wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:08 am Sadly, it's probably God Gave Rock And Roll To You II.
I challenge you to find even two people on a random city street to mention that song first.

If you ask 10 people who can actually mention one Kiss song, I say 6 mentions IWMFLY, 3 mentions Heaven's On Fire and 1 mentions RARAN.
In the USA if you ask people under about 27 they’d probably say RARAN

Also does anyone know why Kiss spells night like nite in the song?
I think it’s influenced by the British band Slade. They often spelled song titles phonetically.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

Probably RARAN
Have never heard RARAN at a sporting event, unless you count when Kiss played the Olympics and the pre-show to the Superbowl.
I Was Made For Lovin' You is played at every hockey game in Europe. Well, nearly...

That chugga-chugga intro is great to get a crowd going.
VanRockCity
Banned
Banned

Post by VanRockCity »

jannep17 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:18 am

Probably RARAN
Have never heard RARAN at a sporting event, unless you count when Kiss played the Olympics and the pre-show to the Superbowl.
I Was Made For Lovin' You is played at every hockey game in Europe. Well, nearly...

Yeah, I've never heard it at a sporting event, except for maybe every single one. C'mon man.
VanRockCity
Banned
Banned

Post by VanRockCity »

Mr Slow wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:57 pm
VanRockCity wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:13 am IWMFLY was the type of European hit that was short-lived, among non-rock fans, and quickly disappeared from the pop fans world as they moved on to the next disposable euro-trash garbage "hit". R&RAN is a classic that every rock fan in North America knows so much they're obviously sick of it. As I mentioned earlier, it's much more ingrained into people's psyche than the dumb disco song that most Kiss fans hated.
Again you mention North America. It’s a big world out there and more people know IWMFLY. You are clearly letting your bias against it rule you.
Again, I mentioned Europe. What are you, illiterate or something? All this "bias" talk lately - good god, people don't even know what it actually means apparently.
VanRockCity
Banned
Banned

Post by VanRockCity »

Tito wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:25 pm
VanRockCity wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:13 am IWMFLY was the type of European hit that was short-lived, among non-rock fans, and quickly disappeared from the pop fans world as they moved on to the next disposable euro-trash garbage "hit". R&RAN is a classic that every rock fan in North America knows so much they're obviously sick of it. As I mentioned earlier, it's much more ingrained into people's psyche than the dumb disco song that most Kiss fans hated.
That's well and good but also not what this thread is about.
The massive popularity of RARAN in North America trumps the fleeting flavour of the day success in Europe. That's exactly what this thread is about.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

VanRockCity wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:37 am

Probably RARAN

Yeah, I've never heard it at a sporting event, except for maybe every single one. C'mon man.
RARAN? Really? I honestly have never heard it a sporting event. With those exceptions I mentioned.
Maybe I have been going to the wrong ones.
d4nugster
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by d4nugster »

voted iwmfly as it got played here in our corner of the world. although beth was more famous. nobody knew what the fuck raran was.
The Fox

Post by The Fox »

Tito wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:36 am There is no question, it's IWMFLY. I know some of our U.S. brethren choose to ignore this fact, but that doesn't change the reality of the matter.
My first thought was "I Was Made For Lovin' You"
Tito

Post by Tito »

VanRockCity wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:41 am
Tito wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:25 pm
That's well and good but also not what this thread is about.
The massive popularity of RARAN in North America trumps the fleeting flavour of the day success in Europe. That's exactly what this thread is about.
Wow. OK. Never mind the actual TITLE of the thread, and the question posed by the original poster, YOU decide what this is about. Gotcha.

You quite clearly have no idea what you're talking about, "fleeting flavour of the day success in Europe", where are you from again? We are not discussing the song being a hit when it came out. We're discussing the band's best known song INTERNATIONALLY right now. And that, whatever you want to believe, is not "Rock And Roll All Nite".
Kloetenburger
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kloetenburger »

Anyone and his mother knows IWMFLY.
Tito

Post by Tito »

Crown Royal wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:30 pm
NYRockCity wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:29 pm I think it depends on the age group you ask like I feel like a lot of the middle to younger millennials and on know RARAN more than IWMFLY
Age group, sure, but in particular geography since that's the topic here. You're both clearly off target on this one.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

VanRockCity wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:39 am
Mr Slow wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:57 pm
Again you mention North America. It’s a big world out there and more people know IWMFLY. You are clearly letting your bias against it rule you.
Again, I mentioned Europe. What are you, illiterate or something? All this "bias" talk lately - good god, people don't even know what it actually means apparently.
Are you saying you didn’t mention North America?
Crown Royal

Post by Crown Royal »

Tito wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:01 am
Crown Royal wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:30 pm
NYRockCity wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:29 pm I think it depends on the age group you ask like I feel like a lot of the middle to younger millennials and on know RARAN more than IWMFLY
Age group, sure, but in particular geography since that's the topic here. You're both clearly off target on this one.
Age group can encompass geographical issues
nitrokiss
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by nitrokiss »

I went with RARAN, but I'm not sure now. Lol

I went with my brother in law to the two last KISS shows in Edmonton (thus far) and, as a lifelong KISS junkie, I was surprised at the small amount of songs he knew. He know IWMFLY, Detroit Rock City, RARAN and Shout It Out Loud - that's it! And I thought he would know more the second time around, but he didn't! It's funny how, when you listen to a band so much for so long, that you don't see how little the general public knows about them.
KrazySwede

Post by KrazySwede »

jannep17 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:51 am

Probably RARAN

RARAN? Really? I honestly have never heard it a sporting event. With those exceptions I mentioned.
KISS-music at sporting events is most definitely a thing. Over here you hear a handful of their best known songs (IWMFLY, Crazy Nights, HOF, Lick It Up and I Love It Loud) at hockeygames....

In the U.S. the crowd even take over the singing (happened at a Sharks game after they beat Ducks)
metalfuel

Post by metalfuel »

BeholderFan wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:46 am I voted for RARAN. Kind of ironic that KISS would be known more for a damned disco tune, though
RARAN was a hit in the USA alone, IWMFLY was a hit in various countries around the world.
Tito

Post by Tito »

metalfuel wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:01 am RARAN was a hit in the USA alone, IWMFLY was a hit in various countries around the world.
A surprisingly hard concept for some to get their heads around.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

KrazySwede wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:55 am

Probably RARAN

KISS-music at sporting events is most definitely a thing. Over here you hear a handful of their best known songs (IWMFLY, Crazy Nights, HOF, Lick It Up and I Love It Loud) at hockeygames....

In the U.S. the crowd even take over the singing (happened at a Sharks game after they beat Ducks)
Yeah, but have you ever heard RARAN at a game? I haven't.
KrazySwede

Post by KrazySwede »

jannep17 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:41 am
KrazySwede wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:55 am

Probably RARAN

Yeah, but have you ever heard RARAN at a game? I haven't.
No, not really - of the older stuff (they play over here) it's usually GOT and DRC they play. At the Sharks-game where the crowd sang along, that was RARAN. Maybe that's how it is...in the US the Kiss-signaturesong is obviously RARAN....outside the U.S it's really not.
belgiankissarmy
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by belgiankissarmy »

You're talking about North America, right? Cause to this day everybody knows I Was Made... in many parts of the world. My 80+-year old Belgian aunties know the song as do younger generations, but equally my Thai girlfriend knows the song from the radio in Bangkok. It's still being played all over the world on family-friendly radio stations. So you can hardly call that a fleeting succes.
Last edited by belgiankissarmy on Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
belgiankissarmy
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by belgiankissarmy »

N° 221 in the all-time classics list of national Flemish radio, Belgium; in between "I Heard it Through The Grapevine" and "You Can Call Me All" :-)
https://1000klassiekers.radio2.be/lijst
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

metalfuel wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:01 am
RARAN was a hit in the USA alone, IWMFLY was a hit in various countries around the world.
What's (not so) funny about IWMFLY from its debut & all through the 1980's ...it was their most loathed song in the US. I can't count the number of times people would bring it up & what a homosexual Paul is, etc. It pleasured haters to rub it in your face; especially, once they knew you were still a KISS fan. And no matter what city ...go to another & hear it all over again from completely different guys. I'd get really pissed-off with them if they got too sexually graphic (about Paul sucking abilities); as it almost felt they'd might even try to actually sexually assault me, too. Some guys were extremely aggressive towards me about their hatred for KISS.

And of course, once the reunion happened (or even a little before that) ...all is forgiven (or forgotten) & not a peep about this from anyone, anymore. I'm still a bit pissed-off about that happening & so bloody often for nearly a decade straight.

:x
BeholderFan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by BeholderFan »

Tito wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:05 am
metalfuel wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:01 am RARAN was a hit in the USA alone, IWMFLY was a hit in various countries around the world.
As you are quoting someone who responded to ME, I should let you that I GOT the concept. I just voted for RARAN, because that was my opinion. I didn't think about IWMFLY. No need to put down someone.
PassMeBy
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by PassMeBy »

Kisscandinavia wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:47 am Europe: I was made... Everybody knows that! R&R all nite - Only Kiss / Rock fans know it.
You're insane.
Not their most known song worldwide but it certainly surpasses the general rock audience.
KingOfHearts89 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:31 am Spotify -
IWMFLY - 250,397,713
R&RAN - 161,384,464
DRC - 81,080,531
Makes sense.
dynastybjr
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by dynastybjr »

IWMFLY might be a better known song overall, as it was a bigger international hit. However, I would say the majority of people don't know it's a Kiss song.

More people know that RARAN is a Kiss song.
Tito

Post by Tito »

BeholderFan wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:32 am
Tito wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:05 am
As you are quoting someone who responded to ME, I should let you that I GOT the concept. I just voted for RARAN, because that was my opinion. I didn't think about IWMFLY. No need to put down someone.
I had no intention of putting you down and hoped that would come across, as I deliberately left your comment out of it. Apologies if that failed. I responded in particular to what metalfuel said, and my comment was generally directed at a lot of comments in this thread.
Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia »

PassMeBy wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:42 am
Kisscandinavia wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:47 am Europe: I was made... Everybody knows that! R&R all nite - Only Kiss / Rock fans know it.
You're insane.
Not their most known song worldwide but it certainly surpasses the general rock audience.
IWMFLY - 250,397,713
R&RAN - 161,384,464
DRC - 81,080,531
Makes sense.

??? SO who is insane here?
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

Kisscandinavia wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:16 pm
PassMeBy wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:42 am
You're insane.
IWMFLY - 250,397,713
R&RAN - 161,384,464
DRC - 81,080,531
Makes sense.

??? SO who is insane here?
I don't know, but IWMFLY has approx. 90 million more streams than RARAN.
Ace of Bass
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Ace of Bass »

IWMFLY - 250,397,713
R&RAN - 161,384,464
DRC - 81,080,531
Wow.
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

"Does it matter? I still wrote the chorus for each one" - Paul (Beach Boys be damned)

Oh yes, the question.....toughie.....I would have to go with RARAN by a slight margin, only because the chorus is so universally known, I think overall by more people. Even if people hate Kiss, or hate rock, wherever they are, there's a good chance they know that chorus. But hey, most bands have not one single classic song, let alone more than one.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

IWMFLY - 250,397,713
R&RAN - 161,384,464
I think these numbers say a lot in this day and age. If we’re looking at a casual fan seeking out a KISS song then clearly they are going for IWMFLY more often.

And since this was posted just 2 days ago IWMFLY has gone up almost 500k, RARAN a bit over 300k.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Spotify and YouTube both say IWMFLY is #1 and it was by far the higher charting song back in the day. I wish we could find data on how many times each song gets played today on radio worldwide. That would pretty much settle it.
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

redinthesky wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:53 pm "Does it matter? I still wrote the chorus for each one" - Paul (Beach Boys be damned)

Oh yes, the question.....toughie.....I would have to go with RARAN by a slight margin, only because the chorus is so universally known, I think overall by more people. Even if people hate Kiss, or hate rock, wherever they are, there's a good chance they know that chorus. But hey, most bands have not one single classic song, let alone more than one.
Definitely “Rock & Roll All Nite” is the most well-known in the US & also the most ‘catchy’ song in their catalog. I recall a little boy singing the chorus before blowing out his candles at his birthday party & long-long after the fact (circa 2000’s). Basically, he shouldn’t have known the song or who KISS is …plus far too young; nonetheless, he picked it up from somewhere. Perhaps from going with his Dad to NHL or NBA games.

And I’m not sure looking at play counts on the internet properly reflects ‘well-known’ status either; as if I never heard the song ever again in my life …I wouldn’t shed any tears over it. I’ve heard it all I really need to. Basically, I’ll always skip-out listening to it, but would be more inclined to listen to IWMFY nowadays, again. I like RARAN, simply heard way too much over the years (& since 1975).

:scratch:
Last edited by jkiss on Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forevertj

Post by Forevertj »

IT has to be "I Finally found My Way".
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

jkiss wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:26 pm I’m not sure looking at play counts on the internet properly reflects ‘well-known’ status either
Actually, I think it’s a very good indicator. Of all the songs in the KISS Katalog, IWMFLY is the one the world is seeking out most online. Whether it be casuals or diehards (who more than likely own all the songs a few times on CD, vinyl etc. so therefore probably make up only 10% of all Spotify & YT play counts) that’s the KISS song that is played more than any other on planet Earth. If you can think of a better way to gauge a songs popularity I’m all ears. 8)
ace_frehley
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ace_frehley »

I Was Made For Loving You when it comes to spotify streams and such.
I have a picture of the original Dressed To Kill on my computer. I use this computer for school alot, and when people come up to me and say "isnt that Kiss?" when they see the picture. They also comment with "Dont they play Rock and Roll All Nite or something?".
Although, everytime I listen to the radio and a Kiss song comes on, its always Rock and Roll All Nite, its very rare to me when IWMFLY comes on :lol:
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

ace_frehley wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:30 pm I Was Made For Loving You when it comes to spotify streams and such.
I have a picture of the original Dressed To Kill on my computer. I use this computer for school alot, and when people come up to me and say "isnt that Kiss?" when they see the picture. They also comment with "Dont they play Rock and Roll All Nite or something?".
Although, everytime I listen to the radio and a Kiss song comes on, its always Rock and Roll All Nite, its very rare to me when IWMFLY comes on :lol:
What country do you live in?
ace_frehley
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ace_frehley »

Mr Slow wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:37 pm
ace_frehley wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:30 pm I Was Made For Loving You when it comes to spotify streams and such.
The United States
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Mr Slow wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:07 pm
jkiss wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:26 pm I’m not sure looking at play counts on the internet properly reflects ‘well-known’ status either
Actually, I think it’s a very good indicator. Of all the songs in the KISS Katalog, IWMFLY is the one the world is seeking out most online. Whether it be casuals or diehards (who more than likely own all the songs a few times on CD, vinyl etc. so therefore probably make up only 10% of all Spotify & YT play counts) that’s the KISS song that is played more than any other on planet Earth. If you can think of a better way to gauge a songs popularity I’m all ears. 8)
Maybe its a good enough indicator; however, 'best-known' doesn't always equate to 'currently the most popular'. There almost should be a poll who is totally sick of hearing RARAN & would rather listen to IWMFLY instead?

:)

I don't disagree that IWMFLY is their most successful single on an international scale; although, there are quite a few more people in one US state than there are in entire countries. The State of California has more people than all of Canada (last time I checked), for example.

:scratch:
Last edited by jkiss on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

ace_frehley wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:41 pm
Mr Slow wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:37 pm
The United States
If you’ve had a look through this discussion you’ll see that it seems RARAN is the most well known in the US but Overall worldwide IWMFLY is largely accepted as the most well known, which is what the original question was.