What is the most known KISS song worldwide?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.

Most known KISS song

I WAS MADE FOR LOVING YOU
61%
ROCK AND ROLL ALL NITE
39%

Total votes: 205

ace_frehley
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: What is the most known KISS song worldwide?

Post by ace_frehley »

Mr Slow wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:45 pm
ace_frehley wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:41 pm
Mr Slow wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:37 pm
ace_frehley wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:30 pm I Was Made For Loving You when it comes to spotify streams and such.
I have a picture of the original Dressed To Kill on my computer. I use this computer for school alot, and when people come up to me and say "isnt that Kiss?" when they see the picture. They also comment with "Dont they play Rock and Roll All Nite or something?".
Although, everytime I listen to the radio and a Kiss song comes on, its always Rock and Roll All Nite, its very rare to me when IWMFLY comes on :lol:
What country do you live in?
The United States
If you’ve had a look through this discussion you’ll see that it seems RARAN is the most well known in the US but Overall worldwide IWMFLY is largely accepted as the most well known, which is what the original question was.
I can see that :lol:
To me, I thought RARAN was, but its alright if im wrong
Marty Scurll
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Marty Scurll »

Here's some things to consider: Whenever Kiss are on a major network television program ala American Idol,etc... 9/10 times their gonna perform RARAN or DRC. Also could they getaway with not performing RARAN in concert these days? Doubtful. IWMFLY? Probably.
Ace Fury
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Ace Fury »

Charisma

;)
jkiss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by jkiss »

Marty Scurll wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:03 pm Here's some things to consider: Whenever Kiss are on a major network television program ala American Idol,etc... 9/10 times their gonna perform RARAN or DRC. Also could they getaway with not performing RARAN in concert these days? Doubtful. IWMFLY? Probably.
I never liked IWMFLY live much; especially, compared the "DYNASTY" version. And just the same, the 12-inch/extended was terrible compared to actual album version (they should brought in someone known/experienced to do the extended mix - like Tom Moulton). A song that I find that isn't usually replicated well live by KISS & kind of always sounds like a train-wreck. I'd say line-ups featuring Bruce pulled it off best.

:scratch:
Last edited by jkiss on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Slow
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Mr Slow »

Marty Scurll wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:03 pm Here's some things to consider: Whenever Kiss are on a major network television program ala American Idol,etc... 9/10 times their gonna perform RARAN or DRC. Also could they getaway with not performing RARAN in concert these days? Doubtful. IWMFLY? Probably.
A few things on that:
* RARAN is an anthem, therefore a better choice to play on a TV program.
* Performing RARAN is a damn sight easier to play than IWMFLY, especially with Paul’s vocal issues of the last 10 years. Even if it’s a pre-recorded track it’s far more convincing to do RARAN.
* Most of those TV appearances are American TV so they’ll play what Americans will know most; RARAN.
*As for what’s played live, again RARAN is an anthem. And IWMFLY is harder to do. They haven’t done it every tour prior to this one because of Paul’s vocals.
Marty Scurll
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Marty Scurll »

But still I don't hear that much disappointment among fans when they don't perform IWMFLY. RARAN most people would likely be pissed about.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Marty Scurll wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:28 pm But still I don't hear that much disappointment among fans when they don't perform IWMFLY. RARAN most people would likely be pissed about.
But we’re talking about what’s more known worldwide, not what is the most essential live song. DRC would also be considered an essential live tune but wouldn’t be close to IWMFLY in terms of worldwide familiarity.
Marty Scurll
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Marty Scurll »

Yeah, if I traveled to Australia or Japan would I hear IWMFLY on the radio more than RARAN? I never hear it in the states. Always RARAN as if it's the only song they ever recorded.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Marty Scurll wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:36 pm Yeah, if I traveled to Australia or Japan would I hear IWMFLY on the radio more than RARAN? I never hear it in the states. Always RARAN as if it's the only song they ever recorded.
In Australia I would suggest IWMFLY would be played twice as much as RARAN on radio. I’ve only lived in two states in Australia so I can’t speak for the rest of the nation but for those two it would definitely be IWMFLY. No idea about Japan though.

I do think the Spotify & YouTube numbers are pretty conclusive. The beauty of those two platforms is you can listen to as many random songs as you like for free. And judging by the numbers, most people are playing IWMFLY ahead of RARAN.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Marty Scurll wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:36 pm Yeah, if I traveled to Australia or Japan would I hear IWMFLY on the radio more than RARAN? I never hear it in the states. Always RARAN as if it's the only song they ever recorded.
And another point of view is this; We shouldn’t forget the impact IWMFLY had when it first came out. For the US it was the song that saw KISS sell out. Fans hated the change in style and the softening of KISSTORY sound. But for much of the rest of the world it was the song that broke them. So the overall perspective is completely different.
Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

Mr Slow wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:37 pmWhat country do you live in?
If you were to ask this question to everyone who voted RARAN, I bet most would say they were born in the States and / or never traveled or lived abroad.

:wink: 8)
Marty Scurll
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Marty Scurll »

jkiss wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:16 pm
I never liked IWMFLY live much; especially, compared the "DYNASTY" version. And just the same, the 12-inch/extended was terrible compared to actual album version (they should brought in someone known/experienced to do the extended mix - like Tom Moulton). A song that I find that isn't usually replicated well live by KISS & kind of always sounds like a train-wreck. I'd say line-ups featuring Bruce pulled it off best.

I never had a problem with IWMFLY myself,even when it was first released and the other hard rock fans were pissing all over it. But I agree that the Bruce line up performed it best live
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

Definitely true. So you could say that RARAN is their most well known song in that sense.
But generally speaking, if you should ask someone on any street in the world to sing a Kiss song, I would say they would probably start singing IWMFLY more times than RARAN.
Possibly with just a slight margin, such as 60%-40%.

(If the persons asked, could sing ANY Kiss tune, of course.)
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

VanRockCity
Banned
Banned

Post by VanRockCity »

All this talk about the value of the "hit" is over-valued. "Hits" can come and go, often quickly without much fanfare. But classics that were never hits like like RARAN endure, they build their stature more organically through the years. RARAN is so ubiquitous and overplayed that I'm surprised anyone would order it on Spotify or the like. I weight RARAN dominance in North America as greater and more enduring than the fleeting "hit" world-wide.

Rock and Roll All Nite is Kiss' most well known song, even if you are talking about world-wide.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

VanRockCity wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:52 am All this talk about the value of the "hit" is over-valued. "Hits" can come and go, often quickly without much fanfare. But classics that were never hits like like RARAN endure, they build their stature more organically through the years. RARAN is so ubiquitous and overplayed that I'm surprised anyone would order it on Spotify or the like. I weight RARAN dominance in North America as greater and more enduring than the fleeting "hit" world-wide.

Rock and Roll All Nite is Kiss' most well known song, even if you are talking about world-wide.
Denial isn’t just a river in Egypt! :lol:
The numbers don’t lie. Spotify & YouTube both suggest IWMFLY is way out in front. They are great indicators in today’s modern world of the popularity of a single or an artist. It’s not the be all and end all, but it’s really the best indicator there is. IWMFLY dominates RARAN in both platforms. We’re not just talking about a 40 year old hit that went away.

Again you are being USA-centric by suggesting RARAN is overplayed, ignoring the fact that in places like Europe & Australia (just for starters) it’s IWMFLY that is overplayed. For a comparison, Stairway To Heaven is pushing half a billion. If you want to suggest that song isn’t overplayed then I don’t know what to tell you.

Give it up. As much as you, for some unknown reason, can’t accept that IWMFLY is the more well known song, it’s a fact. Maybe it annoys you that the disco hit is the bigger song. You are probably also annoyed that the 2 highest charting songs in the US are both ballads.
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Marty Scurll wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:28 pm
I never liked IWMFLY live much; especially, compared to the "DYNASTY" version. And just the same, the 12-inch/extended was terrible compared to actual album version (they should brought in someone known/experienced to do the extended mix - like Tom Moulton). A song that I find that isn't usually replicated well live by KISS & kind of always sounds like a train-wreck. I'd say line-ups featuring Bruce pulled it off best.

I never had a problem with IWMFLY myself,even when it was first released and the other hard rock fans were pissing all over it. But I agree that the Bruce line up performed it best live
The real problem I had with it was that it was plain self-destructive. Disco & homophobia went hand n' hand in my neck of the woods. A real 'Disco Inferno' & not one that was pleasant to hear about. I almost think I got PTSD from it. My nightlife was often a Disco one at the time; although, I'm female ...could get away with it & also without anyone really knowing at school (aside from my close girlfriends). So, it wasn't like I was totally against Disco, but KISS' new direction decimated my little circle of KISS fans. And of which, all the guys instantly became 'former fans'.

:(
Last edited by jkiss on Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
69th_B1izard

Post by 69th_B1izard »

Rock and Roll All Nite is the most known song IMO. The problem is most people are just sick of it.
CStomp1

Post by CStomp1 »

Mr Slow wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:49 am
VanRockCity wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:52 am All this talk about the value of the "hit" is over-valued. "Hits" can come and go, often quickly without much fanfare. But classics that were never hits like like RARAN endure, they build their stature more organically through the years. RARAN is so ubiquitous and overplayed that I'm surprised anyone would order it on Spotify or the like. I weight RARAN dominance in North America as greater and more enduring than the fleeting "hit" world-wide.

The numbers don’t lie. Spotify & YouTube both suggest IWMFLY is way out in front. They are great indicators in today’s modern world of the popularity of a single or an artist. It’s not the be all and end all, but it’s really the best indicator there is. IWMFLY dominates RARAN in both platforms. We’re not just talking about a 40 year old hit that went away.

Again you are being USA-centric by suggesting RARAN is overplayed, ignoring the fact that in places like Europe & Australia (just for starters) it’s IWMFLY that is overplayed. For a comparison, Stairway To Heaven is pushing half a billion. If you want to suggest that song isn’t overplayed then I don’t know what to tell you.

Give it up. As much as you, for some unknown reason, can’t accept that IWMFLY is the more well known song, it’s a fact. Maybe it annoys you that the disco hit is the bigger song. You are probably also annoyed that the 2 highest charting songs in the US are both ballads.

Nibbs has taught you well, Daniel-san! :D
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

69th_B1izard wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:53 am Rock and Roll All Nite is the most known song IMO. The problem is most people are just sick of it.
Even though all the stats disagree with you? Ok.
It seems Thunderous Lay was right. Americans can’t see past their own country. It’s a big world out there folks!
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

CStomp1 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:04 am

Nibbs has taught you well, Daniel-san! :D
In another topic VanRockCity basically told me how clueless I was for even suggesting IWMFLY was more well known. Even now he argues when all the stats people have put forward show him him he’s incorrect.
69th_B1izard

Post by 69th_B1izard »

Mr Slow wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:47 pm
69th_B1izard wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:53 am Rock and Roll All Nite is the most known song IMO. The problem is most people are just sick of it.
It seems Thunderous Lay was right. Americans can’t see past their own country. It’s a big world out there folks!
Even KISS does not agree with the stats since they continue to play Rock and Roll All Nite on most every TV performance and not IWMFLY. They must not know their audience I guess.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

69th_B1izard wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:44 pm
Mr Slow wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:47 pm
Even KISS does not agree with the stats since they continue to play Rock and Roll All Nite on most every TV performance and not IWMFLY. They must not know their audience I guess.
Usually it’s a US Television audience.
RARAN is easier.
RARAN is an anthem.
KISSFACE

Post by KISSFACE »

Favor the one that inspires a video like this:

Marty Scurll
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Marty Scurll »

jkiss wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:42 am
Marty Scurll wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:28 pm
I never liked IWMFLY live much; especially, compared to the "DYNASTY" version. And just the same, the 12-inch/extended was terrible compared to actual album version (they should brought in someone known/experienced to do the extended mix - like Tom Moulton). A song that I find that isn't usually replicated well live by KISS & kind of always sounds like a train-wreck. I'd say line-ups featuring Bruce pulled it off best.

The real problem I had with it was that it was plain self-destructive. Disco & homophobia went hand n' hand in my neck of the woods. A real 'Disco Inferno' & not one that was pleasant to hear about. I almost think I got PTSD from it. My nightlife was often a Disco one at the time; although, I'm female ...could get away with it & also without anyone really knowing at school (aside from my close girlfriends). So, it wasn't like I was totally against Disco, but KISS' new direction decimated my little circle of KISS fans. And of which, all the guys instantly became 'former fans'.

:(

Yeah,I could no longer talk to former Kiss fans about Kiss either. They would always laugh and ask why I was still into them? Fortunately I was also into AC/DC,VH and Priest among others so I was still cool,lol!
Metalion_SOS
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Metalion_SOS »

Last.fm doesn't lie:
stats.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doose

Post by Doose »

YouTube is a great barometer:

IWMFLY - 61 million views
Forever - 57 million views
Heaven's On Fire - 50 million views

I wonder if they had ever done an "official" video for BETH if it would be up there too.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

As an aside, since I started this thread IWMFLY has had 1.5 million Spotify listens, RARAN has had almost 1 million. That’s a lot of listens in just a few days. 8)
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

I would be willing to bet I Was Made For Lovin' You is the most well known even in the US.

Not that everyone who knows it would necessarily be able to tell you who it is...but still.
shandi777

Post by shandi777 »

Doose wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:21 pm YouTube is a great barometer:

IWMFLY - 61 million views
Forever - 57 million views
Heaven's On Fire - 50 million views

I wonder if they had ever done an "official" video for BETH if it would be up there too.
Come on Doose….you didn't mention that Forever was a "Plastic" YouTube video. :D
NYRockCity
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by NYRockCity »

In the Suds wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:18 pm I would be willing to bet I Was Made For Lovin' You is the most well known even in the US.

Not that everyone who knows it would necessarily be able to tell you who it is...but still.
I think really depends on age group in the USA. IWMFLY is rarely played at sporting events and on the radio but RARAN is played often enough. Same with in commercials.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

NYRockCity wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:23 pm
In the Suds wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:18 pm I would be willing to bet I Was Made For Lovin' You is the most well known even in the US.

I think really depends on age group in the USA. IWMFLY is rarely played at sporting events and on the radio but RARAN is played often enough. Same with in commercials.
I guess it also depends on what you consider "knowing" a song. Blitzkrieg Bop is played at all sorts of things but that doesn't mean people know what the hell it is.
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

Four pages! I'm surprised.

I was listening to Kiss throughout my childhood. And yet, IWMFLY was the only song my dad clearly recognized the other day, when I played to him a few of their most well-known ones. Back then, I didn't have IWMFLY in any particularly heavy rotation, so that doesn't explain it. Meaning he's been hearing it elsewhere during the decades since I moved out.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

gene therapist wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:19 pm Four pages! I'm surprised.

I was listening to Kiss throughout my childhood. And yet, IWMFLY was the only song my dad clearly recognized the other day, when I played to him a few of their most well-known ones. Back then, I didn't have IWMFLY in any particularly heavy rotation, so that doesn't explain it. Meaning he's been hearing it elsewhere during the decades since I moved out.
I’m actually surprised it’s only 60/40. I think there are a lot of US fans here that assume because RARAN is the most known song there that it’s the case with the rest of the world.

I’d love to get our Admins take on this when he’s feeling up to it. He’s someone that has experienced both sides of the fence (UK and US) but also he has done extensive research on charts and other stats for this website. I think he’d be able to offer some valuable insight.
VanRockCity
Banned
Banned

Post by VanRockCity »

You're wrong dude. Sorry it upsets you so much.
Tito

Post by Tito »

Post truth era in full swing.
VanRockCity
Banned
Banned

Post by VanRockCity »

Tito wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:54 am Post truth era in full swing.
Maybe you should read the perfectly logical explanation for the actual truth. The disco song had a broad but shallow impact. RARAN had a longer period where it was ingrained much more deeply. Probably half the people world-wide that bought the disco song forgot all about it two weeks later, whereas RARAN is a classic and a bit of a pop culture phenomena. There's your truth.
Tito

Post by Tito »

VanRockCity wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:01 am
Maybe you should read the perfectly logical explanation for the actual truth. The disco song had a broad but shallow impact. RARAN had a longer period where it was ingrained much more deeply. Probably half the people world-wide that bought the disco song forgot all about it two weeks later, whereas RARAN is a classic and a bit of a pop culture phenomena. There's your truth.
That's just it; they didn't forget about it two weeks later. Maybe you should read several people from different countries on this very thread telling you so, from experience. You are only stating your opinion.
VanRockCity
Banned
Banned

Post by VanRockCity »

Tito wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:25 am
That's just it; they didn't forget about it two weeks later. Maybe you should read several people from different countries on this very thread telling you so, from experience. You are only stating your opinion.
I've read and considered all the information and comments in this thread. The handful of comments from European Kiss fans and Spotify lists isn't enough for the disco song. And the truth remains Rock and Roll All Nite is the most known Kiss song worldwide. Maybe you should open your mind to the actual reality.
Tito

Post by Tito »

Sigh.
VanRockCity
Banned
Banned

Post by VanRockCity »

Tito wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:30 amSigh.
Right back at ya champ.
Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

VanRockCity
Banned
Banned

Post by VanRockCity »

Thunderous_Lay wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:32 am Image
Heh, hardly. All about the science in this household.
KrazySwede

Post by KrazySwede »

Four pages so far......
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

KrazySwede wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:41 am Four pages so far......
Yeah. I really don't know why this is so hard. Maybe some are in denial just because IWMFLY is a "disco song" (which I don't think is a very accurate descriprion of it anyway)?
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

gene therapist wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:25 am
KrazySwede wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:41 am Four pages so far......
Yeah. I really don't know why this is so hard. Maybe some are in denial just because IWMFLY is a "disco song" (which I don't think is a very accurate descriprion of it anyway)?
I think that’s a big part of it and another aspect is that some fans are simply unaware how iconic a song IWMFLY is outside the US. Not just a hit, not a flash in the pan, an iconic and timeless classic.
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

Mr Slow wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:32 am I think that’s a big part of it and another aspect is that some fans are simply unaware how iconic a song IWMFLY is outside the US. Not just a hit, not a flash in the pan, an iconic and timeless classic.
I think it's too heavy to be labeled a disco song. It's essentially a rock song with obvious disco influences. Too guitar-driven to quality as disco to me. And Ace's solo sounds very Kiss, not disco at all.
FanbAce1978
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by FanbAce1978 »

Worldwide definitely IWMFLU.
RARAN is not even 2nd or 3rd in many parts of the world (Europe, UK, Australia...).
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

VanRockCity wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:29 am
Tito wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:25 am
I've read and considered all the information and comments in this thread. The handful of comments from European Kiss fans and Spotify lists isn't enough for the disco song. And the truth remains Rock and Roll All Nite is the most known Kiss song worldwide. Maybe you should open your mind to the actual reality.
How do you measure that? None of the figures point towards RARAN? But maybe you have an electoral college that will give the vote to RARAN despite the fact that IWMFLY won the popular vote clearly?
Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

jannep17 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:54 amHow do you measure that? None of the figures point towards RARAN? But maybe you have an electoral college that will give the vote to RARAN despite the fact that IWMFLY won the popular vote clearly?
Subtle.

Like, real smooth, mate.