Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
TheSpoiler
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by TheSpoiler »

Los Angeles 1983 Creatures of the Night Bootleg, Universal Amphitheater.

Some staggering playing from VV here, especially during his solo spot (mindless noise my ass).

Whatever people may say about him, this guy could pick a banjo.

Here it is:

UnholyDemon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Re: Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments

Post by UnholyDemon »

His self imposed hiatus of 20+ years!!!
Rip Rokken
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Rip Rokken »

Thank you for another new VINNIE VINCENT thread. You’re helping do this board a great service.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

Finest moments:

Creatures of the Night, Lick It Up and Invasion. With Revenge receiving a Special Mention.
EggFlip
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by EggFlip »

Vinnie asking his fans on social media to keep posting new threads about him here
70skid
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by 70skid »

VV’s greatest moment was when he cranked into COTN for the first time on tour in 1982. He was hungry and had the chops and balls to go make it.....despite all the odds.
Rip Rokken
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Rip Rokken »

EggFlip wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:28 pm Vinnie asking his fans on social media to keep posting new threads about him here

No, y’all keep doing that on your own. :lol:
TheSphinx
Banned

Post by TheSphinx »

Vinnie Saving KISS

That is Vinnie's finest moment.

Love this VH1 article from 2015. Although, he should have been named the #1 most under-rated hair metal guitarist, they did put him at #2.

#2 Vinnie Vincent – Kiss/Vinnie Vincent Invasion

Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. No two ways about it.

As Kiss’s record sales and concert attendance dwindled in the early ’80s, former Vincent John Cusano started as a session player on the 1982 Creatures of the Nightalbum before strapping on the requisite platform boots and painting his face to become the “Ankh Warrior” as departing guitar lord Ace Frehley’s official replacement.

The following year, Kiss famously ditched their makeup, emboldened not just by Vinnie’s daredevil guitar playing, but also by his absolutely top-tier skills as a songwriter. Just as Kiss has adapted to late-’70s disco with “I Was Made for Loving You,” Vinnie Vincent multiple talents would mega-successfully launch the band into the hair metal ’80s.

Vinnie co-wrote eight of the ten songs on 1983’s transitional smash Lick It Up, including the instant-classic title track, which remains one of Kiss’s true signature anthems, and the full-blown rump-stomper “All Hell’s Breakin’ Loose.”

Alas, Vinnie’s Kiss tenure proved short-lived. Business tensions and some onstage antics such as an unexpected, off-the-wall guitar solo at a March 1984 Quebec gig at the end of the Lick It Up tour prompted Kiss to fire Vinnie immediately. He went on to form the Vinnie Vincent Invasion, which put out two albums that have become fan favorites: a self-titled debut in 1986, and All Systems Go, two years later.

In the years since, Vinnie Vincent has become a mysterious figure and even the object of cult devotion. Rolling Stone even ran a 2014 article titled “The Long Kiss Goodbye: The Search for Vinnie Vincent.”

Vinnie has certainly earned every bit of this admiration and fascination.

The only thing I would take issue with is Vinnie wasn't fired. Vinnie went AWOL. KISS was begging him to return. Gene even got Diana Ross to call him. Vinnie refused to come back.
PterCriss
Banned

Post by PterCriss »

TheSphinx wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:54 pm Vinnie Saving KISS

That is Vinnie's finest moment.

Love this VH1 article from 2015. Although, he should have been named the #1 most under-rated hair metal guitarist, they did put him at #2.

#2 Vinnie Vincent – Kiss/Vinnie Vincent Invasion

Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. No two ways about it.

As Kiss’s record sales and concert attendance dwindled in the early ’80s, former Vincent John Cusano started as a session player on the 1982 Creatures of the Nightalbum before strapping on the requisite platform boots and painting his face to become the “Ankh Warrior” as departing guitar lord Ace Frehley’s official replacement.

The following year, Kiss famously ditched their makeup, emboldened not just by Vinnie’s daredevil guitar playing, but also by his absolutely top-tier skills as a songwriter. Just as Kiss has adapted to late-’70s disco with “I Was Made for Loving You,” Vinnie Vincent multiple talents would mega-successfully launch the band into the hair metal ’80s.

Vinnie co-wrote eight of the ten songs on 1983’s transitional smash Lick It Up, including the instant-classic title track, which remains one of Kiss’s true signature anthems, and the full-blown rump-stomper “All Hell’s Breakin’ Loose.”

Alas, Vinnie’s Kiss tenure proved short-lived. Business tensions and some onstage antics such as an unexpected, off-the-wall guitar solo at a March 1984 Quebec gig at the end of the Lick It Up tour prompted Kiss to fire Vinnie immediately. He went on to form the Vinnie Vincent Invasion, which put out two albums that have become fan favorites: a self-titled debut in 1986, and All Systems Go, two years later.

In the years since, Vinnie Vincent has become a mysterious figure and even the object of cult devotion. Rolling Stone even ran a 2014 article titled “The Long Kiss Goodbye: The Search for Vinnie Vincent.”

Vinnie has certainly earned every bit of this admiration and fascination.

The only thing I would take issue with is Vinnie wasn't fired. Vinnie went AWOL. KISS was begging him to return. Gene even got Diana Ross to call him. Vinnie refused to come back.
Vinnie did very little outside of Kiss that's remembered. That should tell you everything.

Plus Vinnie's output of material in the past 25 + years also should tell you everything.
trip730
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by trip730 »

No doubt his songwriting ability.All of his tracks on COTN and LIU are just outstanding, All of his Invasion and ASG tracks,fantastic ( just needed different singers for those albums) and what about songs like Gypsy and Tears that never made it to any of his own releases.

For all his demons,and questionable integrity, he certainly can write great music.
Rip Rokken
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Rip Rokken »

TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:36 pm Los Angeles 1983 Creatures of the Night Bootleg, Universal Amphitheater.

Some staggering playing from VV here, especially during his solo spot (mindless noise my ass).

Whatever people may say about him, this guy could pick a banjo.

Here it is:

That was freaking incredible. Thank you!
star_paul12

Post by star_paul12 »

In my opinion Vinnie doesn’t have very many, if any, finest moments. In kiss or out. His guitar playing is just not to my liking. I’ve never gotten the whole “shred” thing. It’s just pollution to the ears in my opinion. He was, at best, a c list musician outside of kiss at his peak. Every ounce of allegiance to or fascination with Vinnie has came from a tiny spec of only the most bizarre and niche kiss fan. He had some influence on 3 or so kiss records. One of which was revenge—an album strongly revered within kiss circles (in overstated and irrational ways)—but not really anywhere else. Vinnie is a very tiny blip on both the kiss and rock and roll history map. Anyone who thinks otherwise has simply been drinking the koolaid for far too long, and in far too strong a dose.
metaldad
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by metaldad »

Unholy
Den Dennis

Post by Den Dennis »

Saving himself... oh wait.
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

His work on COTN, LIU, Invasion and Revenge. I can't stand the vocals on ASG so that's out for me. And special mention to the solo on "Calling Dr. Love" in Rio. 8)

That's my serious answer. Back to your regularly programmed bullshit, carry on...
Rip Rokken wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:18 pm Thank you for another new VINNIE VINCENT thread. You’re helping do this board a great service.
Why not just answer the question of the topic at hand instead of being a nuisance?
So Cruel

Post by So Cruel »

Vinnie s finest moment? Not much to choose from musically aside from a few decent co-writes but by the sound of it he makes a real tasty salad.
Freeze
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Freeze »

The whole LIU record. In retrospect I guess we can thank Gene And Paul for keeping his soloing under control. On that record they are actually pretty listenable! :)
lespaul
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by lespaul »

saint & sinner
a million to one
all hell `s breaking loose
steve

Post by steve »

Tito wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:14 pmAnd special mention to the solo on "Calling Dr. Love" in Rio. 8)
That version is the first time that song did anything for me. Mr. Cusano gives it a much needed kick.
Mother Mercury
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Mother Mercury »

He certainly had his moments of genius, no doubt about it. Extreme OTT playing style, which was great for the live situation, but perhaps not so much for studio work.
MJJ just about reigned him in enough to appeal to the masses on Lick It Up (which still has Vinnieisms all over it), but I think after Kiss, he really needed another good producer to keep a lid on it.

Not For The Innocent - some of his best riffs, and a gift to Gene.
No Substitute - his most commercial song? Very catchy, nice melodic solo (well, some of it...), could have been a big hit for somebody.
EggFlip
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by EggFlip »

His best song ashes to ashes with the extended solo
Stanley! You look so cute

Post by Stanley! You look so cute »

Rip Rokken
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Rip Rokken »

Tito wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:14 pm Why not just answer the question of the topic at hand instead of being a nuisance?
Too many finest moments for me to mention if I went song by song. Album-wise, I agree with you though I love ASG. And definitely the Birthday Bash where he put all the doubts about his abilities to shame.
woodworm001

Post by woodworm001 »

Has to be related to his songwriting. CotN, LIU and Revenge all have great VV tracks - he is a talented song writer.

The ear bleeding solo in the original post (30 minutes in) shows everything wrong with his playing style for KISS. It's just noise.
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

Rip Rokken wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:21 am And definitely the Birthday Bash where he put all the doubts about his abilities to shame.
All the doubts? He hasn't in fact done anything of the sort. You see, people would actually need to see and hear it first.
Rip Rokken
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Rip Rokken »

Tito wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:54 am
Rip Rokken wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:21 am And definitely the Birthday Bash where he put all the doubts about his abilities to shame.
All the doubts? He hasn't in fact done anything of the sort. You see, people would actually need to see and hear it first.
Agreed... and we did. Then we learned what the Apostles went through, lol. But it’s well worth it.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

Yeah, you wrote a bunch of made up shit...just like the apostles.
Thunderous_Lay

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

This thread is going places, of that I have no doubt...
Ikons

Post by Ikons »

Freeze wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:09 am The whole LIU record. In retrospect I guess we can thank Gene And Paul for keeping his soloing under control. On that record they are actually pretty listenable! :)
They're not very memorable, though. At least to me. When I think of Lick It Up the solos don't even cross my mind.
redfield
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by redfield »

TheSphinx wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:54 pm

Huh ? now THIS is new (to me) :shock: care to elaborate ?
Tito
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Tito »

redfield wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:16 am
TheSphinx wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:54 pm

Huh ? now THIS is new (to me) :shock: care to elaborate ?
Oh my. It never ends.
Frehley's Vomit

Post by Frehley's Vomit »

Last edited by Frehley's Vomit on Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
NashvilleRock.net
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by NashvilleRock.net »

The song 'Animal'. It absolutely rules
bassmansteiny

Post by bassmansteiny »

Rip Rokken wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:02 am
Agreed... and we did. Then we learned what the Apostles went through, lol. But it’s well worth it.
With all due respect, not even close to what the Apostles went through. 🙂
bassmansteiny

Post by bassmansteiny »

I agree Tito. While I don't get involved with the bashing or praising part of VV, I agree, except for a select few, this will never be put to rest until he demonstrates to the greater KISS community if he still has it. I honestly have no idea if the man does or doesn't, all I have to go by is previous recent appearances. I really wish he would release something for the rest of the KISS Army. Unfortunately some of us can't afford or justify a $300 ticket. 😕
Rip Rokken
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Rip Rokken »

bassmansteiny wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:09 am
In message board world, similar, lol. Rejected, crucified, beheaded, etc. just for having good news, lol. But of course not physically or mentally the same. It was just a silly metaphor.

It would be interesting to see a thread asking which KISS members are going to Heaven vs. Hell, though. I know Vinnie is a Christian, so no doubt he’s going to Heaven. I’m not sure about the other guys, or any “fans” who keep griping about ancient history (Matthew 6:15).
nfarend

Post by nfarend »

Since religion was brought in as a subject; as an atheist I don't have to worry about either heaven or hell. That said, I have serious doubts if there will be a place for VV in this so called heaven.
JohnBergless

Post by JohnBergless »

Ironic song isn't it?
Rip Rokken
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Rip Rokken »

nfarend wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:19 am Since religion was brought in as a subject; as an atheist I don't have to worry about either heaven or hell. That said, I have serious doubts if there will be a place for VV in this so called heaven.
Sent you a PM.
misterhand80

Post by misterhand80 »

Vinnie Vincent's Finest Moments:

- That Time Of Year
- Ashes To Ashes
- Animal
- Back On The Streets
KissCannibal

Post by KissCannibal »

Rip Rokken wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:19 am
bassmansteiny wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:09 am
In message board world, similar, lol. Rejected, crucified, beheaded, etc. just for having good news, lol. But of course not physically or mentally the same. It was just a silly metaphor.

It would be interesting to see a thread asking which KISS members are going to Heaven vs. Hell, though. I know Vinnie is a Christian, so no doubt he’s going to Heaven. I’m not sure about the other guys, or any “fans” who keep griping about ancient history (Matthew 6:15).
loooooooooooooooooooooooool! :lol:
Rip Rokken
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Rip Rokken »

KissCannibal wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:32 am loooooooooooooooooooooooool! :lol:
:D
tmcfaddin
Banned

Post by tmcfaddin »

nfarend wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:19 am Since religion was brought in as a subject; as an atheist I don't have to worry about either heaven or hell. That said, I have serious doubts if there will be a place for VV in this so called heaven.
You still around or did lightning strike you?
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

The Apostles and KIϟϟ in the afterlife?! Wow ... just wow! This thread's certainly proving its ambitions with this recent philosophical bent.
redinthesky
A really important Kiss fan!
A really important Kiss fan!

Post by redinthesky »

JohnBergless wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:21 am Ironic song isn't it?
Awesome song actually. That band had a lot of catchy tunes.
Spoonful
Banned

Post by Spoonful »

I maintain that the Vincent/Carr lineup is second only to the original lineup. I loved their makeup designs as well. Paul is silly to dismiss them after the fact.
Rip Rokken
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Rip Rokken »

Bruce wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:06 am The Apostles and KIϟϟ in the afterlife?! Wow ... just wow! This thread's certainly proving its ambitions with this recent philosophical bent.
Eternal destinations aside, I just don’t want KISS in charge of pricing VIP packages at the Pearly Gates.
Bruce
Prized Position Claimant
Prized Position Claimant

Post by Bruce »

On the other hand, hell for them might mean eternal meet & greets given free to the unwashed masses.
LoveGun77

Post by LoveGun77 »

Rip Rokken wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:21 am
Tito wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:14 pm Why not just answer the question of the topic at hand instead of being a nuisance?
Too many finest moments for me to mention if I went song by song. Album-wise, I agree with you though I love ASG. And definitely the Birthday Bash where he put all the doubts about his abilities to shame.
Ok,but here's what everyone wants to know: if that's the case...why is everything so secret and hidden? IF he can and does play that way...why not play a show or two? Why not film it so everyone can see? If he is indeed that good still,then it would only help him as far as future projects go. The fact is that all this talk goes on about how he "shreds" and will "shred" and then it's all carefully hidden from everyone. To shut up the "haters" and "naysayers" just come out and show everyone. It's actually very simple!
PterCriss
Banned

Post by PterCriss »

Rip Rokken wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:21 am
You know he played to a recorded tape at the birthday bash.