Rock & Brews

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
DJ Sterling Golden
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by DJ Sterling Golden »

nibbler1982 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:54 pm
Sounds like it was a good time.

As far as Millridge?

It’s on Sunday’s only and I’d make a reservation W-A-Y in advance if plan on attending.

You won’t be let down.
I look forward to it!

Btw if you ever find yourself in New England, the brunch spot we were at was 730 Tavern, Kitchen x Patio. Today they are sponsors of The Sterling Perspective podcast. :) Definitely check 'em out, best brunch in Cambridge, MA and I'd say that even if they weren't sponsors.
User avatar
nibbler1982
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 12393
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:12 pm
Location: Merrick, Strong Island

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by nibbler1982 »

DJ Sterling Golden wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:08 pm
nibbler1982 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:54 pm
Sounds like it was a good time.

As far as Millridge?

It’s on Sunday’s only and I’d make a reservation W-A-Y in advance if plan on attending.

You won’t be let down.
I look forward to it!

Btw if you ever find yourself in New England, the brunch spot we were at was 730 Tavern, Kitchen x Patio. Today they are sponsors of The Sterling Perspective podcast. :) Definitely check 'em out, best brunch in Cambridge, MA and I'd say that even if they weren't sponsors.
Brah...I live for food. Eating is by far my favorite way to spend time on this big blue marble.

Thanks for the heads up. Next time I’m in town I’ll definitely check it out.
User avatar
andreww1962
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1368
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:36 am

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by andreww1962 »

DJ Sterling Golden wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:53 am
andreww1962 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:50 am
Sorry, you want to fill me in on one of those successes? I honestly can't think of any, that is unless you are talking about pimping out the KISS logo?
One? You've got Gene Simmons Family Jewels. Seven seasons, one of the longer running reality shows in American TV history. Far better tenure than first foreseen.

Anyway there ya go.
I'll concede Family Jewels was semi successful, If having a hit show on the Discovery channel is what you call successful. But that show really isn't a business venture. It was successful simply because it featured the band and plot lines surrounding the band fairly regularly. I know for a fact, that was the only reason I tuned in, to get a glimpse into the behind the scenes world of KISS. The show was successful because KISS fans tuned in, not because it was good, but because they wanted to see KISS. I'd all but Guarantee that if the show did not show any footage of Gene in makeup, the show wouldn't have lasted a season.

But I'll give you that one, show me one more.
User avatar
andreww1962
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1368
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:36 am

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by andreww1962 »

battra wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:16 pm
nibbler1982 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:20 am Which of HIS business ventures is he an abject failure in?

When looking at the endeavors we’re privy to Gene hasn’t abjectly failed at anything. The only thing he did was collect money hand over fist.

If the people that gained Gene’s endorsement failed that’s no skin off of Gene’s apple.

It’s perfect business. How much smarter can you be?

If only I could be so fortunate.
Tongue Magazine

Simmons Records

There's nothing wrong with what Gene does.

But it doesn't make him a smart businessman.

That's all.

No more, no less.

If I could get that gig, you better believe I'd take it.

I'd slap my face on tampons if someone would pay for it. :)
The only reason Gene can do what he does is because of the band. I suppose you can give him some credit for that, but even that wouldn't have happened without the vision of Aucoin, Delany and Bogart. Gene is like a guy that won the lottery giving advice on how to get rich.
DJ Sterling Golden
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by DJ Sterling Golden »

andreww1962 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:00 am [
I'll concede Family Jewels was semi successful, If having a hit show on the Discovery channel is what you call successful. But that show really isn't a business venture. It was successful simply because it featured the band and plot lines surrounding the band fairly regularly. I know for a fact, that was the only reason I tuned in, to get a glimpse into the behind the scenes world of KISS. The show was successful because KISS fans tuned in, not because it was good, but because they wanted to see KISS. I'd all but Guarantee that if the show did not show any footage of Gene in makeup, the show wouldn't have lasted a season.

But I'll give you that one, show me one more.
The show was on A&E, and later had reruns on AXS. Today the near-complete series (a few shows are missing) is available on A&E on Demand.

Honestly he's successful at simply being Gene Simmons. Anyone who can attract businesses who willingly front all costs on a venture, simply cos of who he is, that's pretty successful imo. Sure more ventures fail than others but that's par for the course. Still, if you've got people and entities who want to pay for your services regardless of those failures? Man that's hard to call a fail overall.

But tbh the one thing in life I'd say Gene was more successful at than even portraying a Demon (I know this is a bit outside but bear with me)? Being a good son. I've said that about Gene forever. He was all about his mother.
User avatar
battra
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 19590
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:30 pm
Location: St. Louis
Contact:

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by battra »

nibbler1982 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:33 pm With Tongue he was just a figurehead like all the others. The mag was created by publishers Sterling/Macfadden and Allen Tuller. They just slapped Gene’s name on it. It was an attempt to capitalize on all the other men’s magazines of the time.

With Simmons Records it’s virtually the same. Gene would attach his name to a band and then shop them to real labels like RCA and BMG.

In both cases no risk and all reward.
So, he's a spokesman?

You consider spokes models to be businessmen?

When Ed McMahon did the spokesmodel segment on star search for some reason it wasn't covered by Forbes.
User avatar
nibbler1982
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 12393
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:12 pm
Location: Merrick, Strong Island

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by nibbler1982 »

battra wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:56 am
nibbler1982 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:33 pm With Tongue he was just a figurehead like all the others. The mag was created by publishers Sterling/Macfadden and Allen Tuller. They just slapped Gene’s name on it. It was an attempt to capitalize on all the other men’s magazines of the time.

With Simmons Records it’s virtually the same. Gene would attach his name to a band and then shop them to real labels like RCA and BMG.

In both cases no risk and all reward.
So, he's a spokesman?

You consider spokes models to be businessmen?

When Ed McMahon did the spokesmodel segment on star search for some reason it wasn't covered by Forbes.
He wasn’t making the numbers and doing the volume Gene does.
User avatar
SureKnowSomething
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4278
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:10 pm

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by SureKnowSomething »

metaldad wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:18 am
elleneff wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:03 am
metaldad wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:58 am
elleneff wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:36 am
Talktopete wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:56 pm
Nellcote71 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:59 pm Winning...



Yeah...let’s have a restaurant endorsed by a fat, blood spitting musician - people will flock to eat there...
That wasn't very nice. And the one near me does very well and the food is delicious. It's always busy. And.... whatever. Alice Cooper has a restaurant too. A republican, Christian who sings about necrophilia and gets his head cut off on a nightly basis, oh and his restaurant is filled with golf memorabilia. And it does good business too. I bet you eat at Toby Keith's restaurant.
Does he really? Good business?
Because Cooperstown in Phoenix closed it doors after 18 years in 2017.



https://eu.azcentral.com/story/entertai ... 791107001/

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_R ... izona.html
Well it Was good business for 18 years😀
WELL, I had a good read through reviews and articles Just out of curiousity. It did good solid business for about 10 years. The area was vibrant during that period. There was a LOT ofn investment, Fox at the time has set up an animation studio via Don Bluth so there was a big influx of artistic and film talent to the area. It struggled for the last 8 or so. Clearly had minimal investment and coasted into decline. A cross section of reviews said the menu was tired, the place dusty and dirty and just very very tired.
I know when it first opened Alice had Dave Mustaine and Randy Johnson as investors
Maybe after they were no longer involved Alice didn’t want to foot the bill alone and let it ride until closing
I visited Cooperstown at the beginning of 2017, I was in Phoenix over Xmas 2016 and NYE 2017. The restaurant was empty for lunch. Nothing appeared to be in disrepair and the food was good. It was just down the road from Talking Stick Arena. I was told it still did good business on game days. But, there really wasn't much else to drive business to that location. And, how far are people willing to drive for sportsbar food? Their signature dish was a giant hotdog. So, not exactly The Capital Grille.

I was disappointed to see it closed.
elleneff
Banned
Banned
Posts: 5859
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by elleneff »

Oh to that, he was most certainly a loving caring son.

and his 2 children are wonderful (IMO) as a family man, finally realising that is everything and Shannon is his rock who is responsible for giving him that stability.

Re the tenacity of Rock N Brews going forward, the principals association seems to have decreased (obviously the tour reduces availability) but that coupled with the closures , even if licencees, certainly suggests the viability of it as a brand. I mean what do they offer or do differently to TGIF or Hard Rock or any themed restaurant?

and as far as I can see, theres nothing that seperates it. Its as generic an eatery as one can get.

Let me put it this way, Theres a sort of Kiss brand on this resteraunt. Beyond a curiosity by Kiss fans , is there anything to sustain it?

While I certainly think downplaying the kiss links in terms of branded optics in the venues, so it can appeal across the board is a shrewd move. After all, not everyone likes Kiss and may not think the association is a place where they would like to go unless it stands on its own.

I mean, Cooperstown couldnt sustain in his own home town and was dying in its last 8 years.

Cabo hit a few issues but that was down to Sammy and his investors pulling the licence due to the way it was run. But Cabo, wisely is based on a lifestyle beach bum brand not just Sammy or Van Hagar.
DJ Sterling Golden
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by DJ Sterling Golden »

elleneff wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:14 am Oh to that, he was most certainly a loving caring son.

and his 2 children are wonderful (IMO) as a family man, finally realising that is everything and Shannon is his rock who is responsible for giving him that stability.
I'll say this, and Gene would co sign: the Demon is damn lucky to have someone like Shannon as his wife. She went along with Gene keeping up appearances for all those years, red carpets with paid models etc, until finally, after nearly 30 years. she had to step in. Put a ring on it, be a man, or it's a wrap. Gene was forced fo confront himself and his flaws. He did the right thing and finally married Shannon. "Happily unmarried" no more. I applaud Gene for finally coming to terms and owning his shit. Funny thing? In some ways Nick and Sophie grew up faster than their dad did!
User avatar
battra
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 19590
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:30 pm
Location: St. Louis
Contact:

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by battra »

nibbler1982 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:02 am
battra wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:56 am
nibbler1982 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:33 pm With Tongue he was just a figurehead like all the others. The mag was created by publishers Sterling/Macfadden and Allen Tuller. They just slapped Gene’s name on it. It was an attempt to capitalize on all the other men’s magazines of the time.

With Simmons Records it’s virtually the same. Gene would attach his name to a band and then shop them to real labels like RCA and BMG.

In both cases no risk and all reward.
So, he's a spokesman?

You consider spokes models to be businessmen?

When Ed McMahon did the spokesmodel segment on star search for some reason it wasn't covered by Forbes.
He wasn’t making the numbers and doing the volume Gene does.
I'd imagine Star Search was pulling in the same if not more money than Kiss was in the 80's.

It's like saying Michael Jordan was a businessman because he took Nike's money for shoes. :)

He's not.
User avatar
andreww1962
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1368
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:36 am

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by andreww1962 »

elleneff wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:14 am Oh to that, he was most certainly a loving caring son.

and his 2 children are wonderful (IMO) as a family man, finally realising that is everything and Shannon is his rock who is responsible for giving him that stability.
Ya well the fact that you can search and find video of that married, father of the year having uninspired sex with some other woman seems to suggest that Gene really doesn't value anything but himself.
elleneff
Banned
Banned
Posts: 5859
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by elleneff »

andreww1962 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:22 am
elleneff wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:14 am Oh to that, he was most certainly a loving caring son.

and his 2 children are wonderful (IMO) as a family man, finally realising that is everything and Shannon is his rock who is responsible for giving him that stability.
Ya well the fact that you can search and find video of that married, father of the year having uninspired sex with some other woman seems to suggest that Gene really doesn't value anything but himself.
Yeah. You got me on that one. That was....uninspired and rather.....lacklustre.
Pass the mind bleach thanks.. yes yes, the trademarked Gene Simmons (of KISS) Mind bleach. Erase all unpleasant memories.
User avatar
Vandelay Industries
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8734
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: CSRA, SC

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by Vandelay Industries »

andreww1962 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:00 am
DJ Sterling Golden wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:53 am
andreww1962 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:50 am
Sorry, you want to fill me in on one of those successes? I honestly can't think of any, that is unless you are talking about pimping out the KISS logo?
One? You've got Gene Simmons Family Jewels. Seven seasons, one of the longer running reality shows in American TV history. Far better tenure than first foreseen.

Anyway there ya go.
I'll concede Family Jewels was semi successful, If having a hit show on the Discovery channel is what you call successful. But that show really isn't a business venture. It was successful simply because it featured the band and plot lines surrounding the band fairly regularly. I know for a fact, that was the only reason I tuned in, to get a glimpse into the behind the scenes world of KISS. The show was successful because KISS fans tuned in, not because it was good, but because they wanted to see KISS. I'd all but Guarantee that if the show did not show any footage of Gene in makeup, the show wouldn't have lasted a season.

But I'll give you that one, show me one more.
Family Jewels is a unique example because it was NOT a success ratings-wise. However, because the show was produced on such a shoestring budget (as many reality TV shows are), A&E could still profit in spite of its low viewership. By contrast, a show like Longmire was cancelled by A&E because it couldn't profit, despite having more than double the ratings of FJ. So, because of FJ's sustainability, who deserves a pat on the back more, Gene or A&E?
elleneff
Banned
Banned
Posts: 5859
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by elleneff »

Vandelay Industries wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:42 am
andreww1962 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:00 am
DJ Sterling Golden wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:53 am
andreww1962 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:50 am
Sorry, you want to fill me in on one of those successes? I honestly can't think of any, that is unless you are talking about pimping out the KISS logo?
One? You've got Gene Simmons Family Jewels. Seven seasons, one of the longer running reality shows in American TV history. Far better tenure than first foreseen.

Anyway there ya go.
I'll concede Family Jewels was semi successful, If having a hit show on the Discovery channel is what you call successful. But that show really isn't a business venture. It was successful simply because it featured the band and plot lines surrounding the band fairly regularly. I know for a fact, that was the only reason I tuned in, to get a glimpse into the behind the scenes world of KISS. The show was successful because KISS fans tuned in, not because it was good, but because they wanted to see KISS. I'd all but Guarantee that if the show did not show any footage of Gene in makeup, the show wouldn't have lasted a season.

But I'll give you that one, show me one more.
Family Jewels is a unique example because it was NOT a success ratings-wise. However, because the show was produced on such a shoestring budget (as many reality TV shows are), A&E could still profit in spite of its low viewership. By contrast, a show like Longmire was cancelled by A&E because it couldn't profit, despite having more than double the ratings of FJ. So, because of FJ's sustainability, who deserves a pat on the back more, Gene or A&E?
It was also used, I believe as a reason to help Nick and Sophie obtain Equity cards and Agents.
User avatar
Vandelay Industries
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8734
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: CSRA, SC

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by Vandelay Industries »

elleneff wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:51 am
Vandelay Industries wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:42 am
andreww1962 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:00 am
DJ Sterling Golden wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:53 am
andreww1962 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:50 am
Sorry, you want to fill me in on one of those successes? I honestly can't think of any, that is unless you are talking about pimping out the KISS logo?
One? You've got Gene Simmons Family Jewels. Seven seasons, one of the longer running reality shows in American TV history. Far better tenure than first foreseen.

Anyway there ya go.
I'll concede Family Jewels was semi successful, If having a hit show on the Discovery channel is what you call successful. But that show really isn't a business venture. It was successful simply because it featured the band and plot lines surrounding the band fairly regularly. I know for a fact, that was the only reason I tuned in, to get a glimpse into the behind the scenes world of KISS. The show was successful because KISS fans tuned in, not because it was good, but because they wanted to see KISS. I'd all but Guarantee that if the show did not show any footage of Gene in makeup, the show wouldn't have lasted a season.

But I'll give you that one, show me one more.
Family Jewels is a unique example because it was NOT a success ratings-wise. However, because the show was produced on such a shoestring budget (as many reality TV shows are), A&E could still profit in spite of its low viewership. By contrast, a show like Longmire was cancelled by A&E because it couldn't profit, despite having more than double the ratings of FJ. So, because of FJ's sustainability, who deserves a pat on the back more, Gene or A&E?
It was also used, I believe as a reason to help Nick and Sophie obtain Equity cards and Agents.
Sure, I can see that.

Gene's a master opportunist more than a so-called master businessman. You want to see Gene showing his game in business, look no further than his debate with Bob Lefsetz (sp?) which I'm sure is still floating around on YouTube. Gene exhausts his recycled talking points and insults in the first 5 minutes, then for the next 25 minutes Bob shows everyone just how much of a guru Gene really is....
Last edited by Vandelay Industries on Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
nibbler1982
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 12393
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:12 pm
Location: Merrick, Strong Island

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by nibbler1982 »

battra wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:14 am
nibbler1982 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:02 am
battra wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:56 am
nibbler1982 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:33 pm With Tongue he was just a figurehead like all the others. The mag was created by publishers Sterling/Macfadden and Allen Tuller. They just slapped Gene’s name on it. It was an attempt to capitalize on all the other men’s magazines of the time.

With Simmons Records it’s virtually the same. Gene would attach his name to a band and then shop them to real labels like RCA and BMG.

In both cases no risk and all reward.
So, he's a spokesman?

You consider spokes models to be businessmen?

When Ed McMahon did the spokesmodel segment on star search for some reason it wasn't covered by Forbes.
He wasn’t making the numbers and doing the volume Gene does.
I'd imagine Star Search was pulling in the same if not more money than Kiss was in the 80's.

It's like saying Michael Jordan was a businessman because he took Nike's money for shoes. :)

He's not.
I can see I’m not talking to a businessman.

My ilk and myself can REALLY understand how a great businessman’s first rule is to limit risk.

I have so much money tied up in my latest endeavor I pretty much don’t sleep at night.

Gene has limited his risk to NONE.

It’s so beautiful it brings a tear to my eyes.
DJ Sterling Golden
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by DJ Sterling Golden »

andreww1962 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:22 am

Ya well the fact that you can search and find video of that married, father of the year having uninspired sex with some other woman seems to suggest that Gene really doesn't value anything but himself.
I'm sure Flora would have vehemently disagreed with the idea her son valued anything but himself. Hell, I do. But that's part of why these debates are fun.

That said, I have forever been of the belief that goofy video was as staged as reality TV itself (Who tf ever thought that was a good idea and why idk, but still) to further storylines, right down to the silly "that was decades old" bit. All this celeb culture shit's calculated and scripted for dramatic effect etc, let's not kid ourselves.

Anyway damn...we've steered far away from Rock x Brews here. :lol: Anyone ever try the adult root beer float or nah?
User avatar
battra
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 19590
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:30 pm
Location: St. Louis
Contact:

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by battra »

nibbler1982 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:03 am I can see I’m not talking to a businessman.

My ilk and myself can REALLY understand how a great businessman’s first rule is to limit risk.

I have so much money tied up in my latest endeavor I pretty much don’t sleep at night.

Gene has limited his risk to NONE.

It’s so beautiful it brings a tear to my eyes.
That's cute, Nibbs. :)
User avatar
nibbler1982
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 12393
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:12 pm
Location: Merrick, Strong Island

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by nibbler1982 »

battra wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:22 am
nibbler1982 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:03 am I can see I’m not talking to a businessman.

My ilk and myself can REALLY understand how a great businessman’s first rule is to limit risk.

I have so much money tied up in my latest endeavor I pretty much don’t sleep at night.

Gene has limited his risk to NONE.

It’s so beautiful it brings a tear to my eyes.
That's cute, Nibbs. :)
That’s what I’m talking about, there’s nothing cute about it.

It’s the epitome of business.

If you don’t have the eye for it...there’s nothing left to say.
User avatar
TheSphinx
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8314
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:17 pm
Location: Island Of Truth & Facts

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by TheSphinx »

Vandelay Industries wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:42 am
Family Jewels is a unique example because it was NOT a success ratings-wise. However, because the show was produced on such a shoestring budget (as many reality TV shows are), A&E could still profit in spite of its low viewership. By contrast, a show like Longmire was cancelled by A&E because it couldn't profit, despite having more than double the ratings of FJ. So, because of FJ's sustainability, who deserves a pat on the back more, Gene or A&E?

Family Jewels was a huge success. 3M tuned in to the final episode of its 7th season. It got cancelled when it averaged 1M an episode.

And best of all it was a weekly hour long commercial for all of his products and pitches.

and it did very well in repeats. Something shows like Longmire don't do as well. They aren't stand alone episodes like a Seinfeld.
DJ Sterling Golden
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by DJ Sterling Golden »

TheSphinx wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:03 am
Family Jewels was a huge success. 3M tuned in to the final episode of its 7th season. It got cancelled when it averaged 1M an episode.

And best of all it was a weekly hour long commercial for all of his products and pitches.

and it did very well in repeats. Something shows like Longmire don't do as well. They aren't stand alone episodes like a Seinfeld.
Correct. Honestly it doesn't matter if it was KISS stans pushing those numbers along or not, either. That said it did attract a share of those who enjoy reality TV too.

Funny story: while meeting my person (at that time) after her hair appt I overheard a couple of ladies talking about Shannon. One of them said: "Yea! Shannon Tweed, you know her! She married KISS!" :LOL:
User avatar
Vandelay Industries
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8734
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: CSRA, SC

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by Vandelay Industries »

TheSphinx wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:03 am
Vandelay Industries wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:42 am
Family Jewels is a unique example because it was NOT a success ratings-wise. However, because the show was produced on such a shoestring budget (as many reality TV shows are), A&E could still profit in spite of its low viewership. By contrast, a show like Longmire was cancelled by A&E because it couldn't profit, despite having more than double the ratings of FJ. So, because of FJ's sustainability, who deserves a pat on the back more, Gene or A&E?

Family Jewels was a huge success. 3M tuned in to the final episode of its 7th season. It got cancelled when it averaged 1M an episode.

And best of all it was a weekly hour long commercial for all of his products and pitches.

and it did very well in repeats. Something shows like Longmire don't do as well. They aren't stand alone episodes like a Seinfeld.
Longmire's lowest rated episode was in the 3.6 million range, which was still higher than the highest ever GSFJ episode, and it often broke 4 million viewers. When A&E cancelled it, Netflix picked it up to finish it out.

GSFJ's most successful episode, while not shabby at 3 million, didn't even win its own time slot for that week. A typical episode would be lucky to draw half that, which it rarely did. "Huge success" is a very relative term here... for a niche show on a niche network, sure, GSFJ was successful for what it was. Bigger picture tho, quite debatable...
User avatar
battra
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 19590
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:30 pm
Location: St. Louis
Contact:

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by battra »

nibbler1982 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:52 am
battra wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:22 am
nibbler1982 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:03 am I can see I’m not talking to a businessman.

My ilk and myself can REALLY understand how a great businessman’s first rule is to limit risk.

I have so much money tied up in my latest endeavor I pretty much don’t sleep at night.

Gene has limited his risk to NONE.

It’s so beautiful it brings a tear to my eyes.
That's cute, Nibbs. :)
That’s what I’m talking about, there’s nothing cute about it.

It’s the epitome of business.

If you don’t have the eye for it...there’s nothing left to say.
It's not the epitome of business.

It's a veneer.

No more, no less.

Kathy Ireland wasn't a business person when she worked for Budweiser nor is Gene Simmons for working for Todd MacFarlane.
User avatar
nibbler1982
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 12393
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:12 pm
Location: Merrick, Strong Island

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by nibbler1982 »

battra wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:40 am
nibbler1982 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:52 am
battra wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:22 am
nibbler1982 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:03 am I can see I’m not talking to a businessman.

My ilk and myself can REALLY understand how a great businessman’s first rule is to limit risk.

I have so much money tied up in my latest endeavor I pretty much don’t sleep at night.

Gene has limited his risk to NONE.

It’s so beautiful it brings a tear to my eyes.
That's cute, Nibbs. :)
That’s what I’m talking about, there’s nothing cute about it.

It’s the epitome of business.

If you don’t have the eye for it...there’s nothing left to say.
It's not the epitome of business.

It's a veneer.

No more, no less.

Kathy Ireland wasn't a business person when she worked for Budweiser nor is Gene Simmons for working for Todd MacFarlane.
Nah...sitting where you are you just can’t see it.
User avatar
TheSphinx
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8314
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:17 pm
Location: Island Of Truth & Facts

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by TheSphinx »

Vandelay Industries wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:24 am
TheSphinx wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:03 am
Vandelay Industries wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:42 am
Family Jewels is a unique example because it was NOT a success ratings-wise. However, because the show was produced on such a shoestring budget (as many reality TV shows are), A&E could still profit in spite of its low viewership. By contrast, a show like Longmire was cancelled by A&E because it couldn't profit, despite having more than double the ratings of FJ. So, because of FJ's sustainability, who deserves a pat on the back more, Gene or A&E?

Family Jewels was a huge success. 3M tuned in to the final episode of its 7th season. It got cancelled when it averaged 1M an episode.

And best of all it was a weekly hour long commercial for all of his products and pitches.

and it did very well in repeats. Something shows like Longmire don't do as well. They aren't stand alone episodes like a Seinfeld.
Longmire's lowest rated episode was in the 3.6 million range, which was still higher than the highest ever GSFJ episode, and it often broke 4 million viewers. When A&E cancelled it, Netflix picked it up to finish it out.

GSFJ's most successful episode, while not shabby at 3 million, didn't even win its own time slot for that week. A typical episode would be lucky to draw half that, which it rarely did. "Huge success" is a very relative term here... for a niche show on a niche network, sure, GSFJ was successful for what it was. Bigger picture tho, quite debatable...

Nobody at A&E cares about total viewers. All they cared about was the 18-49 demo. How much they were getting from advertisers. The last season of GSFJ they wer doing around a .50 for much of the season. The last few episodes dropped off to .4 or .3.

The last season of Longmire on A&E they probably averaged for the season around a .50 to .55

I think the Gene wedding episode of FJ did an astonishing 1.7M 18-49.
User avatar
Vandelay Industries
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8734
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: CSRA, SC

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by Vandelay Industries »

TheSphinx wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:07 am
Vandelay Industries wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:24 am
TheSphinx wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:03 am
Vandelay Industries wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:42 am
Family Jewels is a unique example because it was NOT a success ratings-wise. However, because the show was produced on such a shoestring budget (as many reality TV shows are), A&E could still profit in spite of its low viewership. By contrast, a show like Longmire was cancelled by A&E because it couldn't profit, despite having more than double the ratings of FJ. So, because of FJ's sustainability, who deserves a pat on the back more, Gene or A&E?

Family Jewels was a huge success. 3M tuned in to the final episode of its 7th season. It got cancelled when it averaged 1M an episode.

And best of all it was a weekly hour long commercial for all of his products and pitches.

and it did very well in repeats. Something shows like Longmire don't do as well. They aren't stand alone episodes like a Seinfeld.
Longmire's lowest rated episode was in the 3.6 million range, which was still higher than the highest ever GSFJ episode, and it often broke 4 million viewers. When A&E cancelled it, Netflix picked it up to finish it out.

GSFJ's most successful episode, while not shabby at 3 million, didn't even win its own time slot for that week. A typical episode would be lucky to draw half that, which it rarely did. "Huge success" is a very relative term here... for a niche show on a niche network, sure, GSFJ was successful for what it was. Bigger picture tho, quite debatable...

Nobody at A&E cares about total viewers. All they cared about was the 18-49 demo. How much they were getting from advertisers. The last season of GSFJ they wer doing around a .50 for much of the season. The last few episodes dropped off to .4 or .3.

The last season of Longmire on A&E they probably averaged for the season around a .50 to .55

I think the Gene wedding episode of FJ did an astonishing 1.7M 18-49.
Which brings me back to my original question: who gets the pat on the back for keeping GSFJ running, Gene or A&E? If GFFJ had the budget of a "proper" (non-reality) TV show, a .50 would've gotten it shit-canned after S1.
DJ Sterling Golden
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by DJ Sterling Golden »

TheSphinx wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:07 am
Vandelay Industries wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:24 am
TheSphinx wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:03 am
Vandelay Industries wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:42 am
Family Jewels is a unique example because it was NOT a success ratings-wise. However, because the show was produced on such a shoestring budget (as many reality TV shows are), A&E could still profit in spite of its low viewership. By contrast, a show like Longmire was cancelled by A&E because it couldn't profit, despite having more than double the ratings of FJ. So, because of FJ's sustainability, who deserves a pat on the back more, Gene or A&E?

Family Jewels was a huge success. 3M tuned in to the final episode of its 7th season. It got cancelled when it averaged 1M an episode.

And best of all it was a weekly hour long commercial for all of his products and pitches.

and it did very well in repeats. Something shows like Longmire don't do as well. They aren't stand alone episodes like a Seinfeld.
Longmire's lowest rated episode was in the 3.6 million range, which was still higher than the highest ever GSFJ episode, and it often broke 4 million viewers. When A&E cancelled it, Netflix picked it up to finish it out.

GSFJ's most successful episode, while not shabby at 3 million, didn't even win its own time slot for that week. A typical episode would be lucky to draw half that, which it rarely did. "Huge success" is a very relative term here... for a niche show on a niche network, sure, GSFJ was successful for what it was. Bigger picture tho, quite debatable...
I think the Gene wedding episode of FJ did an astonishing 1.7M 18-49.
Well I'm sure for some that's cos seeing a married Gene Simmons was like seeing Bigfoot or Snuffleuppagus. Nobody believed this species was real :lol:
User avatar
andreww1962
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1368
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:36 am

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by andreww1962 »

Vandelay Industries wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:02 am Gene's a master opportunist more than a so-called master businessman. You want to see Gene showing his game in business, look no further than his debate with Bob Lefsetz (sp?) which I'm sure is still floating around on YouTube. Gene exhausts his recycled talking points and insults in the first 5 minutes, then for the next 25 minutes Bob shows everyone just how much of a guru Gene really is....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-FCVFxPJ1g
User avatar
G6O6A6T
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1026
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:13 pm

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by G6O6A6T »

User avatar
Forevertj
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 14095
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:56 pm
Location: Powerhouse Gym

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by Forevertj »

I have never heard of Longmire before. I had to bing it. Doesn't sound too interesting to me.
DJ Sterling Golden
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by DJ Sterling Golden »

Forevertj wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:05 pm I have never heard of Longmire before. I had to bing it. Doesn't sound too interesting to me.
Which pretty much shows the greater impact Gene Simmons Family Jewels left long term vs a show someone in 2019 has to Bing or Google to find out wtf it is. Hell GSFJ is still around on Demand.

I'll say this too, when Tom Morello inducted KISS into the Hall of Fame, he referenced only one "nonmakeup" venture in his speech: the reality show. Whether one loved the show or otherwise, more people outside KISS stan culture know Gene Simmons Family Jewels than who Vinnie Vincent is. :lol: People remember it.
User avatar
Vandelay Industries
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8734
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: CSRA, SC

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by Vandelay Industries »

What a takeaway, using a sample size of one, by someone on a Kiss board no less :lol:

So people remembering it, that somehow should mean more than people who actually watched it? Interesting.
elleneff
Banned
Banned
Posts: 5859
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by elleneff »

Vandelay Industries wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:58 am What a takeaway, using a sample size of one, by someone on a Kiss board no less :lol:

So people remembering it, that somehow should mean more than people who actually watched it? Interesting.
I know. Lets take a cheap as chips reality show which costs little to nothing to produce and its average return (which sustained it) as cheap cost effecting network programming.
Which is exactly why these kind of shows permeate.

and then compare it to an expensive serial drama like Longmire , which on A&E was cancelled at the third season as that point its season cost, coupled with renegotiations and increased costbase for a forth series would not have been sustainable in terms of relative popualarity. Far bigger audience but the ratio wasn't permissive

Its like comparing Tomatoes and apples. Both technically a fruit and yet Tomatoes are sold as Veg.
DJ Sterling Golden
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by DJ Sterling Golden »

Vandelay Industries wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:58 am So people remembering it, that somehow should mean more than people who actually watched it? Interesting.
Absolutely. The long term, the big picture. Look at one hit wonders. We remember the one song but could anyone name a member of, idk, Ghostown DJs or Wang Chung? Without Googling? All we remember is the one silly song and nothing else. Meanwhile KISS, who have not had scores of top 10 singles in the United States, are the most recognizable of American legacy bands in spite of it. It is absolutely about how well you or your product is remembered long term. The enduring impact you made. Not about how lit you are short term. Cardi B will be forgotten in 20 years unless we are talking embarrassing 2010s fads we'd rather forget. Meanwhile KISS will still be well remembered, loved or otherwise, beyond short term hits bought by the label and fed to gullible folk. That's the test of time. I wasn't always the biggest fan of GSFJ but no one can take away that it made its mark well enough to be remembered by casuals long past peacing out. It's something people outside of KISS stans can recall, unlike someone like Vinnie Vincent. I said what I said.
Last edited by DJ Sterling Golden on Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
elleneff
Banned
Banned
Posts: 5859
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by elleneff »

DJ Sterling Golden wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:42 am
Vandelay Industries wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:58 am So people remembering it, that somehow should mean more than people who actually watched it? Interesting.
Absolutely. The long term, the big picture. Look at one hit wonders. We remenber songs but could anyone name a member of, idk, Ghostown DJs or Wang Chung? Without Googling? All we remember is the one song and nothing else. Meanwhile KISS, who have not had scores of top 10 singles in the United States, are the most recognizable of American legacy bands in spite of it. It is absolutely about how well you or your product is remembered long term. Not about how lit you are short term. Cardi B will be a forgettable memory in 20 years. Meanwhile KISS will still be well remembered. That's the test of time. I wasn't always the biggest fan of GSFJ but no one can take away that it made its mark well enough to be remembered long past peacing out. It's something people outside of KISS stans can recall, unlike someone like Vinnie Vincent. I said what I said.
I don't berate GSFJ. I actually enjoyed it for what it was. a Fake Reality show and I think what worked for people was watching this rock God, get taken down a peg or three by his partner and 2 very smart kids bursting his myth so to speak.
It was what it was and whether one likes these reality shows, it lasted 7 years... so...
DJ Sterling Golden
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by DJ Sterling Golden »

elleneff wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:48 am
I don't berate GSFJ. I actually enjoyed it for what it was. a Fake Reality show and I think what worked for people was watching this rock God, get taken down a peg or three by his partner and 2 very smart kids bursting his myth so to speak.
It was what it was and whether one likes these reality shows, it lasted 7 years... so...
And the glorious part of it all? Gene was a willing participant. :lol: Man he allowed himself to be the buffoon on there a ton of times and it was great. Anyone who shows himself trying to catch cattle sperm for bucks or get taken down a peg by basically everybody he meets on the show - and STILL believe he's a God of Thunder, if you will - has gotta possess some iron clad self security.

Look for the scene where Gene tries to lure his own son into a 360 deal. Obvs scripted but fabulous to watch Nick and Doc destroy him.
User avatar
Vandelay Industries
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8734
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: CSRA, SC

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by Vandelay Industries »

DJ Sterling Golden wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:42 am
Vandelay Industries wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:58 am So people remembering it, that somehow should mean more than people who actually watched it? Interesting.
Absolutely. The long term, the big picture. Look at one hit wonders. We remember the one song but could anyone name a member of, idk, Ghostown DJs or Wang Chung? Without Googling? All we remember is the one silly song and nothing else. Meanwhile KISS, who have not had scores of top 10 singles in the United States, are the most recognizable of American legacy bands in spite of it. It is absolutely about how well you or your product is remembered long term. The enduring impact you made. Not about how lit you are short term. Cardi B will be forgotten in 20 years unless we are talking embarrassing 2010s fads we'd rather forget. Meanwhile KISS will still be well remembered. That's the test of time. I wasn't always the biggest fan of GSFJ but no one can take away that it made its mark well enough to be remembered by casuals long past peacing out. It's something people outside of KISS stans can recall, unlike someone like Vinnie Vincent. I said what I said.
Kiss fans have carried the water for GSFJ. Take them out of the equation, and GSFJ would've flopped like a fish out of said water. Oh, I'm sure the occasional outlier tuned in to watch, but they were the exception and not the rule.

Longmire went for 6 seasons, hardly a "one hit wonder". I've had more people ask me about that show than GSFJ, and I'm known as the Kiss guy in these parts, lol...

And using your analogy, 20 years from now, how many people do you think would be able to name someone on GSFJ other than Gene himself? Hell, how many people could do that now?? Sorry, but at the end of the day, the show will be a footnote alongside countless other Kiss side projects, and is hardly a slice of Americana...
elleneff
Banned
Banned
Posts: 5859
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:24 pm

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by elleneff »

DJ Sterling Golden wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:53 am
elleneff wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:48 am
I don't berate GSFJ. I actually enjoyed it for what it was. a Fake Reality show and I think what worked for people was watching this rock God, get taken down a peg or three by his partner and 2 very smart kids bursting his myth so to speak.
It was what it was and whether one likes these reality shows, it lasted 7 years... so...
And the glorious part of it all? Gene was a willing participant. :lol: Man he allowed himself to be the buffoon on there a ton of times and it was great. Anyone who shows himself trying to catch cattle sperm for bucks or get taken down a peg by basically everybody he meets on the show - and STILL believe he's a God of Thunder, if you will - has gotta possess some iron clad self security.

Look for the scene where Gene tries to lure his own son into a 360 deal. Obvs scripted but fabulous to watch Nick and Doc destroy him.
and the times where the fans are mentioned, Gene says be nice they are your bread and butter, and yet the family are so so wary and reluctant as they know those certain obsessive fans only believe this image and what they are told...


Just wait. Paul will do one . after all the years of berating them...he will do one..... Once the kids are teen age and can agree, then Erin, Paul, Evan pops in, Colin, Tommy Thayer etc...all Pauls kids ..lol
User avatar
Vandelay Industries
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8734
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: CSRA, SC

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by Vandelay Industries »

And to add, I just asked someone at work what she thought of GSFJ, and her reply was "What's that?"...so, my sample size of one tells a different story 😁
DJ Sterling Golden
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by DJ Sterling Golden »

Vandelay Industries wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:04 am And to add, I just asked someone at work what she thought of GSFJ, and her reply was "What's that?"...so, my sample size of one tells a different story 😁
Well of course there is a catch, an asterisk to what I say. :) Many remember there was a reality show but let's see who knows it by name. Even in Morello's HoF speech, the show is referenced but not by name (and that's more than what any 80s album got). :) Nobody is going to confuse GSFJ with Seinfeld of course in terms of impact but nonetheless, many recall it better than most nonmakeup ventures.
User avatar
Vandelay Industries
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8734
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: CSRA, SC

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by Vandelay Industries »

DJ Sterling Golden wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:09 am
Vandelay Industries wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:04 am And to add, I just asked someone at work what she thought of GSFJ, and her reply was "What's that?"...so, my sample size of one tells a different story 😁
Well of course there is a catch, an asterisk to what I say. :) Many remember there was a reality show but let's see who knows it by name. Even in Morello's HoF speech, the show is referenced but not by name (and that's more than what any 80s album got). :) Nobody is going to confuse GSFJ with Seinfeld of course in terms of impact but nonetheless, many recall it better than most nonmakeup ventures.
Well, if people hear of something, but aren't interested enough to watch, what exactly is that supposed to mean?

These days, there are probably more people who've heard of Grumpy Cat than GSFJ, so I guess Grumpy Cat wins :D
DJ Sterling Golden
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1475
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by DJ Sterling Golden »

Vandelay Industries wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:21 am

Well, if people hear of something, but aren't interested enough to watch, what exactly is that supposed to mean?

These days, there are probably more people who've heard of Grumpy Cat than GSFJ, so I guess Grumpy Cat wins :D
RIP Grumpy. :(
User avatar
Vandelay Industries
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8734
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: CSRA, SC

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by Vandelay Industries »

DJ Sterling Golden wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:14 am
Vandelay Industries wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:21 am

Well, if people hear of something, but aren't interested enough to watch, what exactly is that supposed to mean?

These days, there are probably more people who've heard of Grumpy Cat than GSFJ, so I guess Grumpy Cat wins :D
RIP Grumpy. :(
It was a hell of a run!
User avatar
G6O6A6T
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1026
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:13 pm

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by G6O6A6T »

User avatar
Doose
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3279
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:15 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by Doose »

https://www.thereporter.com/2019/08/23/ ... main-open/

Vacaville’s Rock & Brews postpones closure as company works with franchisee offer
By Amy Maginnis-Honey

VACAVILLE — The Vacaville’s Rock & Brews closure is delayed. The eatery was scheduled to close its doors Sunday.

“Sunday’s closure has been postponed temporarily as we are trying to work with a local franchisee offer,” Adam Goldberg, CEO of Rock & Brews, said Friday. “We are working toward keeping the restaurant open indefinitely. We are trying to save jobs.”

Employees got the good news Friday afternoon, said Brent Lott, general manager.

“This is very exciting,” he said. “We are so happy. This is great.”

Goldberg said he heard there were tears of joy from customers and staff when they heard the news.

It’s the first Rock & Brews restaurant in Northern California. Lott said about 90 employees will keep their jobs.

Rock legends Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley of the band Kiss started the chain.

The Vacaville location opened in February 2018 with Stanley granting media interviews and hosting a group of veterans for a lunch.

Sacramento will get two new Rock & Brews in 2020, Goldberg said.
User avatar
Grizzly Adams
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 2952
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:11 pm

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by Grizzly Adams »

According to Paul Stanley, they are considering a Rock & Brews in Des Moines, Iowa.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 122059001/
User avatar
mybliesad
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1676
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:38 pm

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by mybliesad »

I'd like to eat at rock n brews. Sadly there's not one near me. I'd also like to have had coffee at that kiss coffee shop in I think Florida. Too bad it closed.
User avatar
Super Bee
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 969
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:03 am

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by Super Bee »

Had to bring back an old thread.

Just had Rock & Brews tonight here in Disney, I have to admit the food was absolutely fantastic. The better half and daughter loved it as well.

I was surprised the lack of KISS in the restaurant, just one smaller picture in the corner.

One thing happened which was very cool. While the music is playing in the restaurant they also have the music video playing on big screens around the dining area. Well, Neil Diamonds Sweet Caroline live came on and people started singing along. By the time the song ended the entire restaurant was singing along. It was pretty cool.
SecretlyFrehley
Banned
Banned
Posts: 479
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:18 am

Re: Rock & Brews

Post by SecretlyFrehley »

They were never particularly KISS branded in terms of decor. See the success of LA KISS.
Post Reply