Peter Mego doll head really Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor?!

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Sam
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: Peter Mego doll head really Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor?!

Post by Sam »

J-Lefty wrote:I certainly believe it. Nearly every aspect of KISSTORY (except for the actual music) has been proven to be a sham.
:lol:
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by 67321 »

J-Lefty wrote:I certainly believe it. Nearly every aspect of KISSTORY (except for the actual music) has been proven to be a sham.
:cry:
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

67321 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:51 pm
sneed78 wrote:
67321 IS A DORK.

After 39 years this is news to me.

Not sure if this has been discussed here but did anyone else realize that not only is Paul's '78 sculpt a Daryl Dragon head from Capt and Tenille, but Peter's head is actually leftovers from Gene Hackman's Lex Luther?

Compare the two:

Mind. Blown.

Here's more discussion about it:

http://megomuseum.com/community/showthr ... Lex-Luthor
Lol just saw your childish edit of my post... nope, didn’t get the info from you. My 10 year old nephew pointed it out to me after seeing a pic of the Lex Luthor doll. Nice try though! :P
AstroWarped
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by AstroWarped »

Looks more like Pittsburgher, Lyle Talbot, who played Lex Luthor in the 1950 serial, "Superman vs Atom Man": https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0847939/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

He also played Commissioner Gordon in the 1948 "Batman & Robin".
mekmad
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by mekmad »

How tall were the original dolls, 12 inch?
Four-Who-Are-One
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Four-Who-Are-One »

Yes, though the modern replicas from Figures Toy Co have added 8" versions.
k1ssarmy
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by k1ssarmy »

67321 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:50 pm
Hotter Than Heck wrote:
His Majesty wrote:So....The Catman is the greatest criminal mind of our time?
Probably. He did want to be a gangster had he lived in the 20s, remember. No worries though...he would have given the money to the poor
Haha.. fuckin' classic! I love that part from the Tomorrow show.

:D
Love it!! High AF!
C
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by C »

What about the chin dimple ? Looks like Bruce's Chin
NEILB4
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by NEILB4 »

Allamericanman wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:25 am
67321 wrote:
KISSFACE wrote:So my big question now - Is even Ace's head an original or is it just another repurposed mold? Is that Sue Richards under the mask?
Gene & Ace both are indeed original.
Yea. Definitely Gene.
"You can't hide the hook..." :D
Is Peter a copy of Lex on the skinny Peter too? :oops: :oops: ,sits back and waits...... :)
KissKat
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by KissKat »

Ok everyone here is the definitive answer:
Despite the misinformation on the Mego website, the 12” Mego Peter Criss head is 100% a repaint/reuse of the 12” Lex Luther head from the 12” Mego Lex, which is also 100% based on Gene Hackman.

The proof:
1.) as a ten year old child I had both action figures, Peter and Lex, and I used nail polish remover to take Peter’s makeup/paint off so I could see what he really looked like (since no one knew at the time). To my surprise, Peter had the same exact head as Lex Luther! It blew my ten year old mind. I’d never seen the two men in the same place at the same time, could it be? Lol

2.) While the jury seems to be out on Ace’s head, it’s been confirmed that Paul’s head was a repaint/reuse of the Captain figure (from the Captain and Tennille) so The precedent has already been set that Mego was not against reuse.

3.) So Peter’s head IS the Lex head. Is the Lex head based on the comic book or Gene Hackman from the “Superman” movie? The answer is both. Here’s the thing. Mego released a Lex Luther, General Zod and Jorel figure at the same time as both 12” figures AND 3.75” figures in their pocket super heroes line. Although I see a lot of people saying it doesn’t look like Gene Hackman on here, that’s very subjective, but to me, I see the likeness, especially by 1970’s standards. I think the argument that’s it’s intended to be Loosely based on Hackman becomes stronger when compounded by the fact that the Jorel heads (both sizes) look a lot like Marlon Brando AND the General Zod heads (both sizes) looks way more like the actor in the film than the character in the comic. I know someone here posted that they believed the Lex head was a reuse of Peter because the Kiss figures were released before the Superman line, but that’s a moot point because Superman 1 and 2 were shot back to back and probably took a long time to edit especially with all those fx shots. A big toy company like Mego, however, would be sent set photos and development artwork from the movie studio as early as possible, meaning the heads would’ve been ready months even years before the films came out or the figures had to hit the market. Now I know the bodies and costumes on the 12” and 3.75” Zod, Jorel and Lex are based on the comic and not the movies but that’s most likely just a marketing choice made along the way. It makes the figures more evergreen so their sales don’t live or die based on the success of the movies AND it’s just more appealing to young customers. Would you have bought a Lex Luther with a tweed jacket and a toupe?
Last edited by KissKat on Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
KISSFACE
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by KISSFACE »

Pulls off his “Peter” wig to declare himself — “Lex Luthor! The greatest criminal mind of our time!”

One second earlier:

“Mwahahahaa!”
KISSFACE

Post by KISSFACE »

Hmm — should we take a closer look at Sue Storm?

Who’s really under the Ace paint?
KissKat
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by KissKat »

I don’t think a 12” Sue existed, but I supposed they had technology to shrink and/or enlarge head sculpts. The mouth does look similar!
KissKat
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by KissKat »

I never had ace, but anyone know if he’s bald under the “real” hair or does he have hidden sculpted short hair under there ala Paul’s head?
scottbassist
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scottbassist »

sneed78 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:31 pm After 39 years this is news to me.

Not sure if this has been discussed here but did anyone else realize that not only is Paul's '78 sculpt a Daryl Dragon head from Capt and Tenille, but Peter's head is actually leftovers from Gene Hackman's Lex Luther?

Compare the two:

Mind. Blown.

It indeed is a Lex Luthor doll in the original photo, but it’s not the Gene Hackman Luthor. It’s a pre-Hackman Luthor doll, from 1977. “Superman the Movie” didn’t come out until a year and a half later, near Christmas 1978. The green and purple Luthor is from the comics, long, long before the 1978 movie. 🙂
KissKat
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by KissKat »

I realize you’ve been confused by the timeline, but the Lex figure is obviously supposed to be loosely based on Gene Hackman. Like a Gene Hackman/comic book hybrid, but definitely with the knowledge of the Gene Hackman casting and the benefits of a movie tie in. And the evidence is compounded by the Marlon Brando looking Jurel and the General Zod figure that looks like the movie actor. Zod looked nothing like this in the comic until after the Superman movie changed canon. The quality of the Hackman likeness can be criticized but it’s definitely supposed to be him because there’s no way around the fact that is a Marlon Brando doll he was released with as part of the same line (and the same goes for the 3.75” figs) As I said above the Superman movies 1 and 2 were shot back to back and were in production and a post a long time, long enough for the kiss figs to beat the Superman figs to market. And yes, I know the costumes of lex, jurel and Zod are based on the comic, but the three heads are not. I’m sure it was a debate and decision made after going back and forth on which would be more appealing. They’re like “loosely” based on the movie the same way many Batman figures from ‘67 to ‘77 kinda looked more like Adam west than the comic.

Does this Lex figure look like any drawing you’ve ever seen of Lex in the comic pre ‘78? He doesn’t even resemble the Lex on the box art. This guy has the fat and wide Hackman head. Go ahead, make a little 1:6 scale toupe, put it on his head, and tell me I’m wrong! Lol

And if these four figures weren’t somehow tied to the theatrical release, who in the world would release Jorel and Zod figures, in two separate scales? Kids didn’t even know who Zod was back then. Before the theatrical release, he was a very minor character.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by KissKat on Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:15 am, edited 4 times in total.
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

My question though is how hard would it have been to cast a new head to get a more accurate likeness for a figure they knew would sell well??
Why would they not do this? They obviously did it for Gene.... and maybe Ace? Is that recycled too?
KISSFACE

Post by KISSFACE »

Phyllis Simmons wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:01 pm My question though is how hard would it have been to cast a new head to get a more accurate likeness for a figure they knew would sell well??
Why would they not do this? They obviously did it for Gene.... and maybe Ace? Is that recycled too?
Good sculpts are surely an Expense, but KISS wears greasepaint, so perhaps they figured their target audience would never notice. If you draw the makeup well, it IS a fair disguise from a distance.

Mego dolls were held together by rubber bands internally — cheap as cheap can be is their unspoken motto! They probably regretted giving KISS likeness approval, which led to having to make a new Demon head. Too bad only Gene cared to call for changes.

I wonder if Peter ever thought to himself — “Hey, I look like that guy from The French Connection!”
KissKat
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by KissKat »

I think I’ve figured out part of the Mego mystery. I bet Mego had the rights to the DC comic book characters, but not the rights to the Superman movie! Remember back in the day WB didn’t own DC, so they’d be two different licenses. Maybe Mego were in negotiations with WB that fell apart or maybe they always knew the movie license was too rich for their blood. Point being, by releasing Lex, Zod and Jorel in DC comic book costumes and making their heads resemble the actors, they just have to pay for the comic book characters and gain the movie cross pollination for free! Why else release three obscure characters, that are definitely not fan faves with kids, like Lex, Zod and Jorel?
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

It's quite fitting that leftover dolls were used for Kiss. Just slap the face paint on. More profit. Everyone's happy!
KissKat
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by KissKat »

I just scratched the face paint off my Dynasty Peter by Figures Toy Co... it’s Anton Fig!!!
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

KISSFACE wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:37 pm Hmm — should we take a closer look at Sue Storm?

That is pretty damn close!

But the Sue Storm sculpt (definitely based on Farrah Fawcett) has a skinny female neck and the Ace sculpt has a thicker neck with an Adam’s apple even sculpted on it.

Like Gene, I think Ace definitely got his own sculpt (his spaced out expression is even there) even though Peter and Paul had to settle for leftover Daryl Dragon and Gene Hackman heads.
KissKat
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by KissKat »

Here is the 3.75” Hackman! Looks more like him than the 12”. I’m tempted to make a custom 3.75” Peter from this. Lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KissKat
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by KissKat »

Let’s play “Is it Criss or Hackman?”
Peacebrother
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Peacebrother »

I think the old Peter doll looks a bit like Eric Singer.
caligari

Post by caligari »

NEILB4 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:17 pm
Allamericanman wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:25 am
67321 wrote:
KISSFACE wrote:So my big question now - Is even Ace's head an original or is it just another repurposed mold? Is that Sue Richards under the mask?
Gene & Ace both are indeed original.
Yea. Definitely Gene.
"You can't hide the hook..." :D
Is Peter a copy of Lex on the skinny Peter too? :oops: :oops: ,sits back and waits...... :)
Yes
caligari

Post by caligari »

sneed78 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:14 am
KISSFACE wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:37 pm Hmm — should we take a closer look at Sue Storm?

But the Sue Storm sculpt (definitely based on Farrah Fawcett) has a skinny female neck and the Ace sculpt has a thicker neck with an Adam’s apple even sculpted on it.

Like Gene, I think Ace definitely got his own sculpt (his spaced out expression is even there) even though Peter and Paul had to settle for leftover Daryl Dragon and Gene Hackman heads.
Considering Sue Storm was a EIGHT INCH FIGURE,
Ace’s head on a TWELVE INCH FIGURE could NEVER be the same.
jkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by jkiss »

scottbassist wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:27 pm

Compare the two:

Mind. Blown.

It indeed is a Lex Luthor doll in the original photo, but it’s not the Gene Hackman Luthor. It’s a pre-Hackman Luthor doll, from 1977. “Superman the Movie” didn’t come out until a year and a half later, near Christmas 1978. The green and purple Luthor is from the comics, long, long before the 1978 movie. 🙂
Keep in mind the majority of Superman I & even II was filmed in 1977 (beginning in March). And I'm guessing Gene Hackman was among one the first cast, going back into 1976.

💡
Andy Capp

Post by Andy Capp »

old Andy said Mego never produced a skinny Peter figure---
scottbassist
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scottbassist »

jkiss wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:45 pm

Compare the two:

Mind. Blown.

Keep in mind the majority of Superman I & even II was filmed in 1977 (beginning in March). And I'm guessing Gene Hackman was among one the first cast, going back into 1976.

💡
Yeah, the face could have been molded to be like Hackman’s back in 1977. It’s just the fact that Hackman never wore the traditional green and purple Lex supervillain costume/uniform in Superman 78 or Superman II that led me to believe the doll and head were based on the older comics. It’s all good.

And you’re right about Donner filming in 1977, and preproduction dating back to 1976 or even late 1975. It’s still wild to watch the movies and see that Hackman, who already had one Oscar and was one of the hottest actors from 1971-75 (Francis Ford Coppola’s “The Conversation” from 1974 is brilliant) got billing over Reeve in both Superman 78 and Superman II. It’s understandable, of course, but still interesting. 😎
Spiritual_Chaos

Post by Spiritual_Chaos »

scottbassist wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:50 pm

Compare the two:

Mind. Blown.

💡
Yeah, the face could have been molded to be like Hackman’s back in 1977. It’s just the fact that Hackman never wore the traditional green and purple Lex supervillain costume/uniform in Superman 78 or Superman II that led me to believe the doll and head were based on the older comics. It’s all good.

And you’re right about Donner filming in 1977, and preproduction dating back to 1976 or even late 1975. It’s still wild to watch the movies and see that Hackman, who already had one Oscar and was one of the hottest actors from 1971-75 (Francis Ford Coppola’s “The Conversation” from 1974 is brilliant) got billing over Reeve in both Superman 78 and Superman II. It’s understandable, of course, but still interesting. 😎
Why wild? Seems to be pretty common in superhero movies with them getting big stars for villains. Nicholson is Batman had topbilling, did he not? I doubt George Clooney was billed over Schwarzenegger in Batman and Robin
scottbassist
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scottbassist »

KissKat wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:08 am Here is the 3.75” Hackman! Looks more like him than the 12”. I’m tempted to make a custom 3.75” Peter from this. Lol
That definitely looks more like Hackman! Wow!
scottbassist
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scottbassist »

Spiritual_Chaos wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:40 pm
scottbassist wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:50 pm

Compare the two:

Mind. Blown.

💡

Why wild? Seems to be pretty common in superhero movies with them getting big stars for villains. Nicholson is Batman had topbilling, did he not? I doubt George Clooney was billed over Schwarzenegger in Batman and Robin
Wild wasn’t the best word. I meant wild as in “cool,” and I did explain that it was a no-brainer for Hackman to get billing over Reeve. And yes, Nicholson got top billing over Keaton in 1989, and Arnold got billing over Clooney in B&R in 1997.
gothunder

Post by gothunder »

Andy Capp wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:11 pm old Andy said Mego never produced a skinny Peter figure---
You sure old sir?? It seems both versions exist.
Andy Capp

Post by Andy Capp »

gothunder wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:57 pm
Andy Capp wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:11 pm old Andy said Mego never produced a skinny Peter figure---
You sure old sir?? It seems both versions exist.
just asked old Andy again and he said the mego corp only produced three skinny figures‚ ace` gene & paul---- Andy has all three versions of the figures ....the skinny version (peter was made with the skinny set‘ but with a muscular body with no stencil work to his boots‚ the muscular set‚ and the French set (same as the muscular set‚ but with French writing on the box.)

phew... old Andy sure does know his kiss history ----
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

caligari wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:36 pm

It’s NOT the same but the Sue doll DID have a huge head. :cyclopsani:
Tito

Post by Tito »

Rockandrolloverman

Post by Rockandrolloverman »

Kissologist wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:03 pm That looks nothing like Gene Hackman.
Neither looks like Peter.
But both are cool figures 8)
It looks more like Race Bannon from Johnny quest and it does gene Hackman
Phyllis Simmons

sneed78 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:06 am

It is a huge head. They could probably recycle that head for the Tommy Thayer Mego?!
Rockandrolloverman

Post by Rockandrolloverman »

Phyllis Simmons wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:59 pm
sneed78 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:06 am

It is a huge head. They could probably recycle that head for the Tommy Thayer Mego?!
BA-da-BOOM!
KissKat
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by KissKat »

I’m not sure why, because I’m new to this, but all my reference pics were deleted. I’ll try again, with just these three to show the head sculpt is meant to resemble Gene Hackman as Lex. I don’t think Mego had the movie rights but they were still trying to cash in on the buzz of the movie. Mego launched in two scales, 12” and 3.75”.
Phyllis Simmons

KISSFACE wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:22 pm
Phyllis Simmons wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:01 pm My question though is how hard would it have been to cast a new head to get a more accurate likeness for a figure they knew would sell well??
Good sculpts are surely an Expense, but KISS wears greasepaint, so perhaps they figured their target audience would never notice. If you draw the makeup well, it IS a fair disguise from a distance.

Mego dolls were held together by rubber bands internally — cheap as cheap can be is their unspoken motto! They probably regretted giving KISS likeness approval, which led to having to make a new Demon head. Too bad only Gene cared to call for changes.

I wonder if Peter ever thought to himself — “Hey, I look like that guy from The French Connection!”
You're probably right; kids at the time weren't going to care too much; and the makeup was very well done on the figures. Gene's Mego is great. Ace's is very good too and appears that he DID get his own sculpt.. Paul and Peter aren't great in comparison.
I sold my KISS Mego's in probably early 2000's. I kinda wish I didnt. I had a look on ebay; and ones in good condition aint cheap these days! Looks like it is one item thats price has slowly gone north over the years.
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

KissKat wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:58 pm I’m not sure why, because I’m new to this, but all my reference pics were deleted. I’ll try again, with just these three to show the head sculpt is meant to resemble Gene Hackman as Lex. I don’t think Mego had the movie rights but they were still trying to cash in on the buzz of the movie. Mego launched in two scales, 12” and 3.75”.
Yes, it’s definitely a Gene Hackman likeness wearing the DC comics LL costume... cash in on the movie without getting sued plus the figure blends in with the other brightly colored Megos with the classic costume.
NEILB4
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by NEILB4 »

Indeed..... :)
Terry Zeppelin
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Terry Zeppelin »

Rumour has it that Paul's Mego camel toe is from Linda Carter's Wonder Woman
lord71

Post by lord71 »

69th_B1izard wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:12 am The most surprising thing to me about all of this is...that they actually made Capatain & Tennille dolls!
Captain & Tennille ??

never heard. LOL