Is this Tommy quote legit????!

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
User avatar
DemonFilth2001
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:12 pm

Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by DemonFilth2001 »

Posted on Three Sides Twitter with the usual “we won” fanboi rhetoric.

Image
User avatar
gappvembe
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5179
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:49 am
Location: MI

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by gappvembe »

Seemingly, it's from a 2015 interview

https://www.kissonline.com/news?n_id=123375

https://www.metal-rules.com/2015/08/05/ ... -thayer-2/



There are a lot of bands that have replaced the original members with new guys without any major problems, but it seems that in your case a few fans will never get over it.

What are you going to do? I think the fact that KISS has done very, very well for the last 12 years is a real testament and validation of what we've done and how we've done it. We did it the right way. If anybody thinks its crap and it's all wrong, then fuck off and start your own band. We've done very, very well. I'm very pleased.
User avatar
torgotheme
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1149
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by torgotheme »

Yeesh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Going Blind
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1889
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:21 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by Going Blind »

I thought Tommy took the hate in stride, he seemed to rise above it somehow. I guess it does get to him... I wonder how Eric really feels...
User avatar
vinniestkulick
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2134
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:37 am
Location: KISSIN TIME U.S.A.

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by vinniestkulick »

The royal "we" is more offensive, here... than the "f" bomb. He's kind of implying he's been there since the 23rd street loft. Like he was part of the original vision... really odd for The Thpace Ace..
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4938
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by TheSpoiler »

vinniestkulick wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:41 am The royal "we" is more offensive, here... than the "f" bomb. He's kind of implying he's been there since the 23rd street loft. Like he was part of the original vision... really odd for The Thpace Ace..
Bullshit. He's implying that he's part of the band. Which when this quote was said, he had been for 13 years.
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4938
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by TheSpoiler »

Going Blind wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:35 am I thought Tommy took the hate in stride, he seemed to rise above it somehow. I guess it does get to him... I wonder how Eric really feels...
It's a catch 22 for Thayer. If he doesn't say anything controversial, he "has no personality" and if he does, like in this quote - and it's really mild when it's put in context - suddenly it becomes "who does he think he is".
User avatar
69th_B1izard
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3136
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:43 pm
Location: Gotham City

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by 69th_B1izard »

Tommy was having a bad day it seems…
spaceace1977
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1322
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by spaceace1977 »

What a DOUCHE.
User avatar
vinniestkulick
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2134
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:37 am
Location: KISSIN TIME U.S.A.

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by vinniestkulick »

TheSpoiler wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:46 am
vinniestkulick wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:41 am The royal "we" is more offensive, here... than the "f" bomb. He's kind of implying he's been there since the 23rd street loft. Like he was part of the original vision... really odd for The Thpace Ace..
Bullshit. He's implying that he's part of the band. Which when this quote was said, he had been for 13 years.
:roll: Wow defensive much? :drunken: I'll spot you your "bullshit" and ask you to explain what the "we" did right, besides replicate what they'd already done... was it wearing the Destroyer costumers? the Alive costumes? The one time they got it right was the RTN tour. Otherwise they've digressed to the same lazy, crappy setlists they used to blame Peter & Ace for.
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4938
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by TheSpoiler »

vinniestkulick wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:58 am
TheSpoiler wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:46 am
vinniestkulick wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:41 am The royal "we" is more offensive, here... than the "f" bomb. He's kind of implying he's been there since the 23rd street loft. Like he was part of the original vision... really odd for The Thpace Ace..
Bullshit. He's implying that he's part of the band. Which when this quote was said, he had been for 13 years.
:roll: Wow defensive much? :drunken: I'll spot you your "bullshit" and ask you to explain what the "we" did right, besides replicate what they'd already done... was it wearing the Destroyer costumers? the Alive costumes? The one time they got it right was the RTN tour. Otherwise they've digressed to the same lazy, crappy setlists they used to blame Peter & Ace for.
.......says the most overly defensive Frehley fan on the board. :lol:

There's no point discussing what I think they've done right, as you'll disagree with it all anyway. :lol:

But to address your original point, no, I don't think that Thayer was even vaguely trying to suggest that he'd been in the band since the beginning and was part of the original vision. :lol:
User avatar
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu May 06, 2021 6:47 am

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

You know what, good for him. He's been shat on from a great height by alleged fans for twenty (20) years. About time he clapped back a little.
User avatar
John Shaft
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1115
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:10 am
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by John Shaft »

TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:04 am You know what, good for him. He's been shat on from a great height by alleged fans for twenty (20) years. About time he clapped back a little.
Yep, I agree. Tommy is spot on here and 100% correct. Sometimes the truth hurts some people.
User avatar
vinniestkulick
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2134
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:37 am
Location: KISSIN TIME U.S.A.

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by vinniestkulick »

TheSpoiler wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:03 am
vinniestkulick wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:58 am
TheSpoiler wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:46 am
vinniestkulick wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:41 am The royal "we" is more offensive, here... than the "f" bomb. He's kind of implying he's been there since the 23rd street loft. Like he was part of the original vision... really odd for The Thpace Ace..
Bullshit. He's implying that he's part of the band. Which when this quote was said, he had been for 13 years.
:roll: Wow defensive much? :drunken: I'll spot you your "bullshit" and ask you to explain what the "we" did right, besides replicate what they'd already done... was it wearing the Destroyer costumers? the Alive costumes? The one time they got it right was the RTN tour. Otherwise they've digressed to the same lazy, crappy setlists they used to blame Peter & Ace for.
.......says the most overly defensive Frehley fan on the board. :lol:

There's no point discussing what I think they've done right, as you'll disagree with it all anyway. :lol:

But to address your original point, no, I don't think that Thayer was even vaguely trying to suggest that he'd been in the band since the beginning and was part of the original vision. :lol:
I've already said what I think they've done right... the RTN was awesome. Swaping the setlists for the aping of prior members felt like a plausible trade. But sadly it's been downhill ever since. I'm all for Tommy defending himself, and like I said... I'm cool with the F-bomb... but his "we" usage is a bit grandiose. Contradictory notions can be true... sorry if that nuance is complicated.
User avatar
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu May 06, 2021 6:47 am

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

vinniestkulick wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:43 am
TheSpoiler wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:03 am
vinniestkulick wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:58 am
TheSpoiler wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:46 am

Bullshit. He's implying that he's part of the band. Which when this quote was said, he had been for 13 years.
:roll: Wow defensive much? :drunken: I'll spot you your "bullshit" and ask you to explain what the "we" did right, besides replicate what they'd already done... was it wearing the Destroyer costumers? the Alive costumes? The one time they got it right was the RTN tour. Otherwise they've digressed to the same lazy, crappy setlists they used to blame Peter & Ace for.
.......says the most overly defensive Frehley fan on the board. :lol:

There's no point discussing what I think they've done right, as you'll disagree with it all anyway. :lol:

But to address your original point, no, I don't think that Thayer was even vaguely trying to suggest that he'd been in the band since the beginning and was part of the original vision. :lol:
I've already said what I think they've done right... the RTN was awesome. Swaping the setlists for the aping of prior members felt like a plausible trade. But sadly it's been downhill ever since. I'm all for Tommy defending himself, and like I said... I'm cool with the F-bomb... but his "we" usage is a bit grandiose. Contradictory notions can be true... sorry if that nuance is complicated.
"What are you going to do? I think the fact that KISS has done very, very well for the last 12 years is a real testament and validation of what we've done and how we've done it. We did it the right way. If anybody thinks its crap and it's all wrong, then fuck off and start your own band. We've done very, very well. I'm very pleased."

I mean, he's clearly talking about what "we" as a band have done in the time he's been a member, but go off I guess.
User avatar
Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 874
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:18 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

On the positive side, he is not an anti-semite.
User avatar
misterhand80
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 761
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:59 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by misterhand80 »

vinniestkulick wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:41 am The royal "we" is more offensive, here... than the "f" bomb. He's kind of implying he's been there since the 23rd street loft. Like he was part of the original vision... really odd for The Thpace Ace..
No way is he implying he has been with KISS from the beginning. :roll: That's stretching things a lot.

we = KISS

No different than someone saying "we" when referring to the company they work for. It's part of a working team.
User avatar
B5Erik
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 15646
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:46 pm
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by B5Erik »

Much ado about nothing.

Par for the course with some obsessive KISS fans who need to get out of their parents' basements...
User avatar
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu May 06, 2021 6:47 am

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

misterhand80 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:51 am
vinniestkulick wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:41 am The royal "we" is more offensive, here... than the "f" bomb. He's kind of implying he's been there since the 23rd street loft. Like he was part of the original vision... really odd for The Thpace Ace..
No way is he implying he has been with KISS from the beginning. :roll: That's stretching things a lot.

we = KISS

No different than someone saying "we" when referring to the company they work for. It's part of a working team.
I remember my first day as a sales rep with Coca-Cola. My manager said "here at the Coke company, we have certain values." I couldn't believe it. "We?" I'm barely in the door and this motherfucker is implying that he's been there since 1886? Well, I'll tell you, I was not about to be lied to like that. I was livid.
User avatar
SaintN'Sinner83
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 20850
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:00 pm
Location: Outta This World...while Inside the Vortex.

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by SaintN'Sinner83 »

Ha. Go Tommy.
User avatar
KingOfHearts89
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2336
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:50 am

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

He isn't wrong, but I bet he got a smacked bottom of Paul for dropping the f bomb.
User avatar
Bruce
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 10170
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by Bruce »

Tommy -- TahMUSS!!! -- give 'em Hell !!!
User avatar
vinniestkulick
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2134
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:37 am
Location: KISSIN TIME U.S.A.

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by vinniestkulick »

TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:02 am
misterhand80 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:51 am
vinniestkulick wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:41 am The royal "we" is more offensive, here... than the "f" bomb. He's kind of implying he's been there since the 23rd street loft. Like he was part of the original vision... really odd for The Thpace Ace..
No way is he implying he has been with KISS from the beginning. :roll: That's stretching things a lot.

we = KISS

No different than someone saying "we" when referring to the company they work for. It's part of a working team.
I remember my first day as a sales rep with Coca-Cola. My manager said "here at the Coke company, we have certain values." I couldn't believe it. "We?" I'm barely in the door and this motherfucker is implying that he's been there since 1886? Well, I'll tell you, I was not about to be lied to like that. I was livid.
Drp, drr... what a grade school twist on the obvious point I was making (but then you are free to take it literally) Never mind that your bossman was speaking in the present tense... that Tommy was speaking in the past tense... and I said "kind of..." I get that it's all too much math for some. I'll try to use single syllables in the future.
User avatar
Thunderous_Lay
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8214
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:59 am
Location: Underway

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by Thunderous_Lay »

gappvembe wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:17 amSeemingly, it's from a 2015 interview
... the more reason to assume OP is a time traveller.

That, or he's been hibernating.
User avatar
TheKISSProject7312
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu May 06, 2021 6:47 am

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by TheKISSProject7312 »

vinniestkulick wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:37 am
TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:02 am
misterhand80 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:51 am
vinniestkulick wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:41 am The royal "we" is more offensive, here... than the "f" bomb. He's kind of implying he's been there since the 23rd street loft. Like he was part of the original vision... really odd for The Thpace Ace..
No way is he implying he has been with KISS from the beginning. :roll: That's stretching things a lot.

we = KISS

No different than someone saying "we" when referring to the company they work for. It's part of a working team.
I remember my first day as a sales rep with Coca-Cola. My manager said "here at the Coke company, we have certain values." I couldn't believe it. "We?" I'm barely in the door and this motherfucker is implying that he's been there since 1886? Well, I'll tell you, I was not about to be lied to like that. I was livid.
Drp, drr... what a grade school twist on the obvious point I was making (but then you are free to take it literally) Never mind that your bossman was speaking in the present tense... that Tommy was speaking in the past tense... and I said "kind of..." I get that it's all too much math for some. I'll try to use single syllables in the future.
Past tense? Dude, of course Tommy was speaking in the past tense. He's been in the band for 20 fucking years and he's specifically referring to a decision made, and pay attention here, on a date BEFORE the present.

We call that "the past."

And you've got the cheek to call my reading comprehension into question.

PS, I don't really work for Coke either. Incredible, I know.
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4938
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by TheSpoiler »

vinniestkulick wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:37 am
TheKISSProject7312 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:02 am
misterhand80 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:51 am
vinniestkulick wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:41 am The royal "we" is more offensive, here... than the "f" bomb. He's kind of implying he's been there since the 23rd street loft. Like he was part of the original vision... really odd for The Thpace Ace..
No way is he implying he has been with KISS from the beginning. :roll: That's stretching things a lot.

we = KISS

No different than someone saying "we" when referring to the company they work for. It's part of a working team.
I remember my first day as a sales rep with Coca-Cola. My manager said "here at the Coke company, we have certain values." I couldn't believe it. "We?" I'm barely in the door and this motherfucker is implying that he's been there since 1886? Well, I'll tell you, I was not about to be lied to like that. I was livid.
Drp, drr... what a grade school twist on the obvious point I was making (but then you are free to take it literally) Never mind that your bossman was speaking in the present tense... that Tommy was speaking in the past tense... and I said "kind of..." I get that it's all too much math for some. I'll try to use single syllables in the future.
Defensive and bitchy at the same time. Impressive.
User avatar
kwf484
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!
Posts: 491
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:03 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by kwf484 »

Hired hand then, now
User avatar
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6214
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by Grand Classic »

B5Erik wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:57 am Much ado about nothing.

Par for the course with some obsessive KISS fans who need to get out of their parents' basements...
Don't be that guy. That across the internet "burn" was old in 2012. No one here is actually living in their parents basement.
User avatar
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6214
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by Grand Classic »

Tommy does have balls to say that at the same time he is pretending to be Ace Frehley like he was doing in Cold Gin as well and that will be his legacy when KISS is done. The guy that played the role of Ace Frehley.
User avatar
B5Erik
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 15646
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:46 pm
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by B5Erik »

Grand Classic wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:46 am
B5Erik wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:57 am Much ado about nothing.

Par for the course with some obsessive KISS fans who need to get out of their parents' basements...
Don't be that guy. That across the internet "burn" was old in 2012. No one here is actually living in their parents basement.
No, they just act like they do.

I mean, really - who gives a shit about that quote? It's a mild comment. From 5 or 6 years ago. Having a rational sense of proportion is a good thing.
User avatar
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun May 30, 2021 1:38 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

Can't blame Tommy for clapping back. The f- bombs are a bit out of character for him as every interview I've ever read or seen him do, he's been totally professional. I guess the hate he gets does bother him.
Last edited by Kiss-Army-Sergeant on Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4938
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by TheSpoiler »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:40 pm Can't blame Tommy for clapping back. The f- bombs are a bit out of character for him as every interview I've ever rad or seen him do, e's been totally professional. I guess the hate he gets does bother him.
Or not. That's the problem with the written word, you lose all the nuance of intention and inflection. He COULD be angered by the landslide of shit that he's had, but equally, he could have said it with a smile and just said "if you don't like it, fuck off and form your own band", y'know?

If it IS an outburst of anger/frustration, it's a) very mild and b) it's his first and only public one in 20 years.
JohnBergless
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3317
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:11 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by JohnBergless »

What should have been quoted is, “Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me”. You’d be damn surprised - and I would too - how looking at your KISS paychecks coming in year after year soothes and numbs whatever bothers ya. It’s not raining on Tommy’s side of the street. Just sayin. He’s got the gig.
User avatar
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6214
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by Grand Classic »

The interesting thing is that the backlash is 100% valid.

Tommy had to know that this would be the ultimate price he would have pay in agreeing to play the role of Ace Frehley in KISS and make the money that he has.

Tommy signed up for this where as maybe Bruce Kulick or others wouldn't have.
Last edited by Grand Classic on Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StillAlive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:46 am

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by StillAlive »

Good for Tommy.
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4938
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by TheSpoiler »

Grand Classic wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:11 pm The interesting thing is that the backlash is 100% valid.

Tommy had to know that this would be the ultimate price he would have pay in agreeing to play the role of Ace Frehley and make the money that he has.
Yes, I'm certain that he knew what he was getting into, however the backlash isn't 100% valid, aside from the people who get upset about makeup and costumes. Thayer treats the role with respect, and isn't a full-bore dickhead like his predecessor. That's why he's been picking up the checks for the last two decades, while the bosses really really really don't want the original guy back, regardless of how much money it might make them. Process that for a second. Gene & Paul don't want Ace back regardless of how much money it might make them.

And earlier today we've seen yet another example of exactly why they might feel like that.

QED, really.
User avatar
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 11514
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by jannep17 »

He can say what he wants.
He's been in Kiss during a period when they became a legacy act.
Sure, two new albums during those decades but no one bothered about them.
The point of Kiss today is re-enacting a show that became popular in the 70's.
User avatar
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!
Posts: 29601
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:17 am

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by redinthesky »

JohnBergless wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:07 pm What should have been quoted is, “Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me”. You’d be damn surprised - and I would too - how looking at your KISS paychecks coming in year after year soothes and numbs whatever bothers ya. It’s not raining on Tommy’s side of the street. Just sayin. He’s got the gig.
There was an interesting piece of footage from (just guessing) maybe seven years ago or so, someone linked it here, where an interviewer (Kiss before a show I think) "asked" Tommy about playing "Ace" in Kiss. I forget how it was worded, but it made it sound as if Tommy was playing Ace, and Tommy snapped back with a reply about how he is the guitarist in Kiss now. I wish I could be more specific but Tommy definitely had a nerve touched.
User avatar
Ack66
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:56 am

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by Ack66 »

Ace can say horrible things about Jews and gets a pass from some people. Tommy tells the truth and people are ready to crucify him.
User avatar
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6214
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:19 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:11 pm The interesting thing is that the backlash is 100% valid.

Tommy had to know that this would be the ultimate price he would have pay in agreeing to play the role of Ace Frehley and make the money that he has.
Yes, I'm certain that he knew what he was getting into, however the backlash isn't 100% valid, aside from the people who get upset about makeup and costumes. Thayer treats the role with respect, and isn't a full-bore dickhead like his predecessor. That's why he's been picking up the checks for the last two decades, while the bosses really really really don't want the original guy back, regardless of how much money it might make them. Process that for a second. Gene & Paul don't want Ace back regardless of how much money it might make them.

And earlier today we've seen yet another example of exactly why they might feel like that.

QED, really.
It is not up for debate. It is 100% valid. What you make like or prefer is completely irrelevant.

Tommy signed up for something SPECIFIC that fundamentally came with consequences for doing what he is doing. The money is worth it to him, so he is willing to pay that price, but he is playing the role of Ace Frehley and that is all he will be remembered as.

I don't think Bruce would be willing to pay that same price from the comments he has made about it. I am sure he would love the money, but not the backlash that I am sure he knows is the consequence of doing such a thing.
User avatar
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6214
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by Grand Classic »

Ack66 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:36 pm Ace can say horrible things about Jews and gets a pass from some people. Tommy tells the truth and people are ready to crucify him.
One has absolutely fuck all to do with the other.
User avatar
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun May 30, 2021 1:38 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

redinthesky wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:23 pm There was an interesting piece of footage from (just guessing) maybe seven years ago or so, someone linked it here, where an interviewer (Kiss before a show I think) "asked" Tommy about playing "Ace" in Kiss. I forget how it was worded, but it made it sound as if Tommy was playing Ace, and Tommy snapped back with a reply about how he is the guitarist in Kiss now. I wish I could be more specific but Tommy definitely had a nerve touched.
There's no way that this doesn't bother Tommy, but he knew what he was signing up for and upon reading it again, it sounds like he's talking out of two sides of his mouth. In that article, he sort of griped about being in the same makeup and not being allowed to let his style come through musically until Monster.
User avatar
KlassicKISS54
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:07 am

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by KlassicKISS54 »

The irony is strong with Tommy suggesting the critics get their own band since he can't even get his own stage look. There's a HUGE difference between being the next batter up in a band and wearing the founding member's identity. Its not remotely the same thing.
StillAlive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:46 am

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by StillAlive »

KlassicKISS54 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:22 pm There's a HUGE difference between...
There's a huge difference between KISS and virtually every other band in that regard.
Ace is out of the band. It's not 1974 anymore. The train rolls on. Someone else wears his precious make-up. Boo hoo.
User avatar
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6214
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by Grand Classic »

StillAlive wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:33 pm
KlassicKISS54 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:22 pm There's a HUGE difference between...
There's a huge difference between KISS and virtually every other band in that regard.
Ace is out of the band. It's not 1974 anymore. The train rolls on. Someone else wears his precious make-up. Boo hoo.
And does his stage effects, and writes songs as if Ace was still in the band, and does thumbs up photos like Ace and sells guitars in Ace makeup, etc, etc.

There is literally fuck all that Tommy brings to the table that his actually his idea or created by him. His entire existence is pretending to be someone else.
StillAlive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:46 am

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by StillAlive »

Grand Classic wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:50 pm
StillAlive wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:33 pm
KlassicKISS54 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:22 pm There's a HUGE difference between...
There's a huge difference between KISS and virtually every other band in that regard.
Ace is out of the band. It's not 1974 anymore. The train rolls on. Someone else wears his precious make-up. Boo hoo.
And does his stage effects, and writes songs as if Ace was still in the band, and does thumbs up photos like Ace and sells guitars in Ace makeup, etc, etc.

There is literally fuck all that Tommy brings to the table that his actually his idea or created by him. His entire existence is pretending to be someone else.
"Wahhhh! Wahhhh!
My scumbag hero was kicked to the curb and doesn't get enough credit.
Wahhhh! Wahhhh!
It kills me when I see all the rave reviews for the EOTR tour.
Wahhhh! Wahhhh!
I wish it was 1974 forever.
Wahhhh! Wahhhhh!
I will spend every day of my adult life trashing the current KISS lineup.
Wahhhhh! Wahhhhhh!"
User avatar
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6214
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by Grand Classic »

StillAlive wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:01 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:50 pm
StillAlive wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:33 pm
KlassicKISS54 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:22 pm There's a HUGE difference between...
There's a huge difference between KISS and virtually every other band in that regard.
Ace is out of the band. It's not 1974 anymore. The train rolls on. Someone else wears his precious make-up. Boo hoo.
And does his stage effects, and writes songs as if Ace was still in the band, and does thumbs up photos like Ace and sells guitars in Ace makeup, etc, etc.

There is literally fuck all that Tommy brings to the table that his actually his idea or created by him. His entire existence is pretending to be someone else.
"Wahhhh! Wahhhh!
My scumbag hero was kicked to the curb and doesn't get enough credit.
Wahhhh! Wahhhh!
It kills me when I see all the rave reviews for the EOTR tour.
Wahhhh! Wahhhh!
I wish it was 1974 forever.
Wahhhh! Wahhhhh!
I will spend every day of my adult life trashing the current KISS lineup.
Wahhhhh! Wahhhhhh!"
You remind me of that jackass Fartbone. He used "Wahhhh" often like you have been using a few times now. Probably just a coincidence.
User avatar
SaintN'Sinner83
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 20850
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:00 pm
Location: Outta This World...while Inside the Vortex.

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by SaintN'Sinner83 »

jannep17 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:21 pm The point of Kiss today is re-enacting a show that became popular in the 70's.
That's been the point if KISS yesterday and today. Since 1996.
User avatar
KlassicKISS54
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member
Posts: 259
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:07 am

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by KlassicKISS54 »

StillAlive wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:33 pm
KlassicKISS54 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:22 pm There's a HUGE difference between...
There's a huge difference between KISS and virtually every other band in that regard.
Ace is out of the band. It's not 1974 anymore. The train rolls on. Someone else wears his precious make-up. Boo hoo.
The only person having an emotional breakdown about this is you. There has been a long and well stated consensus about Tommy the person and what he does on the business side for the band - All positive. I simply disagree with his suggestion that this situation is like any other band. Apples and oranges. He's putting on a performance. If he gets sick, they have someone else fill in behind him wearing the same gear. The show looks and sounds the same. And that's all it is today. Its now just a show. He's not a musician who came to the band and made a musical statement for himself like every other member before him. He came in to play a role and that's what he does. I no more want Ace Frehley in that makeup today than I want Tommy Thayer. Those four original members made that what it is today, but that's over. All anyone has ever asked of KISS is that Tommy be permitted to express himself and be his own person on stage. If your argument is it needs to be Disney on ice, then okay I see your point. I just don't support that business model.
User avatar
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 6214
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Re: Is this Tommy quote legit????!

Post by Grand Classic »

SaintN'Sinner83 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:33 pm
jannep17 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:21 pm The point of Kiss today is re-enacting a show that became popular in the 70's.
That's been the point if KISS yesterday and today. Since 1996.
Except in 1996, it actually WAS the band from the 70's. That is a MASSIVE difference between then and now and not even remotely the same thing.