So, Ace gets a pass?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
gooerstcb
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

So, Ace gets a pass?

Post by gooerstcb »

I take it that most of us are adults here. We all love a band that has been kicking ass for almost 50 years. How cool it that? This forum will light up hotter than a blazing California wildfire if KISS plays "Shock Me". Ace does basically a whole set of KISS Klassicks with other people singing...crickets. Is it all about lipstick and stacked heels? Enjoy every minute we have enjoying our heroes. Peace.
BC Witch
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: So, Ace gets a pass?

Post by BC Witch »

gooerstcb wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:14 am I take it that most of us are adults here. We all love a band that has been kicking ass for almost 50 years. How cool it that? This forum will light up hotter than a blazing California wildfire if KISS plays "Shock Me". Ace does basically a whole set of KISS Klassicks with other people singing...crickets. Is it all about lipstick and stacked heels? Enjoy every minute we have enjoying our heroes. Peace.
The difference is that he doesn't have people dressed up as Paul and Gene.

KISS have a guy dressed as Ace, playing his solos note for note. That's what makes it weird when they do Shock Me.
Tito
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Tito »

His setlist has been heavily criticized for that reason exactly, by most on here, I would see.
Bruce
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Bruce »

Ace is performing at used car lots, does it really matter what setlist he's playing? Nothing to complain about or take umbrage with ...
StillAlive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by StillAlive »

Yes. Ace gets a pass.
You’ll notice there has been no Covid shaming or hysteria regarding his tour with Alice. No faux outrage over fan safety since their tour started. Not a peep. As opposed to the dozens and dozens and dozens of hysterical posts regarding the KISS tour.
Also, no detective work to prove poor sales or attendance.

#Hypocrisy

Prediction: Grand Classic will ruin this topic (as usual) with his predicable pollution. Post after post after post. Over/Under is 12.
Last edited by StillAlive on Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
EasyCatMan
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by EasyCatMan »

StillAlive wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:32 am Yes. Ace gets a pass.
You’ll notice there has been no Covid shaming or hysteria regarding his tour with Alice. No faux outrage over fan safety.
No detective work to prove poor sales or attendance.

#Hypocrisy

He hasn't gotten a pass at all. Many have complained about his setlist and that doesn't include his solo albums.

Why would anyone care about Ace/Covid? Ace has not been on social media the last year and a half doing the opposite of what he does in real life.

Ace's solo shows do better than Gene or Paul can do on their own so?
weboes
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by weboes »

I don't post a ton but whenever I comment on Ace's shows I almost always try to say how dumb it is he has people in his band singing Kiss songs. And if I complain about Kiss doing Beth or Shock Me I say it's just as dumb as Ace having his guys do Kiss songs. To me it's a big rip off to go see Ace and you end up watching some guy you don't care about singing a Kiss song. I have never understood Ace needing to get out of Kiss to be a solo act only to have someone else in the band singing half the songs. And while I am on a roll I don't want to hear Lita Ford or anyone else(except Paul,Gene,or Peter) singing on Ace's cover albums.
weboes
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by weboes »

You’ll notice there has been no Covid shaming or hysteria regarding his tour with Alice. No faux outrage over fan safety.

#Hypocrisy
I would think that's because Ace has been a Trump person and most of the people attacking Gene and Paul lean right. People tend not to attack their own.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

weboes wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:00 am

#Hypocrisy
I would think that's because Ace has been a Trump person and most of the people attacking Gene and Paul lean right. People tend not to attack their own.
That escalated quickly.
KISSTRONAUT
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

#Hypocrisy
Exactly! An often overlooked simple fact. People look over and protect those they like and support.
Hypocrisy is rampant in the world.
Wiped Out 78

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

Dumb thread.

Ace doesn't get a pass for his KISS-heavy setlist. Not here, anyway.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

gooerstcb wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:14 am I take it that most of us are adults here. We all love a band that has been kicking ass for almost 50 years. How cool it that? This forum will light up hotter than a blazing California wildfire if KISS plays "Shock Me". Ace does basically a whole set of KISS Klassicks with other people singing...crickets. Is it all about lipstick and stacked heels? Enjoy every minute we have enjoying our heroes. Peace.
KISS hired a guy to play the role of Ace Frehley - from looking like Ace to singing his songs to doing Ace's trademark effects on stage to having him write Ace style songs as if the real Ace Frehley was still in the band.

It's not even remotely the same thing.

If KISS was still the unmasked Bruce and Eric era and they decided to put Shock Me in their set with say Eric singing it - no one would care.

It's the 70's nostalgia that KISS is selling these days that makes it a problem. It's pathetic that Eric sings Beth too.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

#Hypocrisy
I said Alice and Ace shouldn't be touring now either.
Man of a Thousand Aces

Post by Man of a Thousand Aces »

This logic makes little sense. As I imagine others have pointed out, no one in Ace's band is wearing makeup. Ace was a quarter of KISS and the guitar solos on the KISS tunes were his. He has other singers singing lead because he didn't sing lead on every KISS tune. KISS has the burden of being tied to their image.
StillAlive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by StillAlive »

Also a lot of butthurt Ace fans that will never forgive, never forget, never let go.
Their hero has been relegated to playing car dealerships while the train rolls on.
Tito

Post by Tito »

KISSTRONAUT wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:08 am

#Hypocrisy
Exactly! An often overlooked simple fact. People look over and protect those they like and support.
Riiight, that must be it. And I bet they're all paid to post here too. :roll:

#acesimaginaryfreepass
Julien
EXP20240130

Post by Julien »

My perspective:

"Shock Me" was written by Ace and recorded by KISS while he was in the band and became a central soundtrack part of the show. While it may be less than desirable for Tommy to be singing it, it remains a KISS catalog song and a useful device during the show. Tommy does a fine job honoring the song when performed. It also seems to annoy some fans, making it all the more appealing.

Ace was the lead guitarist for KISS, 1972-82 and 1996-2001, and will always be the originator of many of the band's signature guitar solos, so pretty much any song is fair game for his band to perform, particularly if it gives him a break from lead vocal duties during the set, or he simply wants one of his guys singing something. Would I prefer more Ace solo material in his sets? Sure. But I'm usually there to see Ace with his band and have yet to walk out of a show due to dissatisfaction with the set.

Life is too short to worry about irrelevancies I can't control.
johnkissfan1974
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by johnkissfan1974 »

For me there is weight with this post as its never bothered me when a masked Eric Carr (and later unmasked lineups) played songs from the original lineup. I stopped listening to Kiss when Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer took on the spaceman and catman personna for the simple fact seeing others dressed like them didn’t appeal to me. What further seperated my enjoyment for the current line up is Paul’s voice. I am being open and honest and have always said for me the costumed personnas is the first thing turned me off. I havent listened to or purchased any of the bands music post the Farewell Tour.

Its a respect thing for the characters that the original 4 created. I feel the fans got jipped by simply rehashing the catman and spaceman characters - BUT I also fault Ace and Peter with this as they willingly gave up their rights to their makeup for a profit.

If the change had taken place when I was young perhaps It wouldnt’ve bothere me, but then again had Eric Carr dressed as the catman in 1980 it very well could have turned me off to the band (I was only 6 so I don’t know).
Last edited by johnkissfan1974 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tito

Post by Tito »

Julien wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:27 am It also seems to annoy some fans, making it all the more appealing.
Really? :|
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Tito wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:25 am

#Hypocrisy

#acesimaginaryfreepass
It's funny you say that - Donna Dixon on this forum actually believes that I am paid to be here. Even suggesting that Rolling Stone Magazine may be the one paying me.
Tito

Post by Tito »

Grand Classic wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:34 am
Tito wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:25 am

#acesimaginaryfreepass
It's funny you say that - Donna Dixon on this forum actually believes that I am paid to be here. Even suggesting that Rolling Stone Magazine may be the one paying me.
I've noticed.
PsychoElder

Post by PsychoElder »

Grand Classic wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:20 am

#Hypocrisy
I remember you saying that Ace and Alice shouldn’t be touring. You didn’t just limit it to KISS.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

PsychoElder wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:44 am
Grand Classic wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:20 am

#Hypocrisy
I remember you saying that Ace and Alice shouldn’t be touring. You didn’t just limit it to KISS.
Thanks.

Some people here only see what they want to see.
weboes
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by weboes »

jannep17 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:07 am

#Hypocrisy
That escalated quickly.
I don't think I did anything besides state the reason he wouldn't be attacked for playing. And I stated the obvious that most people hold back when criticizing people they like.
aceeg

Post by aceeg »

Bruce wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:29 am Ace is performing at used car lots, does it really matter what setlist he's playing? Nothing to complain about or take umbrage with ...
If it weren't for the reunion Kiss would be playing car lots!
LoveGuns

Post by LoveGuns »

I dont see anybody getting a pass. Many are vicious towards Ace and many, many are vicious towards Kiss. It seems like both sides are trying to outdo each other. Personally I have no idea why there are sides to begin with and why both Kiss and Ace are being scrutinized, ridiculed and their shortcomings put on the pedestals.

Its as if its personal for some. How many times will people bring up Ace playing a car lot one time? Is it satisfactory to see that he isnt a superstar selling out arenas? Does it make you revel in it? Same with Kiss. Some act as if Paul is a pedophile on the loose. Its one thing to criticize someone but to be outright mean is another. Sometimes I see comments here that are no different at all from people who always hated the band.

As for the OP, obviously theres a difference for those who have issue woth it. If Paul would be singing Shock Me or Eric, whose voice I think would fut the song more its a different thing. Tommy is given the song because of the costume. As for Ace hes playing Kiss covers because hes playing for generic rock audience and Alice Cooper fans who know him only from Kiss

I myself am thrilled that both Kiss amd Ace are on the road, that Ace looks better and looks happy, and that Kiss is still kicking ass
Last edited by LoveGuns on Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

#Hypocrisy
I think you mixed this up and not to get political here - but Trump represents the right at least when he was President. So the people attacking Gene and Paul would actually lean left using your scenario.
Velvis
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Velvis »

1) Shock Me has been fairly rare since 2001.
2) Ace has other songs (his own) people would rather hear.
3) The KISS songs (Love Gun, Deuce) Ace plays have been played constantly since the beginning of time.
4) The KISS songs (Love Gun, Deuce) Ace plays are being sung by someone know one knows.
weboes
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by weboes »

Grand Classic wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:26 am

#Hypocrisy
I think you mixed this up and not to get political here - but Trump represents the right at least when he was President. So the people attacking Gene and Paul would actually lean left using your scenario.
No they are attacking them because they see them as being hypocritical. And because they have promoted things the right has opposed during the pandemic so they become targets. Not to be political either haha. Hard to address covid without mentioning politics.
Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

Yes, to a large extent it is about lipstick and stacked heels. I don't even understand the outrage.
tazchris
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by tazchris »

Whatever KISS, or Ace does is fine with me. The main thing is we are still talking about what they are doing after nearly 50 years, and that is pretty amazing.
Forevertj

Post by Forevertj »

weboes wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:57 am I don't post a ton but whenever I comment on Ace's shows I almost always try to say how dumb it is he has people in his band singing Kiss songs. And if I complain about Kiss doing Beth or Shock Me I say it's just as dumb as Ace having his guys do Kiss songs. To me it's a big rip off to go see Ace and you end up watching some guy you don't care about singing a Kiss song. I have never understood Ace needing to get out of Kiss to be a solo act only to have someone else in the band singing half the songs. And while I am on a roll I don't want to hear Lita Ford or anyone else(except Paul,Gene,or Peter) singing on Ace's cover albums.

Is it possible Ace needs someone else to sing to rest his voice? I agree with you. We all want to hear Ace sing, not someone we have never heard of.
Forevertj

Post by Forevertj »

#Hypocrisy

It is against the terms of service to discuss politics here.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

weboes wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:11 am
jannep17 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:07 am

#Hypocrisy
That escalated quickly.
I don't think I did anything besides state the reason he wouldn't be attacked for playing. And I stated the obvious that most people hold back when criticizing people they like.
I don't think Ace gets a pass. Several people have mentioned that his setlists are off balance, I myself find it weird that he plays Strutter, DRC and Love Gun.

And the Trump thing, sorry but that's neither here nor there.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Forevertj wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:59 am

#Hypocrisy

Don't be that guy.

It was a mere mention. It happens from time to time outside of people really wanting to have a political discussion on here.
Forevertj

Post by Forevertj »

Grand Classic wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:06 am

#Hypocrisy

Don't be that guy.

It was a mere mention. It happens from time to time outside of people really wanting to have a political discussion on here.

I just thought I would tell you so you don't waste your time; I have you on ignore.
misterhand80
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by misterhand80 »

aceeg wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:16 am
Bruce wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:29 am Ace is performing at used car lots, does it really matter what setlist he's playing? Nothing to complain about or take umbrage with ...
If it weren't for the reunion Kiss would be playing car lots!
But... the reunion happened. KISS aren't playing car lots. Ace has. :D
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Forevertj wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:09 am
Grand Classic wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:06 am

Don't be that guy.

I just thought I would tell you so you don't waste your time; I have you on ignore.
Good, so I am glad you saw this at least.
weboes
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by weboes »

Forevertj wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:58 am
weboes wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:57 am I don't post a ton but whenever I comment on Ace's shows I almost always try to say how dumb it is he has people in his band singing Kiss songs. And if I complain about Kiss doing Beth or Shock Me I say it's just as dumb as Ace having his guys do Kiss songs. To me it's a big rip off to go see Ace and you end up watching some guy you don't care about singing a Kiss song. I have never understood Ace needing to get out of Kiss to be a solo act only to have someone else in the band singing half the songs. And while I am on a roll I don't want to hear Lita Ford or anyone else(except Paul,Gene,or Peter) singing on Ace's cover albums.

Is it possible Ace needs someone else to sing to rest his voice? I agree with you. We all want to hear Ace sing, not someone we have never heard of.
He has said that. I just would rather him do some of his instrumentals. I mean if you put one on every record and you need some time to rest your voice live it seems like a perfect fit to me. Even if you let the other guitar player do the leads if your hands need a break. This is why I never understood him leaving the band twice. I mean if you can't do a full show yourself isn't it better to be in a band with Gene and Paul singing the other songs?
Marty Scurll
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Marty Scurll »

What’s the point of the ignore function anyway? You can always see the blocked persons comments when someone quotes them, which happens more times than not.

And not to insult anyone, but if you’re a grown ass man, what can be said on a forum about Kiss that would make you want to block someone anyway. If I were that sensitive I would just leave I suppose. But then again I’m not really on here that often so maybe I miss a lot of annoyances.

Not to get off topic so, as many have already stated,Kiss performing Shock Me has more to do with Tommy cloning Ace. If Bruce sang it in the non makeup era, it probably would have been accepted more, maybe, still would have seemed awkward. If Tommy performed Out of this World instead of Shock Me I don’t think anyone would bat an eye. Most want to hear Ace perform it. Also, I really don’t like hearing Aces band perform Love Gun, DRC, Strutter,etc…I think they both get it wrong.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

Marty Scurll wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:41 am What’s the point of the ignore function anyway? You can always see the blocked persons comments when someone quotes them, which happens more times than not.

And not to insult anyone, but if you’re a grown ass man, what can be said on a forum about Kiss that would make you want to block someone anyway. If I were that sensitive I would just leave I suppose. But then again I’m not really on here that often so maybe I miss a lot of annoyances.

Not to get off topic so, as many have already stated,Kiss performing Shock Me has more to do with Tommy cloning Ace. If Bruce sang it in the non makeup era, it probably would have been accepted more, maybe, still would have seemed awkward. If Tommy performed Out of this World instead of Shock Me I don’t think anyone would bat an eye. Most want to hear Ace perform it. Also, I really don’t like hearing Aces band perform Love Gun, DRC, Strutter,etc…I think they both get it wrong.
I have blocked a few people making racist comments.
There goes my red line.
Marty Scurll
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Marty Scurll »

jannep17 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:48 am
Marty Scurll wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:41 am What’s the point of the ignore function anyway? You can always see the blocked persons comments when someone quotes them, which happens more times than not.

There goes my red line.
Oh, I haven’t seen that. But don’t you see it anyway if someone quotes them?
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

Marty Scurll wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:51 am

There goes my red line.
I don't think so. So if I block someone, I only block their posts, not when other people quote them? I didn't know that.
Christmas
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Christmas »

Wiped Out 78 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:09 am Dumb thread.

Ace doesn't get a pass for his KISS-heavy setlist. Not here, anyway.
That’s true. We don’t like Kiss or Ace around here. :)
Marty Scurll
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Marty Scurll »

jannep17 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:58 am
Marty Scurll wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:51 am

There goes my red line.
I don't think so. So if I block someone, I only block their posts, not when other people quote them? I didn't know that.
That’s my understanding of it.
B5Erik
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

Even if Ace was playing as well as he did in 1990 I wouldn't bother with his modern tours.

Why?

Because I don't want to see/hear Ace and his band do half-assed versions of KISS songs that Ace didn't write or sing originally.

I want to hear Rip It Out, Rock Soldiers, Shot Full of Rock, Sister, etc. I want to hear ACE's songs, including (and especially) his solo material if I go to see him live as a solo act.

And since Ace, A.) doesn't play those songs, and, B.) can't play for shit these days, anyway, I'm not going to pay money to go see him. I saw him in 1989 and 1995. I saw him while he was still great. I don't want to tarnish that, especially since he wouldn't play the songs I'd want to hear.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Even if you ignore someone, it stills give you the option to see the comment if you click yes to do so. I think most who use the ignore function still look at posts if it is someone quoting them.

Much Too Soon sure as shit did. He read every single post from people he had on ignore, which negated the purpose of the ignore feature and then he started his What? posts.
Marty Scurll
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Marty Scurll »

Grand Classic wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:10 pm

Even if you ignore someone, it stills give you the option to see the comment if you click yes to do so. I think most who use the ignore function still look at posts if it is someone quoting them.

Much Too Soon sure as shit did. He read every single post from people he had on ignore, which negated the purpose of the ignore feature and then he started his What? posts.
See I didn’t know you could view it anyway if you choose. I just thought you would have to disable the ignore function.

If someone’s hurling personal insults or whatever maybe i can understand someone getting bent out of shape, but just discussing Kiss? I’m gonna put you on ignore because you don’t like Tommy? Or you’re insulting Paul?! I mean really?
StillAlive
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by StillAlive »

Marty Scurll wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:41 am What’s the point of the ignore function anyway?
Personally, I don't use it.
But it's awfully tempting when some people make 20, 30, even 40 posts in the same topic. Making the same point over and over and over again.
It ruins the flow of the discussion. It destroys the topic. As well as being just plain rude, obnoxious, obsessive and self-absorbed.
I sometimes wish there was a post limit per topic (or per day).
If you can't make your point in under 15 posts, maybe you need to improve your communication skills?
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Marty Scurll wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:16 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:10 pm

See I didn’t know you could view it anyway if you choose. I just thought you would have to disable the ignore function.

If someone’s hurling personal insults or whatever maybe i can understand someone getting bent out of shape, but just discussing Kiss? I’m gonna put you on ignore because you don’t like Tommy? Or you’re insulting Paul?! I mean really?
Yep. It asks you if you want to see the comment. So you can still scroll on by and not see it, but I think it's human nature to be curious and so they look at it anyway. More often than the people who have used the ignore feature have confirmed that they don't actually do any ignoring.

Vandelay Industries said it best:
Vandelay Industries wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:16 am
If someone's criticism of Kiss affects you so much that it actually changes your mood, maybe that's a "you" problem...