23 years ago today - Psycho Circus press conference

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
B5Erik
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Re: 23 years ago today - Psycho Circus press conference

Post by B5Erik »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:34 pm
B5Erik wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:22 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:37 am I was so excited for what turned out to be an embarrassment.

If you want to completely botch your reunion album - Gene and Paul can tell you exactly what to do.
They totally botched it. I blame Paul more than Gene, and I blame Bruce Fairbairn a lot, too.

The album should have been a vintage, 70's style album with just a few nods to the 80's and 90's. It should have featured Ace and Peter throughout. It should have been the album the fans wanted. Instead, it was the album that Paul and Bruce Fairbairn wanted.
To be fair though, Gene was writing We Are One/You Wanted The Best kind of stuff. He was going for a theme instead of just writing usual Gene songs.

Funny enough, I think Bruce Fairbairn got along better with Gene and Paul resented that about the experience of working with Fairbairn.

It is unfortunate that the pairing didn't work, because I dig a few of Fairbairn's production work for other bands.
I hate most of Fairbairn's work. HATE. Almost every album he did would have turned out better with another producer working on it, instead. His ultra-slick, pop friendly style just didn't work for me. Van Halen's Balance is probably the least objectionable album he produced, and that's a flawed album, too.
His Majesty

Post by His Majesty »

Hi I'm Witz wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:20 am
rocknrollallnight wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:50 am
Tallbear13 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:15 am Thats right people a new album with the original members and we guarantee the 3D will work on all the shows , can't wait to see sell out shows everywhere.

Land of hype and of course the machine was running fans were buying the merch but this tour tanked for the most part in the US.
What a shame! Gene and Paul should have had Ace and Peter actually be a part of the album. Why they didnt include them in the studio, I will never understand. It could have been a great album, but they mucked it up
Because according to them, it wouldve taken 2 years to complete the album. :roll:

That never hurt Tool or Boston. :D
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Grand Classic »

B5Erik wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:12 am
Grand Classic wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:34 pm
B5Erik wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:22 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:37 am I was so excited for what turned out to be an embarrassment.

If you want to completely botch your reunion album - Gene and Paul can tell you exactly what to do.
They totally botched it. I blame Paul more than Gene, and I blame Bruce Fairbairn a lot, too.

The album should have been a vintage, 70's style album with just a few nods to the 80's and 90's. It should have featured Ace and Peter throughout. It should have been the album the fans wanted. Instead, it was the album that Paul and Bruce Fairbairn wanted.
To be fair though, Gene was writing We Are One/You Wanted The Best kind of stuff. He was going for a theme instead of just writing usual Gene songs.

Funny enough, I think Bruce Fairbairn got along better with Gene and Paul resented that about the experience of working with Fairbairn.

It is unfortunate that the pairing didn't work, because I dig a few of Fairbairn's production work for other bands.
I hate most of Fairbairn's work. HATE. Almost every album he did would have turned out better with another producer working on it, instead. His ultra-slick, pop friendly style just didn't work for me. Van Halen's Balance is probably the least objectionable album he produced, and that's a flawed album, too.
Ya, I really like how VH sound on Balance. :D

I also think Permanent Vacation and Pump sound fantastic, but I understand if you are not a fan of the direction they went into to rejuvenate their career in the 80's like some Whitesnake fans in the UK having a problem with 1987. Not to mention the slew of other 70's bands that got more glossy in the 80's too.

Bob Ezrin was supposed to produce PC, but was busy with other projects and couldn't do it. I think Bob Rock would have been a better choice, but I am curious - who would you want to produce PC?
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

I would have liked any producer that would have demanded Ace & Peter be involved for the album the band was selling it to be rather than one willing to pull the wool over the fans' eyes and ears. Who that is, I don't know. But I don't give a shit about Bob Rock, Mutt Lang, or any other big name producer if they woulda been on board with Tommy Thayer and Kevin Valentine figuratively cosplaying in the studio.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

joma5477 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:40 am I would have liked any producer that would have demanded Ace & Peter be involved for the album the band was selling it to be rather than one willing to pull the wool over the fans' eyes and ears. Who that is, I don't know. But I don't give a shit about Bob Rock, Mutt Lang, or any other big name producer if they woulda been on board with Tommy Thayer and Kevin Valentine figuratively cosplaying in the studio.
I agree. It made no sense to not want to do a true reunion album.

Truth be told - I really don't think Fairbairn was a KISS fan or respected them at all on a music level, so he just wanted to get what he deemed to be better musicians to work on the album because he is used to working with more talented bands in terms of musicians.

I think on PC, it was just about getting paid for Fairbairn and not an actual interest in working with KISS. I think he just wanted to get in and get out quickly with not the same effort he would have afforded VH or Aerosmith.
aceeg
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by aceeg »

They payed Ace and Peter $800,000 to not play on it.
Why ? Control and writing credits. They could have played live in the studio like they did on into the void the best track on the album!
Holmgren
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Holmgren »

I doubt the album would have been any better with Ace and Peter.
The title track kicks ass but that's about it.
I finally found my way is a joke but was still considered better than Peters contributions. Think about that..
Into the void. Ok at best.
Eddie Van Hazel

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

Like with Ron Nevison, Paul and Gene were probably hoping (with Fairbairn) they would
have that number one/top ten KISS album with a hit single.
misterhand80
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by misterhand80 »

aceeg wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:27 pm They payed Ace and Peter $800,000 to not play on it.
Why ? Control and writing credits. They could have played live in the studio like they did on into the void the best track on the album!
As you can see in the clip posted here, Ace was A-OK with getting paid to not perform on the album. He seems perfectly fine lying about it during the press conference. Pathetic.
SaintN'Sinner83

Post by SaintN'Sinner83 »

aceeg wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:27 pm They payed Ace and Peter $800,000 to not play on it.
"Into the Void" is not the best song on the album. Not even close - and it's not even a good album to start with.

Middle of the road Ace tune. Paint by numbers.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

At the time I thought maybe Gene and Paul were right - Ace doesn't have the ability to write any good songs and Into The Void was the best he could do.

Then Anomaly came out and I wish that some of this stuff was on a KISS album. It is almost like the 78 solo album situation again in that Paul and Gene weren't entirely sure that Ace could make a whole album and proved them wrong.
aceeg

Post by aceeg »

SaintN'Sinner83 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:20 pm
"Into the Void" is not the best song on the album. Not even close - and it's not even a good album to start with.

Not according to Kevin Valentine the ghost drummer said that was the best most Kiss like song on the album.
SaintN'Sinner83

Post by SaintN'Sinner83 »

aceeg wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:43 am

Not according to Kevin Valentine the ghost drummer said that was the best most Kiss like song on the album.
Oh damn, well, pardon me!

:lol:
misterhand80
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by misterhand80 »

Well, if the almighty Kevin Valentine says so, we must bow down and accept. :lol:
KISSTRONAUT
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

Despite the warts, I enjoyed the whole Psycho Circus period. It all went by too fast.
Holmgren
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Holmgren »

misterhand80 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:24 am

Well, if the almighty Kevin Valentine says so, we must bow down and accept. :lol:
I must say I understand what he means.
It's sloppy, kind of boring and weak drumming.
Totaly Kiss with Ace and Peter post 1978.
sabresaxon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by sabresaxon »

I’ve always doubted the $800K pay-off thing.

For a fraction of that cost they could have hired a team of engineers to record their parts and edit them together.
Live_To_Win_07
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Live_To_Win_07 »

I get why a lot of people would have been underwhelmed by it when it was released and then really annoyed when the truth in regards to who played on the album came out. I wasn't a fan when it came out but it was the most recent studio offering when I did become a fan a few years after the release. It doesn't really do much for me outside the title track.