KISS My Kollectibles - Vintage KISS Songbooks & Sheet Music with John 5

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
downboys
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

KISS My Kollectibles - Vintage KISS Songbooks & Sheet Music with John 5

Post by downboys »

Back with a new episode finally. This time, we cover vintage KISS songbooks and sheet music with John 5. Joe had to sit out this episode due to bad weather, but we got it covered. Enjoy!

Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Re: KISS My Kollectibles - Vintage KISS Songbooks & Sheet Music with John 5

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

Just watched a few minutes, looks great and the vibe is cool. I don't even collect KISS stuff but this show looks very good.
downboys

Post by downboys »

Thanks man! Of course, we’ve been around 6 years now 😉😁
Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

Dude I know that, but the show has changed and it seems like you are now at a good place.
shandi777

Post by shandi777 »

Looking forward to this one.
downboys

Post by downboys »

Goodwilltowardsall wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:27 pm Dude I know that, but the show has changed and it seems like you are now at a good place.
Glad you think so. We’ve been in a really good place for the last year. Appreciate the comment very much!
wjs296
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by wjs296 »

Awesome show! I have been able to get a few of the folios from Japan. Always looking for the missing pieces.
kisswah
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by kisswah »

Fun show.

The writing in the Peter songbook with the hard frontcover is not in german it is in dutch BTW.
Last edited by kisswah on Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

I've got all the songbooks.
Dirty dee
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Dirty dee »

There are more collectors besides John 5 out there. Love him but variety is the spice of life. Need some fresh blood
Under The Rose
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Under The Rose »

Great stuff as always!
Tito

Post by Tito »

Always fun. Shame Joe wasn't there though.

I would be very curious to hear what's on that "Beth" flexi disc!

Dirty dee wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:08 am There are more collectors besides John 5 out there. Love him but variety is the spice of life. Need some fresh blood
Is he not one of the co-hosts by now? They've had other collectors on and to me some of those episodes have been disappointing because the chemistry just isn't the same. I love the humour between these guys. I mean, I'm not THAT interested in songbooks but I love watching the show... Besides, had he not been on, we would never have seen this rocking joggers and leather jacket combo. :wink:
downboys

Post by downboys »

Dirty dee wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:08 am There are more collectors besides John 5 out there. Love him but variety is the spice of life. Need some fresh blood
John is a co-host of the show. Not just a special guest. We will continue to do Kollector Spotlights in the future.
downboys

Post by downboys »

Tito wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:50 am Always fun. Shame Joe wasn't there though.

Is he not one of the co-hosts by now? They've had other collectors on and to me some of those episodes have been disappointing because the chemistry just isn't the same. I love the humour between these guys. I mean, I'm not THAT interested in songbooks but I love watching the show... Besides, had he not been on, we would never have seen this rocking joggers and leather jacket combo. :wink:

❤️❤️❤️
Tallbear13
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Tallbear13 »

Very fun show
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

I agree…I’m not really into songbooks, but it’s all about the dynamic of the show and the hosts. The current 4 hosts have perfected the ultimate KISS TV show, or podcast or whatever the hell these things are called. Fantastic to think John is a permanent host. I really look forward to each episode and watch the entire show.

An idea for a future episode I’d love to see….I’d love an episode focussed just on British collectibles and vinyl from the classic era. Not sure if there would be enough to stretch to the usual 2+ hours, but with J5 you never know!
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

I used to have the Double Platinum one that someone had given me years ago...it's probably up in the loft somewhere. You always wonder how well these things sold - most Kiss songs are fairly easy to work out how to play by ear, so who was buying them?
downboys

Post by downboys »

Under The Rose wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:55 am

I agree…I’m not really into songbooks, but it’s all about the dynamic of the show and the hosts. The current 4 hosts have perfected the ultimate KISS TV show, or podcast or whatever the hell these things are called. Fantastic to think John is a permanent host. I really look forward to each episode and watch the entire show.

An idea for a future episode I’d love to see….I’d love an episode focussed just on British collectibles and vinyl from the classic era. Not sure if there would be enough to stretch to the usual 2+ hours, but with J5 you never know!
❤️❤️❤️
BC Witch
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by BC Witch »

Glasgow Kiss wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:21 am I used to have the Double Platinum one that someone had given me years ago...it's probably up in the loft somewhere. You always wonder how well these things sold - most Kiss songs are fairly easy to work out how to play by ear, so who was buying them?
I got that 'Best Of' one when I was a kid, mainly because it was so rare to find KISS stuff in the UK at that time that I would buy anything I came across. It was exciting just to have it.
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

BC Witch wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:12 am
Glasgow Kiss wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:21 am I used to have the Double Platinum one that someone had given me years ago...it's probably up in the loft somewhere. You always wonder how well these things sold - most Kiss songs are fairly easy to work out how to play by ear, so who was buying them?
I got that 'Best Of' one when I was a kid, mainly because it was so rare to find KISS stuff in the UK at that time that I would buy anything I came across. It was exciting just to have it.
Yeah, I imagine mine would have originally dated from the time of the album, but from memory someone gave me it sometime in the 90s after finding it in a charity shop lol.

We had a goldmine of an independent record shop here called Listen in the late 70s/early 80s that stocked a lot of Kiss stuff in the basement - if was actually there I saw the Alive II live poster, was transfixed and HAD to find out what that band sounded like! Managed to get quite a few Kiss related things there at that time - they even stocked US magazines like Grooves and Creem, though on a bit of an ad hoc basis.

The assistants were legendarily snooty though, and I saw them verbally destroy people who had come in asking for something they though was shite. You knew you were on the right track when you asked for something and got a curt nod of approval at your choice.

ETA: Just remembered one of the assistants was Big John Duncan, who was the guitarist for The Exploited/Goodbye Mr McKenzie and later briefly a touring member of Nirvana...he was the token punk though - most of them were either metalheads or Zappa/Beefheart heads.
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

The one with Gene with the red eyes right? Me too, for exactly the same reason! That was the only songbook I bought, aside from Peter Criss’s solo album book which I found somewhere back in the early 80’s, second hand. I even got a band together at school to play Hooked on Rock’n’roll complete with brass an’ all! We came third in the annual school house singing competition! Ha!
BC Witch
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by BC Witch »

Under The Rose wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:58 am
The one with Gene with the red eyes right? Me too, for exactly the same reason! That was the only songbook I bought, aside from Peter Criss’s solo album book which I found somewhere back in the early 80’s, second hand. I even got a band together at school to play Hooked on Rock’n’roll complete with brass an’ all! We came third in the annual school house singing competition! Ha!
That's great! I love 'Hooked On Rock 'n' Roll'! Peter's rock n' roll-y stuff really appealed to me as a teen, and still does. I think the list of songs in that book really solidified my idea of KISS as a very eclectic band, with the solo LPs and the studio side of ALIVE II every bit as important as Love Gun and Destroyer. Mind you, when I bought it I barely knew how to play barre chords so a lot of it went over my head. I still have it though so maybe I should go and learn 'Hold Me, Touch Me' as a highly niche party piece...
BC Witch
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by BC Witch »

Glasgow Kiss wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:42 am
Yeah, I imagine mine would have originally dated from the time of the album, but from memory someone gave me it sometime in the 90s after finding it in a charity shop lol.

We had a goldmine of an independent record shop here called Listen in the late 70s/early 80s that stocked a lot of Kiss stuff in the basement - if was actually there I saw the Alive II live poster, was transfixed and HAD to find out what that band sounded like! Managed to get quite a few Kiss related things there at that time - they even stocked US magazines like Grooves and Creem, though on a bit of an ad hoc basis.

The assistants were legendarily snooty though, and I saw them verbally destroy people who had come in asking for something they though was shite. You knew you were on the right track when you asked for something and got a curt nod of approval at your choice.

ETA: Just remembered one of the assistants was Big John Duncan, who was the guitarist for The Exploited/Goodbye Mr McKenzie and later briefly a touring member of Nirvana...he was the token punk though - most of them were either metalheads or Zappa/Beefheart heads.
Wow! That's great. I love particular record shops being tied so closely to our young experiences of music. There was a record store in Cardiff called Buffalo where I picked up my first two KISS LPs in a sale (Double Platinum and ALIVE II, US versions). That was a killer shop.

Talking of Big John, I was watching Twisted Sister's legendary first appearance at the Reading Festival on Youtube a while back and noticed that he's their guitar tech! You can see him on Eddie Ojeda's side...

Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

BC Witch wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:50 am
That's great! I love 'Hooked On Rock 'n' Roll'! Peter's rock n' roll-y stuff really appealed to me as a teen, and still does. I think the list of songs in that book really solidified my idea of KISS as a very eclectic band, with the solo LPs and the studio side of ALIVE II every bit as important as Love Gun and Destroyer. Mind you, when I bought it I barely knew how to play barre chords so a lot of it went over my head. I still have it though so maybe I should go and learn 'Hold Me, Touch Me' as a highly niche party piece...
I’m afraid I lost my copy of that songbook along with my entire record collection in a flood years ago. Oh well! I’m just about over it now. Yep, Hooked on Rock’n’Roll is absolutely a 10/10 for me. The groovy walking basslines, awesome brass and great drums and vocals from Peter. I loved KISS’s 78-81 eclectic years!
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I'm very interested in song books put out by this band -- thanks for posting this!
BC Witch
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by BC Witch »

Under The Rose wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:58 pm
BC Witch wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:50 am

I’m afraid I lost my copy of that songbook along with my entire record collection in a flood years ago. Oh well! I’m just about over it now. Yep, Hooked on Rock’n’Roll is absolutely a 10/10 for me. The groovy walking basslines, awesome brass and great drums and vocals from Peter. I loved KISS’s 78-81 eclectic years!
Fun fact and nerdy KISS konnection - the bass player on 'Hooked On Rock 'N' Roll' is Bill Bodine who the BC Rich Eagle bass was designed for (and was originally called the 'Bodine bass'). Paul played a BC Rich Eagle during the Creatures/Lick It Up era.