On PC Being a Reunion Album

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
southernkiss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

On PC Being a Reunion Album

Post by southernkiss »

When Psycho Circus was announced, was anyone expecting it to be an authentic reunion album or just Gene, Paul, and ghost players?
Eddie Van Hazel
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: On PC Being a Reunion Album

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

When I heard the announcement of a reunion album (early 98), I was hoping that it would be the OG 4 in the studio.

By the summer of 98, the word was getting out about who was playing on the album/who wasn't, etc.
There were stories/rumors in the KISS fanzines and on the KISS fan internet sites.

Wasn't surprised when the truth was revealed.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

At the time who would think they’d actually have the balls to fake a reunion album? IMO it was one of G&P’s biggest eff yous to the fans.
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

I was in 7th & 8th grade. I thought it was a true reunion record & I was very excited. Got psyched about the CD at the time, but it hasn’t held up for me. I rank it around 21 outta 24 studio albums.
b2b2b
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by b2b2b »

Eddie Van Hazel wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:02 am By the summer of 98, the word was getting out about who was playing on the album/who wasn't, etc.
There were stories/rumors in the KISS fanzines and on the KISS fan internet sites.
http://www.kissasylum.com/views/psychoc ... ew17.shtml ended my hopes.
Tallbear13
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Tallbear13 »

richardsimmons wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:29 am I was in 7th & 8th grade. I thought it was a true reunion record & I was very excited. Got psyched about the CD at the time, but it hasn’t held up for me. I rank it around 21 outta 24 studio albums.
Yeah I was in 8th grade when it out no clue it wasn't the original guys on it theres some good songs on there but at the time it was like hey new album from the band
And not going on the computer and reading about it no computer in the house till march 2001
Last edited by Tallbear13 on Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Put the sex in my ex
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Put the sex in my ex »

Lefting out Peter was maybe the correct choice. He sounded awful on Detroit 98. But without Ace the album never ever sounded classic Kiss. Who did they think they were going to cheat on? Got the album about 3 weeks before release and my friend immediately said someone is trying to immitate Ace.. It wasnt Cos, CN or Revenge... There was nothing Ace wasnt able to play.. Instead they brought in that second rate clown copy Ace to play... And the result... It didnt sound classic KISS.. And Bruce F was the wrong choice if he thought Within had anything to do with classic Kiss... With Ace and a more 70s sound mix, and not using that awful modern mastering, the album could have been a good one
Tito

Post by Tito »

I was fooled by the guitar work but I remember from the first listen I knew there's some funny business going on as far as the drumming went. From having seen and heard Peter's performance on the reunion tour, it was clear as day that wasn't him playing. From that to reading interviews where they were towing the party line, it was a confusing time indeed.
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

Tallbear13 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:46 am
richardsimmons wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:29 am I was in 7th & 8th grade. I thought it was a true reunion record & I was very excited. Got psyched about the CD at the time, but it hasn’t held up for me. I rank it around 21 outta 24 studio albums.
Yeah I was in 8th grade when it out no clue it wasn't the original guys on it theres some good songs on there but at the time it was like hey new album from the band
And not going on the computer and reading about it no computer in the house till march 2001
We have similar stories. Right down to Internet in home, which was junior year for me.

1998 was a short time ago, but information & knowledge traveled completely differently than today.
wjs296
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by wjs296 »

I was very hopeful that it would be a true reunion album but after the first listen I knew that it was not. It was obvious that Ace was not on many tracks and Peter even less. I was so disappointed. I can listen to it now and enjoy some of the songs but there was plenty of filler on there as well. They certainly could have taken the time to come up with better songs. It was definitely a missed opportunity for them. It was the first time that I knew the reunion wasn't going to last forever.
kenn.ace

Post by kenn.ace »

I was expecting a reunion album.
metalfuel

Post by metalfuel »

When announced I hoped for the original 4 getting things done together.
Coventry1973
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Coventry1973 »

I thought they would have all 4 original guys on it. Who would've thought they would actually pay Ace and Peter NOT to be on it....
What could've been...
I figured with all the people who saw the Reunion tour I thought this would be a gold- platinum album. How easily we're fooled with these guys.
Just do what you say, have all 4 original guys in the studio and do an album. You could fix up whatever you need to in the studio, but to have different musicians instead of Ace and Peter is a slap in the face to the fans, and to them.
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by jannep17 »

southernkiss wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:49 am When Psycho Circus was announced, was anyone expecting it to be an authentic reunion album or just Gene, Paul, and ghost players?
Strangely enough, I didn't reflect on it.
I remember when the Psycho Circus single came out. I was pleasantly surprised because it sounded somewhat like vintage Kiss. (The guitar solo sounded like Ace and the drums could at least have been Peter, nothing too fancy.)

When the album came out I was bummed because it was crap. I didn't care who played, it wasn't any good.
Tallbear13
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Tallbear13 »

richardsimmons wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:56 am
We have similar stories. Right down to Internet in home, which was junior year for me.

1998 was a short time ago, but information & knowledge traveled completely differently than today.
Yeah 98, 99, 2000, 2001 was a lot people were getting computers the internet and you had dialup but cable internet came in it was like woah moving along way faster but now its blink heres the info
Put the sex in my ex
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Coventry1973 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:15 am I thought they would have all 4 original guys on it. Who would've thought they would actually pay Ace and Peter NOT to be on it....
What could've been...
I figured with all the people who saw the Reunion tour I thought this would be a gold- platinum album. How easily we're fooled with these guys.
Just do what you say, have all 4 original guys in the studio and do an album. You could fix up whatever you need to in the studio, but to have different musicians instead of Ace and Peter is a slap in the face to the fans, and to them.
With that extremly successful Reunion tour Paul still thought it was a good idea to sound like Bon Jovi. He hired Bruce Fairbairn, wrote some Bon Jovi stuff (but forgot to hire Desmond Child and Diane Warren) but he got Holly Knight to co write... He should have used Richie Sambora instead of Tommy... That was a Big mistake Paul... Tommy didnt sound like Richie at all.. I immediately heard that this is not Richie playing. I may be stupid, but not that stupid. Try harder next time Paul
Tallbear13
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Tallbear13 »

It did go gold a month later oct 98 who knows how many its sold since then butbyou could that about all their albums since they're not recertified
Tito

Post by Tito »

What they needed to do at the time was more or less exactly what they did later on with Sonic Boom, only with the real guys. Following the reunion tour and all the '70s nostalgia pervading popular culture in the late '90s anyway, that should've been obvious to anyone, a complete no-brainer.

Doing a modern sounding mumbojumbo theme album, very little of it sounding anything like classic KISS, with session musicians shows how completely clueless everyone involved was. They missed an open goal here.
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

Tallbear13 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:35 am
richardsimmons wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:56 am

Yeah 98, 99, 2000, 2001 was a lot people were getting computers the internet and you had dialup but cable internet came in it was like woah moving along way faster but now its blink heres the info
The pace of change has been almost exponential - the first people I knew who bought PCs were maybe in the mid-90s, and it was a complete novelty to go to their house and go on "that internet thing" - who could have guessed how essential it's become? Likewise I can remember being in the States in '98 or '99, seeing a DVD player being demonstrated in a shop and wondering if it would ever take off!

As regards Psycho Circus, I remember hearing it for the first time being desperate to like it and being let down because it was just so mediocre.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Put the sex in my ex wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:47 am Lefting out Peter was maybe the correct choice. He sounded awful on Detroit 98
Bullshit -how did he sound on ITV
Put the sex in my ex
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

TwistedTaste wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:01 am
Put the sex in my ex wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:47 am Lefting out Peter was maybe the correct choice. He sounded awful on Detroit 98
I didnt say he sounded bad om ITV did I? I said he sounded awful on Detroit 98 which he did...
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Put the sex in my ex wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:11 am
I didnt say he sounded bad om ITV did I? I said he sounded awful on Detroit 98 which he did...
Yes, and then you said it was a good reason they left him off the album. In addition - DRC 98 was never officially released
Put the sex in my ex
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

TwistedTaste wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:19 am
Yes, and then you said it was a good reason they left him off the album. In addition - DRC 98 was never officially released
Peter sound good on ITV.. But how did he sound on The PC tour? Horrible.. Compare how Kiss sounded 2001with Eric Singer behind the drums... They didnt want to spend 2 extra month to get Peter on The album.. The PC tour, press conferences etc was probably booked... They hadnt the time to let Peter play... He wasnt up to standard in a AAA band... Look att his career 80-96. He wasnt really John Bonham or Mike Portnoy and not a Phil Collins either... He was the weakest link in the chain fact..
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Put the sex in my ex wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:30 am

Peter sound good on ITV.. But how did he sound on The PC tour? Horrible.. Compare how Kiss sounded 2001with Eric Singer behind the drums... They didnt want to spend 2 extra month to get Peter on The album.. The PC tour, press conferences etc was probably booked... They hadnt the time to let Peter play... He wasnt up to standard in a AAA band... Look att his career 80-96. He wasnt really John Bonham or Mike Portnoy and not a Phil Collins either... He was the weakest link in the chain fact..
Bullshit again. I for one think Peter actually improved from 96 to 98 to 2000. He sounded great on the PC tour.
That 70s Guy

Post by That 70s Guy »

I knew it would be Gene and Paul all along.

They have always done it that way.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

TwistedTaste wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:32 am

Bullshit again. I for one think Peter actually improved from 96 to 98 to 2000. He sounded great on the PC tour.
I'm a big Peter fan but he didn't sound great back then.
Put the sex in my ex
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

TwistedTaste wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:32 am

Fuck he can not even play I love it load... Are you joking? Improved, sounded great... Are you on LSD?
battra

Post by battra »

You know...

I assumed, wrongly, that with all of the information that Gene and Peter had been ghosted so much...

That there is no way in hell they'd do it again!

But they did...and they ghosted Ace too.
caligari

Post by caligari »

The first song, title cut sounded “right”.

Soon as the backwards gtr into to WITHIN started, I could tell it was Bruce and This
Alerted my Bullshit Detector.
Every song from there after I was pretty sure Ace’s only solos were INTO THE VOID and YWTB.
I pretty much went into it figuring they would replace Peter. I heard nothing that sounded like 73-74 Peter.. not that I thought he was still capable of that.
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

DRC 98 has been released twice. One version was from LA. The other was from the film Detroit Rock City. The latter was filmed in Toronto.
woodworm001
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by woodworm001 »

I was a lot more naive about who played on what back then so I thought Peter had improved, or at least got more 'aggressive' with his style. At the time I really disliked the album other than the title track, though it's grown on me a little over time.

Also, at the time I thought PC was one of Ace's best solo's ever! :)
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

woodworm001 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:47 am I was a lot more naive about who played on what back then so I thought Peter had improved, or at least got more 'aggressive' with his style. At the time I really disliked the album other than the title track, though it's grown on me a little over time.

You can purchase the audio from somewhere?
woodworm001
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by woodworm001 »

TwistedTaste wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:57 am
woodworm001 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:47 am I was a lot more naive about who played on what back then so I thought Peter had improved, or at least got more 'aggressive' with his style. At the time I really disliked the album other than the title track, though it's grown on me a little over time.

You can purchase the audio from somewhere?
:?: think I'm having a simple moment? I did buy the CD back then.
KISSFACE

Post by KISSFACE »

southernkiss wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:49 am When Psycho Circus was announced, was anyone expecting it to be an authentic reunion album or just Gene, Paul, and ghost players?
I knew long before it was announced that Peter could not be the drummer.

(Primary drummer, i should say, but that’s after the fact. At the time, i didn’t expect he’d make even a cameo on drums like he did for ITV — and i suspect that only happened because Ace was being nice.)

But whether it’s Peter on a track or Kevin Valentine dumbing it down to something Peter could maybe emulate live, the results are lethargic and not good for rock and roll.

Knowing all this, they’d have done better to bring back Anton Fig and let him just go for it again, like on Unmasked. That would be a cool reunion! (Maybe Ace brings in the Good demos from ‘95, in that case.)

But there are other problems. Ace only cameos in a few spots. Paul and Gene are on such different pages, you can’t even hear them singing backups on each other’s songs. Little things like that can help it Sound like a band effort even if it wasn’t all the original band in the room.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

southernkiss wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:17 am

DRC 98 has been released twice. One version was from LA. The other was from the film Detroit Rock City. The latter was filmed in Toronto.
What do you mean by "one version was from LA"? Are there two different versions of the reunion recording of DRC?
Much Too Soon
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Much Too Soon »

PC is a good album. Could’ve been better. They tried to shoehorn too much emotional bullshit (we are all together and one happy family etc) into it instead of just making the best album possible.

They shoulda shyt canned the following songs and included In Your Face and other outtakes.

5. "We Are One" Simmons Simmons 4:41
6. "You Wanted the Best" Simmons Simmons, Stanley, Peter Criss, Frehley 4:15
7. "Raise Your Glasses" Stanley, Knight Stanley 4:14
8. "I Finally Found My Way"
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

jannep17 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:01 pm

What do you mean by "one version was from LA"? Are there two different versions of the reunion recording of DRC?
For the year 1998, one version of DRC was recorded at Dodger Stadium and released on KISSology. For the movie Detroit Rock City, a live version of DRC was filmed around 1998/1999.
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

Much Too Soon wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:05 pm PC is a good album. Could’ve been better. They tried to shoehorn too much emotional bullshit (we are all together and one happy family etc) into it instead of just making the best album possible.

They shoulda shyt canned the following songs and included In Your Face and other outtakes.

In my opinion, Raise Your Glasses is a great song!
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

southernkiss wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:06 pm

For the year 1998, one version of DRC was recorded at Dodger Stadium and released on KISSology. For the movie Detroit Rock City, a live version of DRC was filmed around 1998/1999.
But there's also a reunion studio recording of DRC, right? I thought that was the version we talked about here? It sounds crap.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Coventry1973 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:15 am Who would've thought they would actually pay Ace and Peter NOT to be on it......... You could fix up whatever you need to in the studio, but to have different musicians instead of Ace and Peter is a slap in the face to the fans, and to them.
Yet Ace and Peter took the money, played along with it, and then did the tour for the album.
mot$$33
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by mot$$33 »

Tito wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:49 am I was fooled by the guitar work but I remember from the first listen I knew there's some funny business going on as far as the drumming went. From having seen and heard Peter's performance on the reunion tour, it was clear as day that wasn't him playing. From that to reading interviews where they were towing the party line, it was a confusing time indeed.
I was fooled as well initially. Psycho Circus sounded like Ace to me, but I knew something was up when I heard Within.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

metalfuel wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:08 am When announced I hoped for the original 4 getting things done together.
Me too
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

jannep17 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:30 pm

But there's also a reunion studio recording of DRC, right? I thought that was the version we talked about here? It sounds crap.
I was only thinking of live versions.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

southernkiss wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:07 pm
Much Too Soon wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:05 pm PC is a good album. Could’ve been better. They tried to shoehorn too much emotional bullshit (we are all together and one happy family etc) into it instead of just making the best album possible.

In my opinion, Raise Your Glasses is a great song!
Once it was likened to a Pepsi commercial the song was ruined for me.
Brewer
Banned
Banned

Post by Brewer »

southernkiss wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:04 pm
jannep17 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:30 pm

I was only thinking of live versions.
Well you’re still totally wrong because the “live” version you keep talking about from the Detroit Rock City movie was recorded in a studio. That’s what the other guy is talking about.

And whatever was released years later on KISSology doesn’t count as a live version you doofus. And even if it did, you’re still forgetting the DRC premiere party version, that was on the special features of the DVD in 1999. So that predates the KISSology release by eight years.
steveh67

Post by steveh67 »

TwistedTaste wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:17 am At the time who would think they’d actually have the balls to fake a reunion album? IMO it was one of G&P’s biggest eff yous to the fans.
It was incredibly disappointing.

They released the album on my B'day, I so rapped we were getting the original lineup recording a new album.

Then the fanbase outed it as fake, I think we discussed it on Spikes KISSARMY group for example. Hunter Goatley had left behind KISS, because he didn't like the reunion thing.
Red_Walrus
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Red_Walrus »

Never found out about ghost players until years later but didn't really bother me, pretty used to it after Dynasty, Unmasked, Creatures etc. Loved the album at the time even You Wanted the Best.
Revenge 92
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Revenge 92 »

At that time I still believrd what G and P said. So at first I thought it was a real originals album. Till I heard Within.
Put the sex in my ex
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Revenge 92 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:25 am At that time I still believrd what G and P said. So at first I thought it was a real originals album. Till I heard Within.
When Gene said that Asylum was the best album ever made, and I bought it 2 weeks later when it came out, I think it was september 1985. .. I thought King of the Mountain was good, but after hearing Any way you slice it... From that day I know that Genes mouth was spitting out a lot of Bullshit
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

It was never properly mixed/produced for release to purchase