Paul’s quote on the passing of Dusty Hill

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
NHKISSFAN
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Paul’s quote on the passing of Dusty Hill

Post by NHKISSFAN »

I’ve loved KISS forever (since I was 10 in 1976) and took tons of crap for it for many years and have laughed recently as young kids comment on KISS t shirts they think are cool. Seems the elders (pun intended) get some respect these days.
That’s why I find myself SO annoyed by my favorite rock star of all time sounding like such an a#* in most quotes these day...... Sadly Dusty Hill passed away today. I checked an NBC News article that quotes Paul “So unique. Always a gentleman from the days of us opening for them through the recent days of them opening for us”. I suppose I should know better by now than to expect a straight up, complimentary quote but really? Just disappointing.......
Julien
Whee Wan

Re: Paul’s quote on the passing of Dusty Hill

Post by Julien »

In the Suds
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by In the Suds »

I don't think he meant it in a bad way but it would be better to just say the last time we played together.
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wichita77 »

I agree with the OP. It would have actually made him look a lot better (and bigger) to take the high road and say something like..."So unique. Always a gentleman. I'll always have fond memories of touring with ZZ Top in those early days."

Oh well.

RIP Dusty. Thanks for the great music and memories.
nibbler1982
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by nibbler1982 »

Live Nation was kicking that pairing around for years. Shame it never came together. Would’ve LOVED to see that one at Jones Beach.

First time I saw ZZ Top was Nassau Coliseum 90(?) with The Black Crowes. Great band.

Shame. RIP
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

It amazes me what some people focus on.

Icon
Gentlemen
Thank you

Those are the words I saw.

RIP Dusty
poserboy71
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by poserboy71 »

Funny... when I heard the news today, I thought of the tributes that would obviously roll in and somehow knew that Paul would once again say something that puts him above someone.

As for the words people focus on, well, Paul always sneaks in those words that seem to belittle others by mentioning his success.
But Dear God, Don't call Prince an addict even when he was.
Last edited by poserboy71 on Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Funny, but when I read Paul’s quote I instantly thought that somebody here would make something out of his choice of words. Sure he could have left the them opening for us part out, but it’s ok to be proud of your own band. Maybe not the best time or place though.

Let’s not make too much out of this though. There’s a lot of great words in his tribute too. At this point we should just be happy Paul is acknowledging fellow veteran rockers passing. Better than snubbing them completely.
Last edited by Mr Slow on Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
southernkiss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by southernkiss »

I do not think anything was wrong with his Tweet. Knowing how some people on this board react, he would have received more criticism for not tweeting about Dusty.
KISSTRONAUT
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

The tweet is fine. Some KISS fans not so much.
Julien
Whee Wan

Post by Julien »

Wonder if there's a ZZ Top message board where some "fans" seem to despise their band and its members...
acefan1975
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by acefan1975 »

Thought it was a good tweet.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Mr Slow wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:06 pm Funny, but when I read Paul’s quote I instantly thought that somebody here would make something out of his choice of words. Sure he could have left the them opening for us part out, but it’s ok to be proud of your own band. Maybe not the best time or place though.

Let’s not make too much out of this though. There’s a lot of great words in his tribute too. At this point we should just be happy Paul is acknowledging fellow veteran rockers passing. Better than snubbing them completely.
Like Bob Kulick?
jmitzel

Post by jmitzel »

NHKISSFAN wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:40 pm I’ve loved KISS forever (since I was 10 in 1976) and took tons of crap for it for many years and have laughed recently as young kids comment on KISS t shirts they think are cool. Seems the elders (pun intended) get some respect these days.
That’s why I find myself SO annoyed by my favorite rock star of all time sounding like such an a#* in most quotes these day...... Sadly Dusty Hill passed away today. I checked an NBC News article that quotes Paul “So unique. Always a gentleman from the days of us opening for them through the recent days of them opening for us”. I suppose I should know better by now than to expect a straight up, complimentary quote but really? Just disappointing.......
To feel the need to “criticize” a quote, always post the ENTIRE quote. Not sure what “annoys” you about it honestly.

Thanks, Julian, for posting the entire quote/tweet.
rlivo
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by rlivo »

NHKISSFAN wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:40 pm I’ve loved KISS forever (since I was 10 in 1976) and took tons of crap for it for many years and have laughed recently as young kids comment on KISS t shirts they think are cool. Seems the elders (pun intended) get some respect these days.
I'm amazed that you read that tweet and felt compelled to start a thread topic. I'm blown away that people have that much time to feel so bothered. Why would ANYONE'S tweets, words, or actions, other than your family or significant other, carry that much significance? Especially one of an entertainer.

If the band or the personnel are so offensive to you, why bother coming to a KISS Board?
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I never understood this fascination with who's death Paul Stanley chooses to acknowledge on Twitter, or not. He didn't switch places with that person. What difference does it even make?
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Julien wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:52 pm
The exclamation points are so childlike
Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

Julien wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:09 pm Wonder if there's a ZZ Top message board where some "fans" seem to despise their band and its members...
KISS has this unique legacy that is unlike most other successful bands; the band that both inspires and nauseates.

RIP Mr. Hill, you kicked ass.
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

TwistedTaste wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:26 pm
Your focus on exclamation points is what's childlike.
69th_B1izard

Post by 69th_B1izard »

Did ZZTOP recently open for KISS? Or was that on some festival?
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

rlivo wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:25 pm
I'm amazed that you read that tweet and felt compelled to start a thread topic. I'm blown away that people have that much time to feel so bothered. Why would ANYONE'S tweets, words, or actions, other than your family or significant other, carry that much significance? Especially one of an entertainer.

If the band or the personnel are so offensive to you, why bother coming to a KISS Board?
Perhaps people are separating the art from the artist. Love the music, but dislike the human beings that make that music.
nibbler1982

Post by nibbler1982 »

69th_B1izard wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:33 pm Did ZZTOP recently open for KISS? Or was that on some festival?
This says they were “very special guests” of KISS.
0F1ADFF6-D9F8-4E23-854E-8C0004FA2909.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

Grand Classic wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:33 pm

Perhaps people are separating the art from the artist. Love the music, but dislike the human beings that make that music.
Does anyone on this board even personally know Paul or his character?
69th_B1izard

Post by 69th_B1izard »

nibbler1982 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:54 pm
69th_B1izard wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:33 pm Did ZZTOP recently open for KISS? Or was that on some festival?
This says they were “very special guests” of KISS.
0F1ADFF6-D9F8-4E23-854E-8C0004FA2909.jpeg
Forgot about that one. Thanks Nibbs!
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Why would ANYONE'S tweets, words, or actions, other than your family or significant other, carry that much significance? Especially one of an entertainer.
Because most people are crazy, brainwashed, have misplaced priorities and/or have upside-down world views.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Bruce wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:26 pm I never understood this fascination with who's death Paul Stanley chooses to acknowledge on Twitter, or not. He didn't switch places with that person. What difference does it even make?
None. Most people are just nuts.
sicksickphil

Post by sicksickphil »

In the Suds wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:55 pm I don't think he meant it in a bad way but it would be better to just say the last time we played together.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20366662
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

firekiss wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:32 pm
WOW!
Think whatever you want!
Doose

Post by Doose »

I think Paul's statement was great - respectful, reverent and Dusty-like. I think Paul can be a total pill sometimes on Twitter, but I thought this statement was totally fine.
Velvis
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Velvis »

Paul may not have meant it how it sounds to some, but I can guarantee if it was reversed and ZZ opened for Kiss back in the day and then Kiss opened for them recently, Paul would never had worded it that way.
jmitzel

Post by jmitzel »

Doose wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:26 pm I think Paul's statement was great - respectful, reverent and Dusty-like. I think Paul can be a total pill sometimes on Twitter, but I thought this statement was totally fine.
Agreed.
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wichita77 »

While I'm usually one for seeing the positive, the "opening for us" line was completely unnecessary. It made Paul look insecure to me, taking the wind out of what could have been a great post.

Paul, you are a rock star. You don't always have to push the point, especially at a time like this.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Took the words right outta my mouth. Someone here recently jokingly said “fans” will soon be attacking Paul for his grammar/diction/punctuation. Well here you go! 🙄
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

Velvis wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:34 pm Paul may not have meant it how it sounds to some, but I can guarantee if it was reversed and ZZ opened for Kiss back in the day and then Kiss opened for them recently, Paul would never had worded it that way.
That's a good point and you are absolutely right. He never ever would have said the reverse.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Mr Slow wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:55 pm
Took the words right outta my mouth. Someone here recently jokingly said “fans” will soon be attacking Paul for his grammar/diction/punctuation. Well here you go! 🙄
Exclamation points in a tweet about a death are totally inappropriate to me.

Did he use them in the tweet about his old keyboard player that just passed?
So Cruel
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by So Cruel »

It doesn’t read well at all. Paul really does come across as an asshole sometimes.
ozweepay
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by ozweepay »

The two interpretations here:

"They opened for us a long time ago. And they were still opening for us even recently, lol. I'm so much better than them."

or

"We have a long history together, going way back and even to recent times. I consider them musical brethren."
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

Does anyone here have training in clinical psychotherapy? If so, you should try to recruit Paul as a client. If you can jump to so many conclusions about his psyche from his Tweets, you could make a career out of him if he really emotionally opened up to you about how he feels about other people.

I see a psychotherapist every week. The only thing we talk about is what I have Tweeted. As a matter of fact, we do not even discuss it. I read my Tweets verbatim because they are what is in my heart and show my innermost emotions. After each session of sharing my Tweets, she gives a full psychoanalysis of my thoughts regarding jealousy, apathy/empathy toward others, and my self esteem. I told her she should use her expertise to read Paul’s Tweets and discuss them on this board.
Tail of a hurricane

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

So what am I missing here?????. He’s made a tribute to a fellow musician/freind.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

southernkiss wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:10 pm Does anyone here have training in clinical psychotherapy? If so, you should try to recruit Paul as a client. If you can jump to so many conclusions about his psyche from his Tweets, you could make a career out of him if he really emotionally opened up to you about how he feels about other people.

I see a psychotherapist every week. The only thing we talk about is what I have Tweeted. As a matter of fact, we do not even discuss it. I read my Tweets verbatim because they are what is in my heart and show my innermost emotions. After each session of sharing my Tweets, she gives a full psychoanalysis of my thoughts regarding jealousy, apathy/empathy toward others, and my self esteem. I told her she should use her expertise to read Paul’s Tweets and discuss them on this board.
To be fair, we have 50 years of countless quotes, actions and decisions he has made to get a pretty good idea as to what kind of person he is. His own book doesn't help his case either.
Kisscandinavia

Post by Kisscandinavia »

In the Suds wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:56 pm
Velvis wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:34 pm Paul may not have meant it how it sounds to some, but I can guarantee if it was reversed and ZZ opened for Kiss back in the day and then Kiss opened for them recently, Paul would never had worded it that way.
That's a good point and you are absolutely right. He never ever would have said the reverse.
True. Gene & Paul just always have to say "they opened for us"
"We toured/played together" would be much better.
banks

Post by banks »

When JR Smalling had passed away, Paul's only comment was about his own shirt in a picture Gene had posted on Twitter, so...
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

69th_B1izard

Post by 69th_B1izard »

Everyone opened for KISS except the Beatles and Led Zeppelin.
Four-Who-Are-One
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Four-Who-Are-One »

Wichita77 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:46 pm While I'm usually one for seeing the positive, the "opening for us" line was completely unnecessary. It made Paul look insecure to me, taking the wind out of what could have been a great post.

Paul, you are a rock star. You don't always have to push the point, especially at a time like this.
I concur.
Pete2174

Post by Pete2174 »

Tail of a hurricane wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:22 pm So what am I missing here?????. He’s made a tribute to a fellow musician/freind.
Cleary you (like myself) are missing the underlying tone of snark & bitterness in this tweet.
All I see is a musician paying respect to a peer & friend (It appears). But I guess my 'I hate Paul & Kiss' specs aren't working too well today.
Sinisha
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Sinisha »

Last edited by Sinisha on Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Pete2174 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:57 pm
Tail of a hurricane wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:22 pm So what am I missing here?????. He’s made a tribute to a fellow musician/freind.
Cleary you (like myself) are missing the underlying tone of snark & bitterness in this tweet.
All I see is a musician paying respect to a peer & friend (It appears). But I guess my 'I hate Paul & Kiss' specs aren't working too well today.
At this point it wouldn’t matter what Paul said. People are complaining about his exclamation marks FFS! I always go back to the Soul Station interview where Paul didn’t respond instantly to a joke about Peter playing with SS. Some here acted like Paul had murdered their Grandma! Even a non response brings the man grief from the peanut gallery these days.
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Wichita77 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:56 pm RIP Dusty. Thanks for the great music and memories.
👍🏻
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Last edited by jkiss on Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:19 am, edited 8 times in total.