I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
User avatar
peopleselbow
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2434
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:38 pm

I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by peopleselbow »

It's huge on Tik Tok, Instagram etc. for some reason !

https://www.tiktok.com/music/I-Was-Made ... e=sms&_r=1
User avatar
In the Suds
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 5491
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:29 am

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by In the Suds »

Nice.
User avatar
Bruce
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 9731
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by Bruce »

When it comes to KIϟϟ, I've come to expect ...
The Unexpected!
User avatar
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 11353
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by jannep17 »

Well it is Kiss' most well known song in the world.
User avatar
Mackemkiss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3109
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:57 pm

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by Mackemkiss »

Gene will be delighted! Oh no he hates the song :(
Well Paul at least will be proud! Ah but doesn't like it either and belittles the track :(
User avatar
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!
Posts: 29447
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:17 am

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by redinthesky »

Damn, it's in like a million videos lol, good to see. Some of those girls are adorable.

How funny that the song that chased away so many people 42 years ago is finding new life with young people online in 2021. Maybe Kiss (the real Kiss) is becoming cool once again.
User avatar
belgiankissarmy
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 11:07 am

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by belgiankissarmy »

jannep17 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:18 pm Well it is Kiss' most well known song in the world.
Exactly, by FAR their most well known song, still most people on this forum still don't get that.
User avatar
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1559
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:59 pm

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by Kissoff »

jannep17 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:18 pm Well it is Kiss' most well known song in the world.
And koolest video.
User avatar
jkiss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:59 pm

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by jkiss »

redinthesky wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:01 am Damn, it's in like a million videos lol, good to see. Some of those girls are adorable.

How funny that the song that chased away so many people 42 years ago is finding new life with young people online in 2021. Maybe Kiss (the real Kiss) is becoming cool once again.
😮 I found my twin in there or twin when I was a teenager:

laviniaachiesaa

🪞
User avatar
Tallbear13
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2322
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:38 pm
Location: Catawba NC

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by Tallbear13 »

redinthesky wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:01 am Damn, it's in like a million videos lol, good to see. Some of those girls are adorable.

How funny that the song that chased away so many people 42 years ago is finding new life with young people online in 2021. Maybe Kiss (the real Kiss) is becoming cool once again.
Yeah whats old and not cool at one time becones cool because the kids today don't know it wasn't cool and thats nit a bad thing
User avatar
BC Witch
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2450
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:10 am

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by BC Witch »

belgiankissarmy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:24 am
jannep17 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:18 pm Well it is Kiss' most well known song in the world.
Exactly, by FAR their most well known song, still most people on this forum still don't get that.
With respect, in the UK 'Crazy, Crazy Nights' and 'GGRNRTY2' are just as well known, if not more well known. That may now be changing with the current upswing for 'IWMFLY' in TikTok etc., but those others were way bigger hits at the time of release and have stayed associated with the band all this time. I think there's still a lot of people in the UK that have no idea 'IWMFLY' is a KISS song. Can't speak for the rest of the world.
User avatar
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 11353
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by jannep17 »

BC Witch wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:10 am
belgiankissarmy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:24 am
jannep17 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:18 pm Well it is Kiss' most well known song in the world.
Exactly, by FAR their most well known song, still most people on this forum still don't get that.
With respect, in the UK 'Crazy, Crazy Nights' and 'GGRNRTY2' are just as well known, if not more well known. That may now be changing with the current upswing for 'IWMFLY' in TikTok etc., but those others were way bigger hits at the time of release and have stayed associated with the band all this time. I think there's still a lot of people in the UK that have no idea 'IWMFLY' is a KISS song. Can't speak for the rest of the world.
Do you say Crazy Nights and GGRNRTY II have more plays on Spotify and Youtube than IWMFLY in the UK? Do you have the numbers? I love minutiae like this.
User avatar
BC Witch
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2450
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:10 am

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by BC Witch »

jannep17 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:25 am
BC Witch wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:10 am
belgiankissarmy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:24 am
jannep17 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:18 pm Well it is Kiss' most well known song in the world.
Exactly, by FAR their most well known song, still most people on this forum still don't get that.
With respect, in the UK 'Crazy, Crazy Nights' and 'GGRNRTY2' are just as well known, if not more well known. That may now be changing with the current upswing for 'IWMFLY' in TikTok etc., but those others were way bigger hits at the time of release and have stayed associated with the band all this time. I think there's still a lot of people in the UK that have no idea 'IWMFLY' is a KISS song. Can't speak for the rest of the world.
Do you say Crazy Nights and GGRNRTY II have more plays on Spotify and Youtube than IWMFLY in the UK? Do you have the numbers? I love minutiae like this.
That's not what I'm saying. The comment I replied to specifically said 'most well known' rather than 'most popular'. I was saying that just as many, if not more, people in the UK would recognise 'CCN' or 'GGRNRTY2' as they would 'IWMFLY' if they heard it on the radio/TV/TikTok etc.

I'm not sure what the play figures are for any KISS song in the UK but I do know that 'IWMFLY' has never been a chart hit (it only reached #50 on release and wasn't on Radio 1's daytime playlist then only got to #94 on the 2012 re-release) but both 'CCN' and 'GGRNRTY2' were top five singles.

I grew up in the UK so I remember all this happening at the time. KISS really wasn't at all well known by the average music fan until they took the make up off and started sounding like Def Leppard. 'CCN' was the first time they even entered the top 30 with a single and 'Lick It Up' was their first top 20 LP (peaking at number 7). Of course streaming and TikTok etc. will probably turn all of those figures on their heads but in terms of 'yeah I know that song', 'CCN' and 'GGRNRTY2' are definitely ahead of 'IWMFLY' or at least were until very recently.

EDIT: I just want to add that 'IWMFLY' was the first KISS song I ever heard when a friend played it to me and absolutely loved it and still do. Also, I DJ'd in a few popular London rock clubs back in the 90s and NO-ONE was playing that song until I started playing it and a few other DJs picked up on it and started playing it too. There were a few DJs in the North of England that started playing it too and it gradually seeped back into people's consciousness.
User avatar
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 11353
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by jannep17 »

BC Witch wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:21 am
jannep17 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:25 am
BC Witch wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:10 am
belgiankissarmy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:24 am

Exactly, by FAR their most well known song, still most people on this forum still don't get that.
With respect, in the UK 'Crazy, Crazy Nights' and 'GGRNRTY2' are just as well known, if not more well known. That may now be changing with the current upswing for 'IWMFLY' in TikTok etc., but those others were way bigger hits at the time of release and have stayed associated with the band all this time. I think there's still a lot of people in the UK that have no idea 'IWMFLY' is a KISS song. Can't speak for the rest of the world.
Do you say Crazy Nights and GGRNRTY II have more plays on Spotify and Youtube than IWMFLY in the UK? Do you have the numbers? I love minutiae like this.
That's not what I'm saying. The comment I replied to specifically said 'most well known' rather than 'most popular'. I was saying that just as many, if not more, people in the UK would recognise 'CCN' or 'GGRNRTY2' as they would 'IWMFLY' if they heard it on the radio/TV/TikTok etc.

I'm not sure what the play figures are for any KISS song in the UK but I do know that 'IWMFLY' has never been a chart hit (it only reached #50 on release and wasn't on Radio 1's daytime playlist then only got to #94 on the 2012 re-release) but both 'CCN' and 'GGRNRTY2' were top five singles.

I grew up in the UK so I remember all this happening at the time. KISS really wasn't at all well known by the average music fan until they took the make up off and started sounding like Def Leppard. 'CCN' was the first time they even entered the top 30 with a single and 'Lick It Up' was their first top 20 LP (peaking at number 7). Of course streaming and TikTok etc. will probably turn all of those figures on their heads but in terms of 'yeah I know that song', 'CCN' and 'GGRNRTY2' are definitely ahead of 'IWMFLY' or at least were until very recently.

EDIT: I just want to add that 'IWMFLY' was the first KISS song I ever heard when a friend played it to me and absolutely loved it and still do. Also, I DJ'd in a few popular London rock clubs back in the 90s and NO-ONE was playing that song until I started playing it and a few other DJs picked up on it and started playing it too. There were a few DJs in the North of England that started playing it too and it gradually seeped back into people's consciousness.
Just curious, I like statistics about Kiss.
User avatar
jkiss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:59 pm

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by jkiss »

BC Witch wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:21 am
jannep17 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:25 am
BC Witch wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:10 am
belgiankissarmy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:24 am

Exactly, by FAR their most well known song, still most people on this forum still don't get that.
With respect, in the UK 'Crazy, Crazy Nights' and 'GGRNRTY2' are just as well known, if not more well known. That may now be changing with the current upswing for 'IWMFLY' in TikTok etc., but those others were way bigger hits at the time of release and have stayed associated with the band all this time. I think there's still a lot of people in the UK that have no idea 'IWMFLY' is a KISS song. Can't speak for the rest of the world.
Do you say Crazy Nights and GGRNRTY II have more plays on Spotify and Youtube than IWMFLY in the UK? Do you have the numbers? I love minutiae like this.
That's not what I'm saying. The comment I replied to specifically said 'most well known' rather than 'most popular'. I was saying that just as many, if not more, people in the UK would recognise 'CCN' or 'GGRNRTY2' as they would 'IWMFLY' if they heard it on the radio/TV/TikTok etc.

I'm not sure what the play figures are for any KISS song in the UK but I do know that 'IWMFLY' has never been a chart hit (it only reached #50 on release and wasn't on Radio 1's daytime playlist then only got to #94 on the 2012 re-release) but both 'CCN' and 'GGRNRTY2' were top five singles.

I grew up in the UK so I remember all this happening at the time. KISS really wasn't at all well known by the average music fan until they took the make up off and started sounding like Def Leppard. 'CCN' was the first time they even entered the top 30 with a single and 'Lick It Up' was their first top 20 LP (peaking at number 7). Of course streaming and TikTok etc. will probably turn all of those figures on their heads but in terms of 'yeah I know that song', 'CCN' and 'GGRNRTY2' are definitely ahead of 'IWMFLY' or at least were until very recently.

EDIT: I just want to add that 'IWMFLY' was the first KISS song I ever heard when a friend played it to me and absolutely loved it and still do. Also, I DJ'd in a few popular London rock clubs back in the 90s and NO-ONE was playing that song until I started playing it and a few other DJs picked up on it and started playing it too. There were a few DJs in the North of England that started playing it too and it gradually seeped back into people's consciousness.
One thing I was totally oblivious to was CCN being a big hit in the UK. And when I was listening to Julian's own account & about how he couldn't go practically anywhere without hearing it ...I was actually 'shocked'.

I guess I must've missed an issue of "METAL EDGE" or two, even three.

😮
User avatar
ZachAttack
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3308
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:09 am
Location: Branvold's Head

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by ZachAttack »

I will NEVER go to school
User avatar
Tito
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8125
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:36 am
Location: Shady side of town.

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by Tito »

ZachAttack wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:02 am I will NEVER go to school
You are bad, Phil.
User avatar
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!
Posts: 29447
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:17 am

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by redinthesky »

jkiss wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:21 am
redinthesky wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:01 am Damn, it's in like a million videos lol, good to see. Some of those girls are adorable.

How funny that the song that chased away so many people 42 years ago is finding new life with young people online in 2021. Maybe Kiss (the real Kiss) is becoming cool once again.
😮 I found my twin in there or twin when I was a teenager:

laviniaachiesaa

🪞

:roll:
User avatar
jkiss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:59 pm

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by jkiss »

redinthesky wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:14 am
jkiss wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:21 am
redinthesky wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:01 am Damn, it's in like a million videos lol, good to see. Some of those girls are adorable.

How funny that the song that chased away so many people 42 years ago is finding new life with young people online in 2021. Maybe Kiss (the real Kiss) is becoming cool once again.
😮 I found my twin in there or twin when I was a teenager:

laviniaachiesaa

🪞

:roll:
Save it. 💣
User avatar
Going Blind
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1802
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:21 pm

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by Going Blind »

Why can't Strange Ways go viral? Much better song.
User avatar
Put the sex in my ex
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 953
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:16 am
Location: Pauls secret closet

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by Put the sex in my ex »

Mackemkiss wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:40 pm Gene will be delighted! Oh no he hates the song :(
Well Paul at least will be proud! Ah but doesn't like it either and belittles the track :(
IF Gene hates it its probably good or beyond great .. He can write 1 million demos and 99.99% sucks... If you pick a song like Boomerang for The album and think its a good move you probably dont have a clue of What is good and whats worthless shit... The albums with outside producers always had higher standard cause Bert is also living in i Pink bubble.. You need an outside ear.. At least Paul is one of the most talanted song writers ever(my opinion). But thats not making him a good producer... SB, Monster, Asylum and Hits are The bottom 4 album... You dont have to be a genius to understand that Boomerang, Outta this world, Danger us, Any way you slice it are worthless piece of crap.. Its a shame anyone ever heard them.. And putting them on an album is catastrophic...
User avatar
ZachAttack
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3308
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:09 am
Location: Branvold's Head

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by ZachAttack »

Tito wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:14 am
ZachAttack wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:02 am I will NEVER go to school
You are bad, Phil.
look at my hand, look at my arm, look at my leg, look at my guitar
User avatar
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 11353
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by jannep17 »

ZachAttack wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:02 am I will NEVER go to school
:lol:
User avatar
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 11353
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by jannep17 »

ZachAttack wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:02 am I will NEVER go to school
I like this one as well, while not nearly as brilliant.

Jasper
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:58 am

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by Jasper »

jkiss wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:44 am
BC Witch wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:21 am
jannep17 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:25 am
BC Witch wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:10 am

With respect, in the UK 'Crazy, Crazy Nights' and 'GGRNRTY2' are just as well known, if not more well known. That may now be changing with the current upswing for 'IWMFLY' in TikTok etc., but those others were way bigger hits at the time of release and have stayed associated with the band all this time. I think there's still a lot of people in the UK that have no idea 'IWMFLY' is a KISS song. Can't speak for the rest of the world.
Do you say Crazy Nights and GGRNRTY II have more plays on Spotify and Youtube than IWMFLY in the UK? Do you have the numbers? I love minutiae like this.
That's not what I'm saying. The comment I replied to specifically said 'most well known' rather than 'most popular'. I was saying that just as many, if not more, people in the UK would recognise 'CCN' or 'GGRNRTY2' as they would 'IWMFLY' if they heard it on the radio/TV/TikTok etc.

I'm not sure what the play figures are for any KISS song in the UK but I do know that 'IWMFLY' has never been a chart hit (it only reached #50 on release and wasn't on Radio 1's daytime playlist then only got to #94 on the 2012 re-release) but both 'CCN' and 'GGRNRTY2' were top five singles.

I grew up in the UK so I remember all this happening at the time. KISS really wasn't at all well known by the average music fan until they took the make up off and started sounding like Def Leppard. 'CCN' was the first time they even entered the top 30 with a single and 'Lick It Up' was their first top 20 LP (peaking at number 7). Of course streaming and TikTok etc. will probably turn all of those figures on their heads but in terms of 'yeah I know that song', 'CCN' and 'GGRNRTY2' are definitely ahead of 'IWMFLY' or at least were until very recently.

EDIT: I just want to add that 'IWMFLY' was the first KISS song I ever heard when a friend played it to me and absolutely loved it and still do. Also, I DJ'd in a few popular London rock clubs back in the 90s and NO-ONE was playing that song until I started playing it and a few other DJs picked up on it and started playing it too. There were a few DJs in the North of England that started playing it too and it gradually seeped back into people's consciousness.
One thing I was totally oblivious to was CCN being a big hit in the UK. And when I was listening to Julian's own account & about how he couldn't go practically anywhere without hearing it ...I was actually 'shocked'.

I guess I must've missed an issue of "METAL EDGE" or two, even three.

😮
Pretty sure it peaked at no 3 or 4 over here in the singles charts. There was even a performance 'satellited' in for Top of the Pops - I remember sitting there, remote in hand to record it !
User avatar
Kissologist
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 13285
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:35 am

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by Kissologist »

What an IWMFLY Tik Tok challenge will be like? :?:
acesmiddlefinger
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 2704
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:35 pm
Location: 4000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by acesmiddlefinger »

BC Witch wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:10 am
belgiankissarmy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:24 am
jannep17 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:18 pm Well it is Kiss' most well known song in the world.
Exactly, by FAR their most well known song, still most people on this forum still don't get that.
With respect, in the UK 'Crazy, Crazy Nights' and 'GGRNRTY2' are just as well known, if not more well known. That may now be changing with the current upswing for 'IWMFLY' in TikTok etc., but those others were way bigger hits at the time of release and have stayed associated with the band all this time. I think there's still a lot of people in the UK that have no idea 'IWMFLY' is a KISS song. Can't speak for the rest of the world.
Crazy Crazy shites is probably more well known to the casual rock fan in the UK. But for some reason IWMFLY seems to be getting a bit of love lately over here. It has been played a couple of times on Radio 2 by Ken Bruce and featured in a couple of adverts in the last couple of years. It's Currently being used on a McDonald's advert in the UK. My work colleagues wind me up all the time with the song because they know its not a favourite of mine.
Wherever you watch KISS in Europe the crowd go mental when IWMFLY is played, really seems to resonate with the mainland Europeans
User avatar
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 11353
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by jannep17 »

IWMFLY is for Kiss like Sledgehammer is for Peter Gabriel. Neither Kiss nor Gabriel did something similar ever again and their regular style is nothing like it.

In Gabriel's case it almost backfired. I sat through a concert with him in Stockholm when the audience could have been asleep, until they played Sledgehammer and they everyone was on their feet.
acesmiddlefinger
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 2704
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:35 pm
Location: 4000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by acesmiddlefinger »

jannep17 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:28 am IWMFLY is for Kiss like Sledgehammer is for Peter Gabriel. Neither Kiss nor Gabriel did something similar ever again and their regular style is nothing like it.

In Gabriel's case it almost backfired. I sat through a concert with him in Stockholm when the audience could have been asleep, until they played Sledgehammer and they everyone was on their feet.
I've always found it puzzling at concerts how the crowd react to certain songs. I suppose it happens with every band. You go to see Bryan Adams and the crowd lose their minds to Summer of 69 and yet there are much better songs that are played which received lukewarm reception. Europe with Final Countdown, Bon Jovi with LOAP, Foreigner with IWTKWLI, Journey with DSB are other examples. Really grinds my gears!! I'm turning into a grumpy old man.
User avatar
Tito
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8125
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:36 am
Location: Shady side of town.

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by Tito »

ZachAttack wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:20 am
Tito wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:14 am
ZachAttack wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:02 am I will NEVER go to school
You are bad, Phil.
look at my hand, look at my arm, look at my leg, look at my guitar
Fit your pants!
User avatar
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Posts: 11353
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by jannep17 »

acesmiddlefinger wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:01 am
jannep17 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:28 am IWMFLY is for Kiss like Sledgehammer is for Peter Gabriel. Neither Kiss nor Gabriel did something similar ever again and their regular style is nothing like it.

In Gabriel's case it almost backfired. I sat through a concert with him in Stockholm when the audience could have been asleep, until they played Sledgehammer and they everyone was on their feet.
I've always found it puzzling at concerts how the crowd react to certain songs. I suppose it happens with every band. You go to see Bryan Adams and the crowd lose their minds to Summer of 69 and yet there are much better songs that are played which received lukewarm reception. Europe with Final Countdown, Bon Jovi with LOAP, Foreigner with IWTKWLI, Journey with DSB are other examples. Really grinds my gears!! I'm turning into a grumpy old man.
For some people it's "the hit" or nothing.
User avatar
Tommyr
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 8710
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:48 am
Location: NY

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by Tommyr »

Shit in a shoe and call it socks.
User avatar
moshpitwookie
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:14 am

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by moshpitwookie »

jkiss wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:44 am
I guess I must've missed an issue of "METAL EDGE" or two, even three.

😮
'Circus' was much better.
User avatar
Marc Aze
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:57 am

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by Marc Aze »

all these videos are very strange.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thayerscomet
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:26 pm

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by Thayerscomet »

Because i was made for loving you is hands down the biggest song kiss ever had its not even close .youtube,instigram,ect.. worldwide charts, sales, its 100 times bigger then any other song kiss has ever recorded
User avatar
ACESTATION
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 2921
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:15 pm

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by ACESTATION »

Younger listeners in 2021 had no idea a singer could reach that high of a pitch in a song. It was higher than even Micheal Jackson later on and they realize this singer still is performing.
User avatar
BC Witch
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2450
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:10 am

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by BC Witch »

Jasper wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:32 am
jkiss wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:44 am
BC Witch wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:21 am
jannep17 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:25 am

Do you say Crazy Nights and GGRNRTY II have more plays on Spotify and Youtube than IWMFLY in the UK? Do you have the numbers? I love minutiae like this.
That's not what I'm saying. The comment I replied to specifically said 'most well known' rather than 'most popular'. I was saying that just as many, if not more, people in the UK would recognise 'CCN' or 'GGRNRTY2' as they would 'IWMFLY' if they heard it on the radio/TV/TikTok etc.

I'm not sure what the play figures are for any KISS song in the UK but I do know that 'IWMFLY' has never been a chart hit (it only reached #50 on release and wasn't on Radio 1's daytime playlist then only got to #94 on the 2012 re-release) but both 'CCN' and 'GGRNRTY2' were top five singles.

I grew up in the UK so I remember all this happening at the time. KISS really wasn't at all well known by the average music fan until they took the make up off and started sounding like Def Leppard. 'CCN' was the first time they even entered the top 30 with a single and 'Lick It Up' was their first top 20 LP (peaking at number 7). Of course streaming and TikTok etc. will probably turn all of those figures on their heads but in terms of 'yeah I know that song', 'CCN' and 'GGRNRTY2' are definitely ahead of 'IWMFLY' or at least were until very recently.

EDIT: I just want to add that 'IWMFLY' was the first KISS song I ever heard when a friend played it to me and absolutely loved it and still do. Also, I DJ'd in a few popular London rock clubs back in the 90s and NO-ONE was playing that song until I started playing it and a few other DJs picked up on it and started playing it too. There were a few DJs in the North of England that started playing it too and it gradually seeped back into people's consciousness.
One thing I was totally oblivious to was CCN being a big hit in the UK. And when I was listening to Julian's own account & about how he couldn't go practically anywhere without hearing it ...I was actually 'shocked'.

I guess I must've missed an issue of "METAL EDGE" or two, even three.

😮
Pretty sure it peaked at no 3 or 4 over here in the singles charts. There was even a performance 'satellited' in for Top of the Pops - I remember sitting there, remote in hand to record it !
Number 4! It was really weird for me because I'd been into KISS since 1980 and suddenly all the kids at school were like 'yeah, I'm into KISS now!' having never even heard a note by them til 'CCN' was a hit. In fact rock becoming big in the mainstream as genre was a real curveball for me. I grew up into KISS, AC/DC, Sabbath, first album Bon Jovi and all the other kids were 'who the fk are these weird bands you're into? We've never heard of them' then post Slippery When Wet every kid in school suddenly liked 'rock'. To be honest I hated it! Suddenly everyone had a copy of Hysteria or The Final Countdown.
User avatar
BC Witch
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2450
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:10 am

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by BC Witch »

jannep17 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:36 am
acesmiddlefinger wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:01 am
jannep17 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:28 am IWMFLY is for Kiss like Sledgehammer is for Peter Gabriel. Neither Kiss nor Gabriel did something similar ever again and their regular style is nothing like it.

In Gabriel's case it almost backfired. I sat through a concert with him in Stockholm when the audience could have been asleep, until they played Sledgehammer and they everyone was on their feet.
I've always found it puzzling at concerts how the crowd react to certain songs. I suppose it happens with every band. You go to see Bryan Adams and the crowd lose their minds to Summer of 69 and yet there are much better songs that are played which received lukewarm reception. Europe with Final Countdown, Bon Jovi with LOAP, Foreigner with IWTKWLI, Journey with DSB are other examples. Really grinds my gears!! I'm turning into a grumpy old man.
For some people it's "the hit" or nothing.
I find it hilarious when a band starts playing their 'hits' and the crowd doesn't react until the vocalist sings the first line, then the crowd suddenly realises what it is...
User avatar
BC Witch
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2450
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:10 am

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by BC Witch »

acesmiddlefinger wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:19 am
BC Witch wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:10 am
belgiankissarmy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:24 am
jannep17 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:18 pm Well it is Kiss' most well known song in the world.
Exactly, by FAR their most well known song, still most people on this forum still don't get that.
With respect, in the UK 'Crazy, Crazy Nights' and 'GGRNRTY2' are just as well known, if not more well known. That may now be changing with the current upswing for 'IWMFLY' in TikTok etc., but those others were way bigger hits at the time of release and have stayed associated with the band all this time. I think there's still a lot of people in the UK that have no idea 'IWMFLY' is a KISS song. Can't speak for the rest of the world.
Crazy Crazy shites is probably more well known to the casual rock fan in the UK. But for some reason IWMFLY seems to be getting a bit of love lately over here. It has been played a couple of times on Radio 2 by Ken Bruce and featured in a couple of adverts in the last couple of years. It's Currently being used on a McDonald's advert in the UK. My work colleagues wind me up all the time with the song because they know its not a favourite of mine.
Wherever you watch KISS in Europe the crowd go mental when IWMFLY is played, really seems to resonate with the mainland Europeans
I actually love 'IWMFLY' (it was the first KISS song I ever heard) but I'm pretty indifferent/passively aggressive toward 'CCN'. I find, in general, USA fans are really shocked when they discover KISS's trajectory in the UK - i.e. pretty much unknown to the mainstream until Lick It Up was released (got to number 7 on the album charts!) and then peaked with 'CCN' and 'GGRNRTY2' (both reaching number 4 on the singles charts). 'IWMFLY' was never a hit or on the radio back in 1979/1980.

It's pretty amazing that the band can currently fill big arenas in the UK when the fans only know about half of the songs. I guess they all have a 'greatest hits' and maybe Destroyer or ALIVE!.
User avatar
BC Witch
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2450
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:10 am

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by BC Witch »

jannep17 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:35 am
BC Witch wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:21 am
jannep17 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:25 am
BC Witch wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:10 am

With respect, in the UK 'Crazy, Crazy Nights' and 'GGRNRTY2' are just as well known, if not more well known. That may now be changing with the current upswing for 'IWMFLY' in TikTok etc., but those others were way bigger hits at the time of release and have stayed associated with the band all this time. I think there's still a lot of people in the UK that have no idea 'IWMFLY' is a KISS song. Can't speak for the rest of the world.
Do you say Crazy Nights and GGRNRTY II have more plays on Spotify and Youtube than IWMFLY in the UK? Do you have the numbers? I love minutiae like this.
That's not what I'm saying. The comment I replied to specifically said 'most well known' rather than 'most popular'. I was saying that just as many, if not more, people in the UK would recognise 'CCN' or 'GGRNRTY2' as they would 'IWMFLY' if they heard it on the radio/TV/TikTok etc.

I'm not sure what the play figures are for any KISS song in the UK but I do know that 'IWMFLY' has never been a chart hit (it only reached #50 on release and wasn't on Radio 1's daytime playlist then only got to #94 on the 2012 re-release) but both 'CCN' and 'GGRNRTY2' were top five singles.

I grew up in the UK so I remember all this happening at the time. KISS really wasn't at all well known by the average music fan until they took the make up off and started sounding like Def Leppard. 'CCN' was the first time they even entered the top 30 with a single and 'Lick It Up' was their first top 20 LP (peaking at number 7). Of course streaming and TikTok etc. will probably turn all of those figures on their heads but in terms of 'yeah I know that song', 'CCN' and 'GGRNRTY2' are definitely ahead of 'IWMFLY' or at least were until very recently.

EDIT: I just want to add that 'IWMFLY' was the first KISS song I ever heard when a friend played it to me and absolutely loved it and still do. Also, I DJ'd in a few popular London rock clubs back in the 90s and NO-ONE was playing that song until I started playing it and a few other DJs picked up on it and started playing it too. There were a few DJs in the North of England that started playing it too and it gradually seeped back into people's consciousness.
Just curious, I like statistics about Kiss.
Statistics is my weak point! For some reason my brain retains all kinds of useless knowledge about rock music but sales figures never stick!
User avatar
Sam
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 2600
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:21 am
Location: Far Out West

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by Sam »

jannep17 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:36 amFor some people it's "the hit" or nothing.
I remember a Ratt concert in the 80's right after Out of the Cellar came out, so of course Round And Round was saved for the encore. At the end of the main set they said goodnight, and these people in the row in front of me were all like "What? They're not even going to play R&R? WTF!?!?!". They really thought they were ending the concert without playing their big hit and freaked out.
User avatar
Miss Kitty
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:45 pm

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by Miss Kitty »

Well I wasn't around when it first came out so maybe it was more popular than I thought. But it's like Beth - I must be the only person who likes these two songs. And I like a lot of the knock offs of IWMFLY. There's a guitar solo and an all woman Mexican band in makeup doing the song that I particularly like.
eisen
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:18 am

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by eisen »

A good song is a good song. If its your taste or not. Great they appeal to the youth. I see it in my nephews. They enjoy the band too!!
User avatar
curryleaf
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:13 am

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by curryleaf »

BC Witch wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:41 am It's pretty amazing that the band can currently fill big arenas in the UK when the fans only know about half of the songs. I guess they all have a 'greatest hits' and maybe Destroyer or ALIVE!.
I'm not sure that's strictly the case. The shows I've been to, the vast majority of people seem to know pretty much all the songs.

The days of people buying tickets to see Kiss due to their 'hits' is obviously long gone, I think most in the UK audience these days are fairly hardcore Kiss fans.

And, let's face it, even if they do only have Alive! and Destroyer, that means they know 90% of the set list...
User avatar
BC Witch
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2450
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:10 am

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by BC Witch »

curryleaf wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:23 am
BC Witch wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:41 am It's pretty amazing that the band can currently fill big arenas in the UK when the fans only know about half of the songs. I guess they all have a 'greatest hits' and maybe Destroyer or ALIVE!.
I'm not sure that's strictly the case. The shows I've been to, the vast majority of people seem to know pretty much all the songs.

The days of people buying tickets to see Kiss due to their 'hits' is obviously long gone, I think most in the UK audience these days are fairly hardcore Kiss fans.

And, let's face it, even if they do only have Alive! and Destroyer, that means they know 90% of the set list...
That's true! I forget sometimes that KISS are a 'live album setlist' band rather than a 'hit single setlist' band. My post wasn't meant to be detracting of the current fanbase, I was more thinking that back when I got into the band in the UK it was actually pretty hard to track down all the LPs and most people I've met subsequently who like KISS don't own all of them. Also, I've seen many a big arena show where the majority of the audience only knows some of the stuff (even at Prince and Duran Duran shows) so just assumed the current KISS audience was similar. Not that there's anything wrong with that! People can buy/listen to whatever they want and buy tickets to see whatever they want.
User avatar
curryleaf
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:13 am

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by curryleaf »

BC Witch wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:45 amAlso, I've seen many a big arena show where the majority of the audience only knows some of the stuff (even at Prince and Duran Duran shows) so just assumed the current KISS audience was similar.
Yes, I've had similar experiences. I think you're right that the same applied back on the Crazy Nights UK tour.
User avatar
wjs296
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:15 am

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by wjs296 »

It is great to see the song get attention in 2021. I always thought it was better than most people gave it credit for at the time. Kiss was already on the decline and the disco angle was another nail in the closing coffin. For me, the only issue I have with it is the falsetto vocals. I never liked when Paul did it, The Oath is another example. I thought it stripped all the balls out of it.
User avatar
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned
Posts: 1340
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:42 am

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by TwistedTaste »

“ I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !”

Like a bad case of VD :D
User avatar
lord71
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3730
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:53 am
Location: Mars

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by lord71 »

belgiankissarmy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:24 am
jannep17 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:18 pm Well it is Kiss' most well known song in the world.
Exactly, by FAR their most well known song, still most people on this forum still don't get that.
In the late eighties (1986-1989ish), for some reason the british Music Box (Later 'Super channel') and Sky channel did play a lot 'Sure Know Something', 'A World Without Heroes' and 'Shandi' videos @ 'Monsters of Rock' (Sky channel) and Power Hour (Super channel), but I very rarely or NEVER saw IWMFLY video.
User avatar
UltraCynic
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1811
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 8:48 am
Location: Necropolis

Re: I Was Made For Loving You is Going Viral !

Post by UltraCynic »

ACESTATION wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:34 pm Younger listeners in 2021 had no idea a singer could reach that high of a pitch in a song. It was higher than even Micheal Jackson later on and they realize this singer still is performing.
Still performing, but not actually singing.