Nothing beats the Mystique!

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
KissRMe4life
Banned
Banned

Nothing beats the Mystique!

Post by KissRMe4life »

I was a fan primarily of the 79-82 era of KISS… mostly because that’s when I grew up and was around nine years old. Sitting and looking at the record albums all day while playing the records on my little suitcase record player, wondering what they look like, fantasizing about the lives they lead under the make up. It was quite an exciting time to be a fan. I know many are not a fan of the musical output from this time, But it’s some of my favorite stuff from them, maybe I’m just a sucker for pop rock kiss.

I just wanted to give some love for this era of the band. Anyone else?
southernkiss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: Nothing beats the Mystique!

Post by southernkiss »

I enjoy Dynasty, Unmasked, the Elder, and COTN. While it is not my favorite era, it is an underrated era that deserves more praise than it gets.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

The hidden identities angle was a masterstroke, marketing-wise. It gave them a level of "otherness" compared to any other band.
StrangestWay
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by StrangestWay »

Some have called that period directionless, but for me there's value in the searching. The fact that I love Dynasty, Unmasked, The Elder and Creatures, with very few reservations, and continue to love those albums decades after release, is why this era is as interesting (and listenable) as the stuff that came before it. As great as '73-'78 is, they can't stay on auto pilot. True artists change. I like Kiss trying on new skins. (Rather than the treadmill they've been running for the past 20+ years)
Soylent Gene

Post by Soylent Gene »

TheSpoiler wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:25 am The hidden identities angle was a masterstroke, marketing-wise. It gave them a level of "otherness" compared to any other band.
Agreed.
C
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by C »

total marketing masters!
gothunder
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by gothunder »

Nope.
pete1699
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by pete1699 »

Same situation for me also. Became hooked in 79 and I continue to have a great love for that era and the different paths they took.
FlamingRuth

Post by FlamingRuth »

Nothing beats the mystique is right!
The music, makeup, costumes, fire & blood were always awesome, but the mystery of not knowing who those guys really were underneath it all added another whole dimension to being a Kiss fan in the 70's.

It's not something I can describe to anyone who didn't live through it---and believe me, I've tried. I have grown kids who love Kiss almost as much as I do, even to the point that they appreciate old Kiss Krap I hand down to them, but the one thing I can't give them is that experience...the mystique.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

southernkiss wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:24 am I enjoy Dynasty, Unmasked, the Elder, and COTN. While it is not my favorite era, it is an underrated era that deserves more praise than it gets.
Era 1: KISS through Alive!
Era 2: Destroyer through Double Platinum
Era 3: Solo albums through Unmasked
Era 4: The Elder through Creatures

I love all four. Era 3 is without a doubt the most underrated. Six very interesting, very solid albums, imo.
Coventry1973
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Coventry1973 »

FlamingRuth wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:02 am Nothing beats the mystique is right!
The music, makeup, costumes, fire & blood were always awesome, but the mystery of not knowing who those guys really were underneath it all added another whole dimension to being a Kiss fan in the 70's.

It's not something I can describe to anyone who didn't live through it---and believe me, I've tried. I have grown kids who love Kiss almost as much as I do, even to the point that they appreciate old Kiss Krap I hand down to them, but the one thing I can't give them is that experience...the mystique.
That whole time period was fantastic.
Now they wouldn't be able to do anything at all with all the cell phones out there, or drones taking photos. Thankfully they weren't around in the 70's.
And if anyone did take photos, JR or Big John would buy their film, or persuade them to hand it over....
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

1979-1982 is my absolute favourite period. I had followed them since Alive! came out, but right before Dynasty came out I became obsessed. Those years were great (and a rollercoaster at the same time).

Peter leaving, Eric coming in. The Elder... Killers with the four new songs and then COTN.

I want a "Bootleg Series" covering 1979-1982.
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

FlamingRuth wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:02 am Nothing beats the mystique is right!

Yes, the fact they were hiding something like their actual identities & faces from me, was a like a carrot on a stick to a rabbit.

I personally can't resist that sort of thing, I 'have' to know.

🐰🥕