Blue Oyster Cult drummer says KISS’ Gene Simmons is a “jerk”

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: Blue Oyster Cult drummer says KISS’ Gene Simmons is a “jerk”

Post by Kissoff »

Doose wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:21 am Is there anyone who has actually achieved MORE than Gene and Paul that has bad-mouthed them?
Excellent point.
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

Doose wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:21 am Is there anyone who has actually achieved MORE than Gene and Paul that has bad-mouthed them?
To be fair, if an interviewer lands an interview with hugely successful musicians, he's probably not gonna be asking them about Kiss unless there's some direct connection (like they once opened, etc). And most very successful musicians don't feel the need to put down others (like G&P do actually).

But if Steven Tyler counts, maybe him calling Kiss a "cartoon band" can be considered bad-mouthing.

If Carlos Santana counts, the time he said "KISS is Las Vegas entertainment. A musician doesn't need the mask."

I remember Kevin DuBrow saying "one Kiss is enough" when asked about Kiss's influence on other bands. I know QR isn't as successful as Kiss but they did have a #1 album.

Or maybe when Eddie Van Halen lamented in the 90s I believe how can anyone say Ace inspired them to pick up a guitar (as opposed to him anymore). He was miffed that bands at that time all cited Kiss as an influence and not Van Halen.
Grand Classic
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Grand Classic »

redinthesky wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:35 pm
To be fair, if an interviewer lands an interview with hugely successful musicians, he's probably not gonna be asking them about Kiss unless there's some direct connection (like they once opened, etc). And most very successful musicians don't feel the need to put down others (like G&P do actually).

But if Steven Tyler counts, maybe him calling Kiss a "cartoon band" can be considered bad-mouthing.

If Carlos Santana counts, the time he said "KISS is Las Vegas entertainment. A musician doesn't need the mask."

I remember Kevin DuBrow saying "one Kiss is enough" when asked about Kiss's influence on other bands. I know QR isn't as successful as Kiss but they did have a #1 album.

Or maybe when Eddie Van Halen lamented in the 90s I believe how anyone can say Ace inspired them to pick up a guitar (as opposed to him anymore).
Absolutely right. Also if they have far surpassed KISS, then KISS is probably insignificant in their mind and probably don't respect them much anyway.

I would say that you are also going to get more honesty from people were there in the beginning and maybe were treated badly. It's certainly not unbelievable given what we know about Paul and Gene.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

I posted a video of this a little bit ago. I don't remember when exactly and search is impossible here but it's all very good natured. He's just relating a funny story or two. Obviously no malice or bitterness or anything on his part.
jkiss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by jkiss »

southernkiss wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:56 pm
jkiss wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:02 pm
Anomaly wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:17 am Only new thing I learned was BOC had some weird roadies.
One BOC roadie/tech saved my life from being electrocuted (circa 1976, wandering around on the KISS "Destroyer" stage). He told me I was very lucky I had a nice ass & he had his eye on me the entire time. And because if he didn't, I'd probably been zapped to death. I still got a really good zap, regardless.

It felt like 1000s of electrified needles stabbing me, but mostly concentrated in my hand & up my arm.

⚡😵
How did you manage to get on the stage?
My cousin knew someone on the crew (or even just helping them, that time) & she told me to follow her up onto the stage (corner) to talk with these guys. I wandered-off, plus of course, I couldn't resist & just had to touch something.

After I got zapped, everyone was like you better just get going. And I felt really stupid, plus I was fine. Within minutes, back to feeling just as I did before getting zapped. The roadie was very fast to stop it. I also felt 'frozen' when getting zapped, so it was like there was nothing I could do to get myself away. Someone had to intervene.

I can't remember if this was before BOC played or after (maybe before); although, all KISS' stage was pretty much completely setup. Plus, this was my second "Destroyer" show (I hitchhiked there), so I was aware what the new stage was already. Quite a few things were still covered-up, but somethings weren't that couldn't be.

😅
Last edited by jkiss on Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
detroit_01
Banned
Banned

Post by detroit_01 »

lol... i got kicked out of the backstage area for eating from the deli tray... lol...