What Is The Best KISS Studio Album Creatively And Musically?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: What Is The Best KISS Studio Album Creatively And Musically?

Post by Wichita77 »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:42 pm
TO BE COMPARED WITH THE BEST FROM OTHER BANDS. Why are you and others ignoring this?

You would be laughed out of the fucking room if you used COS to challenge the best of Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones and other bands. Literally laughed at and they would point out to you that it sounds like bad Alice In Chains.
The problem here is the title of this thread asks one question while the following post asks a different question.

To your title question:
Like it or not, COS is a musical and creative high point for KISS in the eyes of many people. Me included. As I think about it, it may even eclipse Destroyer as Ezrin drove the creativity and musicality of Destroyer, whereas COS was more organically created with band personnel.

To your second question:
Does ANY KISS album hold up agains the best of Zepplin from a creative/musical standpoint? Of course not. Silly question IMO. I imagine most of us wouldn't put KISS over Zepplin in terms of musical significance, any more than we'd put Zep over Mozart.

A great follow-up question would be... Was KISS more fun than Led Zepplin and the Stones? Fuck yes, by a long ways IMO anyway.

Most KISS fans came to the party because they were the best at being the most fun. For us, it was a package deal... a great show, irreverent music, and anthems to individuality.... not Babe I'm gonna Leave You, When the Levee Breaks, and Stairway to Heaven. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Zepplin and I love KISS but to me me they might as well be in separate genres as they serve two different purposes in my life.

Sometimes you want a Whole Lotta Love, and sometimes you need to go to Detroit Rock City.
Anomaly
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by Anomaly »

Bandit1974 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:39 pm
Anomaly wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:33 pm If the entire creative goal when entering the writing/recording process is to ape an entire sub-genre to grasp to relevancy, I don't see how that could be viewed as a creative best.
You enter with that simple idea in mind, but then you end up with something much more unique and creative to call your own when you exit. This is what an artist does.

In the case of Carnival of Souls, KISS accidentally crapped out their most creative and musically best album of their career.
Carnival of Souls wasn't the work of artists (because I'm imagining you all saying this straight-faced with a long e), it was the work of opportunists. To my ears, CoS is a collection of tuneless dreck. Am I supposed to give them kudos for that?

I don't look at Soul Station and think this is somehow Paul Stanley's creative zenith... are you all doing that?
In the Suds
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by In the Suds »

Mr Slow wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:29 pm
Bandit1974 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:10 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:05 pm You do understand that KISS is generally a meat and potatoes cock rock band, right? COS is the direct opposite of what KISS is supposed to be - no matter how deep and sophisticated you think it is. KISS isn't supposed to be that in their latest attempt at the time to shamelessly trend hop.
I can agree with that.

That being said, I think you just made a case in favor of Carnival of Souls being perhaps their most creative studio album - whether you realize that or not.
That is exactly right. The question was which album was the best musically and creatively. Regardless of whether COS was hopping on a bandwagon and not typical of KISS (both 100% true in my opinion), it’s still one of, if not the number 1 KISS album from a musicianship and creative point of view. From what I can see, nothing Grand Classic has said (I don’t see all his comments, only the ones quoted) has debunked that. In fact, some of his comments have actually reinforced the point further. It’s like he’s both agreeing and disagreeing with himself and insulting all of us for both agreeing and disagreeing! 😁
TO BE COMPARED WITH THE BEST FROM OTHER BANDS. Why are you and others ignoring this?

You would be laughed out of the fucking room if you used COS to challenge the best of Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones and other bands. Literally laughed at and they would point out to you that it sounds like bad Alice In Chains.
Maybe because it's a bullshit premise to begin with. Why do you need to compare it to ''the best from other bands"?

And I would seriously hope to never be in one of these album challenging rooms. It sounds like a really bad time. :)
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Wichita77 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:37 pm

The problem here is the title of this thread asks one question while the following post asks a different question.

To your title question:
Like it or not, COS is a musical and creative high point for KISS in the eyes of many people. Me included. As I think about it, it may even eclipse Destroyer as Ezrin drove the creativity and musicality of Destroyer, whereas COS was more organically created with band personnel.

To your second question:
Does ANY KISS album hold up agains the best of Zepplin from a creative/musical standpoint? Of course not. Silly question IMO. I imagine most of us wouldn't put KISS over Zepplin in terms of musical significance, any more than we'd put Zep over Mozart.

A great follow-up question would be... Was KISS more fun than Led Zepplin and the Stones? Fuck yes, by a long ways IMO anyway.

Most KISS fans came to the party because they were the best at being the most fun. For us, it was a package deal... a great show, irreverent music, and anthems to individuality.... not Babe I'm gonna Leave You, When the Levee Breaks, and Stairway to Heaven. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Zepplin and I love KISS but to me me they might as well be in separate genres as they serve two different purposes in my life.

Sometimes you want a Whole Lotta Love, and sometimes you need to go to Detroit Rock City.
It is in the opening post. There is only so much text allowed in the subject space. It's not my problem if people have reading comprehension issues or only see what they want to see. The context of this thread is there in black and white.

Yes it is understood that maybe no KISS album holds up against other classic albums, but the idea was for people to pick the album that would have the best shot and COS isn't it in this context for reasons people seem to be ignoring. You would think that KISS invented grunge with all this gushing praise for the album.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

In the Suds wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:44 pm
Mr Slow wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:29 pm
Bandit1974 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:10 pm

I can agree with that.

That being said, I think you just made a case in favor of Carnival of Souls being perhaps their most creative studio album - whether you realize that or not.
That is exactly right. The question was which album was the best musically and creatively. Regardless of whether COS was hopping on a bandwagon and not typical of KISS (both 100% true in my opinion), it’s still one of, if not the number 1 KISS album from a musicianship and creative point of view. From what I can see, nothing Grand Classic has said (I don’t see all his comments, only the ones quoted) has debunked that. In fact, some of his comments have actually reinforced the point further. It’s like he’s both agreeing and disagreeing with himself and insulting all of us for both agreeing and disagreeing! 😁

Maybe because it's a bullshit premise to begin with. Why do you need to compare it to ''the best from other bands"?

And I would seriously hope to never be in one of these album challenging rooms. It sounds like a really bad time. :)
It's one thread here out of endless others - the topic was already dead before someone bumped it again. It was also inspired by the Rolling Stones thread or do you also have reading comprehension issues and missed that part in the opening post?

It sure would be a really bad time for YOU if you are bringing albums like Carnival Of Soul as an album that defines creativity and brilliance vs albums that others have brought. I would be laughing at you too.
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wichita77 »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:52 pm
It is in the opening post. There is only so much text allowed in the subject space. It's not my problem if people have reading comprehension issues or only see what they want to see. The context of this thread is there in black and white.

Yes it is understood that maybe no KISS album holds up against other classic albums, but the idea was for people to pick the album that would have the best shot and COS isn't it in this context for reasons people seem to be ignoring. You would think that KISS invented grunge with all this gushing praise for the album.
It's not a comprehension issue as much as a communication issue IMO. If you really wanted to know how KISS holds up to their contemporaries, you should have maybe led out with that.

I don't think anyone see's COS as an epic reinvention of grunge album as you seem to suggest. Going back to Dynasty, KISS has always tried to fit in with what was happening. For some of us, that is part of the appeal.

Personally though, I never saw COS as a grunge album in the first place, whether it was intended to be that or not. In the end, it was a fresh take on Kiss that I rather enjoyed.

Subjectivity is part of what makes up individuality. We all interpret music based on our own factors. You probably shouldn't let yourself get so worked up about the way others hear an album.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

You would think that KISS invented grunge with all this gushing praise for the album.
They did. :)

Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Wichita77 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:06 pm

It's not a comprehension issue as much as a communication issue IMO. If you really wanted to know how KISS holds up to their contemporaries, you should have maybe led out with that.

I don't think anyone see's COS as an epic reinvention of grunge album as you seem to suggest. Going back to Dynasty, KISS has always tried to fit in with what was happening. For some of us, that is part of the appeal.

Personally though, I never saw COS as a grunge album in the first place, whether it was intended to be that or not. In the end, it was a fresh take on Kiss that I rather enjoyed.

Subjectivity is part of what makes up individuality. We all interpret music based on our own factors. You probably shouldn't let yourself get so worked up about the way others hear an album.
I think the terms of the topic are laid out quite simply and are easy to understand, especially with mentioning The Rolling Stones and KISS' contemporaries in general. I don't know what to tell you if you think COS qualifies in this context.

You can think COS is the greatest album ever subjectively, but the point is to be objective - hence picking an album that may not be your favorite, but that would have the best shot as a hypothetical challenger to what other bands have released.

I am not getting worked up, I just can't believe the kookiness I am reading. It's like bizarro world. Down is up. Up is down. Carnival Of Soul is their greatest album.
cholvey
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by cholvey »

Grand Classic wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:36 am Greetings,

This isn't a thread to pick your favorite KISS studio album (although it may be one in the same), but with talk about comparing KISS to other bands like the Rolling Stones and some people feeling that KISS are better - what is the best KISS album creatively and musically that showed KISS at a level above their contemporaries or that would back up the notion that KISS is above some of the greatest bands in rock and roll history.

While I dig a bunch of KISS albums from Dressed To Kill to Rock And Roll Over to Creatures and even love the Gene 78 album and The Elder for that matter, I do think thanks to Ezrin - Destroyer is the closet thing KISS came to any sort of true greatness and even then - not entirely hitting the mark. It isn't surprising that Destroyer is generally viewed and often ranked as their best album nonetheless.

I think part of the problem with KISS is that they often rushed through the album making process or just didn't have much time to really bake the songs or come up with strong ideas, so there is often problems with every KISS album - no matter how good it may be overall. I don't think they have made a truly great album front to back, but I know some people will disagree there.

So with all the diverse views here of era preferences and the albums people prefer over others, what album shows KISS at their best creatively, songwriting wise and musically? If you want to name 2 albums because you can't decide on just one - knock yourself out.
Using your criteria, ie; comparing Kiss’ best against their contemporaries best, the only album that qualifies is Destroyer. Obvious as Kiss fans we might pick other albums, but objectively there’s really only one.

IMO the only other candidate would be Alive! but that may not fit the bill bc its a live album. So again based on your original question there’s only one obvious answer.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

In the Suds wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:17 pm
You would think that KISS invented grunge with all this gushing praise for the album.
They did. :)

Ironically some grunge bands were influenced by Dust, which Wise and Kerner were involved with prior to KISS.
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wichita77 »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:20 pm

I think the terms of the topic are laid out quite simply and are easy to understand, especially with mentioning The Rolling Stones and KISS' contemporaries in general. I don't know what to tell you if you think COS qualifies in this context.

You can think COS is the greatest album ever subjectively, but the point is to be objective - hence picking an album that may not be your favorite, but that would have the best shot as a hypothetical challenger to what other bands have released.

I am not getting worked up, I just can't believe the kookiness I am reading. It's like bizarro world. Down is up. Up is down. Carnival Of Soul is their greatest album.
Your title is not representative of the topic. Your title asks a subjective question, while your topic asks people to be objective in their thinking.

No wonder conflict ensues.

I'm just trying to help you out here. You might try again with a better articulated title, unless of course, you are looking for conflict. In that case, carry on.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

cholvey wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:28 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:36 am Greetings,

This isn't a thread to pick your favorite KISS studio album (although it may be one in the same), but with talk about comparing KISS to other bands like the Rolling Stones and some people feeling that KISS are better - what is the best KISS album creatively and musically that showed KISS at a level above their contemporaries or that would back up the notion that KISS is above some of the greatest bands in rock and roll history.

While I dig a bunch of KISS albums from Dressed To Kill to Rock And Roll Over to Creatures and even love the Gene 78 album and The Elder for that matter, I do think thanks to Ezrin - Destroyer is the closet thing KISS came to any sort of true greatness and even then - not entirely hitting the mark. It isn't surprising that Destroyer is generally viewed and often ranked as their best album nonetheless.

I think part of the problem with KISS is that they often rushed through the album making process or just didn't have much time to really bake the songs or come up with strong ideas, so there is often problems with every KISS album - no matter how good it may be overall. I don't think they have made a truly great album front to back, but I know some people will disagree there.

So with all the diverse views here of era preferences and the albums people prefer over others, what album shows KISS at their best creatively, songwriting wise and musically? If you want to name 2 albums because you can't decide on just one - knock yourself out.
Using your criteria, ie; comparing Kiss’ best against their contemporaries best, the only album that qualifies is Destroyer. Obvious as Kiss fans we might pick other albums, but objectively there’s really only one.

IMO the only other candidate would be Alive! but that may not fit the bill bc its a live album. So again based on your original question there’s only one obvious answer.
There may only be one obvious answer, but even picking the debut or Hotter Than Hell is sure as shit more reasonable than COS.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Wichita77 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:29 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:20 pm

Your title is not representative of the topic. Your title asks a subjective question, while your topic asks people to be objective in their thinking.

No wonder conflict ensues.

I'm just trying to help you out here. You might try again with a better articulated title, unless of course, you are looking for conflict. In that case, carry on.
You are supposed to read the subject and opening post for complete context for any given thread. If one just hits reply after reading the subject title without any additional reading at all, then that isn't my problem and perhaps the person doesn't understand how to properly navigate a discussion forum.
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wichita77 »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:35 pm
You are supposed to read the subject and opening post for complete context for any given thread. If one just hits reply after reading the subject title without any additional reading at all, then that isn't my problem and perhaps the person doesn't understand how to properly navigate a discussion forum.
Again, I'm just trying to help you bro. Apparently not everyone has read the rule book on how people are "supposed" to respond to Grand Classic posts.

If your title and your post ask two separate questions, you shouldn't be surprised if you get mixed answers.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Wichita77 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:39 pm
Again, I'm just trying to help you bro. Apparently not everyone has read the rule book on how people are "supposed" to respond to Grand Classic posts.

If your title and your post ask two separate questions, you shouldn't be surprised if you get mixed answers.
The original post are extensions of the thread title with further detail. It's always been that way since the dawn of forums.

Do you just click reply on threads just based on the subject line and not actually read the opening post?
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

I read and fully understood the OP. I just don't accept the idea that albums need to be compared.

Why would I have compare Rock and Roll Over to Physical Graffiti when I can just enjoy them both for what they are?

And yes, I saw the Rolling Stones thread but I don't care. The premise is still BS. :)
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

That’s what he wants. It’s what he always wants. He has admitted many times he enjoys the back and forth. Why else would you start a topic asking a question then spend the 4 pages (so far) arguing with them, swearing at them and insulting them because they haven’t agreed with your choice?
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

In the Suds wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:51 pm I read and fully understood the OP. I just don't accept the idea that albums need to be compared.

Why would I have compare Rock and Roll Over to Physical Graffiti when I can just enjoy them both for what they are?

And yes, I saw the Rolling Stones thread but I don't care. The premise is still BS. :)
Well sure they don't need to be compared, but the vast majority of stuff on forums don't need to be discussed either, but hey that's what fan forums are for. Discussing completely meaningless topics and usually the same ones over and over again until the end of time.
B5Erik
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

Mr Slow wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:55 pm

That’s what he wants. It’s what he always wants. He has admitted many times he enjoys the back and forth. Why else would you start a topic asking a question then spend the 4 pages (so far) arguing with them, swearing at them and insulting them because they haven’t agreed with your choice?
Yeah, and that's why the people his own message board turned against him and split.

I didn't have any problems with him, he was pretty cool with me, but that can't be said of everyone else - and he certainly didn't know when to back off and accept other people's opinions as being just as valid as his.

And, let's face it, he's not a musician, so his opinions on music are not educated ones.

Grand Classic/HM - great guy at times, but he can be his own worst enemy. This thread is a good example. It's a shame, if he treated everyone else the way he treated me before he'd be one of the most popular members on any board he was on.

I used to argue points like this to death, but I just got too old for it.

And, sadly, this thread should have been put out of it's misery about 20 or 30 posts back.
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wichita77 »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:47 pm

The original post are extensions of the thread title with further detail. It's always been that way since the dawn of forums.

Do you just click reply on threads just based on the subject line and not actually read the opening post?
I have not been there since the dawn of forums, but I imagine even then that titles that are not representative of posts, are going to lead to some confusion and conflict.

I don't see any reason why we should argue about my opinion of your communication skills. I'm just trying to help. Take it or leave it.
Tito

Post by Tito »

DonnaDixon wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:00 pm
Tito wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:54 am I don't see how the answer to this one could be anything but Destroyer. And no, it's not my favourite. Of course even this album is practically a redux of Billion Dollar Babies, so it's questionable whether it has any real legs as a classic album outside of a classic KISS album.

Yet somehow, with barely any real classic albums, or indeed hit singles, a lot of people love the band anyway...
By "classic" do you merely mean "Gushed over and pushed hard by the fake-journalism con-artists at Rolling Stone magazine and similar payola outlets"? Or do you mean "great"?

KISS has more Very Good albums than any other artist in history. That's all that matters.
By "classic album" I mean an album that is also considered to be such by people outside of the artist in question's core fan base. I don't think the definition of the term comes down to what I or you might mean by it. Every album I find great is not a classic, no.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

B5Erik wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:02 pm
Mr Slow wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:55 pm

Yeah, and that's why the people his own message board turned against him and split.

I didn't have any problems with him, he was pretty cool with me, but that can't be said of everyone else - and he certainly didn't know when to back off and accept other people's opinions as being just as valid as his.

And, let's face it, he's not a musician, so his opinions on music are not educated ones.

Grand Classic/HM - great guy at times, but he can be his own worst enemy. This thread is a good example. It's a shame, if he treated everyone else the way he treated me before he'd be one of the most popular members on any board he was on.

I used to argue points like this to death, but I just got too old for it.

And, sadly, this thread should have been put out of it's misery about 20 or 30 posts back.
I am sure you are pretty aware why the exodus happened at my forum specifically as in the exact reason that started it, which resulted in the domino's that fell after that.

Thank you for the kind words otherwise. We all have different personalities and posting styles - it is what it is.

By the way, you don't need to be a musician to understand music or recognize quality musicianship. Plenty of music producers can't play any instruments. I grew up with hard core piano lessons and I played the drums, but it wasn't something that I was passionate about.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Wichita77 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:10 pm

I have not been there since the dawn of forums, but I imagine even then that titles that are not representative of posts, are going to lead to some confusion and conflict.

I don't see any reason why we should argue about my opinion of your communication skills. I'm just trying to help. Take it or leave it.
Always read the opening post and there will never be any confusion or conflict as to the context of the thread. Thanks for the help nonetheless.
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wichita77 »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:19 pm

Always read the opening post and there will never be any confusion or conflict as to the context of the thread. Thanks for the help nonetheless.
I DID read the opening post. That's how I knew that there was a difference between the bait and the hook.
steve

Post by steve »

Bruce wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:40 amI am not a Beatles fan, and have no love of Led Zeppelin, in particular. The Beatles, with their childish, overly simplistic earlier efforts and backwards track playing idiocy on their later ones is frustrating to listen to.
I SAID GOOD DAY, SIR!

Mister Bruce, despite your exemplary taste is KISS albums and indeed guitarists, I do not believe we can be friends after such a declaration.

I kid. Each to their own, though I do think you're missing out.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Wichita77 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:00 am
Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:19 pm

I DID read the opening post. That's how I knew that there was a difference between the bait and the hook.
There really isn't a difference. This thread was inspired by the Rolling Stones thread. It wouldn't have existed otherwise. What you perceive things to be is wrong. Some understood the thread completely and some didn't. Oh well.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Tito wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:13 pm
Tito wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:54 am I don't see how the answer to this one could be anything but Destroyer. And no, it's not my favourite. Of course even this album is practically a redux of Billion Dollar Babies, so it's questionable whether it has any real legs as a classic album outside of a classic KISS album.

Yet somehow, with barely any real classic albums, or indeed hit singles, a lot of people love the band anyway...
By "classic" do you merely mean "Gushed over and pushed hard by the fake-journalism con-artists at Rolling Stone magazine and similar payola outlets"? Or do you mean "great"?

KISS has more Very Good albums than any other artist in history. That's all that matters.
By "classic album" I mean an album that is also considered to be such by people outside of the artist in question's core fan base. I don't think the definition of the term comes down to what I or you might mean by it. Every album I find great is not a classic, no.
But what is "classic"? A 1956 Chevy Bel Air is a classic because of its age and rarity. But it could also be a rusted-out, atrociously-cared-for heap of junk. And extremely primitive, engineering-wise.

Classic should mean "truly great", and this label should be applied only by uniquely-talented, knowledgeable, sincere, honest people with no agenda or conflicts of interest.

Let's circle back to the so-called "legends" The Rolling Stones and all of their so-called "classic" albums.

Only a small fraction of TRS songs are not boring or just downright stupid. They're clichéd, AC/DC-level redundant, and every single song is sung by someone who sucks as singing.

Gosh, I wonder how they got famous and became regarded as brilliant and legendary??!

The label did not come from uniquely-talented, knowledgeable, sincere, honest people with no agenda or conflicts of interest. It came from 55 years of payola and incessant, ubiquitous propaganda.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

DonnaDixon wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:09 am
Tito wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:13 pm

But what is "classic"? A 1956 Chevy Bel Air is a classic because of its age and rarity. But it could also be a rusted-out, atrociously-cared-for heap of junk. And extremely primitive, engineering-wise.

Classic should mean "truly great", and this label should be applied only by uniquely-talented, knowledgeable, sincere, honest people with no agenda or conflicts of interest.

Let's circle back to the so-called "legends" The Rolling Stones and all of their so-called "classic" albums.

Only a small fraction of TRS songs are not boring or just downright stupid. They're clichéd, AC/DC-level redundant, and every single song is sung by someone who sucks as singing.

Gosh, I wonder how they got famous and became regarded as brilliant and legendary??!

The label did not come from uniquely-talented, knowledgeable, sincere, honest people with no agenda or conflicts of interest. It came from 55 years of payola and incessant, ubiquitous propaganda.
Quick question - what do you think of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and The Who?
alexmai
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by alexmai »

Creatively and musically? IMHO Monster is an hell of an album, not so many 70's/80's rockers could deliver such a modern yet not alien album almost 40 years into their career... let alone the production, but the album is written very well!
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

alexmai wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:15 am Creatively and musically? IMHO Monster is an hell of an album, not so many 70's/80's rockers could deliver such a modern yet not alien album almost 40 years into their career... let alone the production, but the album is written very well!
I assume this is sarcasm, but you never know on here.
alexmai

Post by alexmai »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:24 am
alexmai wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:15 am Creatively and musically? IMHO Monster is an hell of an album, not so many 70's/80's rockers could deliver such a modern yet not alien album almost 40 years into their career... let alone the production, but the album is written very well!
I assume this is sarcasm, but you never know on here.
No sarcasm! It has been in my Kiss top 3 for years.
jconnors
Location: OHIO STATE BUCKEYES 2018 AND 2019 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Post by jconnors »

Lick it up
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

steve wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:22 am I SAID GOOD DAY, SIR!

Mister Bruce, despite your exemplary taste is KISS albums and indeed guitarists, I do not believe we can be friends after such a declaration.

I kid. Each to their own, though I do think you're missing out.
Just for the record, my expressing dislike, or disdain, for anything is not am attempt to 'convert' anyone to my line of reasoning, although my reasons are sound.

I do find McCartney to have been a fine story teller, lryically. Immediate examples that come to mind are Penny Lane and Eleanor Rigby. Lennon's songs are more about how they're expressed that make them sound cool, rather than the lyrics he's singing, as with Come Together and Don't Let Me Down. But the primitive recording techniques, tinny sound and odd musical flourishes are roadblocks to any fandom I might've had for the Beatles.

Although ... Harrison's approach offers the greatest appeal but finds himself woefully under-used. So, when I say stuff about my inability to appreciate the Beatles, its because i have/do listen to them -- sparingly! I prefer Paul & John's solo work and am strangely partial to George's My Sweet Lord. Ringo's Photograph and Don't Come Easy are superior to his underwater themes during his tenure in the Beatles.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Bruce wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:40 am
Grand Classic wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:00 am That's your favorite album, isn't it? You think Asylum is the closest KISS album to hold it's own against The Beatles and Zeppelin among other bands?
I am not a Beatles fan, and have no love of Led Zeppelin, in particular.
You're a tough nut to crack, Brucie.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Not at all. Compared to the plethora of KIϟϟ fans who berate and can't stand any output from this band that isn't pure, original lineup, I'm very pliable ... bendy ... But I won't lie to you, if Seventies KIϟϟ was all of KIϟϟ that ever existed, I'd probably just be a casual fan. A casual fan, at best. The Psycho Circus record (which I love) is no more absent Ace & Pete's collaborative input than Destroyer was. And i love Frehley'd Comet, very much!

But these same fans don't appreciate it, because they were promised a 'band record' like KIϟϟ - through Dressed to Kill were. And if REVENGE featured KIϟϟ pictured on the cover as Elvis impersonators, these same original line-up fans who give REVENGE a pass, would hate it. Absolutely trash the shit out of it. But Gene looks demony, for once, so the album's celebrated. None of this is scientific, no matter what era you love, or any of that. I mean ... nothing anyone says will get me to reject Crazy Nights! And I'd be shocked to hell if fans loved the solo records any less because of me ... and kinda disappointed.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Bruce wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:22 pm Not at all.
I love your uniqueness and stubbornness. But The Beatles and Zeppelin are brilliant.

What's your top 10?
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Top Ten what? information, please!
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Bruce wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:34 pm Top Ten what? information, please!
Music artists!

So you have KISS, Zeppelin, and The Beatles at 1, 2, and 3. How about 4 through 10? 😉
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Bruce wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:22 pm Not at all. Compared to the plethora of KIϟϟ fans who berate and can't stand any output from this band that isn't pure, original lineup, I'm very pliable ... bendy ... But I won't lie to you, if Seventies KIϟϟ was all of KIϟϟ that ever existed, I'd probably just be a casual fan. A casual fan, at best. The Psycho Circus record (which I love) is no more absent Ace & Pete's collaborative input than Destroyer was. And i love Frehley'd Comet, very much!

But these same fans don't appreciate it, because they were promised a 'band record' like KIϟϟ - through Dressed to Kill were. And if REVENGE featured KIϟϟ pictured on the cover as Elvis impersonators, these same original line-up fans who give REVENGE a pass, would hate it. Absolutely trash the shit out of it. But Gene looks demony, for once, so the album's celebrated. None of this is scientific, no matter what era you love, or any of that. I mean ... nothing anyone says will get me to reject Crazy Nights! And I'd be shocked to hell if fans loved the solo records any less because of me ... and kinda disappointed.
Ace and Peter are on Destroyer with the exception of the Sweet Pain solo for Ace. I don't know how you think that is comparable to Psycho Circus - an album where it is completely understandable that fans would expect it to be a reunion album, since the band reunited and they are barely on the album.

Revenge is celebrated, because Unholy had been the first respectable thing KISS has done for many YEARS. Hell, people who hate KISS were actually surprised by Unholy and liked it.

In addition, Bruce finally came alive with some push from Ezrin, the production is great after so many dismal KISS production jobs and KISS were on fire again. Revenge should have followed Lick It Up.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

DonnaDixon wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:54 pm So you have KISS, Zeppelin, and The Beatles at 1, 2, and 3. How about 4 through 10? 😉
-- Refuse!

The list has now become ... tainted!

But, uh ... Live: Throwing Copper is one record that has deeply impacted me. The song Lightning Crashes, for example, moves me ... emotionally ...
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Bruce wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:18 pm
DonnaDixon wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:54 pm So you have KISS, Zeppelin, and The Beatles at 1, 2, and 3. How about 4 through 10? 😉
-- Refuse!

The list has now become ... tainted!

But, uh ... Live: Throwing Copper is one record that has deeply impacted me. The song Lightning Crashes, for example, moves me ... emotionally ...
Live is great.

Come on, what's your top 10?
detroit_01
Banned
Banned

Post by detroit_01 »

hands down: rock and roll over. period.
criss75
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by criss75 »

Creatures Of The Night