What is this "We won" mantra?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
BeholderFan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

What is this "We won" mantra?

Post by BeholderFan »

I have a question that I hope some in here can answer. What is this "we won" mantra that "Three Sides" is talking about? I also thought I saw this "we won" bit in here in one thread somewhere. In every one of their IG posts, I see, "Forget the haters. We won." Well, what is "we won" about?

Thanks in advance.
weboes
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Re: What is this "We won" mantra?

Post by weboes »

I assume they say it because they are still around and view themselves as successful.
rwgriffith
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by rwgriffith »

I was wondering about this recently, too.
In the Suds
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by In the Suds »

The idea is that anyone who disagrees with them at all is a KISS hater, and since KISS is successful ''they'' won.
SalAce
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by SalAce »

G&P still bitter about a few bad reviews in Rolling Stone in the mid 70's, bless 'em.
Coventry1973
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Coventry1973 »

That KISS is still around after all these years, and I guess to a way lesser degree that with all the critics 3 Sides is still around too
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by jannep17 »

We are won. :wink:

No, to be serious, I fail to understand people who somehow think there are camps fighting over the right way to be a Kiss fan.

News flash: You can be a Kiss fan any way you like.
You can like what you want, you can dislike what you want.
Gene isn't going to come to your house and take your fandom away.

This is only a band. It's not a religion.
Holmgren
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Holmgren »

Maybe the opposite to the "Kiss is doomed" from 20 years ago that no one really understood either.
I'm sure it ain't important.
southernkiss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by southernkiss »

jannep17 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:25 pm We are won. :wink:

No, to be serious, I fail to understand people who somehow think there are camps fighting over the right way to be a Kiss fan.

After all, KISS even sang Anyway You Want It! LOL!
Doose

Post by Doose »

In the Suds wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:14 pm The idea is that anyone who disagrees with them at all is a KISS hater, and since KISS is successful ''they'' won.
Yep, this is it. "We won" over the haters because KISS is successful with Tommy and Eric. I've always thought it was such an awkward, lame thing.
rwgriffith
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by rwgriffith »

Doose wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:13 pm
In the Suds wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:14 pm The idea is that anyone who disagrees with them at all is a KISS hater, and since KISS is successful ''they'' won.
Yep, this is it. "We won" over the haters because KISS is successful with Tommy and Eric. I've always thought it was such an awkward, lame thing.
Yeah, if that is what they mean...very lame and petty.
tazchris
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by tazchris »

Let's face it everyone hates KISS, even their own fan base. Despites everything lined up against them they'll hit fifty years, I think the "We Won" mantra speaks to that.
Eddie Van Hazel

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

I don't think the "we won" mantra has anything to do with KISS at all....(but that's just my opinion).
mot$$33
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by mot$$33 »

I like their show and am a loyal listener weekly, but the slogan is juvenile in my opinion. I just filter out the “style” and focus on the “substance”
kisswah
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by kisswah »

It was introduced during the farewell tour in 2000 (see Last KISS "you showed them they were wrong") and it works very well as a unifying mantra.
Thace
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Thace »

Is that the podcast where three 55 years old guys frequently harass that woman with sexist jokes everytime she on? They shure know how to show everyone how ”we won” as Kiss fans.
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

kisswah wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:01 pm It was introduced during the farewell tour in 2000 (see Last KISS "you showed them they were wrong") and it works very well as a unifying mantra.
I think that is one of Paul's best raps! People doubted and laughed at KISS from as early as their 1973 club days. They won by sucking millions of people (including me) into KISS obsession! LOL!
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Eddie Van Hazel wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:48 pm I don't think the "we won" mantra has anything to do with KISS at all....(but that's just my opinion).
I like it & simply because I believe it does reflect how a lot fans felt back in 1977. "We won!" KISS was going to be famous in America, all because 'we said so' & for no other reason. Not because they had a string of consecutive hit songs people couldn't get enough of, nor because they were musical geniuses similar to likes of Jimmy Page or even Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

The band that so many felt just shouldn't be & shouldn't be ever allowed to even exist was going straight to the top. And to the point they could rival even likes of Led Zeppelin, in overall popularity among teenagers. It happened & because we (the fans, the KISS ARMY) made it happen. And with the "LOVE GUN/ALIVE II" tour, Paul accurately describes it as 'their victory lap'.

I was seeing the shape of things to come, I was seeing 'the future' & that's how I felt at those particular shows (several of them).

🔮
Last edited by jkiss on Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
ohiostate98
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by ohiostate98 »

They did to the count of hundreds of millions. Without the Reunion Tour, they’d be playing county fairs.
69th_B1izard

Post by 69th_B1izard »

BeholderFan wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:55 pm I have a question that I hope some in here can answer. What is this "we won" mantra that "Three Sides" is talking about? I also thought I saw this "we won" bit in here in one thread somewhere. In every one of their IG posts, I see, "Forget the haters. We won." Well, what is "we won" about?

Thanks in advance.
Your question is one of those unanswerable questions. You would have to get in the mind of the person who came up with that (slogan)….and I don’t recommend doing that. Lol
BeholderFan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by BeholderFan »

Thace wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:13 pm Is that the podcast where three 55 years old guys frequently harass that woman with sexist jokes everytime she on? They shure know how to show everyone how ”we won” as Kiss fans.
Yes. In fact, I used to watch them weekly, until after Lafon left and his replacement took over. Let's just say that I haven't like them since they've lost their objectivity concerning the band. That's all I want to say.
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

69th_B1izard wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:13 pm
BeholderFan wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:55 pm I have a question that I hope some in here can answer. What is this "we won" mantra that "Three Sides" is talking about? I also thought I saw this "we won" bit in here in one thread somewhere. In every one of their IG posts, I see, "Forget the haters. We won." Well, what is "we won" about?

Thanks in advance.
Your question is one of those unanswerable questions. You would have to get in the mind of the person who came up with that (slogan)….and I don’t recommend doing that. Lol
I believe it was Paul. And seemingly stems from a conversation he had online (maybe his or the KISS FB) not too long before the ("Classic Rock" SCE, 05-19) magazine hit stands, sporting the 'tag-line', "THE WAR IS OVER. WE WON!" (GOING OUT ON TOP OF THE WORLD).

And with the online conversation, Paul talks about the then upcoming EOTR & precisely why he wouldn't ever attempt to resurrect the actual "LOVE GUN" stage for an entire tour (also makes reference to the LG tour as being their [1977] victory lap).

Also, when speaking about it 'not being able to live-up to the rose-colored glasses memory (or even the illusion depicted by the "ALIVE II" gatefold) of the stage'; Paul foreshadows the pyrotechnical extravaganza of the EOTR (something extra special for all those former 'KISS kids').

🤔
Last edited by jkiss on Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:56 pm, edited 13 times in total.
BeholderFan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by BeholderFan »

Doose wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:13 pm
Thank you both for answering my question. That sounds about right. I think it is lame and a bit juvenile also.
KalB
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by KalB »

Speaks to the main host's insistence on fighting with their audience...
It's the attitude and 'policy' that lead Mitch Lafon to leave abruptly early on.

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing they've "won" is the award for most guest interruptions per-episode. As far as KISS podcasts go, they are easily the hardest to listen to. Constantly getting off-track, going on tangents and talking over each other.
Kisscomplicated
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Kisscomplicated »

tazchris wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:23 pm Let's face it everyone hates KISS, even their own fan base. Despites everything lined up against them they'll hit fifty years, I think the "We Won" mantra speaks to that.
I see. May I ask who entitled you to speak for everyone? You certainly do not speak for me. To you I'm either a someone or a Noone. In either case ( not giving one hot shit what you think ) does that still make me an everyone who you speak for or not ? Thank you so much for speaking for everyone ! I've always needed a spokesperson! May I ask if you think for everyone too? Cheers !
kisswah
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by kisswah »

southernkiss wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:39 pm
kisswah wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:01 pm It was introduced during the farewell tour in 2000 (see Last KISS "you showed them they were wrong") and it works very well as a unifying mantra.
I think that is one of Paul's best raps! People doubted and laughed at KISS from as early as their 1973 club days. They won by sucking millions of people (including me) into KISS obsession! LOL!
haha, exactly. I had goosebumps. Also when he said at the end "we'll see you in your dreams ..." very cool.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Yep, and Gene & Paul wouldn’t have been able to use such a corny mantra as “We Won” if it wasn’t for Peter & Ace coming back to help resurrect the dead carcass that was Kiss in 1995.
Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

It is a marketing slogan.
KISSFACE

Post by KISSFACE »

Reminds me of this rap with the Never Quit theme that i liked a bunch:

Antzzz66
Newbie... Be nice to me!
Newbie... Be nice to me!

Post by Antzzz66 »

Thace wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:13 pm Is that the podcast where three 55 years old guys frequently harass that woman with sexist jokes everytime she on? They shure know how to show everyone how ”we won” as Kiss fans.
It’s pathetic when they do that … but she also Laps it up
Soylent Gene

Post by Soylent Gene »

Who’s “WE”?

As much as KISS sucks now, they “WON”. They’re still making money, still living like rock stars, still winning.

What exactly did 3 Sides win? Nothing. They’re 3 middle aged nerds who spend hours arguing about senior citizen men who wear makeup and spandex. Kinda like this place.
ZachAttack

Post by ZachAttack »

I think it's like that thing where some middle aged loser who has never accomplished anything in his life lives vicariously through a local sports team and whenever they win a game, he yells "WE DID IT!" as if HE did something. It gives him a false sense of accomplishment.

So basically that but with KISS
BeholderFan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by BeholderFan »

ZachAttack wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:06 pm I think it's like that thing where some middle aged loser who has never accomplished anything in his life lives vicariously through a local sports team and whenever they win a game, he yells "WE DID IT!" as if HE did something. It gives him a false sense of accomplishment.

So basically that but with KISS
Thanks.
d4nugster
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by d4nugster »

it certainly was apt to use around '96 onwards till the farewell as they were reaping accolades from everyone as opposed how they were bashed and ridiculed when they started. they've become rock statesmen.
spacecat2500
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by spacecat2500 »

This is the most sensible comment I’ve ever read in the history of this site.
Hear! Hear!
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

Soylent Gene wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:32 pm Who’s “WE”?

As much as KISS sucks now, they “WON”. They’re still making money, still living like rock stars, still winning.

What exactly did 3 Sides win? Nothing. They’re 3 middle aged nerds who spend hours arguing about senior citizen men who wear makeup and spandex. Kinda like this place.
Yes, according to P&G, 'they won' & from their own perception they have; regardless, whether or not it was fair & square.

The reasons people object to what KISS is doing presently; are the very same type of reasons (or similar overall mindset) people objected to them, originally.

🤔
Last edited by jkiss on Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asylumize
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Asylumize »

Yeah I don’t think it makes sense either. Are they saying “we” in the sense of Kiss fans that have stuck with band forever. Are they saying the 3 sides guys winning to make themselves feel even more superior over the average fan? Are they required by Brandvold to put it on all correspondence for some reason?
Much Too Soon
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Much Too Soon »

Who can stand podcasts. 10-12 minutes in and I’m bored as shyt. They just meander to fill time.
KisstineSixteen
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by KisstineSixteen »

Coming soon from kissonline, “The Gene Simmons Fandom Repossession Experience” 😝
SpadeFreeberg
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by SpadeFreeberg »

Who Dares Wins
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

KisstineSixteen wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:16 pm

Coming soon from kissonline, “The Gene Simmons Fandom Repossession Experience” 😝
Yeah, and he brings The Vault and forces you to listen to it all the way through. Before repossessing your fandom.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

I think some of you don’t listen to the show and are just guessing what the mantra means. “We” are the fans and “we won” because despite people saying the band was crap since 1974 we were right because here they are, still alive and still filling arenas all over the world.

This has nothing to do with 3SOTC specifically (other than they created it). It’s about KISS fans. They use it when they post any image from any era 1973-2021. Brandvold has said this many times on the show.
Chaim Wigz
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Chaim Wigz »

jkiss wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:27 pm I believe it was Paul. And seemingly stems from a conversation he had online (maybe his or the KISS FB) not too long before the ("Classic Rock" SCE, 05-19) magazine hit stands, sporting the 'tag-line', "THE WAR IS OVER. WE WON!" (GOING OUT ON TOP OF THE WORLD).
That was pretty much the exact point I gave up on Classic Rock magazine. I’d began to doubt their journalistic integrity and sincerity for some time before that, but once they claimed that Kiss was ‘going out on top of the world’, I knew that beyond bold claim was objective horseshit, and they were merely an extension of Paul and Gene’s (and others) sales and marketing department.

I haven’t bought it since.

Rock Candy magazine for me now.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

Chaim Wigz wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:16 am
jkiss wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:27 pm I believe it was Paul. And seemingly stems from a conversation he had online (maybe his or the KISS FB) not too long before the ("Classic Rock" SCE, 05-19) magazine hit stands, sporting the 'tag-line', "THE WAR IS OVER. WE WON!" (GOING OUT ON TOP OF THE WORLD).
That was pretty much the exact point I gave up on Classic Rock magazine. I’d began to doubt their journalistic integrity and sincerity for some time before that, but once they claimed that Kiss was ‘going out on top of the world’, I knew that beyond bold claim was objective horseshit, and they were merely an extension of Paul and Gene’s (and others) sales and marketing department.

Classic Rock Magazine used to be interesting, now it's very tired.
How many times can you do a cover story on Led Zeppelin?
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

Its not just the 3 Tools necessarily. Didn't Tom Morello say it at the HOF induction? "We won!" ??

Essentially I take it as those fans who stayed the course, never wavered in their support, despite KISS not being a critics darling or musical nerds darling?! So those who stayed the course were right all along in their support. As the band are held in better esteem in recent years generally; including by those who supposedly disliked them at one point..

Having said that - its still a pretty stupid saying. What have "we won" exactly?! Gene and Paul have won!
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

From Paul's point-of-view, top of the world, same with Gene. Something we as fans shouldn't ever forget, these are two guys that weren't ever supposed to make it (in their own words). And I agree with that, they weren't.

I think discovering Paul's personal preferences for what type of private jet & under what specific conditions it best suits him, puts everything into perspective. KISS is a successful business that has lasted (nearly) 50 years & with millions n' millions in the bank. Perhaps enough money they couldn't ever spend it all.

It really seems or something Gene keeps driving home, almost relentlessly ...is 'money above all'. That's the message I feel he wants to leave us all with.

And even with that "Gold Gin" KISS branded gin, same message. 💰🍾
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Phyllis Simmons wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:42 am Its not just the 3 Tools necessarily. Didn't Tom Morello say it at the HOF induction? "We won!" ??

Essentially I take it as those fans who stayed the course, never wavered in their support, despite KISS not being a critics darling or musical nerds darling?! So those who stayed the course were right all along in their support. As the band are held in better esteem in recent years generally; including by those who supposedly disliked them at one point..

Having said that - its still a pretty stupid saying. What have "we won" exactly?! Gene and Paul have won!
We (the fans) are the winners because we loved them when people said they were rubbish and they wouldn’t last. To me, this goes right back to the guy who famously wrote “KISS won’t be around very long” in The Seattle Times in 1974. We won because we were right and they were wrong because our band survived despite 48 years of naysayers.

I think it’s a great saying and it’s 100% correct. Image changes, lineup changes, style changes, meteoric highs, disastrous lows, triumphs and tragedies yet here we are still cheering on this band, this entity, this relentless and enduring beast that is KISS.

That was pretty deep huh! 😁
Den Dennis
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Den Dennis »

jannep17 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:22 am

Classic Rock Magazine used to be interesting, now it's very tired.
How many times can you do a cover story on Led Zeppelin?
... or AC/DC, Pink Floyd, GnR, Metallica zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Don't think I'll be renewing my sub this year, if I do it will be digital. Can't find much of interest in there these days. Got the Feb issue last week (random super-slow Covid delay), Foo Fighters take over as editors.... I think they've done this before :?
Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

Much Too Soon wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:13 pm Who can stand podcasts. 10-12 minutes in and I’m bored as shyt. They just meander to fill time.
I generally would endorse this viewpoint.

The KISS FAQ guys seem to get right to the point and stay focused with some, brief deviations. The 3 Sides Guys need some serious editing at the start of their shows, apparently spending an inordinate amount of time of contrived controversy is a marketing strategy advocated by the producer of that show in his other music marketing podcasts in my opinion.

I have tried the Shout it Out Loud cast and those dudes' show would probably garner more attention if they cut out the excessive & tiresome bantering. Any of you who have a podcast should try to get some feedback about the listenability of your shows as sometimes less is more. It may be fun to talk shit with your buddies for your show, but sometimes it is not so appealing to listen to.
Last edited by Goodwilltowardsall on Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie Van Hazel

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

Can't wait to see the next 3S episode when go off about this thread for 15 minutes..(lol).