Carnival of souls and the Union albums

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Tail of a hurricane
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Carnival of souls and the Union albums

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

It took me a long while to really get into "Carnival...", but now I love it. I agree with Mr Slow that its Kiss' best album musically and pushing the envelope. It was a brave step at the time. It threw some fans, but gets some respect aswell. Call it dark, grunge or whatever, but to me its Bruce's album. He really shines on this album, and the mood he takes is also highlighted on the Union albums. "I walk alone" is perfectly placed at the end , then a cuppla years later we got the first Union album. It was like Bruces Journey, plus the music was very similar. Does anyone agree? I think we got the best out of Bruce from "Carnival.." onwards. There was a real continuity with those 3 albums.
battra
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Re: Carnival of souls and the Union albums

Post by battra »

Tail of a hurricane wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:27 pm It took me a long while to really get into "Carnival...", but now I love it. I agree with Mr Slow that its Kiss' best album musically and pushing the envelope. It was a brave step at the time. It threw some fans, but gets some respect aswell. Call it dark, grunge or whatever, but to me its Bruce's album. He really shines on this album, and the mood he takes is also highlighted on the Union albums. "I walk alone" is perfectly placed at the end , then a cuppla years later we got the first Union album. It was like Bruces Journey, plus the music was very similar. Does anyone agree? I think we got the best out of Bruce from "Carnival.." onwards. There was a real continuity with those 3 albums.
I love Carnival...always have really.

But, I prefer Bruce's work on Union much, much more.
Tail of a hurricane

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

battra wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:31 pm
Tail of a hurricane wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:27 pm It took me a long while to really get into "Carnival...", but now I love it. I agree with Mr Slow that its Kiss' best album musically and pushing the envelope. It was a brave step at the time. It threw some fans, but gets some respect aswell. Call it dark, grunge or whatever, but to me its Bruce's album. He really shines on this album, and the mood he takes is also highlighted on the Union albums. "I walk alone" is perfectly placed at the end , then a cuppla years later we got the first Union album. It was like Bruces Journey, plus the music was very similar. Does anyone agree? I think we got the best out of Bruce from "Carnival.." onwards. There was a real continuity with those 3 albums.

Agree. Both were fantastic. BK3 aswell
battra

Post by battra »

Tail of a hurricane wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:55 pm
battra wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:31 pm

Agree. Both were fantastic. BK3 aswell
Another fun album, but still not as good as that Union self titled release for me.
richardsimmons
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

I really like CoS. Grows on me more every listen.

I’m not a giant BK fan. He is a great player & cool person though.

What Union LP should I stream first?
Eddie Van Hazel

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

Love "C.O.S". Probably my favorite non makeup KISS album.

The Union albums?...Only bits and pieces.
Mr Slow

Post by Mr Slow »

Eddie Van Hazel wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:32 pm Love "C.O.S". Probably my favorite non makeup KISS album.

The Union albums?...Only bits and pieces.
Agree with your assessment 100%. The UNION stuff wasn’t all that far removed from CARNIVAL but without Gene & Paul’s style all over it I think it was just ok.
L1

Post by L1 »

I’m no big fan of COS, although I like a couple of songs. The first Union album, however, is great in my opinion. The second was kinda cool too, but I haven’t listened to it in many years. I spin the debut every now and then though, and I still like that album very much.
southwest91
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by southwest91 »

While it's an ok album (Cos) I find it awfully pretentious, forced.
Marc Aze
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Marc Aze »

southwest91 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:52 am While it's an ok album (Cos) I find it awfully pretentious, forced.
I feel the same thing... it has absolutely nothing to do with Kiss...
Long time ago a friend of mine thought COS was the best Kiss album and that was something I just couldn't understand.
muddfoot
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by muddfoot »

Love revenge, love Carnival, love Union
67Kiss
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by 67Kiss »

I never thought of of the comparison of Union and COS but it's a good one. I always loved COS, I'm a 70s fan and the 80s stuff to me was OK but more just middle of the pack hair metal
AlmostRockingHuman
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by AlmostRockingHuman »

love all bruce inspired albums
KISSFACE

Post by KISSFACE »

richardsimmons wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:08 pm I really like CoS. Grows on me more every listen.

What Union LP should I stream first?
Take ‘em in release order.

Hopefully, the Live album is streamable, too. Looking back, the DVD was also a great package. Two full shows, interviews and clips from the road and an unreleased song demo bonus track.
Tallbear13
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Tallbear13 »

Union and BK3 really good stuff
Carnival is ok
unionoz
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by unionoz »

Love all of those 3
The riff for Old Man Wise dates back to the COS time frame
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Union performs Jungle ...

The best of two worlds!!

Yes, Carnival of Souls is a fine KIϟϟ album. Both it and Union do seem to be the start of a motif for Bruce. Its a direction in which he was destined to go, but ... as to getting the 'best' from him, thats very difficult to say. His output from this period is certainly outstanding. KIϟϟ often called on him to do alot and he always measured up. No matter the style or technique, he came in prepared and he delivered.

Audio Dog sounds particularly influenced by Bruce's tenure in KIϟϟ. I've oft wondered if by design, or out of habit, or what. And his association with KIϟϟ, after his departure, certainly did not diminish. Demos and a couple of songs for Psycho Circus testify to that. So, Bruce, post-KIϟϟ never sounds like a prisoner unleashed. Rather a change of season.

And it did him good, I think, to be on his own. He said what he felt he had to say musically, then did the expedient thing, i guess, and got with Grand Funk Railroad to keep the lights on, at home. But for me, as a fan and great admirer of Bruce's exceptional talent, can't help but to feel as though he still had a lot more to do. Ah, well ...

Bruce talks 'Carnival of Souls'

https://sleazeroxx.com/bruce-kulick-rec ... -of-souls/
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wichita77 »

From the very beginning I loved CoS. I've said it before that I would have loved to see where KISS would have gone from there had the reunion not ended that road.

I must confess that I've not really given Union a fair shot, but after reading the recommendations from other like-minded people, I will.
kenn.ace

Post by kenn.ace »

I do not like Carnival, but the first Union album is great. I did not like the second Union album as much.
Strutterer
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Strutterer »

I like Bruce's Union stuff way more than Carnival of Souls. Something about Kiss playing that music doesn't work for me.

It might be Paul's voice, in all honesty. It doesn't work as well for the material. Revenge is about as heavy as Paul should go, and really his songs on that record aren't much heavier than Lick it Up or Animalize.
spiritof76
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by spiritof76 »

Carnival Of Shit.

Union sucked, especially Corabi lol.
battra

Post by battra »

Wichita77 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:47 pm From the very beginning I loved CoS. I've said it before that I would have loved to see where KISS would have gone from there had the reunion not ended that road.

I must confess that I've not really given Union a fair shot, but after reading the recommendations from other like-minded people, I will.
If you love CoS, you'll flip your nuts over Union.

Union is Carnival of Souls +4.
SpaceJase
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by SpaceJase »

I like Carnival of Souls a lot. (I like KISS’ attempt at grunge more than I like their attempt at disco and keyboard pop). I’ve not given Union a chance but since COS comparisons are being made, maybe I’ll do just that 👍
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

UNION - Do Your Own Thing Live (Full Concert)

KISSFACE

Post by KISSFACE »

Bruce wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:32 pm UNION - Do Your Own Thing Live (Full Concert)
Where's Live In The Galaxy?

ETA: Nevermind, it IS streamable on Amazon I see. Good.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

All must be accounted for ...
sabresaxon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by sabresaxon »

The two Union albums are my favourite KISS related music since Revenge.
peterparker78
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by peterparker78 »

spiritof76 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:23 pm Carnival Of Shit.

Union sucked, especially Corabi lol.
While I agree with 50% of above opinion, woudn't have expressed it quite thusly. Never liked COS, still can't stand it, much prefer 1st Union album, just my 2p worth, or 2c worth....
Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

So I have been deeply sampling a lot of KISS' post-original's output and I think Carnival of Souls is massively fun and sounds great. KISS are adaptive and versatile, I don't like everything, but that album truly rocks in my opinion.
Marc Aze
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Marc Aze »

I was listening to Unholy Radio and just played "I Will Be There".
In my opinion this is without a doubt one of the worst and most boring songs that Kiss has ever done in their entire career.
:puker: :puker: :puker:
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

Bruce wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:14 pm Union performs Jungle ...

The best of two worlds!!

Yes, Carnival of Souls is a fine KIϟϟ album. Both it and Union do seem to be the start of a motif for Bruce. Its a direction in which he was destined to go, but ... as to getting the 'best' from him, thats very difficult to say. His output from this period is certainly outstanding. KIϟϟ often called on him to do alot and he always measured up. No matter the style or technique, he came in prepared and he delivered.

Audio Dog sounds particularly influenced by Bruce's tenure in KIϟϟ. I've oft wondered if by design, or out of habit, or what. And his association with KIϟϟ, after his departure, certainly did not diminish. Demos and a couple of songs for Psycho Circus testify to that. So, Bruce, post-KIϟϟ never sounds like a prisoner unleashed. Rather a change of season.

And it did him good, I think, to be on his own. He said what he felt he had to say musically, then did the expedient thing, i guess, and got with Grand Funk Railroad to keep the lights on, at home. But for me, as a fan and great admirer of Bruce's exceptional talent, can't help but to feel as though he still had a lot more to do. Ah, well ...

Bruce talks 'Carnival of Souls'

https://sleazeroxx.com/bruce-kulick-rec ... -of-souls/
Great interview thanks!!!