Eddie Trunk interviews ‘KISSTORY’ director

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Mr Slow
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Eddie Trunk interviews ‘KISSTORY’ director

Post by Mr Slow »

Here’s a 45 minute chat with KISSTORY director DJ Viola. Didn’t find out a lot but a decent interview nonetheless. Viola seems like a really good guy and his approach to working with Gene & Paul was rather refreshing.

But why does Trunk always find a way to bring it back to him, his friendship with Ace (and other members) and his KISS fandom? He must have done it a dozen times here. Make a drinking game out of it and you’ll be hammered 10 minutes in! 🍺🥴

Ratmir
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Eddie Trunk interviews ‘KISSTORY’ director

Post by Ratmir »

Yes. Contrary to what many people he would like to think, when people bash Eddie Trunk here, often it's not because they can't handle his opinions about current KISS, but because he brags for half of the interviews which is annoying.
41Mets

Post by 41Mets »

Ratmir wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:12 am Yes. Contrary to what many people he would like to think, when people bash Eddie Trunk here, often it's not because they can't handle his opinions about current KISS, but because he brags for half of the interviews which is annoying.
I have seen Eddie get criticized for both angles.

D.J. is indeed a good guy and I will give this a listen.
ClevelandRocker
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by ClevelandRocker »

I found the interview very interesting as to why Ace didn't want to partake in the documentary.

1. Ace felt it would just be a bashing Ace show throughout the filming and not mention the strides he has made to remain sober for the last few decades. With Gene and Paul having editing approval they could edit any rebuttal he had out of the filming. Ace felt he had accepted his screw ups in the past and had tried to live a better life since then.

2. Ace felt the amount of money they offered him was below standard. The director said no one got rich off the documentary and it was almost made on a shoestring budget. Ace's concern according to Eddie was Gene and Paul possibly have thoughts of releasing a longer edition on DVD further down the road and Ace wanted a cut of the money made from that.
Di3go
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Di3go »

Ratmir wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:12 am Yes. Contrary to what many people he would like to think, when people bash Eddie Trunk here, often it's not because they can't handle his opinions about current KISS, but because he brags for half of the interviews which is annoying.
100% accurate.
shandi777

Post by shandi777 »

ClevelandRocker wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:40 am I found the interview very interesting as to why Ace didn't want to partake in the documentary.

1. Ace felt it would just be a bashing Ace show throughout the filming and not mention the strides he has made to remain sober for the last few decades. With Gene and Paul having editing approval they could edit any rebuttal he had out of the filming. Ace felt he had accepted his screw ups in the past and had tried to live a better life since then.

2. Ace felt the amount of money they offered him was below standard. The director said no one got rich off the documentary and it was almost made on a shoestring budget. Ace's concern according to Eddie was Gene and Paul possibly have thoughts of releasing a longer edition on DVD further down the road and Ace wanted a cut of the money made from that.
Two great reasons not to get involved.
Coventry1973
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Coventry1973 »

shandi777 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:16 am
ClevelandRocker wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:40 am I found the interview very interesting as to why Ace didn't want to partake in the documentary.

Two great reasons not to get involved.
Plus if they offered Ace a flat fee-- That's it. No royalties from anything else put out later down the road.
Maybe Ace and Peter did wise up in their old age, and not sign anything just thrown at them or offered to them.
weboes
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by weboes »

And then he runs out of time before he ask the questions you actually want to hear. That said I will always respect him for carrying the torch for all the metal bands I liked as a kid and for him being such a supporter of Kiss. When I found out about him in the late 90s is was mind blowing there was someone out there doing a Christmas show with all Kiss songs.
misterhand80
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by misterhand80 »

+1

I never have cared for Trunk. I also don't care that he was a KISS fan on radio or in the music industry.

I don't care.

I never have liked his style. Around here, there are a group of Trunk cheerleaders that can't understand that some, if not many, never liked the guy.

So he fought for KISS way back. Yay. Slow clap...

Trunk is worse now than before with the name dropping and turning interviews into pieces about himself. It's maddening trying to listen to a Trunk interview to grab info here and there from his guest whilst dodging his "look at me" interview skills.

Can we stop having Dave Grohl, Tom Morello, and Eddie Trunk involved with KISS or related projects for the next 5 years? Haven't we heard enough from these guys? Honorable mention to John 5 -- less is more, John. Don't go Sebastian Bach on us, please.
Doose

Post by Doose »

I'm surprised if DJ is a friend of Paul's that Paul allowed him to appear on Eddie's show.
Doose

Post by Doose »

DJ seems like a good guy. He definitely has a reverence towards Ace. Sounds like Peter and Gigi were total dicks to him when he came on board and tried to talk to them. I'm sure the producer that met with Gigi and Peter before DJ came on board had to listen to Gigi saying how Peter was the band's best songwriter, the best singer, the best looking, etc.

Interesting that DJ said there were 2,500 clips in Night 1 alone that had to be licensed.

They cut 2 1/2 minutes related to the discussion of "Beth," including where Gene and Paul take the piss out of Peter from not allowing them to use it. "Peter was denying the fans this moment," was what DJ said Gene's take was. Paul called Peter a "petulant child" in the clip that was taken out.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Clearly Curt Gooch completely lied about the impressive offer Ace got to be in this - if the director himself acknowledges what was obvious to the viewer - that this was made on shoe string budget.
Doose

Post by Doose »

Grand Classic wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:30 am Clearly Curt Gooch completely lied about the impressive offer Ace got to be in this - if the director himself acknowledges what was obvious to the viewer - that this was made on shoe string budget.
Curt Gooch lied? Imagine that.
SpinningAcorn
Banned
Banned

Post by SpinningAcorn »

Doose wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:06 am
Grand Classic wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:30 am Clearly Curt Gooch completely lied about the impressive offer Ace got to be in this - if the director himself acknowledges what was obvious to the viewer - that this was made on shoe string budget.

How much of his book is made up? I wonder if the bulk of the tour numbers in their book ,which weren't official box scores, are just made up from thin air.

Don't they have HITS only averaging like 900 more a night than the bloodbath crazy nights tour? So are we to believe kiss goes from famine to Feast with only 900 more a night?
aceeg
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by aceeg »

Ace and Peter were both right to not do it for those reasons!
Ace of Bass
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Ace of Bass »

SpinningAcorn wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:58 am
Doose wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:06 am

How much of his book is made up? I wonder if the bulk of the tour numbers in their book ,which weren't official box scores, are just made up from thin air.

Don't they have HITS only averaging like 900 more a night than the bloodbath crazy nights tour? So are we to believe kiss goes from famine to Feast with only 900 more a night?
I think the HITS tour benefited from being subsidized by the label for the supporting acts.
Doose

Post by Doose »

aceeg wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:50 pm

I just don't understand Gene and Paul's need to constantly denigrate Ace and Peter. Paul is sitting in his 10,000 sf home with millions in the bank and a successful tour...why the need to call Peter a "petulant child" for a documentary that you know will be seen in the mainstream? It says a lot more about Paul's state of mind than Peter's that, 20 years later, he's still holding this grudge.
ClevelandRocker
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by ClevelandRocker »

Doose wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:15 pm

I just don't understand Gene and Paul's need to constantly denigrate Ace and Peter. Paul is sitting in his 10,000 sf home with millions in the bank and a successful tour...why the need to call Peter a "petulant child" for a documentary that you know will be seen in the mainstream? It says a lot more about Paul's state of mind than Peter's that, 20 years later, he's still holding this grudge.
I applaud the director for not letting Gene and Paul go onto auto pilot and just give the same cookie cutter answers to all the questions. It sounded like he really wanted to show how the KISS legacy was that the KISS Army was not gonna be put down no matter how many obstacles it faced. I feel he did as good as a job with acknowledging all the members that contributed to what KISS believes in.

Sadly I feel Paul is still in this mindset of I did this and have continued to do it even without original members. He should be able to say at this point high upon his mansion top that everybody contributed to the legacy KISS will leave behind.
scottbassist
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scottbassist »

Yeah, Gayle King does the same thing every day on CBS This Morning. King, multiple times during each broadcast, inserts her opinion. It happens every story she or her co-anchors cover. You could make a drinking game out of it, due to King’s constant use of “I,” “my opinion,” “myself,” “I was talking with Oprah,” etc. It’s as if King and Trunk really think they themselves are the celebrities, and that their interviewees are less important.
KISSFACE

Post by KISSFACE »

Trunk should just interview Himself. Clear the room!
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

Is it possible for a KISS fan to not be annoying when discussing KISS? :wink:
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Mr Slow wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:11 am Here’s a 45 minute chat with KISSTORY director DJ Viola. Didn’t find out a lot but a decent interview nonetheless. Viola seems like a really good guy and his approach to working with Gene & Paul was rather refreshing.

But why does Trunk always find a way to bring it back to him, his friendship with Ace (and other members) and his KISS fandom? He must have done it a dozen times here. Make a drinking game out of it and you’ll be hammered 10 minutes in! 🍺🥴

Hater :D
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

scottbassist wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:27 pm
Yeah, Gayle King does the same thing every day on CBS This Morning. King, multiple times during each broadcast, inserts her opinion. It happens every story she or her co-anchors cover. You could make a drinking game out of it, due to King’s constant use of “I,” “my opinion,” “myself,” “I was talking with Oprah,” etc. It’s as if King and Trunk really think they themselves are the celebrities, and that their interviewees are less important.
To be fair, CBS hired King to do that among other things. They could hire anyone to just read the news or interview. They wanted Gayle to give her perspective as well.
scottbassist
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scottbassist »

Grand Classic wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:23 pm
To be fair, CBS hired King to do that among other things. They could hire anyone to just read the news or interview. They wanted Gayle to give her perspective as well.
But it sticks out like a sore thumb, especially since Tony and Anthony don’t do that. It’s one thing for them to give an opinion once in awhile, but Gayle, God love her, can’t go 7 seconds without making every story about her.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

scottbassist wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:49 pm
But it sticks out like a sore thumb, especially since Tony and Anthony don’t do that. It’s one thing for them to give an opinion once in awhile, but Gayle, God love her, can’t go 7 seconds without making every story about her.
I get what you are saying, but she is their "star" host.
ZachAttack

Post by ZachAttack »

Mr Slow wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:11 am But why does Trunk always find a way to bring it back to him, his friendship with Ace (and other members) and his KISS fandom?
scottbassist
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scottbassist »

Grand Classic wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:52 pm
scottbassist wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:49 pm

I get what you are saying, but she is their "star" host.
🙂
SpinningAcorn
Banned
Banned

Post by SpinningAcorn »

[/quote]

The only reason she was hired is because she's Oprah's quote special friend
aceeg

Post by aceeg »

Eric Carr the Fox was the 2nd biggest thing that happened to Kiss.
SpinningAcorn
Banned
Banned

Post by SpinningAcorn »

Doose wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:15 pm

No amount of money, no amount of analysis... nothing will make Paul a happy person.

Peter isn't much like George Foreman and how he turned his life around. Both group up gangs. Both were very angry. It probably took Peter longer than it did George, but both are at peace.

Peter doesn't get near enough credit for how he turned his life around.
SpinningAcorn
Banned
Banned

Post by SpinningAcorn »

aceeg wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:32 am Eric Carr the Fox was the 2nd biggest thing that happened to Kiss.
He was very good but I don't think the sales, tours and albums would agree with you.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

SpinningAcorn wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:28 am
[/quote]

Well she has a history of broadcast experience and knows what she is doing, so that helps too with CBS wanting her and it looks like audiences really like her since she is still there when others on the panel have come and gone.

In other words, she earned it. So no, it's not because of Oprah as she has no bearing on what CBS does and they wouldn't base a huge show for them around someone they didn't believe in. Not even someone you are suggesting is Oprah's lesbian girlfriend.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

SpinningAcorn wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:28 am
[/quote]

They're all paid to push a singular narrative.
AxlisKing
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by AxlisKing »

Sounds like fairly legit reasons to me. I find Trunk fairly insufferable, but will give him props for being part of the group that got Axl out of his cave and on the air for a 4 hour interview for the first time in a decade.
Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

Doose wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:58 am DJ seems like a good guy. He definitely has a reverence towards Ace. Sounds like Peter and Gigi were total dicks to him when he came on board and tried to talk to them. I'm sure the producer that met with Gigi and Peter before DJ came on board had to listen to Gigi saying how Peter was the band's best songwriter, the best singer, the best looking, etc.

Interesting that DJ said there were 2,500 clips in Night 1 alone that had to be licensed.

They cut 2 1/2 minutes related to the discussion of "Beth," including where Gene and Paul take the piss out of Peter from not allowing them to use it. "Peter was denying the fans this moment," was what DJ said Gene's take was. Paul called Peter a "petulant child" in the clip that was taken out.
I hope Paul cuts a single called "Petulant Child" with Soul Station.
steveh67

Post by steveh67 »

misterhand80 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:53 am
+1

I never have cared for Trunk. I also don't care that he was a KISS fan on radio or in the music industry.

I don't care.

I never have liked his style. Around here, there are a group of Trunk cheerleaders that can't understand that some, if not many, never liked the guy.

So he fought for KISS way back. Yay. Slow clap...

Trunk is worse now than before with the name dropping and turning interviews into pieces about himself. It's maddening trying to listen to a Trunk interview to grab info here and there from his guest whilst dodging his "look at me" interview skills.

Can we stop having Dave Grohl, Tom Morello, and Eddie Trunk involved with KISS or related projects for the next 5 years? Haven't we heard enough from these guys? Honorable mention to John 5 -- less is more, John. Don't go Sebastian Bach on us, please.
You are just jealous, because no one cares that you are KISS fan or wants your opinion. :lol:

Whilst Eddie Trunk does have his faults, we all do in some form or another.

You are just a nobody fan on a KISS forum (so am I), I dont think Eddie Trunk et al, are going to be concerned if you like them or not.