KISS makes the cut in top paid musicians of 2020.

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
d4nugster
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

KISS makes the cut in top paid musicians of 2020.

Post by d4nugster »

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eagles- ... musicians/

seems like the boys made it to billboard's list despite the pandemic.
Marc Aze
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Re: KISS makes the cut in top paid musicians of 2020.

Post by Marc Aze »

Thats good! 🤘🏼
mot$$33
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by mot$$33 »

If this is gross, $6M is practically nothing after expenses. We knew COVID decimated the music industry, and this is proof.
misterhand80
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by misterhand80 »

mot$$33 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:36 pm If this is gross, $6M is practically nothing after expenses. We knew COVID decimated the music industry, and this is proof.
Can you explain the breakdown of expenses for us?
ACESTATION
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by ACESTATION »

I haven't seen Bad Bunny but it's on my bucket list.
KISSFACE
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by KISSFACE »

Is Paul McCartney “The Beatles” now? If that was the shocking surprise reunion implied by the billing here, i’d expect them to be at the Top of this list! 😄

ETA: oh i see now, they’re estimating All sales, not touring alone.
Doose
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Doose »

Here's what the article says:

33. KISS: $6M

Last year’s rank: No. 8

Streaming: $431K

Sales: $348K

Publishing: $194.5K

Touring: $5M

KISS managed to play 20 shows in 2020, generating $14.8 million in ticket sales and $5 million in take-home pay, the sole reason the road warriors made the Money Makers list this year (and last year, too). More than any rock band’s fan base, the KISS Army is very late to the streaming party: Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley and company generated just 217 million combined streams.

---------------

So they're saying out of the $14.8 million in ticket sales, they took home $5 million from that?

Not included apparently: Meet & Greet sales, instrument sales, licensing, etc.
Doose

Post by Doose »

By comparison:

40. Aerosmith: $5.35M

Last year’s rank: No. 26

Streaming: $1.33M

Sales: $564K

Publishing: $840K

Touring: $2.7M

Aerosmith’s plans to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the band’s formation were cut short by the pandemic, but the group played eight shows during its Deuces Are Wild residency at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas before the curtain fell. That gave the band a $2.7 million touring payday. The act made another $1.33 million from the 785.6 million combined streams it amassed, which is typical for a group whose fans have been slow to adopt streaming.
Doose

Post by Doose »

Billboard Top for 2019:

8. KISS $26.7M

Live performances accounted for almost 96% of KISS’ annual take-home pay. The “Detroit Rock City” rockers earned over $25 million from what they’ve billed as their final End of the Road world tour. The group hasn’t fared as well in the streaming era as its heritage peers, generating only 240 million plays, which could explain the band’s artist and publishing royalties, which amount to just under $1 million.
Den Dennis
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Den Dennis »

Dubai payoff included?
ACESTATION

Post by ACESTATION »

I can remember when Forbes or a super official report came out around 2016-17 and KISS out sold NASCAR that particular year in merchandise.

Tom Snyder with ACE = "No Actually I'm a plumber"
lord71

Post by lord71 »

Doose wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:29 pm Here's what the article says:

KISS managed to play 20 shows in 2020, generating $14.8 million in ticket sales and $5 million in take-home pay, the sole reason the road warriors made the Money Makers list this year (and last year, too). More than any rock band’s fan base, the KISS Army is very late to the streaming party: Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley and company generated just 217 million combined streams.

---------------

So they're saying out of the $14.8 million in ticket sales, they took home $5 million from that?

Publishing of what? Do they still own some songs' publishing?
BC Witch
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by BC Witch »

---------------

These figures are interesting not least because, as far as I'm aware, KISS sold off their future publishing and record sale royalties in the 90s just before Larry Mazer started managing them. That would mean they don't get any royalties from streaming of the music involved in that deal either. It may be a bit more involved that them simply selling it all off but essentially they wouldn't be receiving that money for streaming, sales and publishing on the majority of their catalog.

Still, I'm sure they're making enough money in other areas!
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

KISSFACE wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:21 pm Is Paul McCartney “The Beatles” now? If that was the shocking surprise reunion implied by the billing here, i’d expect them to be at the Top of this list! 😄

The Beatles simply never stop selling records, old and new. They always have albums on the Billboard top-200 chart, and every 'deluxe' edition they put out always shoots right to #1 or close to it.

You know what band sold the most records in America from 2000-2009? The Beatles. And they were the second-most selling artist, after Eminem.
acefan1975
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by acefan1975 »

---------------

Well this shines a light on the other question from the thread about touring costs. It they grossed 14.8M and netted 5 then it cost in the ballpark of 10M to put on 20 shows, or 500K per show.
acefan1975
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by acefan1975 »

mot$$33 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:36 pm If this is gross, $6M is practically nothing after expenses. We knew COVID decimated the music industry, and this is proof.
Its net.
woodworm001
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by woodworm001 »

I'm getting old, I haven't heard of at half of those acts.
Doose

Post by Doose »

A Publishing Story
---------------------------
Many of us are familiar with the pop song “The lion sleeps tonight” which was a hit for Tight Fit in 1982. This song is an adaptation of an earlier version called “Wimoweh” recorded by The Weavers in the 1950s.

The original song, “Mbube” was written by Solomon Linda in 1939. It was a huge success in his native South Africa. Linda sold his rights to the song for 10 shillings (less than $US 2) to the record company shortly after the recording was made.

The original recording was discovered by American musicologist Alan Lomax in the 1950s who passed it on to his friend Pete Seeger who was in The Weavers. Seeger assumed the song was in the public domain so The Weavers credited it to Paul Campbell, a fictitious entity used to copyright material.

Years later the song was used by the Disney Corporation in their movie The Lion King, earning an estimated US $15 million in that movie alone. Solomon Linda didn’t see a penny of this and died in poverty in 1962.

In February 2006, Linda's heirs reached a legal settlement with Abilene Music, who held the worldwide rights and had licensed the song to Disney.
Legsofsteel
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Legsofsteel »

Doose wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:36 pm Billboard Top for 2019:

8. KISS $26.7M

Live performances accounted for almost 96% of KISS’ annual take-home pay. The “Detroit Rock City” rockers earned over $25 million from what they’ve billed as their final End of the Road world tour. The group hasn’t fared as well in the streaming era as its heritage peers, generating only 240 million plays, which could explain the band’s artist and publishing royalties, which amount to just under $1 million.
No wonder they still tour.
Mackemkiss

Post by Mackemkiss »

I'm not a huge fan of her music but it's good to see Billie Eilish doing that well. She's got more about her than most. Ed Sheeran is horrible mush
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Legsofsteel wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:17 pm

8. KISS $26.7M

Just push play
misterhand80
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by misterhand80 »

TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:00 pm
Legsofsteel wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:17 pm

8. KISS $26.7M

Just push play
Just get paid.
Miss Kitty
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Miss Kitty »

KISSFACE wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:21 pm Is Paul McCartney “The Beatles” now? If that was the shocking surprise reunion implied by the billing here, i’d expect them to be at the Top of this list! 😄

On a side note did everyone see the new video Paul put out with Beck where they de age him and have him dance? Not related to kiss but I'm going to put it up anyway. I hardly ever go off topic. They could make a de aged video like this with Kiss.

70skid

Post by 70skid »

Where is the Nibbler ? This is his kind of thread is it not ?
mot$$33
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by mot$$33 »

The Nibbs must be on vacation!
KISSFACE

Post by KISSFACE »

Miss Kitty wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:24 pm On a side note did everyone see the new video Paul put out with Beck where they de age him and have him dance? Not related to kiss but I'm going to put it up anyway. I hardly ever go off topic. They could make a de aged video like this with Kiss.
I hadn’t, thanks for the link!

If Original KISS got the digital deaging treatment so they could play themselves in a concert scene, would that get you out to see the Movie on an IMAX screen? 😃

It’s also a fun idea for a music video of a new studio collaboration for KISS 50. Maybe polish up an old demo like Smoke (not totally unlike what the Beatles did with a couple of rough Lennon demos for Anthology) with all-new instrumentation?

And in the video, it’s not just 1975 stage antics, they could even walk the streets all Dressed to Kill again. 😄

redinthesky

Post by redinthesky »

Mackemkiss wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:20 pm I'm not a huge fan of her music but it's good to see Billie Eilish doing that well. She's got more about her than most. Ed Sheeran is horrible mush
Billie's 'moody' act is already getting stale though. That's why she's starting to show a lot of skin. All her singles this year didn't do nearly as well as last year's. For young, female singers, Olivia Rodrigo absolutely blows Billie out of the water and has had massive success in her own young career. Two of her three singles this year have been #1 all over the world, and the other was right up there.
Chaim Wigz
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Chaim Wigz »

redinthesky wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:26 am
Mackemkiss wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:20 pm I'm not a huge fan of her music but it's good to see Billie Eilish doing that well. She's got more about her than most. Ed Sheeran is horrible mush
Billie's 'moody' act is already getting stale though. That's why she's starting to show a lot of skin. All her singles this year didn't do nearly as well as last year's. For young, female singers, Olivia Rodrigo absolutely blows Billie out of the water and has had massive success in her own young career. Two of her three singles this year have been #1 all over the world, and the other was right up there.
I always knew Billie would start showing a lot more skin, I’m sure that was the long term career plan from the beginning.

I also predict (and remember this!) that the moody image and bored teenager mumble vocals will be dropped next album cycle, and that she can actually sing. And more than sing well, she will belt it out. Mark my words. I may come back and bump this post some time in 2023. :)
nibbler1982

Post by nibbler1982 »

70skid wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:27 pm Where is the Nibbler ? This is his kind of thread is it not ?
It’s nice to be thought of.

Even with all of the disparagement I face here, people constantly still need to interject me into threads. Thanks.

Money Makers has been going on for years now. In my eyes it’s just a rehash of Billboard Boxscore. Which I can’t get enough of…although I’m already well aware of it’s contents. There’s just too much guesswork on their part when compiling this list. I’m drawn to the precise aspect of the boxscore. Their compilation just has too many holes in it for me.

They use a 34 percent rate across the board to figure out take home from gate receipts. I’m sure that’s a fine number to shoehorn everyone into a nice neat box, but a true scrutinization of real numbers, empirical evidence, and hard data would in reality go from soup to nuts.

Depending on where you are in your career and what you bring to the table your guarantee can go from 10% of gate receipts to actually OVER 100 PERCENT. For example, if a Billie Eilish show and a Rolling Stones show brought the same amount of people to a concert (just bear with me), it woukd mean a world of difference to a promoter. The Stones show would bring multiples of merch and concessions per head comparatively. Which is really what they’re looking for. Live Nation is in the hospitality business, not a rock promoter like the Ron Delsner days. Their guarantee will differ immensely. Yet both go through the same 34% conversion chart on the Money Makers list.

The “thirty four percent after expenses” is too broad a stroke for someone like myself who appreciates the absolute data incorporated in a boxscore. In the end it’s total guesswork.

The physical sales, streaming, and publishing part is interesting. But only in the aspect that the dinosaurs (however mighty they may be) make practically nothing off of it. The kids do well on it though. Good for them. Everyone gets their moment to shine I guess. Save your money. Not everyone is built to tour fifty years into their careers.

Nibbs has spoken.
redinthesky

Post by redinthesky »

Chaim Wigz wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:51 am
I always knew Billie would start showing a lot more skin, I’m sure that was the long term career plan from the beginning.

I also predict (and remember this!) that the moody image and bored teenager mumble vocals will be dropped next album cycle, and that she can actually sing. And more than sing well, she will belt it out. Mark my words. I may come back and bump this post some time in 2023. :)
I think you nailed the plan perfectly, Chaim. I should also say I have no problem with Billie showing more skin. She's old enough now where I can say that :)
SpinningAcorn
Banned
Banned

Post by SpinningAcorn »

---------------

I wonder how much of that publishing theymay actually see since they sell most of it off.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're taken from concert was even less than what they're saying. Kiss has tremendous touring expenses.

But I could see some of the same people around here thinking kiss was making a fortune during the dynasty days off Touring. While they were actually losing Millions.
70skid

Post by 70skid »

nibbler1982 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:07 am
70skid wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:27 pm Where is the Nibbler ? This is his kind of thread is it not ?

Even with all of the disparagement I face here, people constantly still need to interject me into threads. Thanks.

Money Makers has been going on for years now. In my eyes it’s just a rehash of Billboard Boxscore. Which I can’t get enough of…although I’m already well aware of it’s contents. There’s just too much guesswork on their part when compiling this list. I’m drawn to the precise aspect of the boxscore. Their compilation just has too many holes in it for me.

They use a 34 percent rate across the board to figure out take home from gate receipts. I’m sure that’s a fine number to shoehorn everyone into a nice neat box, but a true scrutinization of real numbers, empirical evidence, and hard data would in reality go from soup to nuts.

Depending on where you are in your career and what you bring to the table your guarantee can go from 10% of gate receipts to actually OVER 100 PERCENT. For example, if a Billie Eilish show and a Rolling Stones show brought the same amount of people to a concert (just bear with me), it woukd mean a world of difference to a promoter. The Stones show would bring multiples of merch and concessions per head comparatively. Which is really what they’re looking for. Live Nation is in the hospitality business, not a rock promoter like the Ron Delsner days. Their guarantee will differ immensely. Yet both go through the same 34% conversion chart on the Money Makers list.

The “thirty four percent after expenses” is too broad a stroke for someone like myself who appreciates the absolute data incorporated in a boxscore. In the end it’s total guesswork.
By
The physical sales, streaming, and publishing part is interesting. But only in the aspect that the dinosaurs (however mighty they may be) make practically nothing off of it. The kids do well on it though. Good for them. Everyone gets their moment to shine I guess. Save your money. Not everyone is built to tour fifty years into their careers.

Nibbs has spoken.
Excellent ! Although I disagree with you on some things in principal, there is no denying that you are very knowledgeable on the business end of entertainment. I always read your analysis / reports with interest. This thread needed your input.
nibbler1982

Post by nibbler1982 »

70skid wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:06 pm
nibbler1982 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:07 am

By

Nibbs has spoken.
Excellent ! Although I disagree with you on some things in principal, there is no denying that you are very knowledgeable on the business end of entertainment. I always read your analysis / reports with interest. This thread needed your input.
I’m always open for any honest interaction.

We certainly DO NOT always agree.

Although what kind of fun would that be?
Doose

Post by Doose »

Gene and Paul aren't going to go out there night after night at the ages of 73 and 69 unless they are making BANK each night. The idea that they would tour to break even or just make money from Meet & Greets and Merchandise is kind of ridiculous. If the tour was tanking or barely breaking even, the pandemic gave them the perfect opportunity to bow out and save face. But they haven't done that. Instead, they've got shows booked almost a year into 2022. Touring is wildly profitable for them and promoters.
Chaim Wigz
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Chaim Wigz »

redinthesky wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:51 am
Chaim Wigz wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:51 am

I think you nailed the plan perfectly, Chaim. I should also say I have no problem with Billie showing more skin. She's old enough now where I can say that :)
I cautiously held back, so I’m glad you said it first.. Me neither. No problem at all! :lol:
Strutterer
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Strutterer »

---------------

The streaming amount was surprising initially, but after some thought it's reasonable. Kiss doesn't have the radio friendly, mega hits like some other bands from the era. A lot of Spotify streams come from playlists, and it's more likely you'll see "Highway to Hell" or "Walk this Way" on a pre-done classic rock list than "Detroit Rock City" or even "Rock and Roll All Nite." Lower inclusions equals lower volumes.

Plus, maybe Kiss fans stream less because they have every friggin' song 5-10 times on studio albums, live albums, compilations, etc. :lol: No reason to stream music that's already on my iTunes!
SpinningAcorn
Banned
Banned

Post by SpinningAcorn »

Doose wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:16 pm Gene and Paul aren't going to go out there night after night at the ages of 73 and 69 unless they are making BANK each night. The idea that they would tour to break even or just make money from Meet & Greets and Merchandise is kind of ridiculous. If the tour was tanking or barely breaking even, the pandemic gave them the perfect opportunity to bow out and save face. But they haven't done that. Instead, they've got shows booked almost a year into 2022. Touring is wildly profitable for them and promoters.
That five million they cleared from touring was only through the second week of March wasn't it? And that's not including they're kind of merchandise sales, experiences and other things.

Maybe they cleared 7 to 8 million in 10 to 11 weeks.

So maybe they clear 40 million in a full year.

And at least this year Gene will finally not be giving such a huge cut to the state of California.

I bet he now wishes he had 25 years of taxes he paid to the state of California in his bank account . . Since the reunion.
kisshall2

Post by kisshall2 »

Paul Stanley and company generated just 217 million combined streams.
Shouldn't the story really be that for 217 million combined streams they were paid $431,000... or .001986 cents per stream? Bands are getting ripped off again.
SpinningAcorn
Banned
Banned

Post by SpinningAcorn »

kisshall2 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:17 am

Shouldn't the story really be that for 217 million combined streams they were paid $431,000... or .001986 cents per stream? Bands are getting ripped off again.
Kiss you do like some other artists and remove their songs from streaming. It's incredible how much streaming services rip-off artists.
nibbler1982

Post by nibbler1982 »

kisshall2 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:17 am

Yeah, let’s elaborate more on that aspect of the list.

KISS - all aspects of music sales OTHER than touring.

$973,500 TOTAL? WTF???

I don’t know if that’s gonna pay for Paul and Gene’s landscaping bill. Geez, I didn’t know what it was but I thought it would be better than that. It is what it is. Although then again, let’s look at how an absolute powerhouse old school artist fared in the same categories.

Billy Joel
Streaming: $1.7M
Sales: $310K
Publishing: $986K

$2,996,000 TOTAL

Billy Joel, whether you like him or not has sold a ton of albums and has an equally amount of bonafide hits throughout his career. Three number one’s, thirteen top ten, and thirty three top forty hits. He can tour and make $100M a year for as many years as he wishes. Although $3M is plenty of money, I’m not sure it’s a whole lot in his world.

AND KISS SOLD MORE ALBUMS THAN HIM?

Let’s look at some group(?) I’ve never heard of in my life.

YoungBoy Never Broke Again
Streaming: $10M
Sales: $126K
Publishing: $1.7M

That’s a little more like it. Don’t know who they are, but good for them.

Im glad for the heritage acts sake that they can still tour and make a killing. I’m also glad for Paul and Gene that the sell $200M a year in merchandise. If not the $1M a year (to SPLIT that is) in “KISS music sales” just ain’t gonna cut it.
Doose

Post by Doose »

Interesting to note in the article that the legacy bands that OWN their own masters - Queen, AC/DC, etc. - do well in streaming income. Queen made $5.5 million. AC/DC made $5.4 million.

Metallica made $3.9 million from streaming, and the article pointed out:

"Like AC/DC and Queen, Metallica owns its masters, which means the band’s royalties are calculated at a rate of 78% (from which 4% goes to the producers of its albums)."