Funny VV story

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
JupiterJones
Banned
Banned

Funny VV story

Post by JupiterJones »

At some point, probably early 1990 I got an advanced CD of Slaughter's Stick It To Ya from someone in the industry. I listened to it and was horrified by it...so I took a hammer to it, gathered the pieces and mailed it to Vinnie at Enigma Records along with a note that said something like “I put an end to some horrible music” along with a picture of my Vinnie (in make-up) jean jacket I had commissioned and how I wanted to get him to sign it someday.

(Vinnie was recording Guitars From Hell and working with KISS on Revenge around this time too.)

Enigma Records folded then Vinnie disappeared...until if I remember correctly ads started appearing in metal mags in 1996 about pre-ordering The EP (which was later remastered and retitled as Euphoria). I sent in my money order and waited...I was not happy with the quality of the "finished" product of what sounded like demos with a drum machine.

Shortly after Vinnie announced an in store appearance at Slipped Disc Records in Valley Stream, NY (RIP). I was freaked out-of-my-mind but I knew I had to go! I grabbed a friend to drive me out there. We were lined up out back and I remember some of the staff grousing that Vinnie was being difficult...I didn’t care, I was going to see Vinnie! Once I got up to the desk where Vinnie was signing I remember I was sweating like crazy from nerves, and I plopped the jacket down in front of him. “This is the guy!” he turned to his wife and said, then turned to me “you're the guy!” He told me he framed the letter I had sent with the smashed CD. “That is the coolest thing anyone has ever done!” He told me...I fumbled out a question “what happened to Guitars From Hell?” and he replied “aborted.” I said “I really like Wild Child, it’s dance metal!” (a quote he later used in promotional materials.) I must have handed someone some money because I walked out with the Euphoria EP but I didn’t get it signed.
banks
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Funny VV story

Post by banks »

:lol:
ACESTATION
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by ACESTATION »

:lol:
Chaim Wigz
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Chaim Wigz »

Haha that’s great! 😅
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

Great story! While I don't think Stick It To Ya was groundbreaking stuff; not sure if it was smash-worthy!? :lol: I bought it and remember thinking at the time that it could have made for a good VVI album with Vinnie involved. There was a few decent tunes on it..

I'd gotten used to Mark Slaughter as I played ASG a lot more than the debut back then!
Vinnie Saves Coupons
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Vinnie Saves Coupons »

OP's story is ripped off from Curveboy's Hoffman board post from last week:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... t-27326361
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Phyllis Simmons wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:00 am Great story! While I don't think Stick It To Ya was groundbreaking stuff; not sure if it was smash-worthy!? :lol: I bought it and remember thinking at the time that it could have made for a good VVI album with Vinnie involved. There was a few decent tunes on it..

I'd gotten used to Mark Slaughter as I played ASG a lot more than the debut back then!
Stick it To Ya allowed Kiss to tour for HITS
ZachAttack

Post by ZachAttack »

Vinnie Saves Coupons wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:46 pm OP's story is ripped off from Curveboy's Hoffman board post from last week:

Probably the same guy
Vinnie Saves Coupons
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

ZachAttack wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:49 pm
Vinnie Saves Coupons wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:46 pm OP's story is ripped off from Curveboy's Hoffman board post from last week:

Probably the same guy

I'd be surprised if it was. From what I've seen, Curveboy seems very different than the OP (except for this post).
Leo05
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Leo05 »

Funny story.

However.......

I never really liked Slaughter, but I find it hard to understand Vinnie making fun of them
Since the date of that event, Slaugther released 5 albums.
VV none.
And he screwed up several ...
67Kiss
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by 67Kiss »

Good story, and I also felt the same way when I heard Slaughter 😃
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Great story though. Hope it's true, and also not stolen.

I wonder why OP was banned.
d4nugster
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by d4nugster »

slaughter was never my cup of tea, i just hated the vocals. that said, i find the stick it to ya' album a tad bit more listenable than the first vvi record.
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

Danny Tanner from Full House pretended to be a Slaughter fan to impress a girl. Needless to say, it did not go over too well.
torgotheme
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by torgotheme »

southernkiss wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:09 pm Danny Tanner from Full House pretended to be a Slaughter fan to impress a girl. Needless to say, it did not go over too well.
Nice reference. If I recall, he also jumped around singing "Rock and Roll All Nite" in an attempt to be youthful and cool.
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

torgotheme wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:19 pm
southernkiss wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:09 pm Danny Tanner from Full House pretended to be a Slaughter fan to impress a girl. Needless to say, it did not go over too well.
Nice reference. If I recall, he also jumped around singing "Rock and Roll All Nite" in an attempt to be youthful and cool.
That is correct. Does anyone know if Gene tried to sue him?
torgotheme
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by torgotheme »

southernkiss wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:22 pm
Uncle Jesse also played a polka version of R&RAN in an episode. Chaim is clearly owed money.
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

torgotheme wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:37 pm
Uncle Jesse also played a polka version of R&RAN in an episode. Chaim is clearly owed money.
Stamos also played in a movie with Gene. Maybe they worked out a settlement agreement behind the scenes.
misterhand80
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by misterhand80 »

James Christian and Lanny Cordola from House Of Lords (on Simmons Records) performed on Full House. Lanny appeared quite often. I think Ken Mary also did drums on some episodes.

@ 3:00

KISSFACE
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by KISSFACE »

Phyllis Simmons wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:00 am I'd gotten used to Mark Slaughter as I played ASG a lot more than the debut back then!
Kinda makes me wonder — Is he still out there, being all Mark Slaughter on the stage, in front of people?
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

misterhand80 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:58 pm

James Christian and Lanny Cordola from House Of Lords (on Simmons Records) performed on Full House. Lanny appeared quite often. I think Ken Mary also did drums on some episodes.

@ 3:00

That is a very interesting piece of trivia. I had never heard that before.
Curveboy

Post by Curveboy »

JupiterJones wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:34 pm At some point, probably early 1990 I got an advanced CD of Slaughter's Stick It To Ya from someone in the industry. I listened to it and was horrified by it...so I took a hammer to it, gathered the pieces and mailed it to Vinnie at Enigma Records along with a note that said something like “I put an end to some horrible music” along with a picture of my Vinnie (in make-up) jean jacket I had commissioned and how I wanted to get him to sign it someday.

(Vinnie was recording Guitars From Hell and working with KISS on Revenge around this time too.)

Enigma Records folded then Vinnie disappeared...until if I remember correctly ads started appearing in metal mags in 1996 about pre-ordering The EP (which was later remastered and retitled as Euphoria). I sent in my money order and waited...I was not happy with the quality of the "finished" product of what sounded like demos with a drum machine.

Shortly after Vinnie announced an in store appearance at Slipped Disc Records in Valley Stream, NY (RIP). I was freaked out-of-my-mind but I knew I had to go! I grabbed a friend to drive me out there. We were lined up out back and I remember some of the staff grousing that Vinnie was being difficult...I didn’t care, I was going to see Vinnie! Once I got up to the desk where Vinnie was signing I remember I was sweating like crazy from nerves, and I plopped the jacket down in front of him. “This is the guy!” he turned to his wife and said, then turned to me “you're the guy!” He told me he framed the letter I had sent with the smashed CD. “That is the coolest thing anyone has ever done!” He told me...I fumbled out a question “what happened to Guitars From Hell?” and he replied “aborted.” I said “I really like Wild Child, it’s dance metal!” (a quote he later used in promotional materials.) I must have handed someone some money because I walked out with the Euphoria EP but I didn’t get it signed.
Thanks for stealing my story and post from another message board.
Curveboy

Post by Curveboy »

Yes, thanks...this is indeed my story and I believe I've told it here on this board in the past as well.
atowntommy
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by atowntommy »

DonnaDixon wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:58 pm

Me too. I miss the days when the admins would list the bans and reasons. I get that it's time consuming. C'est la vie.
Vinnie Saves Coupons
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Curveboy wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:32 am

Yes, thanks...this is indeed my story and I believe I've told it here on this board in the past as well.
Thanks for the confirmation, and thanks for the story.
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

atowntommy wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:56 am

Me too. I miss the days when the admins would list the bans and reasons. I get that it's time consuming. C'est la vie.
Well, for this one he did say the reason...

viewtopic.php?p=3313910#p3313910
rwgriffith
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by rwgriffith »

That is pretty shitty to steal someone's personal story.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

atowntommy wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:56 am

So there aren't even any warnings?! Or explanations? No discussion? No way to appeal?
Julien
Whee Wan

Post by Julien »

DonnaDixon wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:14 am So there aren't even any warnings?! Or explanations? No discussion? No way to appeal?
You seem awfully hung up on the mechanics of how this place works. It's pretty simple, if folk aren't "jerks" there generally isn't any drama. There's an extensive TOS for those who need specifics, but new cases and situations arise. We do the best we can, taking into account severity (subjective) and context. I've gotten it wrong before, I'll get it wrong again, I'll just keep trying until it's no longer worth it, and then pull the plug.

joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

DonnaDixon wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:14 am So there aren't even any warnings?! Or explanations? No discussion? No way to appeal?
From what I've observed, it's usually one of two things:

1) person say something they should damn well know better than to say
or
2) person regularly tests the limits of what they can get away with

Either one should come as no surprise if/when you get clipped...
rwgriffith
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by rwgriffith »

Julien wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:19 am
You seem awfully hung up on the mechanics of how this place works. It's pretty simple, if folk aren't "jerks" there generally isn't any drama. There's an extensive TOS for those who need specifics, but new cases and situations arise. We do the best we can, taking into account severity (subjective) and context. I've gotten it wrong before, I'll get it wrong again, I'll just keep trying until it's no longer worth it, and then pull the plug.

Yeah, it isn't rocket science. The ones who get banned KNOW they are being assholes, but keep pushing their bullshit. I worry that one day the FAQ will close up shop due to the behavior of some of the people who post here.
DonnaDixon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by DonnaDixon »

Julien wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:19 am

Mechanics?? I asked a question.

How does that make me "hung up"?
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

Ohh, ohh...I thought of a potential 3rd reason!

3) Smart off to and/or annoy the admin...

and may as well throw in a bonus

4) Ignore warnings from staff

Not sure I've personally witnessed 3 or 4 happen yet (unless you count calling admin an effin' prick, but I think that falls more under reason 1,) but they seem like good bets on how to go about getting banned.
Julien
Whee Wan

Post by Julien »

joma5477 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:25 pm 3) Smart off to and/or annoy the admin...
Not really. I have a high tolerance for bullshit. Now, taking discussion way off topic, now that really grinds my gears...
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

Julien wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:34 pm
joma5477 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:25 pm 3) Smart off to and/or annoy the admin...
Not really. I have a high tolerance for bullshit. Now, taking discussion way off topic, now that really grinds my gears...
I'll take that as a friendly warning and not look to experience reason 4 firsthand! :salut:

So....anyone got any more funny Vinnie stories?
southernkiss

Post by southernkiss »

joma5477 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:42 pm
I'll take that as a friendly warning and not look to experience reason 4 firsthand! :salut:

I broke my leg last night. I called an ambulance. I looked out the ambulance window and saw a car speeding behind us and tailgating us through every last turn. As soon as the ambulance doors opened, Vinnie was right in front of me! He asked if I would pay him to sign my cast. I had to tell him they had not even put it on yet!
Julien
Whee Wan

Post by Julien »

joma5477 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:42 pm I'll take that as a friendly warning and not look to experience reason 4 firsthand! :salut:
No, LOL. ;)
atowntommy
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by atowntommy »

southernkiss wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:59 pm
joma5477 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:42 pm

I broke my leg last night. I called an ambulance. I looked out the ambulance window and saw a car speeding behind us and tailgating us through every last turn. As soon as the ambulance doors opened, Vinnie was right in front of me! He asked if I would pay him to sign my cast. I had to tell him they had not even put it on yet!
That's a nice changeup on ambulance chassing lawyer jokes. Well done!