Peter Criss refused to allow "Beth" to be used in the new A&E: KISStory documentary

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Andy Capp
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Re: Peter Criss refused to allow "Beth" to be used in the new A&E: KISStory documentary

Post by Andy Capp »

Julien wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:40 pm If you have a cat, you know they knock random shit off shelves for no reason. Cats fucking rule.
they certainly do---- old Andy`s Cat rules his house....
Much Too Soon
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: Peter Criss refused to allow "Beth" to be used in the new A&E: KISStory documentary

Post by Much Too Soon »

battra wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:41 pm
Much Too Soon wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:06 pm
battra wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:23 pm
Much Too Soon wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:09 pm Peter and Ace went with a different crowd…drugs and alcohol..and it cost them dearly.
People in their ears giving them bad advice and leeching on them and feeding their
addictions. Don’t blame anyone else but P&A for their choices. With choices come
consequences.
Indeed.

And yet...

Without Ace and Peter...

We're not talking about Gene and Paul.

What a kick in the dick that's gotta be.
That’s ALL you folks talk about here is Gene and Paul. 🤪🤨😛😋😄😃😂😌😊😂🤣
Define “you folks” in this instance.
The FAQ attAQ squad.
Super Bee
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Super Bee »

Doose wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:56 pm

Gene and Paul didn't offer Ace and Peter anything. It's the production company that made the offer, and they were given a budget for the project by A&E. Gene and Paul really don't have any control over what was offered, and Ace and Peter were probably offered very standard amounts for a cable network project like this.
Agreed.

Plus, I guess I have a little different take on this.

Peter and Ace have done hundreds of interviews since leaving KISS. Why would A&E give them stacks of cash?

In my opinion, even if the interviews they run are a few years old, the casual viewer will not know or care. Hopefully Peter and Ace did not think they had Gene, Paul and A&E right where they wanted them, because they never really did.
Much Too Soon
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Much Too Soon »

GACatmandu wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:40 pm
Much Too Soon wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:09 pm Peter and Ace went with a different crowd…drugs and alcohol..and it cost them dearly.
People in their ears giving them bad advice and leeching on them and feeding their
addictions. Don’t blame anyone else but P&A for their choices. With choices come
consequences.
What the hell does any of that have to do with not getting paid for working on a documentary, and being able to have a say in final editing of their part in the thing?
The law of unintended consequences my friend. If you cannot understand this simple statement no amount of my explaining will help.
B5Erik
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

In the Suds wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:10 pm
uldwych wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:49 pm
In the Suds wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:16 pm
B5Erik wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:11 pm

But Peter doesn't own anything. The recording is owned by Universal, and the publishing/songwriting rights are owned by someone else. Peter owns neither of those things.
Source?
Kiss sold their catalogue back in 1988 to Horipro Music (now Mojo music the other company that bought Horipro). And Universal has the rights to release Kiss music and I think Mojo is the one who have the rights to explored Kiss music… I really don’t understand why Peter could have any word on that…
Well, he has obviously retained at least part of his publishing on this and has some control...
Source?

:wink:
In the Suds
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by In the Suds »

B5Erik wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:36 pm

Source?
Kiss sold their catalogue back in 1988 to Horipro Music (now Mojo music the other company that bought Horipro). And Universal has the rights to release Kiss music and I think Mojo is the one who have the rights to explored Kiss music… I really don’t understand why Peter could have any word on that…
Well, he has obviously retained at least part of his publishing on this and has some control...
Source?

:wink:
Paul Stanley. https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/peter ... cumentary/
GACatmandu

Post by GACatmandu »

Much Too Soon wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:32 pm
consequences.
What the hell does any of that have to do with not getting paid for working on a documentary, and being able to have a say in final editing of their part in the thing?
The law of unintended consequences my friend. If you cannot understand this simple statement no amount of my explaining will help.
In other words not a single thing. Thanks for a none answer.
battra

Post by battra »

Much Too Soon wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:27 pm
battra wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:23 pm

Indeed.

And yet...

Without Ace and Peter...

We're not talking about Gene and Paul.

What a kick in the dick that's gotta be.
The FAQ attAQ squad.
As you attacked Ace and Peter, are you talking about yourself?

;)
aceclone
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by aceclone »

uldwych wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:49 pm But Peter doesn't own anything. The recording is owned by Universal, and the publishing/songwriting rights are owned by someone else. Peter owns neither of those things.

You are correct regarding licensing, that Peter does not own the rights to the to any KISS version of "Beth," although he many own the licensing rights for the CRISS version, but that's neither here nor there.

If Peter did sell his publishing, he isn't getting any royalties either. However, Peter Criss is still listed as the majority songwriter of "Beth" (although many argue Stan Pendridge and Bob Ezrin wrote more of the finished "Beth" as we know it than Peter) and that gives Peter the power over sync rights. In a nutshell, sync rights pertains to when you use a song in a different medium than just audio, in this case, a video documentary. Peter, being the majority song writer, can straight up DENY them using the song in the doc or ask for whatever fee he wants. And if he did demand a fee, it was something A&E were not willing or able to pay.
Ratmir

Post by Ratmir »

I'm kinda glad Peter refused
Doose

Post by Doose »

Ratmir wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:22 pm I'm kinda glad Peter refused
I'm not. Things like the A&E doc are what will survive into the future, and for Peter to not be represented basically just minimizes his own legacy by his own hands.
LiveToWin
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by LiveToWin »

They could use the Eric Carr version?
Much Too Soon
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Much Too Soon »

battra wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:48 pm
Much Too Soon wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:27 pm

The FAQ attAQ squad.
As you attacked Ace and Peter, are you talking about yourself?

;)
“Attacked”….riiight. 🙄
Much Too Soon
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Much Too Soon »

GACatmandu wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:40 pm
consequences.
“In other words”…. you possess the mind of a child. 👶🏼
Much Too Soon
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Much Too Soon »

If they participated, He and Ace could’ve had several other platforms open up to them after the documentary aired, where I’m sure they could get their story out there. Everybody loves DIRT.
crimsonharpoon
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by crimsonharpoon »

I'll admit to knowing absolutely zero about the legalities of all of this, but seems odd that a snippet of a Kiss song couldn't be used in a Kiss documentary without one of the three listed songwriters approving it. I mean, it's not as if they're going to play the song in its entirety. If anything, you'd assume it would be playing for about 30-45 seconds behind clips of the band members and Ezrin talking. And even then, it's likely they;d only play the instrumental section without the vocal anyway.

Would it require Pete's permission if they played a live version from a concert video? In other words, does he only have veto power over the original studio recording? The whole scenario just seems weird to me.
GACatmandu

Post by GACatmandu »

Much Too Soon wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:24 pm

If someone does work they get paid no one has the right to expect anyone to do work for free. Also, if someone does said work they have the right to say how that work being done is used especially in a case like this. If you don't understand that the problem might be yours.
aceclone
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by aceclone »

LiveToWin wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:20 pm They could use the Eric Carr version?
No. Licensing any KISS version of "Beth," all goes through Universal. That's not the issue. Even if Peter sold his publishing, while he would not be collecting the revenue, he is still the documented majority writer of the song. He can still deny sync rights because he "wrote" the song, even if someone else is collecting the check on how many times the song gets played.
aceclone
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by aceclone »

crimsonharpoon wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:28 pm I'll admit to knowing absolutely zero about the legalities of all of this, but seems odd that a snippet of a Kiss song couldn't be used in a Kiss documentary without one of the three listed songwriters approving it. I mean, it's not as if they're going to play the song in its entirety. If anything, you'd assume it would be playing for about 30-45 seconds behind clips of the band members and Ezrin talking. And even then, it's likely they;d only play the instrumental section without the vocal anyway.

Would it require Pete's permission if they played a live version from a concert video? In other words, does he only have veto power over the original studio recording? The whole scenario just seems weird to me.
Peter is the majority songwriter, he can veto any use of the song that's not strictly an audio representation.
Tito

Post by Tito »

Just have Singer tickle the ivories, problem solved.
Much Too Soon
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Much Too Soon »

GACatmandu wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:52 pm

If someone does work they get paid no one has the right to expect anyone to do work for free. Also, if someone does said work they have the right to say how that work being done is used especially in a case like this. If you don't understand that the problem might be yours.
Um..OK 👶🏼
lord71

Post by lord71 »

GACatmandu wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:52 pm

yep
misterhand80
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by misterhand80 »

I look forward to comments and opinions from Peter (Ace/Bruce/...vinnie) after the doc airs.
UltraCynic
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by UltraCynic »

Doose wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:52 pm
I'm not. Things like the A&E doc are what will survive into the future, and for Peter to not be represented basically just minimizes his own legacy by his own hands.
Actually, I think you’ll find that he refused to participate precisely because G&P are trying to minimise his legacy.
B5Erik
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

"Peter is the majority songwriter."

:lol:

I mean, come on...

(Stan Penridge and Bob Ezrin would take exception to that. Well, Stan would if he were still alive, anyway.)
sugardaddy

Post by sugardaddy »

Peter n Ace butt hurt shit stirrers....just like Paul and Gene
banks

Post by banks »

An honest Kiss documentary is a contradiction in terms. Even if everyone who's ever been in the band - who's still alive - was involved, it would still be a piece of superficial, calculated entertainment. So IMO we might as well relax.

EDIT:

Referring to A&P not being involved, not to Beth...
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

Peter Criss, the world-renowned composer.
woodworm001
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by woodworm001 »

Surprised Peter would have any say in it. He didn't stop Eric Carr re recording it and I'm sure he would of if he had the power to.
norsemen
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by norsemen »

70skid wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:52 pm …..and repeating the bashing of GiGi from the Gospel According To Paul. You know why Paul doesn’t like GiGi ? Because she got in the way of his business. She stood up for Peter better than any of his lawyers and agents. She has stood with Peter for some 23-24 years now through thick and thin. You know what ? Behind the scenes….they both respect GiGi and know that she is good for him.
Gigi entering the frame was so Spinal Tap

TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Doose wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:52 pm
100% right.
caligari

Post by caligari »

consequences.
💧

Yeah, this went on a few more posts,
But this, was the crux of the biscuit.

I ❤️ a good “FAQ KISS PISS MATCH”!💦

I say game point goes to ...

Much To Soon
for the win !!
Julien
Whee Wan

Post by Julien »

It seems trust and respect play an important part in all of this, not just some of the business stuff that some are posting incorrect stuff about. After decades of being bashed by their former partners, I don't doubt that the amount of money offered for the interview would be impressive to some. I didn't think so, but everything is relative. And to have no say how that material is used, or the context in which it is set or set up? After those decades, I wouldn't be so trusting either. So, if not 100% comfortable with the business, best to politely decline.

As for "Beth," who here really knows the business side? I don't, or at least what I do know I don't think I can properly explain, so I don't try. It's complex, and there's a plethora of rights. But the end point is that "Beth" is not there. KISS' biggest hit. Yup. The one Paul was answered on The Talk. That will be noted. That will be discussed. It's loudly present even with its absence, and for me, is a most perfect execution of power with a velvet glove. Many would have just included it and said "sue us," if they really felt their rights were being held hostage. That didn't happen either.

And the BS about "do it for the fans." Nope. After 50 years of music, "thank you, make yourself happy. You owe us nothing."

Watch the A&E thing. Most people here will fill in the blanks. Take notes, then let's discuss once you've seen it.
Coventry1973
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Coventry1973 »

Funny how Paul and Gene seem so upset that Peter wouldn't let them use it when Paul and Gene didn't even want the biggest hit of their career on the album in the first place.
Way to go Peter!! After all the bullshit of bashing you finally hit 'em and they didn't know how to react, except to say that you're the problem.
Tito

Post by Tito »

Just a wild guess, Peter probably wasn't best pleased with the Elton Singer business in the EOTR show either.
uldwych
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by uldwych »

B5Erik wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:11 pm

But Peter doesn't own anything. The recording is owned by Universal, and the publishing/songwriting rights are owned by someone else. Peter owns neither of those things.
Source?
Well, he has obviously retained at least part of his publishing on this and has some control...unless Gene and Paul are lying. Which I normally wouldn't put past them, but in this case I am inclined to believe what they are saying because you know they want that song in the show.
Maybe Julian Gill could help us with this one… I know Peter remained as a fully participating member of the band until 84/85 earning royalties shares from records that’s he didn't even participate in… so Kiss corporate renegotiated their terms and by this time and (as my infos) Peter sold everything to Gene and Paul (Kiss Corp) even the rights to his makeup and music… otherwise Kiss couldn't have sold his entire catalog in 1988 to Horipro music and nowadays Mojo Music control the Kiss publishing rights for whole catalogue… to explore the songs as they want in Ads, Media, TV etc. But I know this is really a controversial discussion… 🤟🏻
Coventry1973
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Coventry1973 »

woodworm001 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:33 am Surprised Peter would have any say in it. He didn't stop Eric Carr re recording it and I'm sure he would of if he had the power to.
They (Gene) asked Peter if they could use Beth on Smashes Thrashes and Hits.
Peter gave him his blessing. Gene left out one important piece of information that he "forgot" to tell Peter. After it was done, there was nothing Peter could do.
Coventry1973
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Coventry1973 »

Doose wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:13 pm
TwistedTaste wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:40 pm
Doose wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:24 pm
TwistedTaste wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:17 pm

The way they used and discarded Peter for the Aerosmith tour I concur.
No one forced Peter to do that tour. He had all the bargaining power in the world - no Peter, no three original members, no tour.

Entirely Peter and Gigi's fault.
What r u talking about? Peter signed on thinking Ace was gonna be there.
And THAT you believe? C'mon. Don't be so naive.
Peter was told by Joe Perry that Ace wasn't going to be on the tour. Why up until then would he even think that Ace wouldn't be on board? That right there says all you need to know how Paul and Gene and Doc manipulate things.
JohnBergless

Post by JohnBergless »

Couldn’t they use the STH re-do with Eric Carr instead?
aceclone
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by aceclone »

Tito wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:24 pm Just have Singer tickle the ivories, problem solved.
Now you mention it, I wonder if Peter is going to block them from having it on the Dubai DVD/Bluray?
aceclone
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by aceclone »

B5Erik wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:43 pm "Peter is the majority songwriter."

I mean, come on...

(Stan Penridge and Bob Ezrin would take exception to that. Well, Stan would if he were still alive, anyway.)
The way the publishing is split legally. Peter owns the majority share. I mentioned that before that Stan and Bob had more to do with the song than Peter did.
aceclone
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by aceclone »

woodworm001 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:33 am Surprised Peter would have any say in it. He didn't stop Eric Carr re recording it and I'm sure he would of if he had the power to.
Again, the issue is different formats. Universal and KISS can release a million versions of the song ON AUDIO ONLY with whomever they want singing on it.

Anyone can cover the song legally, as long as they pay the mechanical rights and they will own the licensing rights to their version. The only restriction is with sync rights.
pepperkitty
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by pepperkitty »

Andy Capp wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:21 pm
Julien wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:40 pm If you have a cat, you know they knock random shit off shelves for no reason. Cats fucking rule.
they certainly do---- old Andy`s Cat rules his house....
I guess I’m lucky, THE PepperKitty isn’t a climber. She gets up on her window perch that I built for her but that’s about it. The only thing she will swat over is if ya leave a cup of water on the floor next to a chair or the couch. Anything else on the floor she don’t care. I have about 30 Godzilla figures on the floor around the tv stand. She can’t be bothered, leave a cup on the floor and within 10 seconds,SLAP! :D
aceclone
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by aceclone »

JohnBergless wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:51 am Couldn’t they use the STH re-do with Eric Carr instead?
No. Peter is still legally the majority owner of the song (on paper), even if he doesn't receive royalty money.
crimsonharpoon
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by crimsonharpoon »

Will similar circumstances come into play with Lick It Up and/or I Love It Loud? Surely if there's one person that Paul would want to NOT have to deal with more than Peter it would be Vinnie, but it would be pretty difficult to tell the story of 1982-83 without using those two tracks.
aceclone
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by aceclone »

crimsonharpoon wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:39 am Will similar circumstances come into play with Lick It Up and/or I Love It Loud? Surely if there's one person that Paul would want to NOT have to deal with more than Peter it would be Vinnie, but it would be pretty difficult to tell the story of 1982-83 without using those two tracks.
I'm sure G&P made sure to take the majority share of the songs they co-wrote with VV.
KissJJM

Post by KissJJM »

Kudos to Ace n Peter. Stick it to those pricks!!
Trance

Post by Trance »

Nobody wants to hear “Beth” anyway.

Ace and Peter’s refusal to do new interviews doesn’t hinder Gene and Paul at all, most likely it’s exactly what Gene and Paul wanted.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

KissJJM wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:23 am Kudos to Ace n Peter. Stick it to those pricks!!
If Ace & Pete really wanted to stick it to Paul & Gene, they should've had successful solo careers. Anything short of that is not going to impact them, beyond hurling insults at eachother. KIϟϟ tried to involve Ace & Pete, as a courtesy, which is more than they had to do. And as has been reported, Ace & Pete weren't needed, anyway. There was nothing to 'stick' to 'those pricks' because they had nothing to begin with. KIϟϟ holds all the cards.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

KissJJM wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:23 am Kudos to Ace n Peter. Stick it to those pricks!!
You have to be kidding. If G&P do have the hidden agenda that most people seem to believe they have, then Ace & Peter have played right into their hands.