How has your fandom changed over the years?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
AceTattoo
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

How has your fandom changed over the years?

Post by AceTattoo »

Something that I started thinking about recently , and again today with the release of the Soundboard show. I have been a fan since the debut album, yes … I know I’m old.. and have been a loyal die hard since. I went through the collecting every single thing phase.. I had it all, and was lucky enough to snag a lot of those gems as they were released… I remember Kmart and ‘Spencer’s being the Mecca of KISS merch.

Once I got into my late teens, still a huge fan.. but, slowly started selling off my collection. But still kept buying the music, going to shows, getting a tshirt and a program. Admittedly I kinda of jumped back in and got all nostalgic and bought a lot of reunion merch… and then sold that as well..

But I find myself not so excited by anything they do… I still go to shows, but now its just a night out, away from work and life.. maybe feel like a kid for a couple hours.. I love the show… but that excitement and goosebumps are long gone.. I still buy a shirt, then never wear it… I buy a program look at it once. I find that occasionally I will put on their music and listen,, but as I am doing other things.. or working.. I don’t toss on headphones and close my eyes kick back a listen deep anymore.

I still watch things on tv when its on.. but I’m not sitting there anxiously waiting anymore.. Will I watch the KISSTORY thing.. yup.. definitely.. but I’m not counting the days,

Today I bought the soundboard release on iTunes.. listening now , I am enjoying it.. I got a little spark when they did Talk to Me… the rest.. I have heard 2.2 million times… and I probably own 50 times.. no matter the line up… its still the same songs..

Now I know, music taste change with age.. and I’m fighting it lol.. but I find myself still loving KISS and hard rock , but mostly listen to alternative folk rock most of the time.. Dustin Tebbut, Riley Pearce, The National Parks, .. artists like that.. and less rock… but I still consider KISS my band, my fave band, rock still my music.. at the same time drifting away from it maybe? Or just not that excited about it any more?

How has it changed for you? Especially the fans ,my age that came on in the beginning of this crazy awesome ride?
rwgriffith
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Re: How has your fandom changed over the years?

Post by rwgriffith »

I am 49 and approaching 50, but sill find the music very appealing. The merchandising not so much... Sold any of the stuff in the last few years so that my son and new grandson don't sell it for CHEAP after I die!

Still...my favorite band!
gene therapist
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by gene therapist »

I became a fan in late '84 as an eight-year-old. Thrash metal and later death metal made me "abandon" Kiss by the time HITS came out (I did like Forever though).

I started listening to classic Kiss again a few years later, although Revenge and CoS did nothing for me (and still don't). But I was very excited about Unplugged and of course the Reunion.

Today, what I care about is the great music. I'm indifferent about Eric & Tommy replacing the originals. What I DO have an issue with is Paul's voice. He used to be such a great vocalist. In an ideal world, Kiss would have retired after Paul did Live to Win. I think the current state of the band is lamentable or even a disgrace. Those heavy boots were not made to be trotten about by 70-somethings (or even 60-somethings) and the facepaint only serves to accentuate their age instead of masking it.
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by jannep17 »

If you put a gun to my head, I would still choose Alive! as my desert island disc.

And I still think Kiss has made a lot of great songs.
And I will see them, if and when they come to Stockholm.

But all in all, it's nostalgia now. There are probably a hundred bands/artist who are more interesting now.
StraightThruTheHeart
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by StraightThruTheHeart »

I've been a fan since '77, but I saw my last show in 2009 and nothing this line-up does gets me the least bit excited, however if there are things related to the original line-up that can still pique my interest.

It's really a tribute band at this point though, milking the cash cow as long as they can.

It's really a shame. I'm just as big of an Alice Cooper fan and yet feel completely different. I still feel like a little kid when I go to see Alice. I guess the circumstances make a difference and also the way Alice treats his fans with respect instead of contempt. And Alice is just a nice guy which goes a long way too. He also puts on top-tier shows with a great band.
Last edited by StraightThruTheHeart on Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommyr

Post by Tommyr »

I'm 63. My fandom shrank a lot starting with Dynasty and continued shrinking until the reunion tour. Once Ace & Peter were back I perked up a bit and went to see them at night #1 at MSG. After Ace & Peter left my fandom shrank to a new low. That MSG show was my last Kiss show. I also never bought another Kiss album since.

For me it's basically give me the original Kiss or GTFO. I did like Eric Carr but still, I wasn't a fan of 80's (or 90's) Kiss.
Hi I'm Witz

Post by Hi I'm Witz »

The classic line up was, is, and always will be my favorite band of all time. That will never change. At this point I'm sort of "married" to KISS. Of course I do like a LOT of other bands and listen to a ton of music outside of KISS. But I can tell you this, I don't spend time in any other band's forum discussing them. This is the only band forum I belong to.
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

My closest analogy is to equate being a Kiss fan to being a fan of a sports team...in much the same way, you don't pick them...in a way they pick you. I know I'll listen to their music for the rest of my life...it's a little part of what makes me who I am.

In much the same manner, I think over the decades you earn the right to be dissatisfied with the direction your team takes, with the important difference being that with a sports team every season brings new hope and a chance of a new start, which isn't the case with a band.

It is what it is.
jkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by jkiss »

Last edited by jkiss on Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

Hi I'm Witz wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:15 am The classic line up was, is, and always will be my favorite band of all time. That will never change. At this point I'm sort of "married" to KISS. Of course I do like a LOT of other bands and listen to a ton of music outside of KISS. But I can tell you this, I don't spend time in any other band's forum discussing them. This is the only band forum I belong to.
True. (Except for the fact that I also discuss ELO on another board...)
Dr Borgo
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Dr Borgo »

I have been a fan since 1980. Stayed with them all through the 80’s and 90’s and even into the Tommy and Eric S. lineup, though I wasn’t nowhere near as enthused by then. The only things that peak my interest nowadays are things that pertain to the original makeup era.
41Mets

Post by 41Mets »

I discovered them in 1976 on the Paul Lynde special and was an instant intense fan. Once the original lineup disbanded I cooled but still listened to the orginal era material often. Then in 1988 I walked into a record store and they were playing Smashes Thrashes and Hits and I was hooked in a major way all over again from 1988 to 2001. After that I remained a pretty intense fan but less enthused on the current lineup. And as I discover more about them as people and have become more distant to the people behind the music, I am past the point of needing to be heavily immersed in every single thing they do. I still love the music and the concert experience when seeing them and remain interested in a lot of their history. But I have separated the music from the people who make it and no longer see them as people I admired greatly for a lot of reasons. I used to see Kiss as sort of a soundtrack to my life and a communal connection with other fans, and some of that is gone. But I still love anything from 1974 to 1981 and a lot of beyond musically.
Eddie Van Hazel

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

Been a fan since seeing them on the Paul Lynde Halloween show.
That was my "Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show" moment.

KISS is like being a longtime fan of your favorite sports team. You cheer them on for the great things they do
and then you rip them apart and criticize them when they make you unhappy. But you still stay with them
through all the ups and downs, highs and lows.

From some of the other music forums I visit, KISS is not the only band that goes through this type of treatment by fans.
Dave's not here
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Dave's not here »

I’m 51. I was introduced to the band by my cousins in 1976. They played Destroyer for me, THEN showed me the album cover. I was 6 and my life changed. But, I agree it’s not the same, and it can’t be. Life catches up to you. Different responsibilities come into play. Life makes us a little more cynical. We grow up.
I get excited around KISS concert time, and for a little while I’m excited at the concert. But it doesn’t captivate me like it used to. I think that’s normal. We all mature. Unless you’re a “man child”, and live like you’re 12, I think it’s perfectly normal to kinda lose interest or enthusiasm for the whole scene.
Same thing goes with Star Wars. In the 70s, it was all I talked about. KISS and Star Wars. I don’t think it’s healthy to be as obsessed with something like you were when you were a young teenager.

This topic came up years ago, and I was ripped apart by someone here for offering this opinion, and I couldn’t understand why. Until I noticed his posts and comments and realized there was probably a mental health issue at play with the individual. It was actually kind of disturbing.

I still purchase KISS merchandise, but it’s more selective and nostalgic. It makes me feel young for awhile. But sometimes we have to put our toys away and face reality. We can’t live in our safe place all our lives. But it’s nice to visit for an hour or two.
Grand Classic
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Grand Classic »

I became a fan in 1976 and essentially worshiped KISS for the rest of the 70's and most of the 80's.

Essentially I was like some of the sunshine pumpers/sheep here on the forum. KISS could do no wrong. Everything they did was great. Then I grew up and was able to see KISS through a realistic and objective lens and not that of a boy.

I am still a fan and have my favorite albums, songs and other things, but I am just no longer a mindless fanboy. KISS has done a lot of good and some great stuff, but they have done a ton of shit as well. Maybe more than most bands, considering they have made so many albums that they probably shouldn't have.
sugardaddy

Post by sugardaddy »

Fan for 43 years....my feelings are very similar to the OP. Not as enthusiastic as I used to be, but KISS has been and will always be my favorite band
Legsofsteel
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Legsofsteel »

Got into them when I was 16 in 1999. They became my favourite band very soon after. And have remained that way since. My music taste has expanded quite a bit in that time, but KISS is still my favourite band. Never got that much merchandise. Just some posters, T-shirts, VHS and DVD releases etc when I was younger. As for live shows, I've seen them 4 times, and Ace once. I saw the opening night of the EOTR tour in Vancouver, and it was the first show where I felt it was an overall lackluster performance. Live, I would say they are has been a notable decline in the last decade. But I still love listening to their albums and songs frequently. In some ways, I love their music more now than I did when I first got into them over 20 years ago.
PassMeBy
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by PassMeBy »

I was obsessed as a youth. Now, I am not.
I still smile when they come on the radio. I still enjoy learning about them and keeping up to date (hence why I'm here) but I haven't purchased anything KISS related since KISSOLOGY Vol.1. They were simply my first love and I guess I'm just a nostalgic simp.
Ara78
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Ara78 »

The KISSs I adored in 1978-87 are still my favorite bands.
GACatmandu

Post by GACatmandu »

I was a KISS freak from the summer of 1976 until Peter left. I had a very short time when Peter left the band in 1980 until KISS was on Fridays where I dropped off being a KISS fan at all. When KISS was on Fridays and I saw it I was back in full force. I stayed a KISS freak all the way up till Tommy Thayer joined the band. Tommy has for the most part ruined KISS for me I still buy all the CD's to keep my collection up but I seriously virtually never listen to KISS' music and when I do buy a KISS CD for my collection I don't open them I have a tour edition of Monster that not opened, a KISS Rocks Vegas set that's not opened, and when I get my KISS - Off The Soundboard CD's I won't be opening them at all they are for the collection only. I also have the Japanese edition of Paul Stanly's Soul Station - Now And Then that isn't opened.

Seriously, Tommy being in KISS has taken me from being a KISS freak to someone that still gets something out of being a fan but he has made KISS completely boring for me.

KISS 1973 (I guess I should say 1976) to 2001 KISS is my favorite band after 2002 (Tommy Thayer) they are in no way my favorite band.
Mystogan

Post by Mystogan »

KISS has always been something from the past and what they do now has no impact on what I like about them. I became a huge fan in 2009 when I was 13, they were the first band I was obsessed with. I had to know every song, watch everything on YouTube and make sure people knew that KISS was my band. I still get that same feeling I did before when I watch something like the Australia 1980 show or put on a record like Love Gun.

Things over the years have made them look really bad in my eyes, one of the worst for me was seeing the video of Gene and Ace playing at the guy's house for the Vault experience. But nothing could ever taint what made me a fan of KISS because they've always been a cool thing from before my time. There are bands/artists that are current that I've been following where I have felt that great disappointment and I can now understand why older fans feel the way they do about KISS.

At 24 they are still my favorite band. I've heard music that is better and that speaks to me more but KISS and AC/DC are my homebase and there's no taking that away.
Soylent Gene

Post by Soylent Gene »

Used to love them, now I hate them.

Still dig the original lineup.
Stlouisblue
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Stlouisblue »

Over time, my fandom has only grown...like my penis.
cgtrman
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by cgtrman »

Loved the band until they put Tommy and Eric in A&P makeup and then once the lip syncing started. Kiss was done after the original farewell tour. I loved the band through the original fw tour.

Looking forward to the A&E doc but it’s sad we will never get an objective doc. Let Tom Morello oversee it. He gets Kiss and appreciate ALL four originals.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Stlouisblue wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:21 pm Over time, my fandom has only grown...like my penis.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

jkiss wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:15 pm.
Agreed
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

cgtrman wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:33 pm Loved the band until they put Tommy and Eric in A&P makeup and then once the lip syncing started. Kiss was done after the original farewell tour. I loved the band through the original fw tour.

Looking forward to the A&E doc but it’s sad we will never get an objective doc. Let Tom Morello oversee it. He gets Kiss and appreciate ALL four originals.
Yep that's pretty much when it all stopped for me. When Tommy joined in.
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

Eddie Van Hazel wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:33 am Been a fan since seeing them on the Paul Lynde Halloween show.
That was my "Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show" moment.

KISS is like being a longtime fan of your favorite sports team. You cheer them on for the great things they do
and then you rip them apart and criticize them when they make you unhappy. But you still stay with them
through all the ups and downs, highs and lows.

From some of the other music forums I visit, KISS is not the only band that goes through this type of treatment by fans.
Well said.
Eddie Van Hazel

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

^^Thank you sir!!^^ :)
Love Gum
Banned
Banned

Post by Love Gum »

rwgriffith wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:51 am I am 49 and approaching 50, but sill find the music very appealing. The merchandising not so much... Sold any of the stuff in the last few years so that my son and new grandson don't sell it for CHEAP after I die!

Still...my favorite band!
They're my favorite band (since '77) by a landslide, and always will be, but I'm really just into the music. I'm also not into the merchandise.

I absolutely loved and still love every single album up to COTN, then each one less and less after that, the exceptions being Revenge and COS, both of which I like but don't love. Those 80's non-makeup albums really had me frustrated. And bored. They made me realize how incredible and special and talented 70's KISS was!

When You Wanted The Best came out, I heard the "lost" live versions of Room Service and Two Timer, a light bulb went off, and I realized that I had been had by a cabal of scumbag con artists who didn't care that I had spent 20 years worshiping the band, buying every single album, and attending every single tour.

Then the Psycho Circus nightmare. Then the nightmare elements of the reunion. For me it's just been downhill for a long, long time now, with me basically having grown to hate all four of them.

But I still cherish and love those pre-LIU albums, and always will...!!
d4nugster
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by d4nugster »

stopped caring around '02-03. used to try and get everything with their name on it in our corner of the world but once it became the stale, borinbg zombie that is the current line up, i couldn't care less and bother. hell, i've no interest dl'ng current line up snapshots. that should tell how far i've fallen off.
Andy Capp

Post by Andy Capp »

Old Andy has loved kiss since early 1975---- and he still does.... he says it will never change
ImAPlumber
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by ImAPlumber »

I find myself interested in all-things '70s KISS ... and maybe Reunion era. Otherwise, there's not much that gets me going. I saw them on the Reunion tour, PC, and a couple other shows (with Aerosmith and with Nugent). I've seen my last show, though. As much as I love the band, I've seen enough YouTube clips of the End of the Road tour and I have no interest in that being the last in-concert experience I have with them. The stage is too huge and the guys just kind of walk about. No more jumping, frenzied, frantic, must-see extravaganza (yes, I know they're old and that's just the way it is). Anyway, a KISS show is a shell of what was once the greatest show on earth, IMHO. I'll take the memories I have over the impending disappointment of seeing them live one last time.

Sorry to be a downer, folks. I'm usually not that guy, but I'm just being honest.
Coventry1973
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Coventry1973 »

I've been a fan since I was 10 years old. I'm now 56
Over the last few years (probably 5 or so) I'm just not as crazy as I used to be with the things they're doing. Not sure why, but as we all get older and my mind goes back to the fantastic 70's and see what they are now, I just can't get super excited about this.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

I used to despise Gene. But the more I see and hear from him, the more I like him.

I also used to like Paul, but he seems to have developed this air about him that rubs me the wrong way.

I use to not feel sorry for A&P but as I learned more about chemical dependency and the strains they were under, I respect them both for straightening out their lives.
Strutterer
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Strutterer »

For me, the biggest change in recent years has been a deeper appreciation for the non-make up years. My interest used to peak around Destroyer and Rock and Roll Over, declining with every make up album and all about ending around Animalize. It's been fun to revisit Asylum (so underrated!), Crazy Nights, HITS and Revenge on top of learning about the tours and behind the scenes shenanigans. I really think the 1980s era is the most interesting time to study from a fan's perspective. Lots of shit to unpack from that time period.

My views on the band members themselves haven't really changed much over the years.
  • I'm always a Paul guy, and while he's tarnished his legacy with his views and general attitude lately, he deserves the utmost credit for keeping the band going in the lean years.
  • Ace is talented but really hasn't performed well since his first stint in Kiss. He's a fantastic guitar player but so inconsistent and lazy!
  • Peter's a shell of his former self performance-wise, sad to say, but seems like one of the few Kiss members I'd want to grab a beer with in 2021.
  • Gene is all hype and I love him for it. He does his job on and off stage so well he can get away with ridiculous statements on Twitter and in the press.
The only member who makes me shake my head in frustration is Vinnie. What is with that guy, seriously? (rhetorical question)
HOFCity

Post by HOFCity »

From being mesmerized by them on album covers to falling in love with their sound and.experiencing them live it's been an amazing ride.

Now a days however, their shows are a snore fest and it's hard to get excited for Touring since the lead singer can barely talk let alone sing , there's no new music and it's the same show only now much slower due to their ages.

Personally, I wish they would just record however people still want to see this tired show , with tired musicians and tired setlist.
ToddofThunder
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by ToddofThunder »

I was on vacation last week so didn't catch this thread until now.

I am 50 now and became a fan as a kid (due to their image, admittedly) around '76. I was obsessed with KISS until after Dynasty. (I say "obsessed," but I never went back and bought the pre-Destroyer albums). I loved that IWMFLY was all over the radio, and as a fan of just good music, I loved the song, too. I was aware of Eric Carr and loved his look. But somehow, I missed the release of Unmasked until I stumbled upon it at a KMart. I was amused by the cover, but for some reason, wasn't really wanting to buy it. I guess I had sort of "moved on." Then I had no idea about The Elder and Creatures until I stumbled upon them at a record store when I was middle-school aged. At that point, they were only a curiosity.

I became aware that KISS had removed their makeup when I stumbled upon Lick It Up at a record store, and I did stare at the cover for awhile. But I was unaware that Ace was out of the band, and wondered if Vinnie was in fact Ace. I thought they all looked pretty similar to what their made-up faces looked like except for Gene. It was brilliant that they had him sticking out his tongue on the cover!

But KISS definitely made me a rock/hard rock fan, and when Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister began taking over roller rink playlists, I really identified with that sound! I became a huge fan of the band again when "Heaven's On Fire" became a hit. I loved that song! It took me back to my love when IWMFLY was on the radio. I started buying KISS albums on cassette, and eventually went back and picked up the first four albums. Since then, I have remained a fan. Like many have stated, I became re-enamored with the band in the Reunion period and started buying the merch. My first KISS concert was in L.A. in '96 (I had tried to see them on the Crazy Nights tour but no one wanted to go with me), and I have seen them at least once on almost every tour since. I was proud to be at the L.A. Psycho Circus Tour kickoff!

Since I tend to like the more melodic hard rock, I loved the Psycho Circus album (and still do). Yes, I did believe at the time that it was the original four, but after I found out the truth, I just shrugged, because good music is good music. Yes, I am still disappointed they couldn't get the band together to record an album, but it really is not one or two people's faults. There were a lot of factors that led to what became Psycho Circus.

I really like the vibe of Sonic Boom and Monster. My thoughts on Tommy & Eric? I think that issue is complicated as I understand the arguments on both sides. Ultimately, I am fine with what it is. Might it have been BETTER for them to create new characters for those two? Maybe. But I also understand the "iconic" status of those four characters in our popular culture. In the end, (again) I just shrug my shoulders and say, "Whatever. They are good musicians and benefit the band." I know not everyone agrees with that.

I have seen the EOTR Tour twice, and that's probably going to be it for me. I really enjoyed both shows.

I am really enjoying "Off The Soundboard," more than I thought I would. It will be interesting to see *IF* there will be future releases in that series. I am also looking forward to the documentary, although as others have said, I don't expect much new information to be revealed.

So, there you have it! :)
B5Erik
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

I'm far less myopic than I used to be. I still love KISS, but having seen all their flaws I'm not a fan of them as people. They're all messed up in one way or another.

I haven't seen them live since 2014. Paul's voice was at it's post 2009 best there (that's not saying much at all), and after that, with that Spider stage set (my all time favorite), I never felt the need to see them again. Especially on the EOTR tour with Paul lip syncing.

I'm not the die hard I used to be, but I'm still a fan of the band.
acefan1975
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by acefan1975 »

I am 46. I became a fan in 1987 when I was 12.

I went to HITS, Revenge, Reunion x 2, PC, Farewell x 2, and the AreoKISS shows. After the AeroKISS show my interest dwindled, although I wish I would have seen them circa 2009 or 2010 during the Sonic Boom tour or whatever it was called. I would not pay to see them live now. The last item I bought was sonic boom a decade ago. I am not really a fan of anything post 2010 or 2011. I am happy for those that are, just does not tickle my fancy. I am impressed with their ability to draw crowds the way they still do though, and more power to them and the fans that love it!
His Majesty

Post by His Majesty »

I'm one of those people that make emotional attachments to certain lineups/artists. It's when I hear a song or see a video from a band that deeply resonates with me. And if that dynamic changes? I lose interest, or the interest wanes.

Steve Perry in Journey.
Lou Gramm in Foreigner.
Vince in Motley (God knows why)
Roth in VH.

And the original 4 members of KISS.

I "unfollowed" these bands after they lost their dynamic with me. Subsequently, I found other favorite bands as a result. When one door closes, another opens. Shit like that.

That's not to say I don't like songs from Lick It Up or 5150 or the 1994 Motley Crue album. But those songs are not from MY bands.
1000000-2-1
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by 1000000-2-1 »

Stronger than ever, and I've been a fan since 1984.