Tommy Thayer’s Blues-based playing is bar none some of the most underrated of the last forty some odd years

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Lofton23rdSt
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Tommy Thayer’s Blues-based playing is bar none some of the most underrated of the last forty some odd years

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

kwf484
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Re: Tommy Thayer’s Blues-based playing is bar none some of the most underrated of the last forty some odd years

Post by kwf484 »

No songs
John Shaft
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: Tommy Thayer’s Blues-based playing is bar none some of the most underrated of the last forty some odd years

Post by John Shaft »

Countdown to the usual suspects chiming in about all the praise Tommy receives in this article. Ten, nine......
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TwistedTaste »

:lol:
70skid

Post by 70skid »

Tommy’s golfing skills are underrated.
highvoltage1969
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by highvoltage1969 »

"...Black ‘N Blue, a truly fantastic Rock outfit.."

Erm....
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TwistedTaste »

Tommy Thayer’s Spaghetti Blues Band (with Special Guests “The Meatball Mafia”)
Last edited by TwistedTaste on Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
KissRMe4life
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by KissRMe4life »

This thread is meant as a joke right?
Tito

Post by Tito »

OK.
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

With that kind of gushing praise, I hope he doesn't end up with a big head.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I find Tommy to be an excellent rhythm guitarist. He shouldn't be, doesn't have to be, aggrandized or overrated to denote his ability. As a lead guitarist, he's nowhere on the same level as Bruce, but he is capable. He certainly reproduces Ace's leads well enough. Black N' Blue is pretty good, I don't mind listening to any of it. And I think he's a good collaborator. I've always liked Tommy.
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TwistedTaste »

Glasgow Kiss wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:07 am With that kind of gushing praise, I hope he doesn't end up with a big head.
Seriously, with that kind of positive promotion Tommy will be raking it in for sure
KissRMe4life
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by KissRMe4life »

Glasgow Kiss wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:07 am With that kind of gushing praise, I hope he doesn't end up with a big head.

Too late for that…. :)
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TwistedTaste »

Bruce wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:09 amAs a lead guitarist, he's nowhere on the same level as Bruce, but he is capable.
C’mon - I’d say he’s equally as boring as Bruce
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

I think the only guitarist in Kiss who obviously had anything special was Ace. Bruce was pretty good. Vinnie and Mark were cookie-cutter, and Tommy, well, he's Tommy.
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wichita77 »

I don't have strong feelings about Tommy one way or the other. I will say that I was impressed the first time I saw him with KISS as the band sounded so much tighter than they did with Ace. Ace will always be one of my favorite players but he was getting a little sloppy there. Tommy is precise, and tries to honor the source material.
Mahatma

Post by Mahatma »

"Tommy Thayer’s Blues-based playing is bar none some of the most underrated of the last forty some odd years"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doose

Post by Doose »

That was actually a well-written, well thought out take on KISS' guitarists.
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TwistedTaste »

redinthesky wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:19 am I think the only guitarist in Kiss who obviously had anything special was Ace. Bruce was pretty good. Vinnie and Mark were cookie-cutter, and Tommy, well, he's Tommy.
Vinnie wrote some great songs for the band and put some life into them, nothing cookie cutter about him. All the others that came after him, yes.
woodworm001
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by woodworm001 »

Exact same order I'd rank them though depending on what I'm listening to I will swap Ace / Bruce
Doose

Post by Doose »

TwistedTaste wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:23 am
redinthesky wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:19 am I think the only guitarist in Kiss who obviously had anything special was Ace. Bruce was pretty good. Vinnie and Mark were cookie-cutter, and Tommy, well, he's Tommy.
Vinnie wrote some great songs for the band and put some life into them, nothing cookie cutter about him. All the others that came after him, yes.
Vinnie is absolutely a cookie-cutter of childish, mindless cockrock and shredding that was in fashion for 2 years in the 80s.
px74

Post by px74 »

Well at least he got number 1 right....
redinthesky

Post by redinthesky »

I should have been specific as the article was about all the guitarist's playing, that's what I was referring to. Vinnie back then could co-write decent songs but his guitar playing when he let loose was dreadful IMO.
FlamingRuth

Post by FlamingRuth »

😂
His Majesty
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by His Majesty »

When I think of contemporary blues based players, I think of Samantha Fish, Joe Bonamassa, Larkin Poe, Ana Popovic.

Though I don't doubt Thomas can sure imitate some BB King Licks real well.
curryleaf
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by curryleaf »

Doose wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:40 am Vinnie is absolutely a cookie-cutter of childish, mindless cockrock and shredding that was in fashion for 2 years in the 80s.
Totally disagree. I think a lot of people's view of Vinnie as an individual clouds their judgement of him as a musician. Even in Kiss you can tell his rhythm playing a mile of and his lead work is even more distinctive.

VV Invasion don't really sound like any of their contemporaries and his songwriting ability far exceeds most of his peers.

Ace and Vinnie are the only two Kiss guitarists with an air of uniqueness and obvious star quality about them.

As for Tommy, he's a fine rhythm guitar player but his lead work isn't great, even when just having to copy Ace's fairly basic solos.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

I don't even understand what he's talking about with Tommy.
I have to listen again to the albums he did before Kiss.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

The author of the article lost me when he wrote: "To begin, I am a huge fan of Tommy Thayer as a guitarist..." All objectivity flew right out the window.
cgtrman
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by cgtrman »

Have they heard Eric Gales? No there is an underrated blues guitarist.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Doose wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:08 am That was actually a well-written, well thought out take on KISS' guitarists.
Disagree. Besides the fact the author apparently doesn't know how to break large paragraphs into smaller digestible material for readers, the article lacked objectivity. It was almost as though the author felt obligated to say nice things about the guitarists he interviewed.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

My order would be Ace, Bruce, Vinnie, Tommy and Mark. Sorry, but I cannot put Tommy ahead of Vinnie because I don't see much originality in Tommy's playing. Maybe if he made the solos more of his own, I might rank him higher, but I just can't given the circumstances.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

He heaped the OTT praise onto Frehley too, but nobody seems to be objecting to that. :lol:
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

I see the Onion has started a music version of their site.
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TwistedTaste »

Doose wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:40 am
Vinnie is absolutely a cookie-cutter of childish, mindless cockrock and shredding that was in fashion for 2 years in the 80s.
Paul & Gene would have disappeared into oblivion in 82 without him

Childish? You’re talking about Kiss here, right?
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TwistedTaste »

jannep17 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:08 am I don't even understand what he's talking about with Tommy.
I have to listen again to the albums he did before Kiss.
Ace is a blues based guitar player. Hence - so is Tommy :D
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TwistedTaste »

TheSpoiler wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:49 am

He heaped the OTT praise onto Frehley too, but nobody seems to be objecting to that. :lol:
I wonder why that is? :roll: :lol:
Doose

Post by Doose »

TwistedTaste wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:55 am

Childish? You’re talking about Kiss here, right?
Funny you say Gene and Paul "would have disappeared into oblivion" when they created one of the biggest bands in the world, they're the ones that sold millions of albums, they're the ones that did sold-out tours around the world...All before they even knew who Vinnie Cusano was. After Vinnie Cusano, they went on to do all of those things and more for another 40 years.

Meanwhile, speaking of oblivion, how has Vinnie's career gone for the last 40 years? How about the 10 years before KISS?
Somebody Backstage
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Somebody Backstage »

Modern Day Delilah solo = Modern Day Masterpiece
redinthesky

Post by redinthesky »

Considering what a flop the Creatures album was (initially), and what a flop the Creatures tour was, they seemed to be disappearing into oblivion with him. But Gene and Paul always find a way to bounce back.
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TwistedTaste »

Doose wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:01 amwhen they created one of the biggest bands in the world

I don’t think so
Somebody Backstage
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Somebody Backstage »

Why isn't Paul considered a "guitarist"?
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TwistedTaste »

redinthesky wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:08 am

Considering what a flop the Creatures album was (initially), and what a flop the Creatures tour was, they seemed to be disappearing into oblivion with him. But Gene and Paul always find a way to bounce back.
Vinnie wrote I love it loud and lick it up. Case closed.
redinthesky

Post by redinthesky »

TwistedTaste wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:15 am
redinthesky wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:08 am

Vinnie wrote I love it loud and lick it up. Case closed.
Co-wrote. And yep, facts are facts, so yes case closed. And that's all for me and this silly Vinnie bickering, wasted too much time with it before. But you know that, right? :bom:
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

TheSpoiler wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:49 am

image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B5Erik
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

Bruce wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:09 am I find Tommy to be an excellent rhythm guitarist. He shouldn't be, doesn't have to be, aggrandized or overrated to denote his ability. As a lead guitarist, he's nowhere on the same level as Bruce, but he is capable. He certainly reproduces Ace's leads well enough. Black N' Blue is pretty good, I don't mind listening to any of it. And I think he's a good collaborator. I've always liked Tommy.
I'd agree with that about 98%. For me, there are only a half dozen or so Black 'N' Blue songs that I like, but I agree with the rest of it 100%.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

TwistedTaste wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:18 am C’mon - I’d say he’s equally as boring as Bruce
That is exactly the kind of post which could threaten this venerable forum with an erroneous reputation for being a cesspool--!!
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

Paul should be ranked.
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TwistedTaste »

Somebody Backstage wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:10 am Why isn't Paul considered a "guitarist"?
Do u not understand the difference between lead and rhythm?

If not watch the guitar solo by Paul from Animalize live
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TwistedTaste »

Lofton23rdSt wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:48 pm Paul should be ranked.
He doesn’t qualify
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TwistedTaste »

Bruce wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:15 am
TwistedTaste wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:18 am C’mon - I’d say he’s equally as boring as Bruce
That is exactly the kind of post which could threaten this venerable forum with an erroneous reputation for being a cesspool--!!
It was a joke -but it went over your 7’0” head :D