KISS or not to KISS.....

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Padilla18
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

KISS or not to KISS.....

Post by Padilla18 »

Has anyone had the dilemma of choosing to see KISS or another favorite band live? And this would be due to both bands playing the same night or very close to each other.
metalfuel
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: KISS or not to KISS.....

Post by metalfuel »

In 2019 KISS and Rammstein on the same night, chose KISS.
moshpitwookie
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by moshpitwookie »

It happened a few years ago in Philly. KISS was playing across the river in Camden the same night Anthrax was playing (I think maybe) the Troc.

Thing is, I've never seen a bad KISS show and I've never seen a bad Anthrax show. In the end I chose to see KISS.
KingOfHearts89
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

Not quite what the OG post asked for but I had to go see Kylie Minogue instead of Seeing KISS, must admit I became a fan of Kylie after the show so wasn't all bad.
PsychoElder
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by PsychoElder »

I’ve never had that dilemma but being that KISS is my favorite band I would choose them every time.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

I had to choose between seeing Kiss on the British Lick It Up tour in 83, or spending a final night with the girl I was seeing who was moving abroad with her family (hey, I was young then!)

Kiss lost.

I didn't ;)

....although in retrospect, I wish I had chosen differently :lol:
richardsimmons
Location: California $leazy Tree-Huggin’ Kizz-luv’n RnR Ba$tard

Post by richardsimmons »

Padilla18 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:29 pm Has anyone had the dilemma of choosing to see KISS or another favorite band live? And this would be due to both bands playing the same night or very close to each other.
In your current situation, Kizz vs. who else?

For me, It all depends on the whole scenario.

How many times I’ve already seen each band, which band I love more, if I’ll have to pay for parking, or if I can easily take public transit, cost, etc etc.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

Padilla18 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:29 pm Has anyone had the dilemma of choosing to see KISS or another favorite band live? And this would be due to both bands playing the same night or very close to each other.
Never had that happen, but for me the decision might come down to which venue was closer. Now if we were talking original KISS lineup, it wouldn't matter--I'd choose KISS. But not so much these days.
gottaRockRockRawk
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by gottaRockRockRawk »

If speculation is okay, let's say it's 1977 RUSH vs. 1977 KISS. As much as I love RUSH and would choose to see them in any other of their later eras vs. KISS...I would choose 1977 and earlier KISS, without question.
Mike5477
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Mike5477 »

moshpitwookie wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:46 pm It happened a few years ago in Philly. KISS was playing across the river in Camden the same night Anthrax was playing (I think maybe) the Troc.

Thing is, I've never seen a bad KISS show and I've never seen a bad Anthrax show. In the end I chose to see KISS.
My 2 favorite bands!
steve

Post by steve »

gottaRockRockRawk wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:59 pmIf speculation is okay, let's say it's 1977 RUSH vs. 1977 KISS.
Rush. All through the 70s.
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

Never had to do it since I can't remember tickets ever going on sale at the same time for 2 bands I want to see. I've had clashes before but have always gone to see the band that sold me tickets first.

Would I choose another band over Kiss? Springsteen would be the only one.
gottaRockRockRawk
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by gottaRockRockRawk »

steve wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:28 pm
gottaRockRockRawk wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:59 pmIf speculation is okay, let's say it's 1977 RUSH vs. 1977 KISS.
Rush. All through the 70s.
I will say that it would have been memorable to slouch into a Toronto bar in 1974 after a tough day shoveling snow and note the trio of young guys figuring out how to play "What you're doing" or "Take a friend" live for the first time. That said, mid-70s KISS was something truly special and I would choose them any day of the week.
Four-Who-Are-One
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Four-Who-Are-One »

I chose Counting Crows over KISS Symphony - had to travel interstate for both. Regret it now, but at the time I was a huge CC fan so it never would have happened any differently.
Kissoff
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Kissoff »

I had dilemma in high school. My junior year we had varsity basketball game same night as Lick it Up tour. I knew if I missed the game the coach would railroad me even though I wasn't even going to play. So I sadly missed the concert after seeing them year before for Creatures. And yep I never played even a minute in the game. And the coach railroaded me the next season anyway. Fun times.
DaveinSpain
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by DaveinSpain »

Sort of related,but not....when I was in high school I had the choice of going to the Prom or seeing Sheer Terror & Life of Agony. I skipped the Prom and went to one of the best shows I've ever seen. No regrets.
moshpitwookie
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by moshpitwookie »

Mike5477 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:57 pm
moshpitwookie wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:46 pm It happened a few years ago in Philly. KISS was playing across the river in Camden the same night Anthrax was playing (I think maybe) the Troc.

My 2 favorite bands!
Have you been watching the series of documentaries Anthrax has been releasing every few days on their Youtube channel? KISS should be doing something like that.
rwgriffith
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by rwgriffith »

My 2 favorite bands!
Same here!! Love ANTHRAX!!!!
curryleaf
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by curryleaf »

DaveinSpain wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:00 pm Sort of related,but not....when I was in high school I had the choice of going to the Prom or seeing Sheer Terror & Life of Agony. I skipped the Prom and went to one of the best shows I've ever seen. No regrets.
Good choice, LoA are incredible.
Padilla18
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Padilla18 »

richardsimmons wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:46 pm
In your current situation, Kizz vs. who else?

For me, It all depends on the whole scenario.

How many times I’ve already seen each band, which band I love more, if I’ll have to pay for parking, or if I can easily take public transit, cost, etc etc.
For me, it's KISS vs The Struts. I've seen The Struts once before at a rodeo. It wasn't the typical concert experience. They were awesome though. And I know this will be the last time I'll get to see KISS live. (And I said that back in 2000, haha) So as much as I wanna see The Struts again, KISS will win.
Two Headed Dog
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Two Headed Dog »

In 1997 I had to pick between Kiss or a festival with bands such as Rage Against the Machine, The Prodigy, Helmet, The Hellacopters, Entombed... Kiss lost.
southernkiss
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by southernkiss »

IIRC, KISS once played an unmasked show in a city while Ace played a show in the same city on the same night. It would be interesting to hear from fans how they decided which show they would attend.
rwgriffith
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by rwgriffith »

Two Headed Dog wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:04 am In 1997 I had to pick between Kiss or a festival with bands such as Rage Against the Machine, The Prodigy, Helmet, The Hellacopters, Entombed... Kiss lost.
ENTOMBED!!
Mike5477
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Mike5477 »

moshpitwookie wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:28 am

My 2 favorite bands!
Have you been watching the series of documentaries Anthrax has been releasing every few days on their Youtube channel? KISS should be doing something like that.
I have and it's amazing!!
Legsofsteel
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Legsofsteel »

Never been an issue.
highvoltage1969

Post by highvoltage1969 »

KingOfHearts89 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:48 pm Not quite what the OG post asked for but I had to go see Kylie Minogue instead of Seeing KISS, must admit I became a fan of Kylie after the show so wasn't all bad.
Kylie's awesome.

mot$$33
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by mot$$33 »

Not having to choose, but this reminds me of two shows side by side. My city’s arena has a smaller facility next door and same parking lot. Parliament Funkadelic was playing same night next to the arena Kiss show, and it made for some interesting tailgate partying!!
AceyAintInCharge
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by AceyAintInCharge »

When Ace & Peter were in the band I never even considered another band's show over them. Nothing could have rivaled my choice. Not even close.
KF73
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by KF73 »

Just happened. About a month ago I bought tickets to see Alice/Ace in Jacksonville. Four great 2nd row center seats that were not cheap. A few weeks later I found Kiss has added a Tampa show on the same Saturday night. We are sticking with Alice/Ace because I have seen EOTR twice already and I think Alice/Ace is an awesome package. Love Alice and have seen him live 14 times.

Keep in mind here, we live in the panhandle of Florida, so most shows we see are 3 to 5 hours away. Everything is a haul, so convenience didn't really play in. Jacksonville is a 3 hour ride and Tampa is 4 hours. Atlanta is about 4 1/2.

Side note... for Fathers Day it actually motivated my wife to buy my son and I two front row tix to the Kiss show in Atlanta on 8/29, which is 5 weeks earlier than the two above shows, so it all worked out! :D
Andy Capp

Post by Andy Capp »

PsychoElder wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:00 pm I’ve never had that dilemma but being that KISS is my favorite band I would choose them every time.
old Andy said the same thing----
KISSTRONAUT
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

I don’t think I ever had that dilemma. I would choose KISS if it ever did come up. I’ve seen most of the shows I’ve wanted to see over the years.
strutter78
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by strutter78 »

Until the last few years, I would never consider seeing anyone else live if they were playing the same night or same time. Even if the other show was free. My multiple decades of being a fan, there was never a close second. Yes, I loved other bands, but nothing was close to Kiss in the 70’s or 80’s. My rule has always stood… if Gene and Paul are in my backyard, I’m going to see them. With Paul and the lip synching, I would consider seeing someone else. But, never prior to 2012 or so.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

KIϟϟ -- always, to KIϟϟ!