Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
User avatar
John Shaft
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1049
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:10 am
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by John Shaft »

OHKISSFAN wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:34 pm [quoteIf Gene and Paul were so great with out Ace and Peter there from the beginning then Wicked Lester would have had some success. This is a KISS documentary not a Wicked Lester documentary.]
There is NO KISS without Gene & Paul - There IS & WAS KISS without Ace & Pete.

It comes down to those 2 guys (G & P). Ace & Pete were definitely part of the foundation, beginning & early success of KISS - but over the entire KISStory of KISS = It's Gene & Paul.

The actual KISStory of KISS from the very beginning to the current day
IS about the friendship (dysfunctional as it sometimes has been ) of 2 people!
These 2 people (Paul & Gene) have been there at the very beginning - yes, even before Ace & Old Pete - and will be there at the very end (without Ace & Old Pete)!

What is so hard to understand??
[/quote]

Not hard to understand at all and you summed it all up perfectly. Well said!!

However, the usual suspects will continue to stomp their feet and cry about this...
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4391
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by TheSpoiler »

Chaim Wigz wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:51 pm Kiss is about Ace, Paul, Gene and Peter, and the incalculable and priceless contributions of those who were there from the beginning and through the glory years. Namely: the road crew, wives (thank you, Lydia!) and friends, and especially Bill Aucoin, Sean Delaney and Neil Bogart.

Peter leaving was the beginning of the end, Ace and Bill leaving were the final nails in the coffin. It was over. Everything after that was/is the story of the $immons $tanley Corporation, and I’m not interested in that story at all. And nor should any self respecting music documentary maker worth his salt.

The Simmons Stanley Corporation story from 1984 onwards is the sound of a million hippopotamus farts, blowing in unison at Paul Stanley’s stink face. Completely different band, Kiss in name only. Keep that crap outta my real Kiss doco, thankyouverymuch.
The issue here is, you (or any of us) don't get to choose what Kiss "is". That honour belongs to the owners. And they have chosen that for the last 18 years, Kiss IS Simmons, Stanley, Thayer and Singer. You may not approve, but it doesn't change the reality.

Kiss certainly USED to be the original four, but those days are long, long gone.
User avatar
Chaim Wigz
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2142
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by Chaim Wigz »

TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:18 pm
Chaim Wigz wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:51 pm Kiss is about Ace, Paul, Gene and Peter, and the incalculable and priceless contributions of those who were there from the beginning and through the glory years. Namely: the road crew, wives (thank you, Lydia!) and friends, and especially Bill Aucoin, Sean Delaney and Neil Bogart.

Peter leaving was the beginning of the end, Ace and Bill leaving were the final nails in the coffin. It was over. Everything after that was/is the story of the $immons $tanley Corporation, and I’m not interested in that story at all. And nor should any self respecting music documentary maker worth his salt.

The Simmons Stanley Corporation story from 1984 onwards is the sound of a million hippopotamus farts, blowing in unison at Paul Stanley’s stink face. Completely different band, Kiss in name only. Keep that crap outta my real Kiss doco, thankyouverymuch.
The issue here is, you (or any of us) don't get to choose what Kiss "is". That honour belongs to the owners. And they have chosen that for the last 18 years, Kiss IS Simmons, Stanley, Thayer and Singer. You may not approve, but it doesn't change the reality.

Kiss certainly USED to be the original four, but those days are long, long gone.
I respectfully disagree. And I’ve absolutely no time whatsoever for Gene and Paul ‘the owners’ corporate business speak. From Ace and Peter leaving onwards, it was no longer Kiss, and nothing more than the Simmons Stanley Corporation. It’s just a name, but beyond that, it sure wasn’t Kiss.

It was no more Kiss, than Page and Plant pooling their respective solo efforts would have been Led Zeppelin.
User avatar
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 981
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:42 am

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by TwistedTaste »

Chaim Wigz wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:26 pm
TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:18 pm
Chaim Wigz wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:51 pm Kiss is about Ace, Paul, Gene and Peter, and the incalculable and priceless contributions of those who were there from the beginning and through the glory years. Namely: the road crew, wives (thank you, Lydia!) and friends, and especially Bill Aucoin, Sean Delaney and Neil Bogart.

Peter leaving was the beginning of the end, Ace and Bill leaving were the final nails in the coffin. It was over. Everything after that was/is the story of the $immons $tanley Corporation, and I’m not interested in that story at all. And nor should any self respecting music documentary maker worth his salt.

The Simmons Stanley Corporation story from 1984 onwards is the sound of a million hippopotamus farts, blowing in unison at Paul Stanley’s stink face. Completely different band, Kiss in name only. Keep that crap outta my real Kiss doco, thankyouverymuch.
The issue here is, you (or any of us) don't get to choose what Kiss "is". That honour belongs to the owners. And they have chosen that for the last 18 years, Kiss IS Simmons, Stanley, Thayer and Singer. You may not approve, but it doesn't change the reality.

Kiss certainly USED to be the original four, but those days are long, long gone.
I respectfully disagree. And I’ve absolutely no time whatsoever for Gene and Paul ‘the owners’ corporate business speak. From Ace and Peter leaving onwards, it was no longer Kiss, and nothing more than the Simmons Stanley Corporation. It’s just a name, but beyond that, it sure wasn’t Kiss.

It was no more Kiss, than Page and Plant pooling their respective solo efforts would have been Led Zeppelin.
This is the correct answer. Plus Gene & Paul left to their own devices suck on their own.
User avatar
Chaim Wigz
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2142
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by Chaim Wigz »

TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:29 pm
Chaim Wigz wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:26 pm
TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:18 pm
Chaim Wigz wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:51 pm Kiss is about Ace, Paul, Gene and Peter, and the incalculable and priceless contributions of those who were there from the beginning and through the glory years. Namely: the road crew, wives (thank you, Lydia!) and friends, and especially Bill Aucoin, Sean Delaney and Neil Bogart.

Peter leaving was the beginning of the end, Ace and Bill leaving were the final nails in the coffin. It was over. Everything after that was/is the story of the $immons $tanley Corporation, and I’m not interested in that story at all. And nor should any self respecting music documentary maker worth his salt.

The Simmons Stanley Corporation story from 1984 onwards is the sound of a million hippopotamus farts, blowing in unison at Paul Stanley’s stink face. Completely different band, Kiss in name only. Keep that crap outta my real Kiss doco, thankyouverymuch.
The issue here is, you (or any of us) don't get to choose what Kiss "is". That honour belongs to the owners. And they have chosen that for the last 18 years, Kiss IS Simmons, Stanley, Thayer and Singer. You may not approve, but it doesn't change the reality.

Kiss certainly USED to be the original four, but those days are long, long gone.
I respectfully disagree. And I’ve absolutely no time whatsoever for Gene and Paul ‘the owners’ corporate business speak. From Ace and Peter leaving onwards, it was no longer Kiss, and nothing more than the Simmons Stanley Corporation. It’s just a name, but beyond that, it sure wasn’t Kiss.

It was no more Kiss, than Page and Plant pooling their respective solo efforts would have been Led Zeppelin.
This is the correct answer. Plus Gene & Paul left to their own devices suck on their own.
Thank you, sir. Have a great weekend! :salut:
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4391
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by TheSpoiler »

Chaim Wigz wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:26 pm
TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:18 pm
Chaim Wigz wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:51 pm Kiss is about Ace, Paul, Gene and Peter, and the incalculable and priceless contributions of those who were there from the beginning and through the glory years. Namely: the road crew, wives (thank you, Lydia!) and friends, and especially Bill Aucoin, Sean Delaney and Neil Bogart.

Peter leaving was the beginning of the end, Ace and Bill leaving were the final nails in the coffin. It was over. Everything after that was/is the story of the $immons $tanley Corporation, and I’m not interested in that story at all. And nor should any self respecting music documentary maker worth his salt.

The Simmons Stanley Corporation story from 1984 onwards is the sound of a million hippopotamus farts, blowing in unison at Paul Stanley’s stink face. Completely different band, Kiss in name only. Keep that crap outta my real Kiss doco, thankyouverymuch.
The issue here is, you (or any of us) don't get to choose what Kiss "is". That honour belongs to the owners. And they have chosen that for the last 18 years, Kiss IS Simmons, Stanley, Thayer and Singer. You may not approve, but it doesn't change the reality.

Kiss certainly USED to be the original four, but those days are long, long gone.
I respectfully disagree. And I’ve absolutely no time whatsoever for Gene and Paul ‘the owners’ corporate business speak. From Ace and Peter leaving onwards, it was no longer Kiss, and nothing more than the Simmons Stanley Corporation. It’s just a name, but beyond that, it sure wasn’t Kiss.

It was no more Kiss, than Page and Plant pooling their respective solo efforts would have been Led Zeppelin.
I respect your perspective, but counter that it's based on emotion, and what you want Kiss to be.
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4391
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by TheSpoiler »

TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:29 pm
Chaim Wigz wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:26 pm
TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:18 pm
Chaim Wigz wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:51 pm Kiss is about Ace, Paul, Gene and Peter, and the incalculable and priceless contributions of those who were there from the beginning and through the glory years. Namely: the road crew, wives (thank you, Lydia!) and friends, and especially Bill Aucoin, Sean Delaney and Neil Bogart.

Peter leaving was the beginning of the end, Ace and Bill leaving were the final nails in the coffin. It was over. Everything after that was/is the story of the $immons $tanley Corporation, and I’m not interested in that story at all. And nor should any self respecting music documentary maker worth his salt.

The Simmons Stanley Corporation story from 1984 onwards is the sound of a million hippopotamus farts, blowing in unison at Paul Stanley’s stink face. Completely different band, Kiss in name only. Keep that crap outta my real Kiss doco, thankyouverymuch.
The issue here is, you (or any of us) don't get to choose what Kiss "is". That honour belongs to the owners. And they have chosen that for the last 18 years, Kiss IS Simmons, Stanley, Thayer and Singer. You may not approve, but it doesn't change the reality.

Kiss certainly USED to be the original four, but those days are long, long gone.
I respectfully disagree. And I’ve absolutely no time whatsoever for Gene and Paul ‘the owners’ corporate business speak. From Ace and Peter leaving onwards, it was no longer Kiss, and nothing more than the Simmons Stanley Corporation. It’s just a name, but beyond that, it sure wasn’t Kiss.

It was no more Kiss, than Page and Plant pooling their respective solo efforts would have been Led Zeppelin.
This is the correct answer. Plus Gene & Paul left to their own devices suck on their own.
Paul and Gene left to their own devices gave us Creatures of the Night and Lick It Up. I'll take that version of Kiss over any other.
User avatar
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 981
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:42 am

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by TwistedTaste »

TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:33 pm
Chaim Wigz wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:26 pm
TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:18 pm
Chaim Wigz wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:51 pm Kiss is about Ace, Paul, Gene and Peter, and the incalculable and priceless contributions of those who were there from the beginning and through the glory years. Namely: the road crew, wives (thank you, Lydia!) and friends, and especially Bill Aucoin, Sean Delaney and Neil Bogart.

Peter leaving was the beginning of the end, Ace and Bill leaving were the final nails in the coffin. It was over. Everything after that was/is the story of the $immons $tanley Corporation, and I’m not interested in that story at all. And nor should any self respecting music documentary maker worth his salt.

The Simmons Stanley Corporation story from 1984 onwards is the sound of a million hippopotamus farts, blowing in unison at Paul Stanley’s stink face. Completely different band, Kiss in name only. Keep that crap outta my real Kiss doco, thankyouverymuch.
The issue here is, you (or any of us) don't get to choose what Kiss "is". That honour belongs to the owners. And they have chosen that for the last 18 years, Kiss IS Simmons, Stanley, Thayer and Singer. You may not approve, but it doesn't change the reality.

Kiss certainly USED to be the original four, but those days are long, long gone.
I respectfully disagree. And I’ve absolutely no time whatsoever for Gene and Paul ‘the owners’ corporate business speak. From Ace and Peter leaving onwards, it was no longer Kiss, and nothing more than the Simmons Stanley Corporation. It’s just a name, but beyond that, it sure wasn’t Kiss.

It was no more Kiss, than Page and Plant pooling their respective solo efforts would have been Led Zeppelin.
I respect your perspective, but counter that it's based on emotion, and what you want Kiss to be.
Kiss is Gene Paul Peter & Ace. Anything else might as well be Paul Stanley’s Soul Station.
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4391
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by TheSpoiler »

TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:37 pm
TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:33 pm
Chaim Wigz wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:26 pm
TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:18 pm

The issue here is, you (or any of us) don't get to choose what Kiss "is". That honour belongs to the owners. And they have chosen that for the last 18 years, Kiss IS Simmons, Stanley, Thayer and Singer. You may not approve, but it doesn't change the reality.

Kiss certainly USED to be the original four, but those days are long, long gone.
I respectfully disagree. And I’ve absolutely no time whatsoever for Gene and Paul ‘the owners’ corporate business speak. From Ace and Peter leaving onwards, it was no longer Kiss, and nothing more than the Simmons Stanley Corporation. It’s just a name, but beyond that, it sure wasn’t Kiss.

It was no more Kiss, than Page and Plant pooling their respective solo efforts would have been Led Zeppelin.
I respect your perspective, but counter that it's based on emotion, and what you want Kiss to be.
Kiss is Gene Paul Peter & Ace. Anything else might as well be Paul Stanley’s Soul Station.
Again, emotion over fact. It's a lovely fantasy.
User avatar
Chaim Wigz
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!
Posts: 2142
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 1:35 pm

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by Chaim Wigz »

The only fact, is the fact that Gene and
Paul kept the name. It was no more Kiss than Starship was Jefferson Airplane.
User avatar
King
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by King »

KISS is the story of 4 troubled young men who formed a band and became superstars and after 1978 it all fell apart for them but 2 of them kept the name alive afterwards. The end.
User avatar
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 981
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:42 am

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by TwistedTaste »

TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:39 pm
TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:37 pm
TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:33 pm
Chaim Wigz wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:26 pm

I respectfully disagree. And I’ve absolutely no time whatsoever for Gene and Paul ‘the owners’ corporate business speak. From Ace and Peter leaving onwards, it was no longer Kiss, and nothing more than the Simmons Stanley Corporation. It’s just a name, but beyond that, it sure wasn’t Kiss.

It was no more Kiss, than Page and Plant pooling their respective solo efforts would have been Led Zeppelin.
I respect your perspective, but counter that it's based on emotion, and what you want Kiss to be.
Kiss is Gene Paul Peter & Ace. Anything else might as well be Paul Stanley’s Soul Station.
Again, emotion over fact. It's a lovely fantasy.
Nope. Fact. And a cold, hard one you can’t swallow :D
User avatar
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4391
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by TheSpoiler »

TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:42 pm
TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:39 pm
TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:37 pm
TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:33 pm

I respect your perspective, but counter that it's based on emotion, and what you want Kiss to be.
Kiss is Gene Paul Peter & Ace. Anything else might as well be Paul Stanley’s Soul Station.
Again, emotion over fact. It's a lovely fantasy.
Nope. Fact. And a cold, hard one you can’t swallow :D
No, I'm accepting the reality that Kiss is not just the original lineup. Your "it's not Kiss to me" stance is just an emotion/nostalgia combo and nothing more. When you start heading down the "my fandom is superior to your fandom" route, you'll only end up in the playground, because that's where it belongs.
User avatar
StrangestWay
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Posts: 335
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:58 pm
Location: Greensboro, NC

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by StrangestWay »

So Cruel wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:27 pm Revisionist history. The story of Kiss is 4 knuckleheads (as Gene would like to say) from New York who overcame the odds to become a big band. Everything Kiss is right now is based off those initial 6 years.

I love that Gene told the director that Ace and Peter cannot be glossed over. They are an integral part of the Kiss story. Now Paul says it’s about the friendship of Gene and himself. Anyone who follows the band knows they aren’t close friends. The Rolling Stone article pointed that out.
THIS in it's every aspect. Thanks for this reply.
User avatar
StrangestWay
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Posts: 335
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:58 pm
Location: Greensboro, NC

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by StrangestWay »

TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:45 pm
TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:42 pm
TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:39 pm
TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:37 pm

Kiss is Gene Paul Peter & Ace. Anything else might as well be Paul Stanley’s Soul Station.
Again, emotion over fact. It's a lovely fantasy.
Nope. Fact. And a cold, hard one you can’t swallow :D
No, I'm accepting the reality that Kiss is not just the original lineup. Your "it's not Kiss to me" stance is just an emotion/nostalgia combo and nothing more. When you start heading down the "my fandom is superior to your fandom" route, you'll only end up in the playground, because that's where it belongs.
I have, FOREVER, since 1981 (12 yrs old) insisted that Kiss is whoever is in Kiss, and it's whoever Gene and Paul say is Kiss. That's completely fair, and still valid. (even if I personally think the new lineup is not greatness and Monster is the worst Kiss album. It's still valid as Kiss.)

That said, the original 4 was utterly crucial to the very existence of KISS. Without those four = Nothing. Wins over everything. All goes back to root.
User avatar
d4nugster
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1390
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:41 am
Location: a few nanoseconds behind...

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by d4nugster »

there' truth in what he says. the band wouldn't have lasted this long if a semblance of friendship didn't exist between gene and him. it's how he paints the picture fans have issue with.
mike115
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:31 am

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by mike115 »

I loved the band through many of their years when G&P were the only originals and also go to see originals. All just different versions of my Kiss.
User avatar
vantheman77
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!
Posts: 486
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:46 am

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by vantheman77 »

I'm glad that Gene wants Ace and Peter to be presented well in the documentary despite their refusal to participate. Paul is basically focusing on the current lineup and promoting them.
User avatar
banks
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 9586
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:56 am
Location: Finland

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by banks »

I guess the Yes story was basically about Chris Squire until he died and the Eagles story is now about Don Henley. 8)

Things can be simplified in the way we like.
User avatar
Spiritual_Chaos
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4341
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:06 am

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by Spiritual_Chaos »

Glasgow Kiss wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:35 am
Spiritual_Chaos wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:13 am Should be noted, in the interview with the Director of the Doc posted on this board - he says that he and Paul had discussions and talked about another musicdoc (name and/or artists in it escapes me) that was focused on "two friends" but the Director decided not to go down that route but make a doc focusing on the band as a whole.

So maybe Paul didn't get that memmo and now can't see the doc in another light than what he "wanted" it to be.
Maybe the Anvil one from a while back - those two were genuine childhood friends though rather than two guys who probably will never see each other again socially once they don't have to be in a band with each other any more.
No. Wasn't the Anvil one. But I loved that one.

Was so hyped up when they came here to Gothenburg - I wanted to support them in this small rock club and get some merch etc. But then I got appendicitis that night.
User avatar
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1089
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:10 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

Spiritual_Chaos wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:21 pm
Glasgow Kiss wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:35 am
Spiritual_Chaos wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:13 am Should be noted, in the interview with the Director of the Doc posted on this board - he says that he and Paul had discussions and talked about another musicdoc (name and/or artists in it escapes me) that was focused on "two friends" but the Director decided not to go down that route but make a doc focusing on the band as a whole.

So maybe Paul didn't get that memmo and now can't see the doc in another light than what he "wanted" it to be.
Maybe the Anvil one from a while back - those two were genuine childhood friends though rather than two guys who probably will never see each other again socially once they don't have to be in a band with each other any more.
No. Wasn't the Anvil one. But I loved that one.

Was so hyped up when they came here to Gothenburg - I wanted to support them in this small rock club and get some merch etc. But then I got appendicitis that night.
That sucks - the club wasn't the Rockbaren, was it? When the film came out here it premiered at the Glasgow Film Festival and the band played a short set in the cinema after the movie ended...the weirdest thing was that it was at the cinema that was built on the site of the old Apollo Theatre where I'd last seen Anvil opening for Motorhead in 1983.
User avatar
Spiritual_Chaos
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 4341
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:06 am

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by Spiritual_Chaos »

Glasgow Kiss wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:30 pm
Spiritual_Chaos wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:21 pm
Glasgow Kiss wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:35 am
Spiritual_Chaos wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:13 am Should be noted, in the interview with the Director of the Doc posted on this board - he says that he and Paul had discussions and talked about another musicdoc (name and/or artists in it escapes me) that was focused on "two friends" but the Director decided not to go down that route but make a doc focusing on the band as a whole.

So maybe Paul didn't get that memmo and now can't see the doc in another light than what he "wanted" it to be.
Maybe the Anvil one from a while back - those two were genuine childhood friends though rather than two guys who probably will never see each other again socially once they don't have to be in a band with each other any more.
No. Wasn't the Anvil one. But I loved that one.

Was so hyped up when they came here to Gothenburg - I wanted to support them in this small rock club and get some merch etc. But then I got appendicitis that night.
That sucks - the club wasn't the Rockbaren, was it? When the film came out here it premiered at the Glasgow Film Festival and the band played a short set in the cinema after the movie ended...the weirdest thing was that it was at the cinema that was built on the site of the old Apollo Theatre where I'd last seen Anvil opening for Motorhead in 1983.
No, but not that far from it. Sticky Fingers it's called.

Image
User avatar
px74
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 2696
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:12 am

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by px74 »

vantheman77 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:44 pm I'm glad that Gene wants Ace and Peter to be presented well in the documentary despite their refusal to participate. Paul is basically focusing on the current lineup and promoting them.
Which is interesting, because the dynamic was supposedly the other way around in 1995, though I have my doubts somewhat. Perhaps Gene had apprehension, but ain't no way he didn't expect a nice pay increase as compared to his Kiss earnings at that time - and we know money is king to him
Velvis
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1699
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:11 pm

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by Velvis »

Ack66 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:59 pm
So Cruel wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:27 pm Revisionist history. The story of Kiss is 4 knuckleheads (as Gene would like to say) from New York who overcame the odds to become a big band. Everything Kiss is right now is based off those initial 6 years.

I love that Gene told the director that Ace and Peter cannot be glossed over. They are an integral part of the Kiss story. Now Paul says it’s about the friendship of Gene and himself. Anyone who follows the band knows they aren’t close friends. The Rolling Stone article pointed that out.
The only person in the history of the band that should be glossed over is Vinnie.
Vinnie was in KISS with and without makeup and was involved in 3 of their best albums and 2 tours. Did you forget about Mark? or were you assuming he is not even worth glossing over?
ChiptTooth67
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:20 pm

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by ChiptTooth67 »

Now a documentary about the friendship of 2 rabid KISS fans from the early days to the present is something I’d be interested in. Sounds good, when does it air?
User avatar
Ack66
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member
Posts: 233
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:56 am

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by Ack66 »

Velvis wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:21 pm
Ack66 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:59 pm
So Cruel wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:27 pm Revisionist history. The story of Kiss is 4 knuckleheads (as Gene would like to say) from New York who overcame the odds to become a big band. Everything Kiss is right now is based off those initial 6 years.

I love that Gene told the director that Ace and Peter cannot be glossed over. They are an integral part of the Kiss story. Now Paul says it’s about the friendship of Gene and himself. Anyone who follows the band knows they aren’t close friends. The Rolling Stone article pointed that out.
The only person in the history of the band that should be glossed over is Vinnie.
Vinnie was in KISS with and without makeup and was involved in 3 of their best albums and 2 tours. Did you forget about Mark? or were you assuming he is not even worth glossing over?
Mark is merely a fraction of a footnote in the history of Kiss. Not worth what I just typed about him.
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned
Posts: 520
Joined: Mon May 31, 2021 3:45 pm

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by alanrosembung »

Mark, Bruce, Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer are all totally replaceable. Any competent touring musician could have been placeholders like those guys were.
norsemen
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!
Posts: 409
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:12 am

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by norsemen »

They should have gotten Rob Reiner to direct the «documentary»…
Inclined2RNRAN
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:26 pm

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by Inclined2RNRAN »

Wrong Paul — it’s about Beth... it’s ALWAYS been about Beth, followed by spitting blood, breathing fire, a certain someone’s long tongue, and a smoking guitar. :)
User avatar
Tito
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Posts: 7729
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:36 am
Location: Shady side of town.

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by Tito »

alanrosembung wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:35 pm Mark, Bruce, Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer are all totally replaceable.
Yes, because there just wasn't enough friendship there.
User avatar
The doctor
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan
Posts: 1349
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:01 am

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by The doctor »

ERIC SINGER: "I'd say it's like Yin and yang. A battery has a positive side and a negative side and together that creates the electrical energy that's needed for it to power something."

The Last KISS -- Backstage with the rockers on their final tour -- Sunday Night


The negative side may be from Gene. “I’ll sing everything,” Simmons said in another video. “Because my voice always works. I don’t lose my voice. I don’t lose my voice…Paul Stanley.”
Beers Are Calling
Banned
Banned
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:11 am

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by Beers Are Calling »

Yes, KISS is about this friendship:

Person 1: Paul Stanley
Person 2: Fans' money
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned
Posts: 520
Joined: Mon May 31, 2021 3:45 pm

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by alanrosembung »

More like

Gene Simmons
Fans Money

And

Paul Stanley
Paul Stanley’s need for ego gratification
User avatar
70skid
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!
Posts: 3103
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:25 am

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by 70skid »

As Peter Criss has said, he has no problem with whatever the heck Gene and Paul call KISS as long as somebody isn’t up there dressed as him. Even singing Beth for heaven’s sake. What is so hard to get ? Peter and Ace are 1/2 of the Original KISS and to present faux KISS with imposters while bashing the Originals is just an absolute fuck you to the people who made them rich.

All of the other iterations / presentations of KISS were completely fine and could be appreciated on their own merits. Eric Carr, VV, Bruce, all of them were respectful to the Originals. This KISS ? A disgrace to the legacy of the band.
User avatar
peterparker78
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:09 pm

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by peterparker78 »

Whether Kiss could continue without G&P as Kiss 2.0 is only half the issue, I'm not sure anyone would want to be the Demon or the Starchild knowing G&P would likely be side stage crtiqueing every move you made and every breath you took. I so wanted to be in a tribute band once, and actually tried to form one (very long story), but I would I want to be in Kiss 2.0 ? Nope....
mike115
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:31 am

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by mike115 »

70skid wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:09 pm As Peter Criss has said, he has no problem with whatever the heck Gene and Paul call KISS as long as somebody isn’t up there dressed as him. Even singing Beth for heaven’s sake. What is so hard to get ? Peter and Ace are 1/2 of the Original KISS and to present faux KISS with imposters while bashing the Originals is just an absolute fuck you to the people who made them rich.

All of the other iterations / presentations of KISS were completely fine and could be appreciated on their own merits. Eric Carr, VV, Bruce, all of them were respectful to the Originals. This KISS ? A disgrace to the legacy of the band.
So why did Peter (and Ace) sell rights to the personas. I'll take the cash but you can't use what I sold?
In broad terms post 2000 Kiss is G&P and the rights they bought. I suspect they spent their 70's money a long time ago but continued to earn a lot more after the A&P days.
User avatar
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 981
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:42 am

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by TwistedTaste »

mike115 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:54 pm
70skid wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:09 pm As Peter Criss has said, he has no problem with whatever the heck Gene and Paul call KISS as long as somebody isn’t up there dressed as him. Even singing Beth for heaven’s sake. What is so hard to get ? Peter and Ace are 1/2 of the Original KISS and to present faux KISS with imposters while bashing the Originals is just an absolute fuck you to the people who made them rich.

All of the other iterations / presentations of KISS were completely fine and could be appreciated on their own merits. Eric Carr, VV, Bruce, all of them were respectful to the Originals. This KISS ? A disgrace to the legacy of the band.
So why did Peter (and Ace) sell rights to the personas. I'll take the cash but you can't use what I sold?
In broad terms post 2000 Kiss is G&P and the rights they bought. I suspect they spent their 70's money a long time ago but continued to earn a lot more after the A&P days.
I don’t think Peter or Ace realized Gene & Paul would stoop so low as to ever dress other people up as them. Kind of a common decency thing, know what I mean? They probably assumed they’d just put their faces on a bunch of merch.

In addition - I would never think that fans would actually pay to see kiss as a tribute band. It still is odd to me fans support the current band (I’m not criticizing current fans - just saying it’s surprising/shocking to me) & I’m sure Ace & Peter felt the same.

Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.
mike115
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:31 am

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by mike115 »

So what were A&P selling? If there was a common deceny thing why were they selling it? If they assumed things incorrectly is that somone else's fault?
As to 2.0 Kiss is live entertainment. No idea if it would work but I'm not closed to a good night out. I enjoyed the history but don't see that others shouldn't have the oportunity not to experience evena very watered down version.
User avatar
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 981
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:42 am

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by TwistedTaste »

mike115 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:19 pm So what were A&P selling? If there was a common deceny thing why were they selling it? If they assumed things incorrectly is that somone else's fault?
As to 2.0 Kiss is live entertainment. No idea if it would work but I'm not closed to a good night out. I enjoyed the history but don't see that others shouldn't have the oportunity not to experience evena very watered down version.
I guess we all have different interpretations of what “live entertainment” is.
You can’t really even refer to them as a live act anymore because of the fake vocals and backing tapes.

I hate that they’re going out this way. A damn shame and was totally avoidable.
mike115
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:31 am

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by mike115 »

TwistedTaste wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:30 pm
mike115 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:19 pm So what were A&P selling? If there was a common deceny thing why were they selling it? If they assumed things incorrectly is that somone else's fault?
As to 2.0 Kiss is live entertainment. No idea if it would work but I'm not closed to a good night out. I enjoyed the history but don't see that others shouldn't have the oportunity not to experience evena very watered down version.
I guess we all have different interpretations of what “live entertainment” is.
You can’t really even refer to them as a live act anymore because of the fake vocals and backing tapes.

I hate that they’re going out this way. A damn shame and was totally avoidable.
Out of interest what was the last show you went to?
Mine was Glasgow 2019 and warts and all i had a great nights entertainment.
User avatar
kwf484
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:03 pm

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by kwf484 »

mike115 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:34 pm
TwistedTaste wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:30 pm
mike115 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:19 pm So what were A&P selling? If there was a common deceny thing why were they selling it? If they assumed things incorrectly is that somone else's fault?
As to 2.0 Kiss is live entertainment. No idea if it would work but I'm not closed to a good night out. I enjoyed the history but don't see that others shouldn't have the oportunity not to experience evena very watered down version.
I guess we all have different interpretations of what “live entertainment” is.
You can’t really even refer to them as a live act anymore because of the fake vocals and backing tapes.

I hate that they’re going out this way. A damn shame and was totally avoidable.
Out of interest what was the last show you went to?
Mine was Glasgow 2019 and warts and all i had a great nights entertainment.
What was your thoughts on the lip-syncing? Done well? You enjoyed it? Want more?
mike115
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:31 am

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by mike115 »

kwf484 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:10 am
mike115 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:34 pm
TwistedTaste wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:30 pm
mike115 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:19 pm So what were A&P selling? If there was a common deceny thing why were they selling it? If they assumed things incorrectly is that somone else's fault?
As to 2.0 Kiss is live entertainment. No idea if it would work but I'm not closed to a good night out. I enjoyed the history but don't see that others shouldn't have the oportunity not to experience evena very watered down version.
I guess we all have different interpretations of what “live entertainment” is.
You can’t really even refer to them as a live act anymore because of the fake vocals and backing tapes.

I hate that they’re going out this way. A damn shame and was totally avoidable.
Out of interest what was the last show you went to?
Mine was Glasgow 2019 and warts and all i had a great nights entertainment.
What was your thoughts on the lip-syncing? Done well? You enjoyed it? Want more?
Did I like it -No.
Was it done wll - yes I think so.
Did I enjoy the shows - yes even with the knowledge I had.
Want more - not 100% on that one! If they return to Europe it will be 3 years since the last visit and age catches up with everyone.
User avatar
Mr.Antonio2005
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:57 am

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by Mr.Antonio2005 »

Dear Lord, please stop Paul. These stories are comical and cringeworthy.
User avatar
gooerstcb
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:19 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by gooerstcb »

alanrosembung wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:58 pm
ftjr1974 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:29 pm I truly believe Paul is losing his mind.
Probably lack of oxygen from wearing his mask when he rides his bike on those vital selfie-missions. Plus the wig glue would react to the excess heat in his helmet and give off dangerous fumes.
Maybe you should get some oxygen and visit a a head Dr. It seems that your only goal is to tear down a band that supposedly like. You seem to have an extra special fixation with Paul. Hmmm. LOL!
User avatar
kwf484
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:03 pm

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by kwf484 »

mike115 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:05 am
kwf484 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:10 am
mike115 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:34 pm
TwistedTaste wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:30 pm

I guess we all have different interpretations of what “live entertainment” is.
You can’t really even refer to them as a live act anymore because of the fake vocals and backing tapes.

I hate that they’re going out this way. A damn shame and was totally avoidable.
Out of interest what was the last show you went to?
Mine was Glasgow 2019 and warts and all i had a great nights entertainment.
What was your thoughts on the lip-syncing? Done well? You enjoyed it? Want more?
Did I like it -No.
Was it done wll - yes I think so.
Did I enjoy the shows - yes even with the knowledge I had.
Want more - not 100% on that one! If they return to Europe it will be 3 years since the last visit and age catches up with everyone.
Fair enough...