Tribute Bands or Cold Turkey?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.

Will KIϟϟ Tribute Bands Help Sustain Your Fandom?

Yes
10%
No
74%
Maybe
17%

Total votes: 121

mamado
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Tribute Bands or Cold Turkey?

Post by mamado »

No. :flower:
AceTattoo
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by AceTattoo »

I swore up and down I would never see any tribute bands… EVER…. Then my wife duped me and bought Foreigner tickets a few years ago…
DaveinSpain
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by DaveinSpain »

Wichita77 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:40 pm
DaveinSpain wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:10 pm To answer the question no tribute bands do not help me sustain my fandom.....but I have enjoyed many tribute bands. From Kiss to The Ramones to AC/DC to the Smith's to The Misfits & Joy Division. But they have always just been a fun night out hearing music from bands I love....but none of it makes a difference in my fandom of bands.
I'll have to side with you on this one. I enjoy live music, and when someone does it well, whether it's in a cover band or full-out tribute band, it can be a lot of fun. I saw an Eagles Tribute band once that was insanely good. Close your eyes and it was them. They weren't pretending to be the Eagles, but they were playing the music as good as the real thing though, and I got to enjoy it without spending a fortune. Same thing with a Skynyrd tribute I saw awhile back. It was as good as the current band (that I've seen often). I've watched enough bad bands on YouTube to know this isn't the norm, but when the bands are good enough to get booked in Nashville, it's usually a safe bet for a fun evening. As it's not the real thing, you can relax over a few beers with friends while listening to live music. That works for me.

With KISS, they are playing the parts of the characters, so that might be a different deal, but if they are good and the beer is cold, I'd be up for giving it a try.
I once saw a band in Texas called SSIK I didn't think anything of it. 5 guys got on stage in street clothes and the singer said "I hope you like KISS cuz we're just gonna play Kiss songs all night" they weren't a tribute per se but I guess a cover band? I dont know but they were awesome. And yeah good music cold beer good times.
savage_dreams
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by savage_dreams »

ive never enjoyed tribute bands in the slightest, of any artist. but then im not a fan of cover bands either. as a musician ive never even played onstage in a cover project.
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wichita77 »

DaveinSpain wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:12 am
Wichita77 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:40 pm
DaveinSpain wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:10 pm To answer the question no tribute bands do not help me sustain my fandom.....but I have enjoyed many tribute bands. From Kiss to The Ramones to AC/DC to the Smith's to The Misfits & Joy Division. But they have always just been a fun night out hearing music from bands I love....but none of it makes a difference in my fandom of bands.
I'll have to side with you on this one. I enjoy live music, and when someone does it well, whether it's in a cover band or full-out tribute band, it can be a lot of fun. I saw an Eagles Tribute band once that was insanely good. Close your eyes and it was them. They weren't pretending to be the Eagles, but they were playing the music as good as the real thing though, and I got to enjoy it without spending a fortune. Same thing with a Skynyrd tribute I saw awhile back. It was as good as the current band (that I've seen often). I've watched enough bad bands on YouTube to know this isn't the norm, but when the bands are good enough to get booked in Nashville, it's usually a safe bet for a fun evening. As it's not the real thing, you can relax over a few beers with friends while listening to live music. That works for me.

With KISS, they are playing the parts of the characters, so that might be a different deal, but if they are good and the beer is cold, I'd be up for giving it a try.
I once saw a band in Texas called SSIK I didn't think anything of it. 5 guys got on stage in street clothes and the singer said "I hope you like KISS cuz we're just gonna play Kiss songs all night" they weren't a tribute per se but I guess a cover band? I dont know but they were awesome. And yeah good music cold beer good times.
It's nice to run into a KISS fan who still remembers how to have a good time. There are others here too, but we seem to be getting outnumbered. :)
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wichita77 »

savage_dreams wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:24 am ive never enjoyed tribute bands in the slightest, of any artist. but then im not a fan of cover bands either. as a musician ive never even played onstage in a cover project.
That seems odd to me. I'm a musician too. I've played in cover bands and I've done original stuff too. Whether I'm playing or listening, live music, played well, has always appealed to me regardless of the songs played. It's fun for me to work up new acoustic arrangements on other people's songs too, and hear the way other people do that too.

Personally I'd much rather see a cover band that is killing it to songs I know, than listen to someone perform original songs I didn't know, but then again, I'm wired to have a good time either way.

To each their own.
Chaim Wigz
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Chaim Wigz »

I’ve done without seeing ‘Kiss’ live for over twenty years now, and I’m managing just fine. My last shows were all originals with Ace and Peter, and I wouldn’t change that for the world.

As long as I/you still continue to check out new music, tribute bands are a good fun night out with friends, at a fraction of the price. I’m all for em!
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

AceTattoo wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:49 am I swore up and down I would never see any tribute bands… EVER…. Then my wife duped me and bought Foreigner tickets a few years ago…
:lol: truth.

About the Kiss tributes, someone posted a Kiss tribute band here a while ago (they may have been from Finland, but not sure) and they were unique in that they were a three-piece, only doing Ace, Gene and Peter. No Paul. And without a sub-standard "Paul" guy making them look silly, they were actually really, really good. Ace did the singing, and all three performed well, even if kind of laid back. Very enjoyable clips, I wish I can remember the name.
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wichita77 »

redinthesky wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:18 pm
AceTattoo wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:49 am I swore up and down I would never see any tribute bands… EVER…. Then my wife duped me and bought Foreigner tickets a few years ago…
:lol: truth.

About the Kiss tributes, someone posted a Kiss tribute band here a while ago (they may have been from Finland, but not sure) and they were unique in that they were a three-piece, only doing Ace, Gene and Peter. No Paul. And without a sub-standard "Paul" guy making them look silly, they were actually really, really good. Ace did the singing, and all three performed well, even if kind of laid back. Very enjoyable clips, I wish I can remember the name.
I saw Foghat back in the days of Lonesome Dave and then again just before Covid with only the drummer left. It was a blast. Molly Hatchet has zero original members, but where else can you go to hear Bounty Hunter cranked up through a stack of Marshall's?

I'd be totally up for seeing a KISS tribute band in a club with an Alive! vibe.

Damn I miss live shows. I'm scouring Ticketmaster and adding them up now. :)
Kissoff
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Kissoff »

Bruce wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:00 pm I'm seeing, here, what amounts to a hard "No!" to tribute bands. I have been taken by surprise -- I expected this poll to be much closer. Don't ask me why ...
I for one think the poll was a great timely idea as I always enjoy your contributions here so Thank You.
sneed78

Post by sneed78 »

The idea of a tribute band is fine if it’s done once and awhile just for fun or to pay your respects to what influenced you to be creative in the first place... or maybe make a bit of extra money on the side.

Where it gets cringeworthy and sad is when a musician, artist, performer, etc devotes all their time and effort into recreating another mere mortal’s idea, concept, songwriting, etc.

In other words, cold turkey for me... 🥶 🦃
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Kissoff wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:51 pm I for one think the poll was a great timely idea as I always enjoy your contributions here so Thank You.
I appreciate reading that. Most kind.
The doctor
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The doctor »

Cold Turkey for me. :)

jconnors
Location: OHIO STATE BUCKEYES 2018 AND 2019 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Post by jconnors »

Yes.

I love tribute bands. Good fun and better setlist.
KisstineSixteen
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by KisstineSixteen »

I have never gone to see ANY tribute band with the mindset that they would be filling a void left by the absence of one of my favorite bands ( The Beatles) or that they are supplementing a lack of availability of my favorite band ( KISS), that’s just crazy talk and you are setting yourself up for massive disappointment if you go in with that mindset no matter how spectacular the trib might be.
I go because I love the pageantry of it all. I’m a theatre person and always have been, so I love to perform and I love all of the aspects that go into making a show. I enjoy ( well I try to enjoy it because let’s face it, it’s a real crime scene sometimes 😂) seeing how people interpret the characters they are playing, physically/vocally/stylistically. I love seeing the costumes recreated and sometimes it’s cringe inducing but still interesting.
At the end of the day whether you are good or bad, it takes huge balls to get up and perform. Putting yourself out there to be judged like that is not something that everyone can do or handle so I will always have respect for anyone who does….even if maybe they should stop lol.
cgtrman
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by cgtrman »

No offense to KISS but with the original four, there is not a high bar for musicianship and most of the KISS tributes I've seen have subpar musicians like guys that look the part but can't play/sing, guys that can are great musicians but don't look the part. There's always one or more guys in the band that ruin the whole experience. Then there's the fact that 99% can't do justice to Paul vocally.

I don't think any KISS tribute post-KISS will have much success. Get ready for the KISS holograms, which knowing Paul will have designed Peter to look and play badly as another way to stick it to Peter.