Curious About the Dislike for Tommy

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Re: Curious About the Dislike for Tommy

Post by redinthesky »

sugardaddy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:15 pm
TwistedTaste wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:31 pm
sugardaddy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:01 pm If you have a problem with Tommy, which I do not, you have no one else to blame but Ace
Kiss told the World in 2000 that this was it - they were done. I for one spent a lot of cash on that tour.

Gene & Paul lied.

The end
So did Ozzy, so did The Crue, so did Scorpions, and on and on....what does that have to do with Tommy?
On and on is right.... Cher, The Who, Barry Manilow, NIN, others....Trent Reznor had an interesting quote about NIN's then-final tour....
"I’d never want to be Gene Simmons, an old man who puts on make-up to entertain kids, like a clown going to work… In my paranoia, I fear that if I don’t stop this, it could become that.”
BEARSFAN
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by BEARSFAN »

I like Tommy. He is a good guitar player who does his job. Seems like a genuinely nice guy. I think it’s simply because he isn't Ace and some people are pissed he is wearing the makeup. It’s something to bitch about. Everyone is entitled to their own preference or opinion. Mine is Kiss didn’t end in 2001. Tommy along with Eric helped keep the band going another 20 years.
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TwistedTaste »

sugardaddy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:15 pm
TwistedTaste wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:31 pm
sugardaddy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:01 pm If you have a problem with Tommy, which I do not, you have no one else to blame but Ace
Kiss told the World in 2000 that this was it - they were done. I for one spent a lot of cash on that tour.

Gene & Paul lied.

The end
So did Ozzy, so did The Crue, so did Scorpions, and on and on....what does that have to do with Tommy?
I have to spell it out for you?
Kissoff
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Kissoff »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:01 am
Kissoff wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:55 pm
RiverCitySlim wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:15 pm The shape of his head doesn't suit the make up. Just looks weird.
I agree.
Gotta admit -- and I know this is blasphemy on my part--a friend of mine once showed me a picture he had taken with the band at a meet and greet and on a really quick glance, I mistook Tommy for Ace. In my defense, Peter was in the picture as well so I thought it was the original lineup from the reunion tour.
Believe me, I understand.
Parallax1
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Parallax1 »

Tommy is fine.
He has been the Space Man for 100,000 years.
Paid his dues and has some really kool guitars!
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

Kissoff wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:31 pm
Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:01 am
Kissoff wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:55 pm
RiverCitySlim wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:15 pm The shape of his head doesn't suit the make up. Just looks weird.
I agree.
Gotta admit -- and I know this is blasphemy on my part--a friend of mine once showed me a picture he had taken with the band at a meet and greet and on a really quick glance, I mistook Tommy for Ace. In my defense, Peter was in the picture as well so I thought it was the original lineup from the reunion tour.
Believe me, I understand.
Weird thing about Tommy is I don't think he does the makeup exactly as Ace did it. I don't ever recall Tommy using blue eyeshadow like Ace did back in the day. There are also some pictures where it looks like Tommy isn't even applying the silver makeup around his eyes. So I guess he has that going for him in the originality department.
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

We discussed his use of the blue on here a few days ago.
gene therapist
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by gene therapist »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:06 pm
gene therapist wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:04 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:59 am
gene therapist wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:28 am Tommy IS boring - and Paul & Gene are probably very happy that he is so. Tommy's image is made up of maybe 5% rock star, 10% coffee boy and 85% golfer. With that profile in mind, I agree it's quite an accomplishment to attract so much hate.

And no, Tommy is NOT wearing "Ace's makeup". Ace sold the rights, grabbed the cash and ran laughing to the bank (that is, until he realized he had struck a bad deal and turned into a bitter old whiner).
Please. It is Ace's makeup. Selling the rights doesn't negate reality. Don't make excuses. The bottom line is that Tommy and Eric are playing the roles of Ace Frehley and Peter Criss. Eric knows this. It seems Tommy doesn't as much.
Ace Frehley and Peter Criss are living persons. Spacenan and Catman are trademarked characters a.k.a. roles. Neither Tommy nor Eric have ever claimed to be Ace Frehley or Peter Criss. Why not? Because, well, that would be completely asinine.
:lol:

Eric has.
I have yet to see evidence where Eric has said he is Peter Criss. Maybe as a joke when he was drunk or something? Makes no sense otherwise.
You are a good Paul and Gene soldier.
Thanks! I'm sure P&G desperately need me in their ranks. You on the other hand seem to be well stocked on Kool Aid from Planet Jendell. Sip sip hooray!
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

I’ve seen video of a kid dressed up like Eric and Eric has said “oh you look just like little Peter!”. Eric knows what he’s doing.
TheSpoiler
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by TheSpoiler »

alanrosembung wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:14 am I’ve seen video of a kid dressed up like Eric and Eric has said “oh you look just like little Peter!”. Eric knows what he’s doing.
Yes, at a convention. I thought it actually showed respect for Peter, TBH. Imagine the uproar if he's said "You look like a little me".

Eric S has never claimed to be Peter Criss or "playing Peter Criss" to my knowledge, as was stated above. I also understand that bringing the chikaras back to his costume was a nod to both previous drummers.
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

And the spiderweb on the back of his costume around Sonic Boom era, that was straight off Peter’s 73/74 outfit.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

alanrosembung wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:50 am And the spiderweb on the back of his costume around Sonic Boom era, that was straight off Peter’s 73/74 outfit.
Yep. Lots of callbacks. It's cool, I think.
savage_dreams

Post by savage_dreams »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:20 am
savage_dreams wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:33 am because people are assholes and/or just cant give up their childhood fantasies about their favorite band.
I think many would just be happy with a FAR better guitarist in KISS, who elevates the band if it can't be the originals. Put Doug Aldrich in there and you won't have anything even close to the complaining about Tommy.
not true. because he would not play anything like ace and thats all you would hear the bitching be about. people dont want the band elevated, they wanted it to be a exact clone of what it was in the 70s, which is impossible no matter who is in the band.
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TwistedTaste »

TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:29 am
alanrosembung wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:14 am I’ve seen video of a kid dressed up like Eric and Eric has said “oh you look just like little Peter!”. Eric knows what he’s doing.
Yes, at a convention. I thought it actually showed respect for Peter, TBH. Imagine the uproar if he's said "You look like a little me".

Eric S has never claimed to be Peter Criss or "playing Peter Criss" to my knowledge, as was stated above.
Yeah, he just dresses up like the friggin guy every night :lol:
battra
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by battra »

Where's Drago? wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:23 pm
battra wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:25 am
Where's Drago? wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:50 am
battra wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:02 am

You seem to know about the sale.

Can you please elaborate?

I’d love to know the details.
Sold his make-up rights, leases his make-up rights, signed them away in a Reunion contract, swapped them for some cold gin, the details don't really matter. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding. Tommy is in Ace's make-up ultimately because of decisions made by Ace.
I disagree. The circumstances matter greatly.

Because that’s how we divine whether or not he made a good decision.
Well, that's a fair point of course.

Ultimately, it really does depend on whose perspective we're talking:

Ace's? Ace may have made exactly the right decision for his needs.

Ours? That decision may have resulted in a bad situation for fans.

Gene and Paul's? It's worked out well for them, either way.
If Ace was presented with a demand that he sells the likeness or he lives in poverty, I don’t blame him for making the choice he did.

Again.

I cannot judge Ace’s actions without knowing the circumstances.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:31 am

Eric S has never claimed to be Peter Criss or "playing Peter Criss" to my knowledge, as was stated above.
But he's never claimed to be him, as stated above. That was bullshit.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

battra wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:02 am
If Ace was presented with a demand that he sells the likeness or he lives in poverty, I don’t blame him for making the choice he did.

Again.

I cannot judge Ace’s actions without knowing the circumstances.
Sure, but it's very very very very unlikely that it was that black and white, for Ace. Or Peter, who said he was "down to his last $100k", which equates to "doing better than most people in America".
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TwistedTaste »

TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:09 am

Keep living in your little fantasy land :lol:
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:19 am

Show me where Eric Singer has claimed to be Peter Criss. One example will do.

Is anyone still under the assumption that it's Criss up there? :lol:

I'd imagine the decent drumming and the loudly shouted "Eric Singer on drums" might be enough of a clue for people not in the know :lol:
KlassicKISS54
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by KlassicKISS54 »

savage_dreams wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:20 am
savage_dreams wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:33 am because people are assholes and/or just cant give up their childhood fantasies about their favorite band.
I think many would just be happy with a FAR better guitarist in KISS, who elevates the band if it can't be the originals. Put Doug Aldrich in there and you won't have anything even close to the complaining about Tommy.
not true. because he would not play anything like ace and thats all you would hear the bitching be about. people dont want the band elevated, they wanted it to be a exact clone of what it was in the 70s, which is impossible no matter who is in the band.
I have to disagree with that. My first concert for KISS was in 1977. But I followed them through their unmasking and likely championed them even more when they struggled during that period. So its not about just one era. I always loved their creative process with music and what the next album might sound like. Once they reunited the original members in 1996, all of that really went away. If we're being completely honest, thats when they actually became a nostalgia act, (and thats with the original four members). So when you talk about someone wanting a 70's clone, you're actually taking that from the KISS business model they've been using for nearly two decades. I do not want clones (which is how you would describe Tommy and Eric). I want them to just keep it real. Let those guys express themselves and be their own person instead of playing a character someone else created.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

KlassicKISS54 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:18 am
savage_dreams wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:20 am
I have to disagree with that. My first concert for KISS was in 1977. But I followed them through their unmasking and likely championed them even more when they struggled during that period. So its not about just one era. I always loved their creative process with music and what the next album might sound like. Once they reunited the original members in 1996, all of that really went away. If we're being completely honest, thats when they actually became a nostalgia act, (and thats with the original four members). So when you talk about someone wanting a 70's clone, you're actually taking that from the KISS business model they've been using for nearly two decades. I do not want clones (which is how you would describe Tommy and Eric). I want them to just keep it real. Let those guys express themselves and be their own person instead of playing a character someone else created.
I'm inclined to agree, but look what happened with Vinnie Vincent and Bruce Kulick. Both were hammered RELENTLESSLY for "not playing the solos properly" or "not playing like Ace did", and now we have Tommy Thayer who gets hammered relentlessly for playing the solos "just like Ace". :lol:
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Eric Singer absolutely knows what he is doing and what he is agreed to. He knows he is playing the role of Peter Criss from the Baby Peter comment among others to playing Beth. He has been more honest about it than Tommy has and apparently some fans like you.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:01 am

Eric Singer absolutely knows what he is doing and what he is agreed to. He knows he is playing the role of Peter Criss from the Baby Peter comment among others to playing Beth. He has been more honest about it than Tommy has and apparently some fans like you.
Well unless I'm missing something, Tommy has never claimed to be Ace either.

I saw a YOUTUBE video of a meet-and-greet between a family with a young child, and the kid had drawn a picture of Ace in spaceman garb. The kid showed the picture to Tommy and told him it was of Ace, but added that if Tommy wanted it, he could have the picture. Tommy not only accepted the picture, he made a big deal about how nice it was drawn which I'm sure made the kid feel great.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:49 am

I saw a YOUTUBE video of a meet-and-greet between a family with a young child, and the kid had drawn a picture of Ace in spaceman garb. The kid showed the picture to Tommy and told him it was of Ace, but added that if Tommy wanted it, he could have the picture. Tommy not only accepted the picture, he made a big deal about how nice it was drawn which I'm sure made the kid feel great.
Tommy takes it to a whole other level that Eric does not. Tommy puts out guitars with him dressed up as Ace Frehley in the ads as opposed to him unmasked just selling a Tommy Thayer guitar. It's rather pathetic.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:59 am
Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:49 am

Tommy takes it to a whole other level that Eric does not. Tommy puts out guitars with him dressed up as Ace Frehley in the ads as opposed to him unmasked just selling a Tommy Thayer guitar. It's rather pathetic.
Ok, I see your point. That said, if Tommy is using the makeup to promote his signature guitars (by the way, how many signature guitars does a person need to have?), maybe the KISS machine is getting a cut of it? I mean I can't see G&P allowing the use of the makeup for commercial purposes unless the main organization is getting a cut.
His Majesty

Post by His Majesty »

It's really weird when two people with the same avatar argue with one another...
FlamingRuth

Post by FlamingRuth »

His Majesty wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:13 am

It's really weird when two people with the same avatar argue with one another...
That'll teach me to quit relying on avatars.
I thought it was just one guy who kept thinking of more things to post.
His Majesty

Post by His Majesty »

FlamingRuth wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:17 am
His Majesty wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:13 am

That'll teach me to quit relying on avatars.
I thought it was just one guy who kept thinking of more things to post.
TheSpoiler's brother was an only child....
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Since you insist on begging for a response like you said you'd never do:

He could have said "you look like a baby me" which you would have objected to, he could have said "you look like a baby catman" which you would also have objected to, but he chose to say "baby Peter" which was probably the most gracious thing he could have said, and you object to that too.

That said, back to normal programming....
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:38 am

He could have said "you look like a baby me" which you would have objected to, he could have said "you look like a baby catman" which you would also have objected to, but he chose to say "baby Peter" which was probably the most gracious thing he could have said, and you object to that too.

No, I wouldn't. He was stating reality and his role. You seem to have a real problem with reality when it comes to KISS.

Carry on.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:41 am

No, I wouldn't. He was stating reality and his role. You seem to have a real problem with reality when it comes to KISS.

Carry on.
You're assuming what he meant, in other words. Its up there with people slamming what Paul "was thinking" :lol:

Back to your biteplate, HeyMan.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:52 am

Carry on.
You're assuming what he meant, in other words. Its up there with people slamming what Paul "was thinking" :lol:

Yes, because saying Baby Peter of all things isn't clear enough.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:55 am
TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:52 am

Carry on.

Hush now little one. Its the weekend, there will be a ton of things for you to sneer at, so cheer up a little.
cason96
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by cason96 »

Well he's a scab
RisingForce

Post by RisingForce »

TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:04 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:55 am
Hush now little one. Its the weekend, there will be a ton of things for you to sneer at, so cheer up a little.
Enough....................again.
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

I lost respect for Tommy when he snapped at an interviewer in Europe on the Sonic Boom tour and said “I’m not a fill in! I’m the lead guitarist in KISS!”. Yeah, come up with your own solos on Sonic Boom instead of cutting and pasting someone else’s licks then, spaghetti man.
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TwistedTaste »

alanrosembung wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:19 pm I lost respect for Tommy when he snapped at an interviewer in Europe on the Sonic Boom tour and said “I’m not a fill in! I’m the lead guitarist in KISS!”. Yeah, come up with your own solos on Sonic Boom instead of cutting and pasting someone else’s licks then, spaghetti man.
Did he really say that?
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

TwistedTaste wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:31 pm
alanrosembung wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:19 pm I lost respect for Tommy when he snapped at an interviewer in Europe on the Sonic Boom tour and said “I’m not a fill in! I’m the lead guitarist in KISS!”. Yeah, come up with your own solos on Sonic Boom instead of cutting and pasting someone else’s licks then, spaghetti man.
Did he really say that?
I saw the clip in question, but I wouldn't say Tommy snapped at the interviewer to where he was being a dick.
gottaRockRockRawk
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by gottaRockRockRawk »

When I was eight years old, as seen in my avatar, miming along with Kiss Alive II with my mom's tennis racket, I never even thought of the "Starchild" or "Spaceman". I was make believe playing that I was Paul Stanley or Ace Frehley.

Tommy is doing the same thing. What a lucky bastard.
LordThurisaz

Post by LordThurisaz »

How many of Ace's licks -- or anyone's for that matter -- are just copying and pasting other people's licks? Even Eddie Van Halen was just copying and pasting Clapton, Holdsworth, DiMeola, Blackmore, etc. ideas.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

LordThurisaz wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:43 pm
How many of Ace's licks -- or anyone's for that matter -- are just copying and pasting other people's licks? Even Eddie Van Halen was just copying and pasting Clapton, Holdsworth, DiMeola, Blackmore, etc. ideas.
Yes, but they - especially Eddie took them to another level. Ace elevated KISS. Tommy does not. He's an Ace Frehley tribute guitarist who happens to actually be in KISS.
LordThurisaz

Post by LordThurisaz »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:49 pm
Yes, but they - especially Eddie took them to another level. Ace elevated KISS. Tommy does not.
I don't know, Bill Nelson did pretty fine.
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever read on here.

The solos on SB are literally snippets of well known Ace solos from old KISS songs. One after the other. You’re listening to a new song and it’s jarring when you hear the solo to Parasite being played.

Show me a Van Halen song where EVH is literally playing a bunch of someone’s existing solo parts one after the other.

And even then, your comparison is inane because EVH isnt joining Clapton’s band and playing them on albums of new material.

A better example would be if Bruce joined KISS and all his solos on Asylum were Ace’s 70s solos cut and pasted together on every song.

Or Tommy Bolin joining Deep Purple and every song being jumbled up Blackmore solos.
Last edited by alanrosembung on Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ack66
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Ack66 »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:31 am I think one issue is that Eric completely knows that he is pretending to be Peter Criss. He is under no illusions as to his role in the current KISS. Like he said to the kid - he was dressed as "Baby Peter" - not Baby Him.

With Tommy, it is like he actually believes that he is Ace or the Spaceman in KISS and putting out guitars with Ace Frehley makeup in the ads, etc. It's too much.

Tommy has taken it to an embarrassing level that Eric has not.
Oh come on, Tommy doesn’t think he’s Ace. That’s silly.
DaveinSpain
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by DaveinSpain »

Pay me what they pay Tommy and I'll gladly travel the world playing concerts to thousands of people dressed up as Ace Frehley,Joey Ramone or any other person you want me too then after the show I will bring you spaghetti with a smile on my face. Dude is living the dream. And seems like a nice guy who is also a fan of the music. I won't pay these outrageous prices to see them & hear the same 17 songs over & over,but that has nothing to do with him. I'd gladly take his job hate and all.
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:59 am Tommy takes it to a whole other level that Eric does not. Tommy puts out guitars with him dressed up as Ace Frehley in the ads as opposed to him unmasked just selling a Tommy Thayer guitar. It's rather pathetic.
The fact that he has a signature guitar (even if it is Epiphone) is quite bizarre.. But I guess they're shifting some.
My advice to any FAQers on the fence or wanting a decent "player", or might be a bit confused; would be to get a Gibson Les Paul Studio which you'll get for around the same price as one of these signatures. Particularly ones from the early 00's. Around '03 , '04, '05 are very good. Same woods, same components as the high ends, just not the aesthetics. Great guitars..
neiltracy00
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by neiltracy00 »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:31 pm I'm genuinely curious as to why Tommy gets crapped on so much by some fans, as he seems like a good dude. Is it because he's in Ace's makeup (which probably wasn't his choice)? Because he's boring? Because he likes Rice Krispies instead of Cheerios? And if it's a makeup issue, then why doesn't Eric get the same amount of crap from people?
Tommy trounces that useless drunk frehley in everything now, easy. All some moan about is the make up. Was not his choice, why not moan about Paul and Gene, they probably have it in his contract, not Tommys fault. any one of the whiners on here I bet, would never say no if they were asked to join Kiss and had to be an Ace clone. So why moan about Tommy in it. Frehley is heading for a table full to sit as and pics to sign at a scifi convention within 5 years.
neiltracy00
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by neiltracy00 »

Ack66 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:58 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:31 am I think one issue is that Eric completely knows that he is pretending to be Peter Criss. He is under no illusions as to his role in the current KISS. Like he said to the kid - he was dressed as "Baby Peter" - not Baby Him.

With Tommy, it is like he actually believes that he is Ace or the Spaceman in KISS and putting out guitars with Ace Frehley makeup in the ads, etc. It's too much.

Tommy has taken it to an embarrassing level that Eric has not.
Oh come on, Tommy doesn’t think he’s Ace. That’s silly.
oh god, new fan alert, with a post like this
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

cason96 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:06 pm Well he's a scab
Is Ace on strike? No, he quit the band, so therefore Tommy is not a scab in the true sense of the word.

Me personally, I have no big issues with Tommy other than his performance doesn't do anything and I don't think his face looks quite right in the makeup. I never met the guy but he carries himself quite well, seems very friendly and cooperative with fans and reporters, and doesn't have that "My shit don't stink" attitude that his boss seems to have.

I don't begrudge him for having signature guitars and amps--if those companies came to him and offered him a deal, then good for him. And even better for him if he's donating his proceeds from the amp sales to children's hospitals, which I believe he is.

My take in reading some of the posts here is that Ace is a beloved member of KISS (he's my favorite member as well) and when he departed his role, the role should have been retired rather than kept alive with a new cast member (Tommy).

I agree with that stance, but P&G chose to keep the character of the Spaceman alive, so that's on them, not on Tommy.
LordThurisaz

Post by LordThurisaz »

alanrosembung wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:54 pm
That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever read on here.

The solos on SB are literally snippets of well known Ace solos from old KISS songs. One after the other. You’re listening to a new song and it’s jarring when you hear the solo to Parasite being played.

Show me a Van Halen song where EVH is literally playing a bunch of someone’s existing solo parts one after the other.

And even then, your comparison is inane because EVH isnt joining Clapton’s band and playing them on albums of new material.

A better example would be if Bruce joined KISS and all his solos on Asylum were Ace’s 70s solos cut and pasted together on every song.

Or Tommy Bolin joining Deep Purple and every song being jumbled up Blackmore solos.
Yeah, sure thing. Saying that is the dumbest thing you've ever read on here is as far as I'm reading. Enjoy the ignore list.