Would you be bothered if a member of Kiss came out as being gay?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
In the Suds
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: Would you be bothered if a member of Kiss came out as being gay?

Post by In the Suds »

Of course not.
JJ Smalling II
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by JJ Smalling II »

Nope.
Mackemkiss
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Mackemkiss »

I'd be pleased - would suggest a level of honesty that's rarely apparent in the band
Vandelay Industries

Post by Vandelay Industries »

Never again could I appreciate the majesty of Let's Put the X In Sex.
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TwistedTaste »

Everyone and their brother knows at least 3/4 of the band go both ways or more
Kissoff
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Kissoff »

No.
Eddie Van Hazel

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

No.
gottaRockRockRawk
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by gottaRockRockRawk »

Nope
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

Not an issue for me. Wouldn't have been in 1980 when I was 13 either.
LordThurisaz
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by LordThurisaz »

Who gives a fuck? I don't care one way or another.
Purple70rt
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Purple70rt »

where did ace say he was a fruit?
So Cruel
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by So Cruel »

I really wouldn’t care, but it would be a little awkward hearing Paul sing “you want to land, a six foot, hot look, All American Man, a man!”
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

I’ll answer this honestly. Firstly, I don’t really care about anyone other than the original 4. So definitely outside the original 4 it wouldn’t bother me.

Now if one of the original 4 suddenly decided they were gay, I suppose yes I would feel a bit disappointed. They were my heroes and I looked up to them in a certain way since I was a child. I have people I love and admire that are gay, and it hasn’t bothered me at all when they came out, but if Paul suddenly said he was gay, it would possibly change they way I interpreted all his old classic songs. I relate to those songs and they were the soundtrack to my life. So of course it’s possible that there would be some natural disappointment. I like KISS being these larger than life sex gods that were crazy about women. I relate to that. I like KISS being KISS.

There’s a reason I like these kinds of bands and not bland, serious bands like U2. The lyrics and the whole macho thing are part of the fun. I love Coverdale and his raunchy lyrics. So yes, I’d feel a bit disappointed if Old Cov were suddenly to come out.

I love Freddie Mercury, but I’m just not really a huge Queen fan, so hard to remember how I felt when he came out. But as I wasn’t a mega fan, it wouldn’t have bothered me.

Stephen Fry is one of my heroes and I absolutely love him to bits. But he never sung songs like Ladies Room, so, that’s the difference. I love KISS the way they are, the way they were as I was growing up.

I’m sure most will understand and respect my honesty in answering the way I have. I’m sure I haven’t articulated my points as well as I’d like, but please don’t attack me just for the fun of it. I 100% support anyone who is gay or is coming out. The world would be a much better place if everyone were honest and could live life they way they choose. Amen.
Den Dennis
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Den Dennis »

Would they start wearing frilly pink blouses?
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

Den Dennis wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:30 pm Would they start wearing frilly pink blouses?
41Mets

Post by 41Mets »

They can pull the trigger on their Love Gun however they want, don't care. I am in it for the music and entertainment more than anything else.

I do not care for one of the former band members as a person and have some reservations about others as people, but it would have absolutely nothing to do with their sexual choices at all. That is their business, does not affect the music, etc. to me and no one is any less of a person based on such choices, those who see them as lesser are the ones with the real issues. I am a Mets fan and people used to jump all over a rumor that Mike Piazza was gay as if that mattered. I didn't care what he did off the field, just on it.
Last edited by 41Mets on Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Under The Rose wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:23 pm I’ll answer this honestly. Firstly, I don’t really care about anyone other than the original 4. So definitely outside the original 4 it wouldn’t bother me.

Now if one of the original 4 suddenly decided they were gay, I suppose yes I would feel a bit disappointed. They were my heroes and I looked up to them in a certain way since I was a child. I have people I love and admire that are gay, and it hasn’t bothered me at all when they came out, but if Paul suddenly said he was gay, it would possibly change they way I interpreted all his old classic songs. I relate to those songs and they were the soundtrack to my life. So of course it’s possible that there would be some natural disappointment. I like KISS being these larger than life sex gods that were crazy about women. I relate to that. I like KISS being KISS.

There’s a reason I like these kinds of bands and not bland, serious bands like U2. The lyrics and the whole macho thing are part of the fun. I love Coverdale and his raunchy lyrics. So yes, I’d feel a bit disappointed if Old Cov were suddenly to come out.

I love Freddie Mercury, but I’m just not really a huge Queen fan, so hard to remember how I felt when he came out. But as I wasn’t a mega fan, it wouldn’t have bothered me.

Stephen Fry is one of my heroes and I absolutely love him to bits. But he never sung songs like Ladies Room, so, that’s the difference. I love KISS the way they are, the way they were as I was growing up.

I’m sure most will understand and respect my honesty in answering the way I have. I’m sure I haven’t articulated my points as well as I’d like, but please don’t attack me just for the fun of it. I 100% support anyone who is gay or is coming out. The world would be a much better place if everyone were honest and could live life they way they choose. Amen.
It doesn't have to change your interpretation of the songs. You can still think about Uh All Night when it comes to women if Paul came out. Truth be told, many songs were written from different perspectives than maybe the listener thought.
Under The Rose

Post by Under The Rose »

Grand Classic wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:55 pm
Under The Rose wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:23 pm I’ll answer this honestly. Firstly, I don’t really care about anyone other than the original 4. So definitely outside the original 4 it wouldn’t bother me.

It doesn't have to change your interpretation of the songs. You can still think about Uh All Night when it comes to women if Paul came out. Truth be told, many songs were written from different perspectives than maybe the listener thought.
I did say “classic songs” :D
Four-Who-Are-One
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Four-Who-Are-One »

Paul has always been one degree of separation from the Village People - who were my second-favourite band as a kid!
steve

Post by steve »

Total non issue. At times I wish I didn't know as much about the band members as people as I do, but their private lives don't affect my enjoyment of the music.
FlamingRuth

Post by FlamingRuth »

It wouldn’t make any difference to me now and I don’t think it would have mattered when I was a kid either . I always thought the androgyny was cool— Ace in his silver dress, Paul with the sparkly pants and roses.
Loved it then and I love it now. ❤️
Ack66
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Ack66 »

It wouldn’t bother me in the slightest. There’s a picture of Ace kissing some old man back in the day. Still love the guy s as Ned think no less of him. It’s his business.
ypke

Post by ypke »

No. Wouldn't bother me at all.
rwgriffith
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by rwgriffith »

Would not bother me at all...
Frilly Pink
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Frilly Pink »

Den Dennis wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:30 pm Would they start wearing frilly pink blouses?
They could sign with Frilly Pink Records
Destroyer72

Post by Destroyer72 »

Judas Priest is one of my very favorite bands. I don't care what Rob Halford is gay or not. He's always put Priest first and foremost and the music. He doesn't wave it around in your face. I don't even think about it honestly.

I really wish people would just go about their lives and treat each other with respect. And there's plenty of disrespect on BOTH sides. I'm sick of the victimhood mentality.
DaveinSpain
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by DaveinSpain »

Ace of Bass wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:23 pm Bothered? No. Confused/surprised? Absolutely.
I think this is my answer as well. I don't care who sleeps with who. It's none of my business. But 100% I'd be surprised maybe even shocked because KISS puts out this imagine of womanizing. But it wouldn't make me not listen or whatever. I'd still love KISS.
Shawn71
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Shawn71 »

No. Weird thing to ask.
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

Destroyer72 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:14 pm Judas Priest is one of my very favorite bands. I don't care what Rob Halford is gay or not. He's always put Priest first and foremost and the music. He doesn't wave it around in your face. I don't even think about it honestly.

I really wish people would just go about their lives and treat each other with respect. And there's plenty of disrespect on BOTH sides. I'm sick of the victimhood mentality.
Rob Halford only officially came out some time in the 90s from memory, and it's one of the times I was proudest of the rock community - the general reaction was a shrug of the shoulders "Yeah...we'd already figured...when's the new album coming out?" I suppose it always would be more difficult for people of that generation to come out as they'll still clearly remember when a lot less people would have been cool with it.

That being said, it shouldn't have really come as a surprise to anyone...the song Raw Deal from Sin After Sin is explicitly about a visit to a gay bar on Fire Island and hooking up there. Some of the lyrics are literally impossible to interpret in any other way: "The true free expression I demand is human rights. Right?" ending with him chanting "Love knoweth no laws" building up to a scream.

And that was on their third album from like 1977!
Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? »

Fucking hell.
Last edited by Where's Drago? on Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
sabresaxon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by sabresaxon »

Plot twist: they come out as bald.
Peacebrother
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Peacebrother »

Of course not.
Tail of a hurricane

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

No. Ace has admitted in the past jumping both sides, plus Peter spoke of Ace giving him a BJ in his book. I think Peter may have too though, but wont admit it. Its their buisness though.

Vinnie is obviously a transexual, but who cares. Im just happy they are still around. Thats more important.
banks

Post by banks »

Why is there a thread about this, when obviously all of them, even if some of them enjoy both, prefer ladies to gentlemen? So none of them are exactly gay.

Of course, if all of them were gay, it wouldn't make any damn difference. When someone sings about shagging a lady, it's a song. Whether the singer of the song actually does shag ladies (or anyone, for that matter) or not is none of my business.
Last edited by banks on Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pete2174

Post by Pete2174 »

No.
curryleaf
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by curryleaf »

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I always thought Paul was gay, figured Ace might be and also thought Vinnie was - makes precisely no difference to me either way.
Bing80
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Bing80 »

Not in the slightest. In fact always had a bit of a man-crush on 70s Ace in his make-up! What bothers me is that they came out as not particularly nice human beings.
andykiss4ever
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by andykiss4ever »

I would not be bothered.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

No, I would not be bothered. You can love a woman or a man, more power to you. (But if you hate people, I'm gonna talk back.)
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

Shawn71 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:20 pm No. Weird thing to ask.
I don't think so. It's legitimate to discuss attitudes, in a very macho business.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

So Cruel wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:19 pm I really wouldn’t care, but it would be a little awkward hearing Paul sing “you want to land, a six foot, hot look, All American Man, a man!”
Why do you assume he's addressing a woman in the song?
Tito

Post by Tito »

The whole concept of being bothered by someone else's personal business is idiotic.
Marc Aze
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Marc Aze »

Nope.
neiltracy00
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by neiltracy00 »

Frilly Pink wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:02 pm Looks like we've all become woke in the past few years 👍 I'm sure if that question was asked in 1980 it would be a different story. Quite interesting how attitudes change really
Not really, if someone did, this post would be world war 3 all against someone else who`s opinion would be different.
Frilly Pink
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Frilly Pink »

The whole (hole?) gay/straight thing seems daft to me anyway. Whether you give it to a woman or a man in the anus, a poop chute's a poop chute 🤔
gene therapist

Post by gene therapist »

Would I be shocked to see pictorial evidence of Paul with the mysterious Australian male escort?

No.
The doctor
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by The doctor »

No.
TwistedTaste
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by TwistedTaste »

jannep17 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:36 am
So Cruel wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:19 pm I really wouldn’t care, but it would be a little awkward hearing Paul sing “you want to land, a six foot, hot look, All American Man, a man!”
Why do you assume he's addressing a woman in the song?
Sean Delaney - a Gay guy - wrote AAM & RR
Two Headed Dog
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Two Headed Dog »

Frilly Pink? That's that new label just for gays, is it?
Frilly Pink
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Frilly Pink »

Two Headed Dog wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:31 am Frilly Pink? That's that new label just for gays, is it?
Yes sir 😅