With A&E documentary, is there really a need for a bio pic?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

With A&E documentary, is there really a need for a bio pic?

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

If there is a 4-hour documentary coming out, do they REALLY need to do a bio pic as well? I mean what can the bio pic tell us that the books and the A&E doc won't cover--unless there is a whole new level of Peter, Ace and Vinnie bashing we don't know about.
His Majesty
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Re: With A&E documentary, is there really a need for a bio pic?

Post by His Majesty »

It's not about the story for me. It's about how well the actors can pull it off. For that, I am VERY interested to see how this pans out.
OHKISSFAN
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by OHKISSFAN »

Answer to your question:

YES!
Marty Scurll
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Marty Scurll »

I think it's all about jumping on the Netflix bio pic bandwagon. They saw what it did for the crue and now they want a piece of it so that they can merge EOTR into a stadium tour with some other big names.
OrigialEraFan
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by OrigialEraFan »

They would love to have that BioPic roll out just in time for a 50th anniversary tour.
kiss-1976
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kiss-1976 »

With the touring band winding down the biopic will be a perfect opportunity to set up the next phase of their evolution and income stream. Keeps them in the public eye and keeps the interest going.
KingOfHearts89
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

If their is money to be made then of course it's needed. I also think it's gonna be a couple more years before it comes out, and will likely be one aspect of the celebration (ie products for the KISS army to buy) of the 50th anniversary of KISS.
atowntommy
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by atowntommy »

KingOfHearts89 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:46 pm If their is money to be made then of course it's needed. I also think it's gonna be a couple more years before it comes out, and will likely be one aspect of the celebration (ie products for the KISS army to buy) of the 50th anniversary of KISS.
I came here to say this as well.
TwistedTaste
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by TwistedTaste »

Nope. The bio pics always come off 1/2 assed and hokey.
vantheman77
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by vantheman77 »

I don't see the need for a biopic and I never like those considering how they're untruthful.
sabresaxon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by sabresaxon »

There’s no need for a biopic but G&P want the status.
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wichita77 »

Absolutely. If there was ever a story that deserved a biopic, I think it is this one. I just hope it gets done with the budget, talent and quality it deserves.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:08 pm If there is a 4-hour documentary coming out, do they REALLY need to do a bio pic as well? I mean what can the bio pic tell us that the books and the A&E doc won't cover--unless there is a whole new level of Peter, Ace and Vinnie bashing we don't know about.
Need? No. But I am sure Paul and Gene want the general public to crazy over a KISS biopic like the ones for Queen and Elton John.
GACatmandu
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by GACatmandu »

My question is What can they say that they haven't already said or that we don't already know? Also, with all of it being from Gene and Paul's perspective what will they say that won't be a lie anyway?
70skid

Post by 70skid »

If there is money to be made and Paul has full editorial control (like the A&E Docu)……they will do it.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

I think it's a great story and *could* be made into a worthwhile movie. Whether it *will* be good is another question.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

GACatmandu wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:42 pm My question is What can they say that they haven't already said or that we don't already know? Also, with all of it being from Gene and Paul's perspective what will they say that won't be a lie anyway?
Seriously. Supposedly all four members gave their full stories in their respective books. So what new info is there to be learned, especially if P&G have full creative control over the project?

I can see this now. The biopic will get made, something will piss Ace and/or Peter off, and there will be a whole new round of verbal mudslinging going on. Seriously, these are (supposedly) four grown men. Why they continue to feel the need to take verbal potshots at each other at this point in their lives like little school kids is beyond comprehension.
That 70s Guy

Post by That 70s Guy »

no
sicksickphil

Post by sicksickphil »

What if they recreate old stage shows ? It could be very cool
Mr. Kiss

Post by Mr. Kiss »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:08 pm If there is a 4-hour documentary coming out, do they REALLY need to do a bio pic as well? I mean what can the bio pic tell us that the books and the A&E doc won't cover--unless there is a whole new level of Peter, Ace and Vinnie bashing we don't know about.

Spot-on Sergeant--- I couldn't agree more! The thought of yet another trend-hopping "biopic" is embarrassing. :idea: ... :oops:
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

sicksickphil wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:32 am What if they recreate old stage shows ? It could be very cool
Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the documentary, weren't they actively soliciting fans to submit old video footage for use in the project? I mean, I don't know how much old footage they actually have, but I thought that was unusual to be asking fans to submit their old footage and photos for the project, probably in exchange for a credit mention at the end of the documentary.
Mr. Kiss

Post by Mr. Kiss »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:57 pm
sicksickphil wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:32 am What if they recreate old stage shows ? It could be very cool
Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the documentary, weren't they actively soliciting fans to submit old video footage for use in the project? I mean, I don't know how much old footage they actually have, but I thought that was unusual to be asking fans to submit their old footage and photos for the project, probably in exchange for a credit mention at the end of the documentary.

I think that was for the "movie" that was shelved a few years ago with a U.K. director, Adam... something. :P

I believe there was a thread on here about it. :?:
KISSFACE

Post by KISSFACE »

I hope the concert scenes are amazing.
strutter78
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by strutter78 »

No. We are very fortunate to have all these Kiss videos and docs we’ve had for decades. Going back to the VHS days and Exposed in particular. Then the 90’s gave us Xtreme closeup, KMA, etc. VH-1 When Kiss Ruled The World is really good. There’s plenty of great Kiss docs including a multi dvd set..Kissology. The biopics and videos today are mostly embarrassing and sensationalized to a ridiculous point.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

OHKISSFAN wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:16 pm Answer to your question:

YES!
Curious: Why yes? You believe there is new material to be hashed out?
Tito

Post by Tito »

Why would anyone expect a biopic to be about new discoveries?
lord71

Post by lord71 »

apples and oranges
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

lord71 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:55 am
apples and oranges
How so? Presumably same creative input from G&P with limited to no participation from A&P.
criss75
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by criss75 »

Of course! From 1970 up to the commercial break thru with Alive and Destroyer.
KissBrooklyn
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by KissBrooklyn »

Please no biopic! They are always awful and stretch the truth beyond belief.
Dr Borgo
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Dr Borgo »

Much like their live concerts, I figure the biopic will attract a lot of casuals. I’m not a huge Crew fan but I watched their biopic.
kwf484
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by kwf484 »

No interest in contrived BS. This is just more bandwagon jumping. They have no ideas of their own...
actjac129
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by actjac129 »

I think it could be interesting if they based it on the book "Nothin' to Lose". From their youthful beginnings, to their breakthrough with "Alive!"

Then, you can always have a sequel too. Call it "Larger than Life" (76-80)
Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? »

Mr. Kiss wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:21 pm

I think that was for the "movie" that was shelved a few years ago with a U.K. director, Adam... something. :P

Alan Parker.

Alan told me he'd been a card carrying member of the KISS Army since he was 14, but the bullshit over the film left him not even wanting to wear their shirt.

The budget for that movie was set to be $2million and the 'front end' money was stumped up by unnamed London-based investors. They spent money and time getting archive footage and filming interviews and everything else that goes into doing a movie, but then KISS' legal people left the investors less than impressed with the way they did business, so the investors refused to fund the 'back end' of the production, KISS refused to do anything with it, and the movie was shelved. Apparently, there was an initial 2 hours 30 minutes produced in a first cut when the whole thing fell apart at the end.
Mr. Kiss

Post by Mr. Kiss »

Where's Drago? wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:13 pm
Mr. Kiss wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:21 pm

Alan Parker.

Alan told me he'd been a card carrying member of the KISS Army since he was 14, but the bullshit over the film left him not even wanting to wear their shirt.

The budget for that movie was set to be $2million and the 'front end' money was stumped up by unnamed London-based investors. They spent money and time getting archive footage and filming interviews and everything else that goes into doing a movie, but then KISS' legal people left the investors less than impressed with the way they did business, so the investors refused to fund the 'back end' of the production, KISS refused to do anything with it, and the movie was shelved. Apparently, there was an initial 2 hours 30 minutes produced in a first cut when the whole thing fell apart at the end.

That's it Drago. Thanks for the name correction and the scoop behind the aborted doc... much appreciated. 8)
Mr. Kiss

Post by Mr. Kiss »

KissBrooklyn wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:49 am Please no biopic! They are always awful and stretch the truth beyond belief.

I agree. 8)
cowboytoast
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by cowboytoast »

I can only hope that it's as stellar as the VH1 Def Leppard biopic -

If they make it - it needs to be made in a fashion where it's timeless - no current special effects or trendy edits that will look silly in 10 years-

That probably means they shouldn't be involved at all