David lee roth

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
dat577
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

David lee roth

Post by dat577 »

Is he not opening now for the us tour? What happened/ who’s opening
Thayerscomet
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Re: David lee roth

Post by Thayerscomet »

He is listed on 3 dates.David probably had a stipulation in his contract called pay or play .This is a Hollywood term meaning the performer is paid whether or not he or she plays and with the kiss dates that were cancelled or postponed David was probably paid out for the dates hie is no longer on
nibbler1982
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by nibbler1982 »

Thayerscomet wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:09 pm He is listed on 3 dates.David probably had a stipulation in his contract called pay or play .This is a Hollywood term meaning the performer is paid whether or not he or she plays and with the kiss dates that were cancelled or postponed David was probably paid out for the dates hie is no longer on
I HIGHLY doubt David would have a stipulation even remotely resembling a pay or play guarantee.

Maybe...MAYBE...if he was getting paid an extremely nominal amount. Much less than his draw that is.
Thayerscomet
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Thayerscomet »

Hi Nibs ..Frehleys comet had one when they opened for maiden in 1988 John Reagan told me personally.. its pretty standard for big names or people who have been around awhile
mot$$33
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by mot$$33 »

Pay to Play is no big deal if the “pay” part is managed as low as possible by the headliner.
ftjr1974
Banned
Banned

Post by ftjr1974 »

I still say fuck DLR. I like him, don't get me wrong. But older bands like Kiss need to give younger bands a chance to get exposure. Greta Van Fleet, The Struts, Goodbye June, Rival Sons, The Treatment (who has opened for Kiss before), Pistol Day Parade, Dirty Honey and The Raven Age are all younger hungry bands. Giving these groups an opening spot for a tour that is generating attendance like EOTR has so far could help put these bands over the top with the exposure they'd get.
Bruce
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Bruce »

Dave's voice is as shot as Stanley's, thats why he's allowed to open, along with name recognition. A young 'hungry' band isn't an available option. I wish it were, it would be great to see, but Paul can't be seen following up acts that make him look bad.
TwistedTaste
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by TwistedTaste »

ftjr1974 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:53 pm I still say fuck DLR. I like him, don't get me wrong. But older bands like Kiss need to give younger bands a chance to get exposure. Greta Van Fleet, The Struts, Goodbye June, Rival Sons, The Treatment (who has opened for Kiss before), Pistol Day Parade, Dirty Honey and The Raven Age are all younger hungry bands. Giving these groups an opening spot for a tour that is generating attendance like EOTR has so far could help put these bands over the top with the exposure they'd get.
The bands would all make Kiss look silly, never happen
ImAPlumber
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by ImAPlumber »

I listened to Dave on Joe Rogan's podcast a couple weeks back ... man that dude had Rogan (of all people!) going "How high are you?!" He seemed whacked out. And not in a good way. I know Dave's brain works on a different frequency than the rest of us, but after a while it was off-putting. Didn't finish the episode.
muddfoot
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by muddfoot »

Kiss can’t have energetic openers anymore

GVF….they’d be great but Kiss would have trouble following that
Philly Cheese
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Philly Cheese »

muddfoot wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:37 pm Kiss can’t have energetic openers anymore

That dude's voice is at its peak and I find him unlistenable. Screech-fest.

Not thanks.
Philly Cheese

Post by Philly Cheese »

muddfoot wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:37 pm Kiss can’t have energetic openers anymore

That dude's voice is at its peak and I find him unlistenable. Screech-fest.

No thanks.
Wiped Out 78

Post by Wiped Out 78 »

ftjr1974 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:53 pm But older bands like Kiss need to give younger bands a chance to get exposure.
They do.

It's called "Pay to Play".
rwgriffith
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by rwgriffith »

I played in a band that did "okay" in my area locally in the early 2000 era and we opened for a couple of bands who did decent in clubs.

Nashville Pussy told us they were offered the Skid Row slot for the farewell slot for the farewell tour, but they would have to pay $2,000 per night! Damn!!
Ack66
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Ack66 »

Well damn. I was looking forward to seeing Dave in Lafayette in October.
nibbler1982

Post by nibbler1982 »

Thayerscomet wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:47 pm Hi Nibs ..Frehleys comet had one when they opened for maiden in 1988 John Reagan told me personally.. its pretty standard for big names or people who have been around awhile
Hi Thayers..

Refer to this part in my last comment.

“Maybe...MAYBE...if he was getting paid an extremely nominal amount.”

I fully believe Frehley’s Comet had one.

Even in a thousand alternate universes DLR is never on Comet level.
Going Blind
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Going Blind »

In that Gene documentary, Gene still belives there is no band ever like Kiss.
No way they are going to pass the baton/give their blessing to a younger band. Gene even said at one point, that the Foo Fighters could never be a legendary band, and in the next sentence he says they are one of his favorites bands. Gene Talking out of both sides of his mouth. LOL!!!
KISSTRONAUT
Location: The Kingdom of the Spiders, The Empire of the Ants.

Post by KISSTRONAUT »

ImAPlumber wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:50 pm I listened to Dave on Joe Rogan's podcast a couple weeks back ... man that dude had Rogan (of all people!) going "How high are you?!" He seemed whacked out. And not in a good way. I know Dave's brain works on a different frequency than the rest of us, but after a while it was off-putting. Didn't finish the episode.
The last 3 minutes of that interview were worth the Dave antics.
Lung Butter
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Lung Butter »

Lung Butter
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Lung Butter »

KingOfHearts89
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

ftjr1974 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:53 pm I still say fuck DLR. I like him, don't get me wrong. But older bands like Kiss need to give younger bands a chance to get exposure. Greta Van Fleet, The Struts, Goodbye June, Rival Sons, The Treatment (who has opened for Kiss before), Pistol Day Parade, Dirty Honey and The Raven Age are all younger hungry bands. Giving these groups an opening spot for a tour that is generating attendance like EOTR has so far could help put these bands over the top with the exposure they'd get.
When The Dives opened for KISS in 2017, the crowd wanted them off after the second song. Now I know that maybe 50 people in the arena knew about them (compared to the bands mentioned above) but I think sticking with an old rocker is probably a good thing.
ftjr1974
Banned
Banned

Post by ftjr1974 »

KingOfHearts89 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:19 am
When The Dives opened for KISS in 2017, the crowd wanted them off after the second song. Now I know that maybe 50 people in the arena knew about them (compared to the bands mentioned above) but I think sticking with an old rocker is probably a good thing.
Isn't the dives Paul's kids band?
KingOfHearts89
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

ftjr1974 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:07 am
KingOfHearts89 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:19 am
Isn't the dives Paul's kids band?
Well was, before he left the band :lol:
Anomaly

Post by Anomaly »

Only way Raven Age can get on a bill is if papa Steve Harris is headlining it. No, thank you.
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

I don't like any of those younger bands.
His Majesty

Post by His Majesty »

rwgriffith wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:45 pm
Nashville Pussy told us they were offered the Skid Row slot for the farewell slot for the farewell tour, but they would have to pay $2,000 per night! Damn!!
That is a shame. That band would have been WILD.
nibbler1982

Post by nibbler1982 »

I really never heard of almost all of those bands except Greta Van Fleet...and I know about them is that they’re Led Zeppelin rip-offs (from what I’ve read that is).

While certainly not in the upper stratosphere, it appears they’ve already arrived. I don’t believe they need any help with their draw.

Greta Van Fleet
Forest Hills Stadium
Forest Hills, N.Y.
May 25, 2019
$630,302

I absolute LOVE Diamond David and I hope every KISS show I see in the next 5 years has him opening. The show in Allentown was such a treat.
D5701693-B5CF-402D-AC5B-306E20FDA98F.jpeg
Not to mention the scallops at The Hamilton across the street were absolutely exquisite.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ftjr1974
Banned
Banned

Post by ftjr1974 »

nibbler1982 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:39 pm
I really never heard of almost all of those bands except Greta Van Fleet...and I know about them is that they’re Led Zeppelin rip-offs (from what I’ve read that is).

While certainly not in the upper stratosphere, it appears they’ve already arrived. I don’t believe they need any help with their draw.

Greta Van Fleet
Forest Hills Stadium
Forest Hills, N.Y.
May 25, 2019
$630,302

I absolute LOVE Diamond David and I hope every KISS show I see in the next 5 years has him opening. The show in Allentown was such a treat.
Not to mention the scallops at The Hamilton across the street were absolutely exquisite.
GVF definitely have heavy Zeppelin influence in their music. I think the singer sounds more like a young Geddy Lee than Robert Plant. Their latest record sounds like they are starting to develop their own sound. Check out those other bands. We need to support these young bands. You might be surprised at how good they are (my opinion anyways).
ftjr1974
Banned
Banned

Post by ftjr1974 »

Greta Van Fleet
Forest Hills Stadium
Forest Hills, N.Y.
May 25, 2019
$630,302

GVF definitely have heavy Zeppelin influence in their music. I think the singer sounds more like a young Geddy Lee than Robert Plant. Their latest record sounds like they are starting to develop their own sound. Check out those other bands. We need to support these young bands. You might be surprised at how good they are (my opinion anyways).
TwistedTaste
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by TwistedTaste »

nibbler1982 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:39 pmNot to mention the scallops at The Hamilton across the street were absolutely exquisite.
Those go good with a side of Soul Station & a nice glass of Pinot Grigio
ACESTATION

Post by ACESTATION »

Lung Butter wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:27 am
LOL.

David Lee Roth and actor Gary Busey could have an interesting conversaion. :lol:
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

Lofton23rdSt wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:08 pm I don't like any of those younger bands.
Me neither. Why are young people playing old people's music? They should go into techno or something.
aceeg

Post by aceeg »

I hope so that was a good combo.
EasyCatMan
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by EasyCatMan »

Thayerscomet wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:47 pm Hi Nibs ..Frehleys comet had one when they opened for maiden in 1988 John Reagan told me personally.. its pretty standard for big names or people who have been around awhile

Nope, you've got it wrong. Frehley's Comet had to bail on that tour. Second Sighting wasn't selling at all. Megaforce wouldn't give them extra tour support money and with so many Maiden dates getting cancelled and them not getting a dime, they had to bail.

As John Regan pointed out in this interview but there's been many other stories on it:

Iron Maiden left a bad taste, because they were constantly canceling their shows, and the way that Ace‘s alleged business people crafted the contract, we did NOT get paid when they canceled! That led us to having to pull out of that tour. It was very unfortunate, and Ace took the brunt of the blame, although he and we were ready, willing and able to play every show.”

https://sleazeroxx.com/bassist-john-reg ... n-in-1988/

and Tod also backs that up. And yes, I know there's a typo in there. It should say 1988 not 1998

Sleaze Roxx: So when did things begin to go south with Frehley's Comet?

Tod Howarth: We ran out of money on the Iron Maiden tour. We were broke. We had to go home to reassess what we were going to do next. Around the middle of 1998 (1988 really), it was brought to my attention that I wouldn't be on the album and that Ace would be writing and singing all the songs.

There's several things wrong with that statement which I won't get into here. In the music industry, you make money from publishing, merchandising and touring if you're in a big enough band. Well, if I don't have any of those three, I don't have an income. How am I supposed to survive? I have heard this millions of times - "Oh, Ace fired Tod." Listen, Ace didn't fire Tod - Tod quit! There was no future for me there so I had to bow out. So after many attempts, I secured a solo deal though Simmons Records, oddly enough. It was right as the grunge thing was coming along so I got my ass kicked there. I was dropped and here comes Nirvana! [laughs]

https://www.antimusic.com/news/16/May/t ... omet.shtml

Tod on $Immons Records. Gene could sure "pick em"
nibbler1982

Post by nibbler1982 »

EasyCatMan wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:33 am

Nope, you've got it wrong. Frehley's Comet had to bail on that tour. Second Sighting wasn't selling at all. Megaforce wouldn't give them extra tour support money and with so many Maiden dates getting cancelled and them not getting a dime, they had to bail.

As John Regan pointed out in this interview but there's been many other stories on it:

Iron Maiden left a bad taste, because they were constantly canceling their shows, and the way that Ace‘s alleged business people crafted the contract, we did NOT get paid when they canceled! That led us to having to pull out of that tour. It was very unfortunate, and Ace took the brunt of the blame, although he and we were ready, willing and able to play every show.”

https://sleazeroxx.com/bassist-john-reg ... n-in-1988/

and Tod also backs that up. And yes, I know there's a typo in there. It should say 1988 not 1998

Sleaze Roxx: So when did things begin to go south with Frehley's Comet?

Tod Howarth: We ran out of money on the Iron Maiden tour. We were broke. We had to go home to reassess what we were going to do next. Around the middle of 1998 (1988 really), it was brought to my attention that I wouldn't be on the album and that Ace would be writing and singing all the songs.

There's several things wrong with that statement which I won't get into here. In the music industry, you make money from publishing, merchandising and touring if you're in a big enough band. Well, if I don't have any of those three, I don't have an income. How am I supposed to survive? I have heard this millions of times - "Oh, Ace fired Tod." Listen, Ace didn't fire Tod - Tod quit! There was no future for me there so I had to bow out. So after many attempts, I secured a solo deal though Simmons Records, oddly enough. It was right as the grunge thing was coming along so I got my ass kicked there. I was dropped and here comes Nirvana! [laughs]

https://www.antimusic.com/news/16/May/t ... omet.shtml

Tod on $Immons Records. Gene could sure "pick em"
Exquisite due diligence Brother Cat.

It’s really a shame Ace has been plagued trying to turn a dollar right from the start. He had to pull the plug on the Alice Cooper tour for the same reason. Unfortunately for him things have only gotten worse in recent years.

Like it’s any wonder he’s been literally begging for his old job back for years.
scottbassist
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by scottbassist »

Ticketmaster still lists Roth as the opener for Tulsa (Oct. 2).
ManOf1000Faces
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by ManOf1000Faces »

Although the DLR show was like a retirement home performance, I still enjoyed it way more than some semi-unknown band with a light back catalog.
LordThurisaz

Post by LordThurisaz »

Lofton23rdSt wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:08 pm I don't like any of those younger bands.
Neither do I. The retro fetishist hipster aesthetic does jack shit for me. It's rather boring. I'd rather a band like Black Veil Brides, of which I know Andy is a pretty big KISS fan.
LordThurisaz

Post by LordThurisaz »

ftjr1974 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:20 pm

Greta Van Fleet
Forest Hills Stadium
Forest Hills, N.Y.
May 25, 2019
$630,302

Dull, retro fetishism is not my idea of what a good band is, especially when their 1.75 influences is so obvious that it begs the question: "Why am I not just listening to their 1.75 influences instead of this tripe?"
Christmas
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Christmas »

And many have no interest in seeing those bands.

When Treatment opened, the place was maybe 5% full.
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

KISS’ 2021 audience dont care about new music. They’re not going to see some cool young band and rush out and buy the album. They’re not 25 anymore.

A vintage act like Roth, or Cheap Trick, or Whitesnake etc, will sell tickets. It pushes people on the fence into buying a ticket.

A band they’ve never heard of doesn’t. All comes down to dollars and cents for the KISS co.

I believe the warmup acts were pay to play on the 96-97 tour.
KF73
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by KF73 »

I would rather see Garibaldi again than DLR. Last good DLR performance I saw was the Skyscraper Tour in '88.

I wouldn't mind seeing a good opener, but at this point we are there to see Kiss. In fact, would actually prefer no opener at all and get out of there a little earlier.
Where's Drago?

Post by Where's Drago? »

KF73 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:07 am In fact, would actually prefer no opener at all and get out of there a little earlier.
Ha, this!

I see The Dives were mentioned above. I enjoyed them. I also enjoyed Garibaldi on the following tour.

But yeah, with me now entering my 50s, I'm done with hanging around too long. Let KISS come on at 7pm and off by 9pm so I can get home earlier.
AceyAintInCharge
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by AceyAintInCharge »

alanrosembung wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:30 am KISS’ 2021 audience dont care about new music. They’re not going to see some cool young band and rush out and buy the album. They’re not 25 anymore.

A vintage act like Roth, or Cheap Trick, or Whitesnake etc, will sell tickets. It pushes people on the fence into buying a ticket.

A band they’ve never heard of doesn’t. All comes down to dollars and cents for the KISS co.

Zero chance STP, AIC or 311 played to play. They were all at career peak and wildly popular at the time. My opinion anyway.
Dr Borgo
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Dr Borgo »

I wouldn’t mind seeing a good newer band open, even if I had never heard of them. However, KISS is a nostalgia act, so it makes sense to round out the bill with another nostalgia act. Especially someone like DLR who’s voice sucks now just like Paul’s.
Dr Borgo
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Dr Borgo »

I wouldn’t mind seeing a good newer band open, even if I had never heard of them. However, KISS is a nostalgia act, so it makes sense to round out the bill with another nostalgia act. Especially someone like DLR who’s voice sucks now just like Paul’s.
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

alanrosembung wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:30 am KISS’ 2021 audience dont care about new music. They’re not going to see some cool young band and rush out and buy the album. They’re not 25 anymore.

Sadly, you're completely right. A large proportion of 50+ year olds will opine that there are no up and coming new bands when the truth is they've just stopped seeking them out and would prefer to inhabit I-know-what-I-like territory from here on in.

It would be a monumental waste of money for a young band to pay a buy-on for a Kiss tour. The vast majority of the crowd would be trawling the merch stands or in the bar while they were playing, and those that did catch them would be firmly of the opinion that new=shit.
LordThurisaz

Post by LordThurisaz »

Dr Borgo wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:04 am I wouldn’t mind seeing a good newer band open, even if I had never heard of them.
The problem is most newer bands barely have a personality or identity of their own, and if you're like me, you listen and wonder why you aren't just listening to their far too obvious musical influence.
LordThurisaz

Post by LordThurisaz »

Glasgow Kiss wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:39 am Sadly, you're completely right. A large proportion of 50+ year olds will opine that there are no up and coming new bands when the truth is they've just stopped seeking them out and would prefer to inhabit I-know-what-I-like territory from here on in.

It would be a monumental waste of money for a young band to pay a buy-on for a Kiss tour. The vast majority of the crowd would be trawling the merch stands or in the bar while they were playing, and those that did catch them would be firmly of the opinion that new=shit.
Then, my suggestion to these new bands is to actually be worth seeing live, or listening to at all, for that matter. The retro fetishism that gets passed off by these hipster cosplayers as "rock" is abysmal. If I wanted to listen to a band so obviously influenced by a 70s band that they even steal their musical ideas (such as modulating from one key in the verse to this key for the chorus, etc), then chances are, I'm going to turn the shit off and move on. In fact, the 50+ are the ones who give the Greta Van Susteren's of the world a pass because rock is dead and people refuse to accept it. Kingdom Come didn't get away with being a Led Zeppelin clone, because rock was far from dead. These clowns apparently do, but apparently, rock isn't dead.

Before we tout the attendance numbers, a lot of people go and see awful "music artists" dance and monotonously drone on to a backing track, or press buttons in large numbers. It doesn't change the fact that just because a lot of people accept something -- likely because the alternatives are worse -- doesn't mean that band is good. It simply means that band is benefiting from a bar lowered so much that even dreck like Greta Van Susteren is touted as "great."

Post Malone has stated he attempted to do rock music, but found he could actually make something of himself in rap. Hey though, rock ain't dead, folks...

What a crock of shit.
Arrogant
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Arrogant »

ftjr1974 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:53 pm But older bands like Kiss need to give younger bands a chance to get exposure. Greta Van Fleet,
While I don't understand the appeal, they'd be taking steps backwards to open for Kiss.