Scrapped video releases

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Di3go
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Scrapped video releases

Post by Di3go »

Revisiting some old articles and watching some old bootlegs I noticed that some of them were meant to be released officially but for some reason or other ended up "postponed" forever, here some of them as I can remember

1) Exposed II
The outtakes and raw footage are known as the guts of a larger project from the Hot In The Shade tour that ended up cancelled due to Eric Carr's death but that seemed it would ended up being similar than what Konfidential was.
Parts of this ended up Inside the Tale of the Fox documentary about Eric Carr's life and the menus on the third disc of Kissology II.

2) Detroit 92
It ended up as Konfidential through tape to film transfer, the I Love It Loud promo video for Alive III and later on Kissology III but is noticeable that the filming and amount of cameras were meant for a release of the whole concert, while Konfidential ended up being just half of Alive III on video in order to include vintage clips.
In 2007 get finally released on Kissology III minus Hotter Than Hell, Firehouse and Strutter.

4) Atlanta 1996
Filmed and broadcasted as a japanese PPV, sadly ignored on Kissology III. At the time with overdubs it could've been the perfect release on the Reunion Tour craze, however many excerpts ended up used on The Second Coming.
Rock And Roll All Nite from this show was edited as a live music video for promoting both the 97 tour and Greatest Kiss album there.

5) The Last Kiss
Again, recorded for a PPV for both japanese and american TV, shot on anamorphic widescreen as it can be seen on that show backstage footage. It may just ended being released as an official DVD back then if Peter Criss didn't quit. At least the 4:3 version was released on Kissology III in 2007.

6) Tokyo Dome 2001
Webcasted back then, the editing it's kinda similar to what Kiss Symphony get in 2003.
Again I think this ended up screwed due to Ace Frehley bailing out after the australian leg of the Farewell Tour.

7) Lick It Up The Definitive DVD
Announced by Universal in 2006 but never released as a collection of music videos from the non make up years (82-92), when it was announced Lick It Up, Hide Your Heart and I Just Wanna were missing. Some years prior Universal released a short DVD with 4 videos of 80's Kiss, Crazy Nights looked mint but after it and until the Kissology Vol. II and III the non make up era didn't get any attention anymore.
At the time it was supposedly postponed due to the low sales of the Alive 1975-2000 box set.

8) Cobo Hall 2009
At the time I remember this show being announced that it would be filmed and eventually released due to the Cobo Hall demolition, but never saw the light, maybe Kissology IV definitive cancellation had something to do with it, plus the fact of the Sonic Boom album being not released through Universal.
Just like the Atlanta 96 show, parts of this show were used for the Modern Day Delilah music video and a live performance of the same song for the Jimmy Kimmel show.

What other instances do you remember?
Last edited by Di3go on Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 9 times in total.
IAS
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Re: Scrapped video releases

Post by IAS »

Not official release , but does Sidney Australia 1980 count ?
Back in 2004 Paul said in a radio interview something about Mexico city 08-27-2004 show
Kissoff
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Kissoff »

Di3go wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:05 pm Revisiting some old articles and watching some old bootlegs I noticed that some of them were meant to be released officially but for some reason or other ended up "postponed" for forever, here some of them as I can remember

1) Exposed II
The outtakes and raw footage are known as the guts of a larger project from the Hot In The Shade tour that ended up cancelled due to Eric Carr's death but that seemed it would ended up being similar than what Konfidential was.

2) Detroit 92
It ended up as Konfidential through tape to film transfer, and later on Kissology III but is noticeable that the filming and amount of cameras were meant for a release of the whole concert, while Konfidential ended up being just half of Alive III on video in order to include vintage clips.

4) Atlanta 1996
Filmed and broadcasted as a japanese PPV, sadly ignored on Kissology III. At the time with overdubs it could've been the perfect release on the Reunion Tour craze, however many excerpts ended up used on The Second Coming.
Rock And Roll All Nite from this show was edited as a live music video for promoting both the 97 tour and Greatest Kiss album there.

5) The Last Kiss
Again, recorded for a PPV for both Japan and american TV, shot on anamorphic widescreen as it can be seen on that show backstage footage. It may just ended being released as an official DVD back then if Peter Criss didn't quit. At least the 4:3 version was released on Kissology III.

6) Tokyo Dome 2001
Webcasted back then, the editing it's kinda similar to what Kiss Symphony get in 2003.
Again I think this ended up screwed due to Ace Frehley bailing out after the australian leg of the Farewell Tour.

7) Lick It Up The Definitive DVD
Announced by Universal in 2006 but never released as a collection of music videos from the non make up years, when it was announced a few of them were missing. Some years prior Universal released a short DVD with 4 videos of 80's Kiss, Crazy Nights looked mint but after it and until the Kissology Vol. II and III the non make up era didn't get attention anymore.

8) Cobo Hall 2009
At the time I remeber this show being announced that it would be filmed and eventually released due to the Cobo Hall demolition, but never see the light, maybe Kissology IV definitive cancellation had something to do whit it, plus the fact of the album being not released through Universal.
Just like the Atlanta 96 show, parts of this show were used for the Modern Day Delilah music video and a live performance of the same song for the Jimmy Kimmel show.

What other instances do you remember?
Very nice work posting this!!!!
steveh67
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by steveh67 »

IAS wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:17 pm Not official release , but does Sidney Australia 1980 count ?
Back in 2004 Paul said in a radio interview something about Mexico city 08-27-2004 show
Sydney was supposed to be, but KISS stopped it. I think the local record company in Australia wanted to release it.

Through MarkF at KISS sacrifice, about 4 or 5 of us (if thats true) stumped up about $200 each if I recall to purchase the timecoded copy. Mark was good friends with someone at the label.

Each copy we got was taken from the Master. Hence the quality at the time.
Last edited by steveh67 on Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

They said they were filming Vancouver 99 NY show for DVD release. But reports from fans there said they didn’t have the necessary additional filming crew that a home release would require, so who knows.
Tito
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Tito »

steveh67 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:29 pm
IAS wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:17 pm Not official release , but does Sidney Australia 1980 count ?
Sydney was supposed to be, but KISS stopped it. I think the local record company in Australia wanted to release it.

Through MarkF at KISS sacrifice, about 4 or 5 of us (if thats true) stumped up about $200 each if I recall to purchase the timecoded copy. Mark was good friends with someone at the label
Was this in the early '90s? I remember reading about Gene hearing about Inner Sanctum being readied for release and stopping it circa Revenge.
kiss-1976
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kiss-1976 »

Tito wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:08 am

Through MarkF at KISS sacrifice, about 4 or 5 of us (if thats true) stumped up about $200 each if I recall to purchase the timecoded copy. Mark was good friends with someone at the label
The inner sanctum would be a great release if they could find the original tapes. I assume Channel 10 should still have the original?
Was this in the early '90s? I remember reading about Gene hearing about Inner Sanctum being readied for release and stopping it circa Revenge.
steveh67

Post by steveh67 »

Yeah, about 91 or something. I remember where I was working at the time, and Mark contacting me to help out.
Four-Who-Are-One
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Four-Who-Are-One »

The souvenir DVD from Peter's farewell shows.
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

Good call. And Vincent Vincent’s anti communism bash, or whatever the hell it was.
kiss-1976
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by kiss-1976 »

kiss-1976 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:45 am

The inner sanctum would be a great release if they could find the original tapes. I assume Channel 10 should still have the original?
Di3go
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Di3go »

alanrosembung wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:44 am Good call. And Vincent Vincent’s anti communism bash, or whatever the hell it was.
Vinnie's Angels from 2013, only the annoucement was made but no contents at all were revealed
dtk07
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by dtk07 »

Di3go wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:05 pm
4) Atlanta 1996
When you say overdubs, are you talking about audio overdubs like Detroit 1984/Animalized Live Uncensored? If so, that is news to me. One of my biggest complaints of the Reunion tour is the lack of a true home video ready pro shot. While I'm happy they archived the screen feeds, I was a little bummed that Kissology resorted to the screen feed for Detroit 1996.
Di3go
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Di3go »

dtk07 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:17 am
Di3go wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:05 pm
4) Atlanta 1996
When you say overdubs, are you talking about audio overdubs like Detroit 1984/Animalized Live Uncensored? If so, that is news to me. One of my biggest complaints of the Reunion tour is the lack of a true home video ready pro shot. While I'm happy they archived the screen feeds, I was a little bummed that Kissology resorted to the screen feed for Detroit 1996.
Yes, the Atlanta PPV has the most cameras and can clearly be noticed that's not entirely from the screenfeed alone, and since it was recorded for a TV PPV it may also had audio multitracks. The mix for the PPV though was awful.
And just like Detroit 92 there's bootleg versions of the drum''s camera angle alone.

artinis1
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by artinis1 »

I really wish they would officially release Atlanta ‘96, hard to believe there’s no release from that tour other than the Detroit Screen video, crazy, their most successful tour, hopefully they release a show for the Off The Soundboard series
Much Too Soon
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Much Too Soon »

Love this thread. Thank you gang.
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

artinis1 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:41 pm their most successful tour,
Ok, you just summoned … him.
Lofton23rdSt

Post by Lofton23rdSt »

artinis1 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:41 pm I really wish they would officially release Atlanta ‘96, hard to believe there’s no release from that tour other than the Detroit Screen video, crazy, their most successful tour, hopefully they release a show for the Off The Soundboard series
The Walmart bonus disc for Kissology Vol 3 was an MSG show.
Di3go
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Di3go »

alanrosembung wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:37 pm
artinis1 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:41 pm their most successful tour,
Ok, you just summoned … him.
Nibblerjuice, Nibblerjuice, Nibblerjuice
Coventry1973
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Coventry1973 »

The end of Cobo Hall was supposed to be filmed
Just saw that you included that one
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

Lofton23rdSt wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:53 pm
artinis1 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:41 pm I really wish they would officially release Atlanta ‘96, hard to believe there’s no release from that tour other than the Detroit Screen video, crazy, their most successful tour, hopefully they release a show for the Off The Soundboard series
The Walmart bonus disc for Kissology Vol 3 was an MSG show.
Alive96 fills this gap :)
Potato Salad
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Potato Salad »

They recorded every show they ever played, so there's quite a few of them.
TT714
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by TT714 »

What about Philly 87?
razor
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by razor »

TT714 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:43 pm What about Philly 87?
proposed to be a pay per view special from that tour that got shelved
Parasiteman
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by Parasiteman »

Nice job! You missed the once planned Kiss new years eve in Dubai 12/31/2020 show
Di3go
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Di3go »

Parasiteman wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:00 pm Nice job! You missed the once planned Kiss new years eve in Dubai 12/31/2020 show
Still in production, if it takes another year without any updates it can perfectly enter this list.
The Last Vegas 2014 residency for example took almost 2 years for finally being released as Kiss Rocks Vegas.

One I totally missed was the "You Wanted The Best" 2014 documentary, but I think several parts of it ended up recycled for the A&E Kisstory documentary.
razor
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by razor »

steveh67 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:48 am

Yeah, about 91 or something. I remember where I was working at the time, and Mark contacting me to help out.
yes in may or june of 92 it was a complete package the inner sanctum and sydney were going to be released
but gene over heard this and stopped it straight way also in 03 the same people who did "' the lost concert"
were going to put it out but got stopped some how
sabresaxon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by sabresaxon »

I’m just glad Gene’s sextape series was cancelled after one unsexy volume.
Di3go
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Di3go »

Here's another one from Gene's autobiography

Kovention Tour 1995
He claimed that they were filming the conventions for a video release when the offer for a MTV Unplugged episode came, replacing it with a video release of the unplugged, using snippets of what they filmed for the documentary part at the beginning of Unplugged and The Second Coming as well, such as the memorabilia displays, the performances with kids, tribute bands, weddings in Kiss make up and a pro shot edited version of Black Diamond.
For Kissology III parts of it were also used on the short behind the scenes documentary about the Unplugged with Alex Coletti's narration