Tribute Bands or Cold Turkey?

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.

Will KIϟϟ Tribute Bands Help Sustain Your Fandom?

Yes
10%
No
74%
Maybe
17%

Total votes: 121

Bruce
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Tribute Bands or Cold Turkey?

Post by Bruce »

Kiss Dwarf Tribute Act Image1.jpeg

When KIϟϟ finally retires, will you start seeing tribute bands to -- at least, in part -- help sustain your fandom, as it relates to seeing KIϟϟ live? Or, will you instead rely on downloads, YouTube ... and fond memories?

:ace: :peter: :gene: :paul:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Revenge 92
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: Tribute Bands or Cold Turkey?

Post by Revenge 92 »

Fond memories and the music. Enough for me. Perhaps an occasional youtube video.
67Kiss
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by 67Kiss »

Most of them aren't great but I enjoy going to see a tribute band once in a while. It's a cheap night out and I know I'll like the music, most of them dig way deeper on the tunes which beats the tired old set list that Kiss plays. I've seen three EOTR shows and had a good time but there are a bunch of shows near me on the upcoming leg and I haven't even thought about buying tickets yet.
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

No.

Tribute bands are if no interest to me now. The music and videos will hold my fandom.
Shawn71
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Shawn71 »

They are all garbage now. Pre reunion there were some really good ones though. Since KISS put the make up back on, seeing a tribute band has pretty much lost its relevance.
Legsofsteel
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by Legsofsteel »

I've seen two tribute bands. The first one was a British one back in 2007 in Wrexham, and they were great. Killer set list with stuff the actual band never play live.

The other one was in 2019 the night before the EOTR tour, and they were decent. No hidden gems in the set list which was a shame.

Yeah, I probably will. Tickets are normally very reasonable as well.
Tito

Post by Tito »

Tribute bands can be fun but the experience has nothing whatsoever to do with seeing the real thing for me, a whole different ball game.
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

I've played in one, although I never really thought of it as a tribute - more just a bunch of friends that got together to play obscure Kiss covers live and never needed to rehearse because we all knew the songs so well!

"We cool doing Naked City tonight?"

"Aye - fine..."

There certainly was no sense of being a substitute or replacement for the real thing though which is a trap I feel some tribute bands fall into.
jannep17
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by jannep17 »

I'm done already. Almost. Will see them one last time, next summer.
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

I voted maybe in that I'd be prepared to check out 2.0..
I wouldn't bother with some of the hideously bad Tribute bands around now. But if 2.0 is cast well and is a good show; I'd check it out from time to time.
spacekace
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by spacekace »

If there is a good tribute band in town I might go see them.
Grand Classic
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Grand Classic »

I have never understood the like or love for tribute bands. No matter what band it is. Why pay money to see nobodies pretending to be your heroes?
Pete2174

Post by Pete2174 »

If there’s one playing near me then sure why not but i won’t be travelling the country to see one.
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:46 pm I have never understood the like or love for tribute bands. No matter what band it is. Why pay money to see nobodies pretending to be your heroes?
I'm not a huge fan either, but why? Because it's usually like $10 or less to see them...something to do. But to pay big money to see one? No clue why anyone would... Meanwhile the official tribute band charges like $150 a pop and people go. I'd rather pay $10 to see the unofficial tribute band.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

joma5477 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:53 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:46 pm I have never understood the like or love for tribute bands. No matter what band it is. Why pay money to see nobodies pretending to be your heroes?
I'm not a huge fan either, but why? Because it's usually like $10 or less to see them...something to do. But to pay big money to see one? No clue why anyone would... Meanwhile the official tribute band charges like $150 a pop and people go. I'd rather pay $10 to see the unofficial tribute band.
Just makes no sense to me. To me, it would be like going to see a play with actor impersonators instead of the star actors.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

I'm seeing, here, what amounts to a hard "No!" to tribute bands. I have been taken by surprise -- I expected this poll to be much closer. Don't ask me why ...
Eddie Van Hazel

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

No.

I enjoyed seeing the KISS tribute bands back in the late 80's/early 90's.
Maybe because the original four weren't back together yet.

Once the reunion happened, I was done seeing the tribute bands.
DaveinSpain
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by DaveinSpain »

To answer the question no tribute bands do not help me sustain my fandom.....but I have enjoyed many tribute bands. From Kiss to The Ramones to AC/DC to the Smith's to The Misfits & Joy Division. But they have always just been a fun night out hearing music from bands I love....but none of it makes a difference in my fandom of bands.
KingOfHearts89
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

I've never been to see one live but from time to time I do watch some on Youtube. As long as the band are having fun and some passable then I'd be down. Would it continue my fandom? Sure, just need some to pop up around the North of England.
Ack66
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Ack66 »

Bruce wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:15 am Kiss Dwarf Tribute Act Image1.jpeg

When KIϟϟ finally retires, will you start seeing tribute bands to -- at least, in part -- help sustain your fandom, as it relates to seeing KIϟϟ live? Or, will you instead rely on downloads, YouTube ... and fond memories?

:ace: :peter: :gene: :paul:
That’s the worst looking tribute band I’ve ever seen. I’d go to see them just to throw stuff at them.
Somebody Backstage
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Somebody Backstage »

Gene and Paul may be thinking, "They already bought Eric & Tommy playing Ace & Peter, so what's two more? Let's go for it."
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Tribute bands do tend to lack a certain eye for detail. Surely, they've seen the Dynasty cover. The solo albums. Then they turn to the mirror ... and paint themselves, all proud of what they've done. Trot out on stage looking like shit, then compound that by sounding like shit. Everybody's out of tune, off-key, out of time. Demanding applause ... and appreciation ...
TwistedTaste
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by TwistedTaste »

Kiss is already a tribute band?
gothunder

Post by gothunder »

Been seeing them for 25 years, that wont change. Its a fun evening.
StrangestWay
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by StrangestWay »

The albums and footage of their incredible career sustain me now and forever.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

No tribute bands for me. I'll stick with old YouTube videos and the albums themselves -- oh and my memories.
Velvis
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Velvis »

I saw Mr. Speed a couple of years back and they are fantastic. In no way does it replace KISS, but its awesome hearing live music and deeper cuts and for $20 its money well spent. To be honest I would be just as interested if they didn't wear the makeup and costumes.
Man of a Thousand Aces

Post by Man of a Thousand Aces »

Most tribute bands I have seen on YT suck. Many of them have good budgets for production values, but musically most of them suck.
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

I don't think anyone's Kiss fandom will lessen or cease if for instance there were suddenly no Kiss tribute bands, so no, the tribute bands have no effect whatsoever on anyone's fandom either way IMO. They are there simply for people to enjoy if people want to go.
Ack66
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Ack66 »

TwistedTaste wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:38 pm Kiss is already a tribute band?
No, they are not. Learn the definition of the term, then you’ll realize what a moronic statement you made.
TwistedTaste
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by TwistedTaste »

Ack66 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:09 pm
No, they are not. Learn the definition of the term, then you’ll realize what a moronic statement you made.
1/2 a tribute band? At least. Since Paul now mimes I guess 5/8” Tribute. But let’s not spilt hairs
Ack66
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Ack66 »

TwistedTaste wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:12 pm
1/2 a tribute band? At least. Since Paul now mimes I guess 5/8” Tribute. But let’s not spilt hairs
A tribute band would consist of people whom had no connection with a popular band, and is presenting a tribute to aforementioned popular band. Since the entity collectively known as Kiss has never stopped playing, and still consists of the two primary songwriters, plus having a drummer who has been with them for decades, plus a guitarist who has worked for them in many capacities, the modern day version of Kiss in no way qualifies as a tribute band.

But you already know this, and you’re wallowing in willful ignorance.
TwistedTaste
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by TwistedTaste »

Ack66 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:38 pm
TwistedTaste wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:12 pm
A tribute band would consist of people whom had no connection with a popular band, and is presenting a tribute to aforementioned popular band. Since the entity collectively known as Kiss has never stopped playing, and still consists of the two primary songwriters, plus having a drummer who has been with them for decades, plus a guitarist who has worked for them in many capacities, the modern day version of Kiss in no way qualifies as a tribute band.

But you already know this, and you’re wallowing in willful ignorance.
Aww c’mon, lighten up bud
41Mets

Post by 41Mets »

If you don't enjoy it, that is certainly valid. But I certainly do, because it's a cheap night out to listen to Kiss music very often by passionate fans of the band like myself. They often play rarer cuts too. It's a communal, yet smaller fan experience and a chance to get out and hang out with other fans of the band and have a good time revolving around Kiss. I appreciate the effort and the pure passion for the band many of the performers put into it. That said, I have found a few of the guys in such bands to be sometimes out of whack in their view of themselves in the genre. Some try to carry themselves like actual stars, and some battle with other tribute bands on who is better, performing territory, etc.
JohnBergless

Post by JohnBergless »

I must admit I’ve never seen a tribute band live. Very recently I had the chance to and bought tix; but ultimately could not go. Between you and me though - I was really REALLY apprehensive about going. I told my (verrry casual fan) girlfriend - I will know every song, note for note, by heart. I will probably sit there analyzing and comparing all night …. Which could actually just ruin the whole thing for me. There’s no other music in the world that I know better than KISS’. In a way it’s sad. Don’t get me wrong - it looks like there's some damn fine and talented tributes out there. I hope I can get over my “fear”
Homer Simpson

Post by Homer Simpson »

I would rather see a band do a bunch a Kiss covers than an all out tribute band if that makes sense.
41Mets

Post by 41Mets »

Homer Simpson wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:48 pm I would rather see a band do a bunch a Kiss covers than an all out tribute band if that makes sense.
There is a New York band that rip roars through Kiss covers with no makeup, they play rare cuts from Let Me Know to Watchin ' You and Take Me.

https://www.facebook.com/UnmaskedKissCoverBand
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wichita77 »

DaveinSpain wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:10 pm To answer the question no tribute bands do not help me sustain my fandom.....but I have enjoyed many tribute bands. From Kiss to The Ramones to AC/DC to the Smith's to The Misfits & Joy Division. But they have always just been a fun night out hearing music from bands I love....but none of it makes a difference in my fandom of bands.
I'll have to side with you on this one. I enjoy live music, and when someone does it well, whether it's in a cover band or full-out tribute band, it can be a lot of fun. I saw an Eagles Tribute band once that was insanely good. Close your eyes and it was them. They weren't pretending to be the Eagles, but they were playing the music as good as the real thing though, and I got to enjoy it without spending a fortune. Same thing with a Skynyrd tribute I saw awhile back. It was as good as the current band (that I've seen often). I've watched enough bad bands on YouTube to know this isn't the norm, but when the bands are good enough to get booked in Nashville, it's usually a safe bet for a fun evening. As it's not the real thing, you can relax over a few beers with friends while listening to live music. That works for me.

With KISS, they are playing the parts of the characters, so that might be a different deal, but if they are good and the beer is cold, I'd be up for giving it a try.
pepperkitty
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by pepperkitty »

Nope
Phyllis Simmons

Bruce wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:33 pm Tribute bands do tend to lack a certain eye for detail. Surely, they've seen the Dynasty cover. The solo albums. Then they turn to the mirror ... and paint themselves, all proud of what they've done. Trot out on stage looking like shit, then compound that by sounding like shit. Everybody's out of tune, off-key, out of time. Demanding applause ... and appreciation ...
:lol: But you said earlier in the thread you were surprised by the lack of interest in Tributes?! You kinda hit the nail on the head with the above!
I'd said I would check out the KISS 2.0 in a few years time - whatever that ends up being - likely just a decent sanctioned Tribute band, with hopefully strong players. But Tribute bands in general I couldn't care less. I saw a few back in the day, but I wouldn't now; and haven't for many years; I'd much rather seek out some original bands that are playing.. Vetted of course - I'll listen to a track or 2; watch a video clip before committing to go out and see them.

Someone above said Reunion or pre- Reunion there seemed to be better KISS Tributes. That might be true too. Back then they seemed to be made up of much younger guys.. Better players too? Most of the KISS Tributes now seem to comprise of 50 to 60 year old fat guys in makeup and tights, :shock: doing it for a lark?!

Interesting to see in a year or two if Gene shuts them all down for 2.0's arrival...
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Phyllis Simmons wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:55 pm But you said earlier in the thread you were surprised by the lack of interest in Tributes?!
And I still do! Tribute bands seem well-supported by a rabid fanbase. Filling the void, in many respects. Whether that be a collective need for deep cuts, or a more lively stageshow presentation, as compared to the genuine article. The compromise, the ... trade-off ... being that these tributes learn by ear, or half-assed tabulature downloaded from unofficial sources. They're all like, "Music Theory? Never heard of it. Is that made up? Because that sounds made-up." As a fan, you get what you pay for, and yet ... this thread's polling numbers seem to indicate some unexpected resistance. I was caught ... unaware!
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

41Mets wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:31 pm
If you don't enjoy it, that is certainly valid. But I certainly do, because it's a cheap night out to listen to Kiss music very often by passionate fans of the band like myself. They often play rarer cuts too. It's a communal, yet smaller fan experience and a chance to get out and hang out with other fans of the band and have a good time revolving around Kiss. I appreciate the effort and the pure passion for the band many of the performers put into it. That said, I have found a few of the guys in such bands to be sometimes out of whack in their view of themselves in the genre. Some try to carry themselves like actual stars, and some battle with other tribute bands on who is better, performing territory, etc.
It is not for me, but cool if you and others dig it. I already have enough of a problem with the real KISS being a tribute band at this point. :D
redinthesky

Post by redinthesky »

Homer Simpson wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:48 pm I would rather see a band do a bunch a Kiss covers than an all out tribute band if that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense to me. Kiss tribute bands, bless 'em, even the best ones always have at least one weak link, and that's first and foremost usually the "Paul." I have never seen a great Paul, ever. A few 'good' ones, none great. The worst is when the "Paul" tries to be Paul in between songs. It's always absolutely cringe-worthy and embarrassing. The second weak link always seems to be the Ace. Oddly enough, the Genes usually are all right a higher percentage of the time, as are the Peters.

The fact that a lot of Kiss tribute band members take it all wayyyyy too seriously and think they're hot shit makes it all even more comical.

So yes just seeing some dudes get up there and play Kiss songs, IMO is much better. That band that 41Mets linked to, they had their problems, but were passable to enjoy at a bar. However the shortcomings would seem very amplified if they did the makeup and costumes. But dressed normally, just some dudes who can play all right jamming a bunch of Kiss tunes.
Phyllis Simmons

Bruce wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:30 pm
Phyllis Simmons wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:55 pm But you said earlier in the thread you were surprised by the lack of interest in Tributes?!
And I still do! Tribute bands seem well-supported by a rabid fanbase. Filling the void, in many respects. Whether that be a collective need for deep cuts, or a more lively stageshow presentation, as compared to the genuine article. The compromise, the ... trade-off ... being that these tributes learn by ear, or half-assed tabulature downloaded from unofficial sources. They're all like, "Music Theory? Never heard of it. Is that made up? Because that sounds made-up." As a fan, you get what you pay for, and yet ... this thread's polling numbers seem to indicate some unexpected resistance. I was caught ... unaware!
All fair points; especially the filling the void part. You’ve got to be damn good though; and that is the key…US is so big, so vast that there is probably more versions of Tributes around? Maybe? Other countries it can be a bit different? A very good one can kinda corner the market?

Some Aussie FAQers will recognise my following short account. Dynassty (is that how they spelt it!) were the only KISS Tribute that mattered in Australia in the 90’s. So they had the country covered and toured, and they were very good. Im not sure if there were any other KISS Tributes then actually? It was almost like why try compete with them at that? You wont be as good! They’ve got that side of things - classic elaborate KISS show, makeup, costumes, very good players/ singers- they got that covered ( at a time when KISS weren’t doing that). They played the Aust. KISS Conventions in ’95 too. I saw them probably 4 or 5 times from say 92 to 96-ish. Definitely one of the best couple of KISS Tributes in the world - Gene said so much too.

I think they continued as KISSTERIA with I believe the same Paul. A good “Paul” is very hard to find. (Paul himself tells us that too!) I saw them only once at the House of Rock maybe ’10 or ’11 and I recognised the same “Paul”… Not quite as good as Dynassty maybe, but they were still very good indeed.

Zep Boys; not impersonators - but very strong professional musicians and a strong frontman. Not sure if they still play but they were very good and had that market covered nationally from a Zeppelin Tribute standpoint, certainly 90’s into 00’s…

More recently Killer Queen - top notch. Saw them twice. Once maybe ’10 and again about ’15.. Their Freddie is so good that they used him in some UK TV documentaries to play Freddie in the acted parts. Very good voice too… and persona; the band is strong too.. As Queen is quite universal they play all around the country and also right throughout Asia as well. Top notch.

That’s the top end of the spectrum that I’ve seen; other end - I’ve seen a few that were basically just pub-bashers. The type of night that you somehow wind up at a place! A bit rough, but Im sure it was probably fun! :drunken:
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

Bruce wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:30 pm
I can remember being dragged along to see a Rush tribute band by a friend who is a stellar bass player - half a dozen songs in he announced he couldn't take it anymore because their bass player was massively simplifying all Geddy Lee's basslines to make it easier to double up on playing and singing...the fact is most guys playing in them aren't remotely on the same level as the people they're portraying.

And there's the rub - absolutely nobody starts off their musical career wanting to be in a tribute band. They tend to be populated by musicians who gravitate towards that scene after having very little success in doing original material - not so much has-beens as never-have-beens.

It's important to remember that when you play in that kind of setup that it's not you the audience is coming to hear and it's certainly not you they're cheering...I get the distinct impression that some probably lose sight of that fact.
UltraCynic
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by UltraCynic »

I shall be attending lots of gigs by KISS tribute bands as I search for the next Tommy Thayer. He’s out there...
Red_Walrus
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Red_Walrus »

joma5477 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:53 pm
For me live music is always a plus, I used to see a Led Zep cover band every time I could, it was always a fun night out.
sabresaxon
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by sabresaxon »

No. It’s okay for things to end.
Mackemkiss

Post by Mackemkiss »

Who's to say the nobody can't sing better than the hero he's emulating? Entirely possible now.
caligari

Post by caligari »

I think in the history of KISS tributes I’ve only heard 2 that vocally SOUND like Gene for real.
A lot of FAT ALBERTs, COOKIE MONSTERs, and various growling baritones.
All half assed attempts that THINK they “nail it”.