Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by alanrosembung »

So Cruel
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Re: Paul : KISS is about the friendship of two people

Post by So Cruel »

Revisionist history. The story of Kiss is 4 knuckleheads (as Gene would like to say) from New York who overcame the odds to become a big band. Everything Kiss is right now is based off those initial 6 years.

I love that Gene told the director that Ace and Peter cannot be glossed over. They are an integral part of the Kiss story. Now Paul says it’s about the friendship of Gene and himself. Anyone who follows the band knows they aren’t close friends. The Rolling Stone article pointed that out.
Homer Simpson
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by Homer Simpson »

I'm amazed Paul gave anyone other than himself credit.

Kidding...kind of.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Stanley would know best what the band is about. His version of events should not be ... discounted.
Soylent Gene
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by Soylent Gene »

TWO people. This just keeps getting more stupid.
Ack66
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Ack66 »

Bruce wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:47 pm Stanley would know best what the band is about. His version of events should not be ... discounted.
Very little in Kiss is discounted.

That’s some expensive stuff.
Ack66
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Ack66 »

Homer Simpson wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:41 pm I'm amazed Paul gave anyone other than himself credit.

Kidding...kind of.
In his world, he’s the most important person.
Ack66
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Ack66 »

So Cruel wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:27 pm Revisionist history. The story of Kiss is 4 knuckleheads (as Gene would like to say) from New York who overcame the odds to become a big band. Everything Kiss is right now is based off those initial 6 years.

I love that Gene told the director that Ace and Peter cannot be glossed over. They are an integral part of the Kiss story. Now Paul says it’s about the friendship of Gene and himself. Anyone who follows the band knows they aren’t close friends. The Rolling Stone article pointed that out.
The only person in the history of the band that should be glossed over is Vinnie.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

So that's the angle they're going for on the A&E thing. "In the end it was all about our friendship" :x
Going Blind
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Going Blind »

Did Paul forget what he wrote about Gene in his book, like he forgot Soul Station? LOL
ZachAttack

Post by ZachAttack »

Two people who can't stand each other
ftjr1974
Banned
Banned

Post by ftjr1974 »

I truly believe Paul is losing his mind.
Tito

Post by Tito »

Aww.
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

I see he managed to get some digs in.

Asked how KISS managed to come back from almost hitting rock bottom, Stanley said: "Look, I'm a big believer that when somebody is drowning, you try to save them. But when they start pulling you down with them is when you cut them loose. You're always gonna find out how much something means to you by how hard you're willing to fight to bring it back or to retain it. So it was sheer determination. And did we make some wrong turns in our journey? Yeah, but we always wound up getting back on the right path. And I just have to say kudos to all our fans who stood by us. And likely some of them left discouraged at some point, and over time we won them back."
ACESTATION

Post by ACESTATION »

ftjr1974 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:29 pm I truly believe Paul is losing his mind.
Due to not only the books but all the Twitters I've found out so much more about what they might really be like way way beyond anything even in the late 90's and most of the 2000's due to social media, Twitter, more articles and interviews online.
It seems to me they aren't what I once believed they were long ago, not as intelligent and I don't respect Gene or Paul nearly as much as I once did. In some ways I like Gene more than I did because he has revealed more humanity as he's aged but overall the respect level is lower for both.
Since Peter and Ace are not in the band I don't really discuss them in a current way, mostly just past stuff.
spacecat2500
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by spacecat2500 »

I’ve always viewed KISS as two hungry dogs having a tug-o-war over a piece of meat. Neither of these guys will let go first. It’s a stalemate. They are 50/50 partners holding stock in a very valuable asset.
Neither guy can blink or let go. They are joined at the hip. Like it or not.
Maybe it’s more healthy to accept it and be as amicable as possible.
Ozone1978
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Ozone1978 »

What a fucking idiot to say this.
KISSFACE
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by KISSFACE »

I’ve heard them compare their partnership to brotherhood and marriage many a time, but i think that’s the first time i’ve heard of Paul using the F word — maybe Gene will even get to visit the new house when it’s done!
In the Suds

Post by In the Suds »

Speaking of marriage, remember when Paul said having Gene there would "taint'' his wedding?
Gene had been very, very vocal about not only dismissing the idea of marriage, but really have a very disrespectful and demeaning attitude towards people who did,” Stanley said. “So for me, it really came down to you don’t belong at my wedding. It would taint it. It would do something, it would be contradictory, and for me, that would be offensive. He understood. Lo and behold, he got married, too.

Best friends. :)
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

Ack66 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:59 pm
The only person in the history of the band that should be glossed over is Vinnie.
For saving KISS?

Twice?
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

ftjr1974 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:29 pm I truly believe Paul is losing his mind.
Probably lack of oxygen from wearing his mask when he rides his bike on those vital selfie-missions. Plus the wig glue would react to the excess heat in his helmet and give off dangerous fumes.
Spiritual_Chaos

Post by Spiritual_Chaos »

Should be noted, in the interview with the Director of the Doc posted on this board - he says that he and Paul had discussions and talked about another musicdoc (name and/or artists in it escapes me) that was focused on "two friends" but the Director decided not to go down that route but make a doc focusing on the band as a whole.

So maybe Paul didn't get that memmo and now can't see the doc in another light than what he "wanted" it to be.
Coventry1973
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Coventry1973 »

Two friends who make a ton of money off each other by staying at the party too long
Ratmir

Post by Ratmir »

In the Suds wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:33 pm Speaking of marriage, remember when Paul said having Gene there would "taint'' his wedding?
Gene had been very, very vocal about not only dismissing the idea of marriage, but really have a very disrespectful and demeaning attitude towards people who did,” Stanley said. “So for me, it really came down to you don’t belong at my wedding. It would taint it. It would do something, it would be contradictory, and for me, that would be offensive. He understood. Lo and behold, he got married, too.

Best friends. :)
Back when Paul was going through a divorce and lost millions of dollars and had to briefly live in Genes guest house, Gene went out on the speaking tour mainly discussing how stupid are the people who get married and then divorced and lose money
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

I love Peter and I love Ace, but Paul is right here.

Paul and Gene weathered the storm because of their friendship.
Tito

Post by Tito »

The idea that the band held together because of friendship :lol: oh man, that's a good one. Obviously they've had an enduring business partnership, but does someone believe they would have remained "friends" had the band folded for some reason along the way?
Tommyr

Post by Tommyr »

Same old shit, subtle dig at Ace & Peter AGAIN. Nothing new to see here. That show is going to suck. Just an Ace & Peter bashfest for the millionth time.

Fuck you Paul.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Lost it many years ago
StraightThruTheHeart
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by StraightThruTheHeart »

Verbal diarrhea.

Very little that comes out of Gene and Paul's mouths when talking to the media is honest in any way. And they don't care.
Glasgow Kiss
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Glasgow Kiss »

Spiritual_Chaos wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:13 am Should be noted, in the interview with the Director of the Doc posted on this board - he says that he and Paul had discussions and talked about another musicdoc (name and/or artists in it escapes me) that was focused on "two friends" but the Director decided not to go down that route but make a doc focusing on the band as a whole.

So maybe Paul didn't get that memmo and now can't see the doc in another light than what he "wanted" it to be.
Maybe the Anvil one from a while back - those two were genuine childhood friends though rather than two guys who probably will never see each other again socially once they don't have to be in a band with each other any more.
FanbAce1978
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by FanbAce1978 »

KISS has always been about two very important Pauls...

Paul Daniel Frehley

Paul Charles Caravello

Bert is just a fake Paul after all.
Kissologist

Post by Kissologist »

So in the end the doco is a bromance movie :P
Doose

Post by Doose »

Paul: "KISS has always been about the friendship of two people - Me and Ben Franklin."

peterparker78
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by peterparker78 »

Yeh "So for me, it really came down to you don’t belong at my wedding. It would taint it. It would do something, it would be contradictory, and for me, that would be offensive" didn't sit well with me either. Myself and long term lady partner (approaching 30 years happily unmarried) not religeous (though we respect the beliefs of others) have never had any intention of tying the knot or having children, 100% our choice due to, reasons. But, here's the rub; friends & relations respect & know of our life choices and we have still attended weddings, chistenings and, sadly funerals, of people we like & care about, and who wanted us there because they like & care about us. We wouldn't you for someone who has been in your life for so long and "is the brother I never had" ? G & P both said this about one other, it don't make any sense.....
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Tito wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:58 am The idea that the band held together because of friendship :lol: oh man, that's a good one. Obviously they've had an enduring business partnership, but does someone believe they would have remained "friends" had the band folded for some reason along the way?
But the band didn't fold, and they do seem to be friends (ish).

From Paul's perspective, having helmed the band for nearly 50 years, maybe for him it IS about the friendship between him and Gene. Has nobody considered that? Maybe for him, that's what it comes down to. They are the guys who kept the train rolling for half a century after all.

The story of Kiss is definitely no longer about the "four knuckleheads from New York" - it was at one time, but a hell of a lot has happened since then, decades of it in fact.

Just because it pisses off the A&P crowd, doesn't mean that Stanley's isn't a valid perspective.
Last edited by TheSpoiler on Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

Doose wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:49 am .
Paul: "KISS has always been about the friendship of two people - Me and Ben Franklin."

I thought it was about Paul Stanley & Jean Beauvoir?
KingOfHearts89
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by KingOfHearts89 »

I thought it was about wearing 40lbs of gear? I'm confused :-?
CStomp1

Post by CStomp1 »

Remember these two famously didn't get along from day one. The story has always been told about G&P first meeting and Paul being put off by Gene's bragging about his songwriting, etc. It's hard to imagine, though, two guys sharing a 50 year partnership and not developing some type of bond.

I went back and rewatched MIke Brunn's interview with the documentary director DJ Viola, and it sounded like Paul had an idea of this documentary focusing on his friendship with him and Gene, but DJ said that's not the story of KISS. He went on to say A&P appear in roughly 75% of the documentary. He also said it was Gene that said A&P need to be well represented and not glossed over. Is it possible Paul wanted A&P minimized? Possibly but that's speculation. Sounds like the documentary will not be focused on G&P's friendship.

So are G&P good friends? I think the evidence shows more like brothers who are not tremendously close personally but morso professionally.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

And therein lies the root of the problem with the band's original lineup, IMO. It was rarely a one-for-all, all-for-one approach.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

FanbAce1978 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:41 am KISS has always been about two very important Pauls...

Paul Daniel Frehley

Paul Charles Caravello

Bert is just a fake Paul after all.
:lol:
His Majesty

Post by His Majesty »

alivecatman wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:42 am I love Peter and I love Ace, but Paul is right here.

Maybe if they treated Ace & Peter like true friends, they could have all weathered the storm together.
alivecatman

Post by alivecatman »

His Majesty wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:59 am
alivecatman wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:42 am I love Peter and I love Ace, but Paul is right here.

Maybe if they treated Ace & Peter like true friends, they could have all weathered the storm together.
Neither you, nor I know about their private relationships and the conversations that took place when the original lineup broke up. Best to remain silent.
jannep17

Post by jannep17 »

Friendsies!
jkiss

Post by jkiss »

His Majesty wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:59 am

I actually don't think they ever could've been true friends with Ace & Peter. Too bizarre of a band situation for it to ever work-out for any significant length of time, originally. I'd even view it as 'highly experimental'. And I'm certain a lot of 'experimenting' went on & I'm not so sure we all really want to know 'the how so'.

I think Peter tried to tell us, but of course stopped short of spilling all the glory details. However, it was enough to get the general idea KISS was very 'unlike' what people tend to believe & would consider are normal interactions, within a typical popular Rock group.

😮
Last edited by jkiss on Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nfarend

Post by nfarend »

TheSpoiler wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:07 am
Tito wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:58 am The idea that the band held together because of friendship :lol: oh man, that's a good one. Obviously they've had an enduring business partnership, but does someone believe they would have remained "friends" had the band folded for some reason along the way?
But the band didn't fold, and they do seem to be friends (ish).

From Paul's perspective, having helmed the band for nearly 50 years, maybe for him it IS about the friendship between him and Gene. Has nobody considered that? Maybe for him, that's what it comes down to. They are the guys who kept the train rolling for half a century after all.

The story of Kiss is definitely no longer about the "four knuckleheads from New York" - it was at one time, but a hell of a lot has happened since then, decades of it in fact.

Just because it pisses off the A&P crowd, doesn't mean that Stanley's isn't a valid perspective.
^^^^ This exactly!
gottaRockRockRawk
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by gottaRockRockRawk »

In the Suds wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:04 pm So that's the angle they're going for on the A&E thing. "In the end it was all about our friendship" :x
Paul and Gene want it to be the documentary they never saw.
Chaim Wigz
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by Chaim Wigz »

Kiss is about Ace, Paul, Gene and Peter, and the incalculable and priceless contributions of those who were there from the beginning and through the glory years. Namely: the road crew, wives (thank you, Lydia!) and friends, and especially Bill Aucoin, Sean Delaney and Neil Bogart.

Peter leaving was the beginning of the end, Ace and Bill leaving were the final nails in the coffin. It was over. Everything after that was/is the story of the $immons $tanley Corporation, and I’m not interested in that story at all. And nor should any self respecting music documentary maker worth his salt.

The Simmons Stanley Corporation story from 1984 onwards is the sound of a million hippopotamus farts, blowing in unison at Paul Stanley’s stink face. Completely different band, Kiss in name only. Keep that crap outta my real Kiss doco, thankyouverymuch.
OHKISSFAN

Post by OHKISSFAN »

The actual KISStory of KISS from the very beginning to the current day
IS about the friendship (dysfunctional as it sometimes has been ) of 2 people!
These 2 people (Paul & Gene) have been there at the very beginning - yes, even before Ace & Old Pete - and will be there at the very end (without Ace & Old Pete)!

What is so hard to understand??
Ozone1978
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Ozone1978 »

If Gene and Paul were so great with out Ace and Peter there from the beginning then Wicked Lester would have had some success. This is a KISS documentary not a Wicked Lester documentary.
OHKISSFAN

Post by OHKISSFAN »

[quoteIf Gene and Paul were so great with out Ace and Peter there from the beginning then Wicked Lester would have had some success. This is a KISS documentary not a Wicked Lester documentary.][/quote]

There is NO KISS without Gene & Paul - There IS & WAS KISS without Ace & Pete.

It comes down to those 2 guys (G & P). Ace & Pete were definitely part of the foundation, beginning & early success of KISS - but over the entire KISStory of KISS = It's Gene & Paul.

The actual KISStory of KISS from the very beginning to the current day
IS about the friendship (dysfunctional as it sometimes has been ) of 2 people!
These 2 people (Paul & Gene) have been there at the very beginning - yes, even before Ace & Old Pete - and will be there at the very end (without Ace & Old Pete)!

What is so hard to understand??