Curious About the Dislike for Tommy

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Curious About the Dislike for Tommy

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

I'm genuinely curious as to why Tommy gets crapped on so much by some fans, as he seems like a good dude. Is it because he's in Ace's makeup (which probably wasn't his choice)? Because he's boring? Because he likes Rice Krispies instead of Cheerios? And if it's a makeup issue, then why doesn't Eric get the same amount of crap from people?
Julien
Whee Wan

Re: Curious About the Dislike for Tommy

Post by Julien »

Dunno. Tommy's a good guy and decent guitarist who fills the role his employers specified. If it wasn't him, it'd be someone else, so best for it to be someone who's been around the band's orbit and respects their history.

Eric didn't get a pass from some in 2001. But, I think he takes less heat having been a member of the band in the unmasked era, getting booted for the reunion, and then re-drafted. His connections to Sabbath and Alice certainly carry more clout than Harlow, Doro, and Black 'N' Blue.

Some might have been happy if KISS ended in 2001. I'm glad they didn't.
ohiostate98
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by ohiostate98 »

He’s boring, in my opinion, and these days that works for KISS.
ZachAttack
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by ZachAttack »

Its because he just imitates Ace's playing. Eric Singer at least doesn't play identical to Peter (even though he's clearly dumbed down his drumming), he has his own style.

That and he has the personality of a block of wood.
Marty Scurll
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Marty Scurll »

Tommy takes the brunt of GAPs decision. Too bad as it's not his fault but he's cashing some good checks and living large off of what Ace came up with so it's not a good look to some including myself. But if it doesn't bother Ace then why should it bother me? I'm just a fan that doesn't agree with that approach so I vote with my $. But he seems like a good and decent guy.
B5Erik
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Location: www.VistaRecords.us & Vista Records Radio on YouTube

Post by B5Erik »

I like Tommy. He's a great guy and a good guitar player. He plays the parts the way they should be played.

And he's certainly a hell of a lot more animated on stage than Ace has been since the 70's.
67Kiss
Ready to sing Shock Me!
Ready to sing Shock Me!

Post by 67Kiss »

I've been a fan since 1975 and I love Ace but I don't have a problem with Tommy. He seems like a good guy and he's just doing what Paul tells him.
His Majesty

Post by His Majesty »

Rich Little just wasn't as beloved as Johnny Carson/Jimmy Stewart/John Wayne/Etc.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

It’s not Tommy’s fault - it’s Gene & Paul’s fault for not spending the time & Money to find a legitimate replacement for Ace.
Or they could have just been honest about the Farewell and then came back 5-6 years later and said they wanted to tour again.
spiritof76
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by spiritof76 »

Thayer is dull. Bland. Unoriginal. Yes the whole make up thing does not help him, but when SB came out and he just copped old Ace licks and patched them together, it showed he brings nothing to the table.

I can argue Singer is a good drummer, although to be honest he bores the hell out of me. He is one of those guys who you know has chops, he just does not show it.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Thayer, I reckon, is one of the cooler people to pass through the ranks of Kiss.

He's stepped (literally) into the shoes of a legend, and taken the full force of the wrath of some sections of the Kiss Army with a shrug and a smile, all the while being ALWAYS respectful to his predecessor (despite many insults being thrown the other way).

He's taken the brunt of some pretty harsh attacks - when he doesn't speak up in interviews, he's a "lapdog", but when he does, it quickly become "who the fuck does this guy think he is".

Thayer is respectful to his employers, respects the legacy, and respects the fans AND their opinions. I remember one of the first interviews with him once he had joined the band where he said "I'm playing a role and I aim to do it justice".

While people mock him - for decades in some instances - he continues to roll on, not being an asshole and picking up a series of great big fat checks along the way, never rising to the fucking huge amount of bait thrown his way.

....which is pretty fucking cool, when you think about it.
spiritof76
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by spiritof76 »

TheSpoiler wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:07 pm Thayer, I reckon, is one of the cooler people to pass through the ranks of Kiss.

He's stepped (literally) into the shoes of a legend, and taken the full force of the wrath of some sections of the Kiss Army with a shrug and a smile, all the while being ALWAYS respectful to his predecessor (despite many insults being thrown the other way).

He's taken the brunt of some pretty harsh attacks - when he doesn't speak up in interviews, he's a "lapdog", but when he does, it quickly become "who the fuck does this guy think he is".

Thayer is respectful to his employers, respects the legacy, and respects the fans AND their opinions. I remember one of the first interviews with him once he had joined the band where he said "I'm playing a role and I aim to do it justice".

While people mock him - for decades in some instances - he continues to roll on, not being an asshole and picking up a series of great big fat checks along the way, never rising to the fucking huge amount of bait thrown his way.

He has done well for himself. Made some good coin, and by all accounts seems a good guy.

A year after Kiss stops, his name will be forgotten, if it is remembered already.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

spiritof76 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:09 pm
TheSpoiler wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:07 pm Thayer, I reckon, is one of the cooler people to pass through the ranks of Kiss.

He has done well for himself. Made some good coin, and by all accounts seems a good guy.

A year after Kiss stops, his name will be forgotten, if it is remembered already.
True, but it won't matter - including, I suspect, to him.

Good to see you man, hope you and yours are well.
spiritof76
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by spiritof76 »

TheSpoiler wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:13 pm
spiritof76 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:09 pm

True, but it won't matter - including, I suspect, to him.

Good to see you man, hope you and yours are well.
Everyone is good, hope you are too.

It does not appear to matter to him. It used to bother me. It really doesn't anymore. I don't go see them so I don't care who dresses as Ace. He just has not done a thing creatively I can look at and respect.
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

Whoa, I thought I entered a time warp and went back years on the Faq for a second.

While I don't think people's minds have changed about Tommy pro or con, I'd say raising a big stink about the Tommy thing has definitely leveled off on the Faq in recent times, no? Again I don't think anyone's mind has changed, but making Tommy in Ace's makeup (I know, see what I did there) a big focal point is definitely not even close to how it used to be. So yes pro or con, and especially with the end of Kiss near, I think people have gotten a bit used to the Tommy situation.

BTW more people dislike the situation with the makeup rather than Tommy himself, who seems like a decent, chill guy and a good employee (smart guy, that's why he has the gig for 20 years).
Last edited by redinthesky on Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohiostate98
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by ohiostate98 »

redinthesky wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:21 pm Whoa, I thought I entered a time warp and went back years on the Faq for a second.

While I don't think people's minds have changed about Tommy pro or con, I'd say raising a big stink about the Tommy thing has definitely leveled off on the Faq in recent times, no? Again I don't think anyone's mind has changed, but making Tommy in Ace's makeup (I know, see what I did there) a big focal point is definitely not even close to how it used to be. So yes pro or con, and especially with the end of Kiss near, I think people have gotten a bit used to the Tommy situation.
Well said, Red.
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

I stopped reading here. You can’t be serious man. :lol:
redinthesky

Post by redinthesky »

TwistedTaste wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:27 pm
When it comes to general basic demeanor and the way Tommy has always carried himself, Spoiler is probably right.
kwf484
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by kwf484 »

Nobody pays to see Tommy. At least if Ace was back he could sing a few songs to let the smoothing pedal cool off...
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

redinthesky wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:31 pm
When it comes to general basic demeanor and the way Tommy has always carried himself, Spoiler is probably right.
Eh. You guys are nuts.
Tommy knows the position he is in and almost HAS to play the good guy role. Otherwise he would REALLY be despised.

The only way he could come off with any “fuk it” attitude would be for him to be some kind of gun slinger on guitar and that just isn’t the case.
mike115
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by mike115 »

Would anyone get a pass using the make up Ace sold his rights to?
cowboytoast
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by cowboytoast »

Tommy is a nice guy and a "yes man" - he does what he is told - he doesn't rock the boat - he isn't creative and he doesn't bring anything to the table other than showing up on time and playing Ace's solos and dressing up like him- so in essence he is boring- Dullsville- he doesn't push the band or inspire them - and if Ace were to come back he would still have his gig as the gopher - he could cut his hair again and wear penny loafers -

The clip of Ace (i think in 2001) where he starts playing stuff off the cuff and glares at Gene & Paul while they struggle to follow him - and Singer is even happy and inspired and playing his ass off during those impromptu jams - that can't be replaced - Ace is a an unpredictable, yet - lovable drunken prick - no matter how mad they get at him they always run back to him somehow for something - whether to show up at Vault appearances (to boost ticket sales) or for Paul to sing on his solo album-

Tommy Thayer is like if you wanted a KISS doll for Christmas and didn't get it - so you tried to paint up your sister's Ken doll like Ace

It just kinda sucks

But I'm sure he's a nice fella
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

Thayer got into the band by being a company man and painting houses and clearing Paul’s gutter, not by being a legitimate musician who deserved the gig. That’s a big part of it. Does he deserve to be involved with the organisation and to edit the videos and book the hotels for conventions? Sure. Does he deserve to be the lead guitarist? That’s debatable.
GACatmandu
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by GACatmandu »

My problem with Tommy has nothing to do with the makeup at all. My problem with Tommy is the guy's guitar playing he has no style of his own, just plays the shit just like what's on the records like a teenager would do the first could of years they are learning to play. Tommy's playing is boring, is mechanical, and has no style at all.
battra

Post by battra »

No hate for Tommy here. He got a good job offer and he took it.

I dislike what he’s been told to do.

I’d feel the same about anyone else and I don’t blame him for taking it.
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

cowboytoast wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:46 pm
Tommy Thayer is like if you wanted a KISS doll for Christmas and didn't get it - so you tried to paint up your sister's Ken doll like Ace
Lol
Dr Borgo
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Dr Borgo »

Tommy is probably a nice guy but he has no swagger, no personality, no personal style etc. Boring as shit.
Choose_One
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Choose_One »

He plays Ace’s solos note for note, but without any of the feel. The guy used to clean Gene’s. gutters for fucks sake.
With Singer, you get the feeling he feels a little awkward Wearing Peter’s makeup , but he was part of unmasked Kiss, played on Revenge and Unplugged. Thayer is a chancer that got lucky.
redinthesky

Post by redinthesky »

Tommy is a nice guy and a "yes man" - he does what he is told - he doesn't rock the boat - he isn't creative and he doesn't bring anything to the table other than showing up on time and playing Ace's solos and dressing up like him- so in essence he is boring- Dullsville- he doesn't push the band or inspire them - and if Ace were to come back he would still have his gig as the gopher - he could cut his hair again and wear penny loafers -

The clip of Ace (i think in 2001) where he starts playing stuff off the cuff and glares at Gene & Paul while they struggle to follow him - and Singer is even happy and inspired and playing his ass off during those impromptu jams - that can't be replaced - Ace is a an unpredictable, yet - lovable drunken prick - no matter how mad they get at him they always run back to him somehow for something - whether to show up at Vault appearances (to boost ticket sales) or for Paul to sing on his solo album-

It just kinda sucks

But I'm sure he's a nice fella
I agree with your points, that's why I specified Tommy's demeanor and the way he carries himself. I'm not a fan of him as a player.
Marty Scurll
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Marty Scurll »

alanrosembung wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:07 pm
Lol
Yeah,that’s a great analogy!👍
BagBoy
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by BagBoy »

Tommy is awesome! Do I wish it was Ace or Bruce back in the band? Yeah, but that isn’t a dig at Tommy. Grateful for all he has brought to the band. Between him and Eric, I don’t think we would’ve had the longevity we have, or the various songs put into the set over the time they have been in the group.
peopleselbow
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by peopleselbow »

Tommy Thayer saved KISS - FIGHT ME
Hipster1
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by Hipster1 »

BagBoy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:25 pm Tommy is awesome! Do I wish it was Ace or Bruce back in the band? Yeah, but that isn’t a dig at Tommy. Grateful for all he has brought to the band. Between him and Eric, I don’t think we would’ve had the longevity we have, or the various songs put into the set over the time they have been in the group.
I agree ..just amazed that so many people here know sooo much , judge sooo harsh and are so quick to judge …I only wish we could judge them…must be easy to know everything - pass judgement on everyone …we must be surround by Titans of industry - or 50k a year millionaire’s ????..lol …must be easy to be judge & jury ..what are about you… how’s that life? Wife…one or many? Bank account? Savings? Credit-Debt? Education? Job? Kids - educated - clean ….I’d love to dig into some of you …It’s so easy to take pop shoots from the rafters? Why all the hate??? Life is way toooooo short to be on Kiss site and complain all the time …amazing …why waste your time here????
TwistedTaste
Banned
Banned

Post by TwistedTaste »

peopleselbow wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:00 pm Tommy Thayer saved KISS - FIGHT ME
Kiss can’t be KISS with Tommy. Case closed.
Marty Scurll
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by Marty Scurll »

Hipster1 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:15 pm
BagBoy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:25 pm Tommy is awesome! Do I wish it was Ace or Bruce back in the band? Yeah, but that isn’t a dig at Tommy. Grateful for all he has brought to the band. Between him and Eric, I don’t think we would’ve had the longevity we have, or the various songs put into the set over the time they have been in the group.
I agree ..just amazed that so many people here know sooo much , judge sooo harsh and are so quick to judge …I only wish we could judge them…must be easy to know everything - pass judgement on everyone …we must be surround by Titans of industry - or 50k a year millionaire’s ????..lol …must be easy to be judge & jury ..what are about you… how’s that life? Wife…one or many? Bank account? Savings? Credit-Debt? Education? Job? Kids - educated - clean ….I’d love to dig into some of you …It’s so easy to take pop shoots from the rafters? Why all the hate??? Life is way toooooo short to be on Kiss site and complain all the time …amazing …why waste your time here????
Got Valium?
Andy Capp

Post by Andy Capp »

old Andy really likes Tommy---- says he always has.... and he doesn't hold anything against Tommy for wearing Ace` makeup because it was not Tommy's decision----
PsychoElder

Post by PsychoElder »

Tommy is ok in my book, no issues with him.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

He was a boring as hell guitarist and lacked any charisma, swagger or soul in Black N' Blue. Thayer brought exactly that to KISS and doesn't elevate the band at all, but is now pretending to be Ace Frehley on top of that.

I think it is very telling that Tommy really couldn't make a living as a guitarist and had to find other ways to make an income. He was not going to be on anyone's list as a replacement guitarist ala Ozzy, DLR, Whitesnake, Dio, etc.

How nice someone may be or that they do what they are told is irrelevant to me. Truth be told, conflict often produces the best results when it comes to creativity.
Eddie Van Hazel

Post by Eddie Van Hazel »

I have no problem with Tommy. I think he does a great job.

Keeping my fingers crossed that his Meet and Greet guitar event tour comes through my way.
Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Eddie Van Hazel wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:46 pm I have no problem with Tommy. I think he does a great job.

Keeping my fingers crossed that his Meet and Greet guitar event tour comes through my way.
My thoughts, exactly!
muddfoot
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by muddfoot »

Tommy’s fine

People just want the OG members…that’s all

Personally I want a show with EVERY living member
d4nugster
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by d4nugster »

it's always been the make up issue for me. no problem with him as a person but i always felt that him being the spaceman was disrespectful to what they tried so hard to put forth at the beginning.
rwgriffith
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by rwgriffith »

I wish they had created new character for Singer & Thayer, but I don't put any blame toward them as we all know Gene and Paul call the shots. I've kinda grown used to it now.
awawaw
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by awawaw »

The problem with peoples opinions about Tommy and Eric is that they just don't seem to understand what Kiss is about these days and who makes the decisions. If you have been a fan since the 70's or even 80's you should by now know how things work and why things are the way they are.
RiverCitySlim
Welcome To The Show!
Welcome To The Show!

Post by RiverCitySlim »

The shape of his head doesn't suit the make up. Just looks weird.
70skid

Post by 70skid »

Tommy is a good and loyal employee. There can be no question of that.

Some of us don’t agree with what passes for KISS after the Farewell Tour. To each his own.
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

TwistedTaste wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:18 pm
peopleselbow wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:00 pm Tommy Thayer saved KISS - FIGHT ME
Kiss can’t be KISS with Tommy. Case closed.
Total crap. I could name a dozen hired gun type guys who could have stepped in and worn the makeup and played the lead guitar.

Thayer is doing nothing that any experienced pro touring musician couldn’t do.

… except mangle all of Bruce and Vinnie’s solos.
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

Imagine someone of this calibre joining.

joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

KISS/G&P are the cheating, smokin' hot wife.
CosThayer is the poolboy that slept with her.

I don't blame CosThayer one bit for getting in bed with the hot wife. I get it...and it's totally the wife who's to blame here.

All the same, I still don't like or respect the fuckin' poolboy...
Last edited by joma5477 on Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soylent Gene

Post by Soylent Gene »

He’s just ok and that’s just not good enough. There were plenty of tribute Ace guys out there at the time that looked better, played better and definitely acted the part better.