PAUL STANLEY Says Current KISS Band Is 'Much More Consistent' Than Original Lineup

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Tito
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Re: PAUL STANLEY Says Current KISS Band Is 'Much More Consistent' Than Original Lineup

Post by Tito »

scottbassist wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:49 am I mean, what current wife in her right mind wants her husband to sit around and complain endlessly about his ex-wife?
What would be clear to everyone in that scenario is that the ex-wife was the one that mattered.
scottbassist
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Re: PAUL STANLEY Says Current KISS Band Is 'Much More Consistent' Than Original Lineup

Post by scottbassist »

Kiss-Army-Sergeant wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:24 pm Paul needs to spend more time with Tommy in taking the high road when the topic of former band members comes up. Say what you want about Tommy, but he never says anything bad about his predecessors.
True. In a 2009 interview promoting Kiss’ Alive 35 Tour concert in North Little Rock, Tommy said he missed Ace and Peter. And Tommy was sincere. Tommy’s a class act when it comes to being a human being.
Kiss-Army-Sergeant
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Kiss-Army-Sergeant »

[/quote]
True. In a 2009 interview promoting Kiss’ Alive 35 Tour concert in North Little Rock, Tommy said he missed Ace and Peter. And Tommy was sincere. Tommy’s a class act when it comes to being a human being.
[/quote]
Agree. As much as he annoys me with his whole copying of Ace and with his robotic like performances, Tommy seems to be a stand-up human being who gives a lot back to charities and who always takes the high road.
vantheman77
Ready to sing Beth!
Ready to sing Beth!

Post by vantheman77 »

I wonder if he felt the same way about the other lineups:
Stanley/ Simmons/ Kulick/ Carr
Stanley/ Simmons/ Kulick/ Singer
atowntommy
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by atowntommy »

So Cruel wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:38 am Delusional. Absolutely delusional. Saw the current lineup once (2010) and it was by far the worst Kiss show I’ve seen (started in 1984).
Does that include Aerosmith tour? I think that was the worst lineup the band ever presented.
OHKISSFAN
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by OHKISSFAN »

Paul's not wrong here.
Bubba
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Bubba »

Fair Comment.
70skid

Post by 70skid »

The KISS Corporate Band is a hollow, lifeless shell of what once was. Consistently dull…..playing for the suckers who keep enough $ flowing to make it worthwhile.
70skid

Post by 70skid »

vantheman77 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:55 pm I wonder if he felt the same way about the other lineups:
Stanley/ Simmons/ Kulick/ Carr
Stanley/ Simmons/ Kulick/ Singer
Tommy and Eric S are the yes-men that Paul always wanted.
d4nugster
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by d4nugster »

yes, they've been a consistent by the numbers band for quite some time now. boring, predictable with any danger long gone.
Tail of a hurricane

Post by Tail of a hurricane »

He says this about every line up
sicksickphil

Post by sicksickphil »

'We're Always In Sync With Each Other'

they better be, since they are playing to tracks
Wichita77
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Wichita77 »

70skid wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:12 pm The KISS Corporate Band is a hollow, lifeless shell of what once was. Consistently dull…..playing for the suckers who keep enough $ flowing to make it worthwhile.
A "sucker", by definition, is a "gullible or easily deceived' person, of which I am neither.

I have been going to KISS concerts since 1977 and have been fully aware of the band's increasing shortcomings along the way. They still deliver on the stage show however, and I happen to enjoy hearing my favorite band's music at concert volume levels. This is especially good when I go with like-minded friends and family who want to have this kind of experience while we still can.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but your need to insult people who still remember how to have a good time is just kind of sad.
Diss

Post by Diss »

"Kiss Korporate" is a great description of the current soulless lineup. Yes, they are consistent. Consistently dull and uninspiring. People should not make the mistake of putting Ace and Peter on some great pedastal; they were utter dicks at times, and I completely sympathize with what Gene and Paul went through with them. But they NEEDED that balance to make a GREAT rock and roll band. Yeah, I know, "What's Paul supposed to say?" How about just shut up and lip synch "Love Gun."
nibbler1982
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!
Nearly as many posts as KISS compilations!

Post by nibbler1982 »

Wichita77 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:58 am
70skid wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:12 pm The KISS Corporate Band is a hollow, lifeless shell of what once was. Consistently dull…..playing for the suckers who keep enough $ flowing to make it worthwhile.
A "sucker", by definition, is a "gullible or easily deceived' person, of which I am neither.

I have been going to KISS concerts since 1977 and have been fully aware of the band's increasing shortcomings along the way. They still deliver on the stage show however, and I happen to enjoy hearing my favorite band's music at concert volume levels. This is especially good when I go with like-minded friends and family who want to have this kind of experience while we still can.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but your need to insult people who still remember how to have a good time is just kind of sad.
“My opinion is right and those that disagree have something wrong with them.”

Forgive him.

It’s how he justifies his existence.
70skid

Post by 70skid »

nibbler1982 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:20 am

Forgive him.

What is there to disagree about ? The Corporation today fields a faux version of KISS and it works financially. They figured out that the business of KISS could continue with imposters and a mix of people (diehards / casuals / hard rock nostalgists) would keep coming. This is probably the Sorta The End Of The Road Tour as long as the money keeps rolling in. Anybody who comes expecting to see and hear the real KISS is a sucker. Those with lower or realistic expectations….not suckers. Either way….KISS Corp makes big money. Enjoy the show.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

70skid wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:44 pm
nibbler1982 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:20 am

Forgive him.

What is there to disagree about ? The Corporation today fields a faux version of KISS and it works financially. They figured out that the business of KISS could continue with imposters and a mix of people (diehards / casuals / hard rock nostalgists) would keep coming. This is probably the Sorta The End Of The Road Tour as long as the money keeps rolling in. Anybody who comes expecting to see and hear the real KISS is a sucker. Those with lower or realistic expectations….not suckers. Either way….KISS Corp makes big money. Enjoy the show.
You are correct.

Some KISS fans just don't want to live in a world without KISS still being active. So they will continue to lower their standards and happily join KISS as they continue driving the band into the fucking ground.
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

Yeah but that’s only ten percent of the people that go though. The 90 don’t know anything about fake replacements or lip synching band only know four or five songs. They’re driving the machine. KISS stopped caring about their actual fanbase (ie people who have all the albums) in 1997. Casuals are were the money is at baby.
Goodwilltowardsall
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Goodwilltowardsall »

alanrosembung wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:33 pm Yeah but that’s only ten percent of the people that go though. The 90 don’t know anything about fake replacements or lip synching band only know four or five songs. They’re driving the machine. KISS stopped caring about their actual fanbase (ie people who have all the albums) in 1997. Casuals are were the money is at baby.
I think KISS has made a nice bundle from the generous financial support from the diehard folks on the FAQ who snap up pretty much every product out there for their collections (colored vinyl releases and all of those soundboard recordings will rake in some nice bucks and have low overhead costs), but I get your point about the really big bucks. Consistency is important to big retail outlets like McDonalds, Burger King, and KISS.
Love Gum
Banned
Banned

Post by Love Gum »

So Cruel wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:38 am Delusional. Absolutely delusional. Saw the current lineup once (2010) and it was by far the worst Kiss show I’ve seen (started in 1984).
Exactly the same here!

I love how Paul acts as if "consistent" is synonymous with "good" or "quality". It merely means "predictable". You know what else is *incredibly* consistent? Paul's singing and songwriting over the past 38 years: Consistent Total Shit.
aceeg

Post by aceeg »

The band sounded tighter more energetic on the reunion, PC, Farwell tour’s what is Paul talking about?
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

aceeg wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:41 am The band sounded tighter more energetic on the reunion, PC, Farwell tour’s
:lol: No.
Coventry1973
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Coventry1973 »

I'm a bit late to the party on this but I'd rather have "feel" and "groove" then consistent and boring and no feel any day of the week
Revenge 92
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Revenge 92 »

Coventry1973 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:10 am I'm a bit late to the party on this but I'd rather have "feel" and "groove" then consistent and boring and no feel any day of the week
Agreed! I can hear on the Off Soundboard record that Ace has more mistakes than Thayer does, and I knew that already, but I rather hear that.

Talking about consistent, a pre-recording is very consistent indeed. :D
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

TheSpoiler wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:26 am
aceeg wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:41 am The band sounded tighter more energetic on the reunion, PC, Farwell tour’s

They absolutely sound better here with two guys who supposedly couldn’t play than they did in 2020 with two guys who could. Why is that do you think?
Spiritual_Chaos

Post by Spiritual_Chaos »

I understand where Paul is coming from. Just bearing a huge tour on your shoulders looking at all the shows ahead of you and not wanting headaces and be miserable - ofc you want consistency.

Being rock and roll is something they are way over. It's a theatre play - same show every night. Going through the motions.
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

From the pit :

Remember when Gene and Paul used to move around?

Last edited by alanrosembung on Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

alanrosembung wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:17 am
TheSpoiler wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:26 am

They absolutely sound better here with two guys who supposedly couldn’t play than they did in 2020 with two guys who could. Why is that do you think?
You changed the videos.

I'll see your Clarkston (or your Buffalo, whatever) and raise you one Donington 1996. Somebody broke the drummer.

As Paul said - consistency. Playing like shit isn't "rock and roll".
steve

Post by steve »

TheSpoiler wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:24 am
People cheered for that? Jesus H Christ in a fart powered gyrocopter. Paul was right about listening with your eyes.
criss75
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by criss75 »

Consistent but boring. Professional and safe.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

steve wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:49 am
People cheered for that? Jesus H Christ in a fart powered gyrocopter. Paul was right about listening with your eyes.
Indeed they did cheer. Possibly because of being caught up in the hype/emotion of the moment. But musical excellence it was not. Not even average. The drums, right there - we all can hear - are crap. And there is fuck all "rock and roll" about that.
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

TheSpoiler wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:14 am
Indeed they did cheer. Possibly because of being caught up in the hype/emotion of the moment. But musical excellence it was not. Not even average. The drums, right there - we all can hear - are crap. And there is fuck all "rock and roll" about that.
This isn't my battle...but I'm confused. Yes, the drums are off and far from one of Peter's better performances...but the song as a whole still sounds 100 times better than the shit they roll out there today, whether they're using real vocals or the taped ones. If we're comparing the drums, sure, today wins. If we're comparing the whole package, though...this blows away today. If I wasn't listening for the fuckups, I could maybe overlook them in a single listen. You can't overlook Paul's horrendous vocals, though. The sound is better because it's in the right key, the vocals are worlds better, the energy is better, and the band actually looks like KISS instead of a tribute band with an elaborate stage show. The only one that still looks right is Paul, and he sounds worse than any member has ever sounded.

I was expecting a total train wreck based on the comments. Instead it was just not very good...as opposed to modern day KISS which is unlistenable.
TwistedTaste
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by TwistedTaste »

joma5477 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:58 am
This isn't my battle...but I'm confused. Yes, the drums are off and far from one of Peter's better performances...but the song as a whole still sounds 100 times better than the shit they roll out there today, whether they're using real vocals or the taped ones. If we're comparing the drums, sure, today wins. If we're comparing the whole package, though...this blows away today. If I wasn't listening for the fuckups, I could maybe overlook them in a single listen. You can't overlook Paul's horrendous vocals, though. The sound is better because it's in the right key, the vocals are worlds better, the energy is better, and the band actually looks like KISS instead of a tribute band with an elaborate stage show. The only one that still looks right is Paul, and he sounds worse than any member has ever sounded.

I was expecting a total train wreck based on the comments. Instead it was just not very good...as opposed to modern day KISS which is unlistenable.
Yep. Take away all the lights and smoke and fire and spiders and drum pads in the lighting grid and there is no comparison between the reunion era and the stuff they’ve been rolling out the past decade. IMO you need Ace & Peter there to help counter Paul’s embarrassing shtick of sucking on his fingers and making out with himself. Not to mention Gene just stands in one place. No comparison. And I won’t go into backing tracks.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

Exactly.

For better or worse, any original/classic line up is going to be preferred by the masses over a tribute of that same thing, especially this late in the game for Paul and Gene.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Original era fans prefer the original era band. Big shock there. :lol:

If we're now bringing ENERGY into the equation, you guys must really approve of the Creatures, LIU, Animalize and Revenge eras. Energy levels were the highest they've ever been on those.

As we're comparing, let's put Essen 1983 against Nurburgring 1996 in terms of playing ability, tightness and energy.

I'm kidding of course, because if there's one thing the reunited Kiss were not, it's energetic. :lol:
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

I'll respectfully disagree. I was at Donington 96, and it was musically the weakest I've ever heard them, with the exception of London on the PC Tour. That was a fucking bored and fucking boring band.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:21 am Original era fans prefer the original era band. Big shock there. :lol:

If we're now bringing ENERGY into the equation, you guys must really approve of the Creatures, LIU, Animalize and Revenge eras. Energy levels were the highest they've ever been on those.

As we're comparing, let's put Essen 1983 against Nurburgring 1996 in terms of playing ability, tightness and energy.

I'm kidding of course, because if there's one thing the reunited Kiss were not, it's energetic. :lol:
I LOVE the Creatures, LIU and Revenge eras. You see I can love many things at the same time - original era and what came after, but KISS is a total shit show now. That is the difference.

You can't get any lower or more pathetic than lip synching and playing to a tape - while two other guys pretend to be Ace Frehley and Peter Criss.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Shitshow? Of course it isn't. If any criticism can be levied at EOTR, its that the show is the same every night. Yes, the fact that Paul is lip synching sucks, but I can't get upset about "impersonators" mainly because I'm an adult.
joma5477
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by joma5477 »

TheSpoiler wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:21 am Original era fans prefer the original era band. Big shock there. :lol:

I approve of all those lineups. The only lineups I don't approve of are the cosplay era lineups.

Compared to the current band, the reunion band was energetic. It certainly wasn't 1975, but it wasn't the lifeless band it is today. I don't know if they tell CosThayer to be lifeless in order to not show up Gene, but neither of those two move. Paul sort of does still, but sounds like absolute ass. The only thing worse than using tapes is using BAD tapes...
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:34 am Shitshow? Of course it isn't. If any criticism can be levied at EOTR, its that the show is the same every night. Yes, the fact that Paul is lip synching sucks, but I can't get upset about "impersonators" mainly because I'm an adult.
Of course it is. If you have to lip snych and play to a tape - you have hit rock bottom as a band.

Funny enough, KISS fans would have never accepted the idea of what they are doing now in years past, but once it happened - some fans lowered their standards and completely folded on their original stance, because as supposed adults - they don't want to live in a world without a KISS show that can still attend.
acesmiddlefinger

Post by acesmiddlefinger »

Ah Donington 96, blimey it was hot that day. Paul was the MVP of this line up,.Sadly as Spoiler says by the time the Circus came to town Paul was worn out and the Wembley show was a train wreck.
It must have been a nightmare working with Ace and Peter but it allowed the band to continue. Paul and Gene have always been the constants in the band but they know its almost over.
I just never understood why they can't all get on. Why they feel the need to belittle each other is beyond me. They made some amazing memories together, probably a few bad ones to, but just let it go. Enough already, finish the tour and stop trying to drag the legend into the ground with the name calling.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Grand Classic wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:39 am
TheSpoiler wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:34 am Shitshow? Of course it isn't. If any criticism can be levied at EOTR, its that the show is the same every night. Yes, the fact that Paul is lip synching sucks, but I can't get upset about "impersonators" mainly because I'm an adult.
Of course it is. If you have to lip snych and play to a tape - you have hit rock bottom as a band.

Funny enough, KISS fans would have never accepted the idea of what they are doing now in years past, but once it happened - some fans lowered their standards and completely folded on their original stance, because as supposed adults - they don't want to live in a world without a KISS show that can still attend.
Yes, how dare they find some nostalgia based pleasure in the world. You should make it your mission to enlighten them, and liberate them from that enjoyment.

Ffs. What a fucking misery.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:46 am

Yes, how dare they find some nostalgia based pleasure in the world. You should make it your mission to enlighten them, and liberate them from that enjoyment.

Yes, they should be adults as you said and accept that nothing lasts forever, instead of trying to desperately be 12 years old forever to the point that they are willing to remove all standards and accept literally anything as long as they can still sing along to Rock And Roll All Nite at a KISS show.

You can enjoy all the nostalgia you want - with the albums and 50 years of concert footage. You don't need nostalgia at the expense of KISS being driven into the fucking ground now.
Last edited by Grand Classic on Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
cowboytoast
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by cowboytoast »

They consistently KISS his ass - that's about it
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Grand Classic wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:50 am

Yes, they should be adults as you said and accept that nothing lasts forever, instead of trying to desperately be 12 years old forever to the point that they are willing to remove all standards and accept literally anything as long as they can still sing along to Rock And Roll All Nite at a KISS show.

You can enjoy all the nostalgia you want - with the albums and 50 years of concert footage. You don't need nostalgia at the expense of KISS being driven into the fucking ground now.
You're clearly opposed to the band now, going by the literally thousands of sneering putdowns you've delivered. But when you start to lecture people on what they should and shouldn't like about anything (let alone Kiss), it doesn't mean you're being objective and critical, it means you're a cock. Or maybe another word beginning with C that you seem to enjoy using in PM's.

Just stop watching and save us all your pious misery spreading, ffs.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:02 pm

You're clearly opposed to the band now, going by the literally thousands of sneering putdowns you've delivered. But when you start to lecture people on what they should and shouldn't like about anything (let alone Kiss), it doesn't mean you're being objective and critical, it means you're a cock. Or maybe another word beginning with C that you seem to enjoy using in PM's.

You can still be a fan of KISS and STILL acknowledge the uncomfortable truths about KISS. It is not mutually exclusive. For some like you, the truth hurts.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Grand Classic wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:13 pm

You can still be a fan of KISS and STILL acknowledge the uncomfortable truths about KISS. It is not mutually exclusive. For some like you, the truth hurts.
It really doesn't. You are the one offended by the reality of the situation. Happily for us all, your opinion doesn't matter any more than mine. The question is, can you cope with that? I don't think your arrogance will allow you. :lol:
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:22 pm

It really doesn't. You are the one offended by the reality of the situation. Happily for us all, your opinion doesn't matter any more than mine. The question is, can you cope with that? I don't think your arrogance will allow you. :lol:
Obviously it does hurt. You can't stop whining about how you want people to save you from having to read it.
TheSpoiler

Post by TheSpoiler »

Grand Classic wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:30 pm

Obviously it does hurt. You can't stop whining about how you want people to save you from having to read it.
I rest my case. What a dick.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

TheSpoiler wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:35 pm
Grand Classic wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:30 pm

I rest my case. What a dick.
You are well aware that many here think the same of you with your blatant hypocrisy.

Have a good day.