KISStory: Biography Trailer

The broadest possible category for KISS discussion. Everything to do with KISS and its members, past and present. Posts offering bootleg, pirate, or illegal items, or links to those items, will be deleted. Please refer to the Terms Of Service (TOS) for this site for maximum board experience. Should any post contain material that violates your copyright, please follow the instructions on the DMCA takedown notice page.
Di3go
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Re: KISStory: Biography Trailer

Post by Di3go »

Even has some seconds of the long lost I music video, thank god Curt Gooch digitized his U-Matic tape before menacing to burn it if he couldn't get a $5000 buyer when he did the auction.
Easy Catman
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Easy Catman »

firekiss wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:15 pm Wow. We're now blaming Paul and Gene for Ace and Peters addictions. We can put a lot of what went wrong on Gene and Paul but there are only 2 people to blame for Ace and Peters addictions and neither of them are Gene or Paul.
Not seen the documentary yet but are Ace and Peter responsible for Gene's sex and power addictions (whilst he was totally straight and sober) of course they are not, but I would hope the same focus will be placed on this within the context of what was actually happening at the time.

I agree Paul and Gene are not responsible for Ace's or Peters addictions and the same goes with Genes' addiction they were all adults but will the same investigative spotlight and comment/values/ be placed on his behaviour?

The 70's was a "decade of excess with different social values". Yes it was but who has still got the power now to control the story, to control what is said and more importantly what is not said.
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

thegraveyardtramp wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:10 pm Looks like some cool footage at least, I'll certainly watch it when it's available here in Australia. One thing I noticed in the trailer, in one of the vintage TV clips the voice-over was claiming KISS won the Gallup Poll 3 years running, is that true? I thought they only topped it once?
Correct. 77.

Also see

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... 77.336159/

Guy there says the poll was for the top band AMONGST 13-18 YEAR OLDS. Which is a pretty big caveat that should be mentioned, if it’s correct.
Last edited by alanrosembung on Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
missingdiver
Qualified to wear Ace's makeup!

Post by missingdiver »

thegraveyardtramp wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:10 pm Looks like some cool footage at least, I'll certainly watch it when it's available here in Australia. One thing I noticed in the trailer, in one of the vintage TV clips the voice-over was claiming KISS won the Gallup Poll 3 years running, is that true? I thought they only topped it once?
Yeah I thought it was just once in 1977? Trailer looks pretty cool..maybe I’ll watch it afterall. I remeber Gene talking about how hard it was as a beatles fan to hear the members taking shots at eachother in the press after they broke up...Paul and him can’t stop doing it now with Ace and Peter...go figure
thegraveyardtramp
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by thegraveyardtramp »

alanrosembung wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:29 pm
Correct. 77.

Also see

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... 77.336159/

Guy there says the poll was for the top band AMONGST 13-18 YEAR OLDS. Which is a pretty big caveat that should be mentioned, if it’s correct.
Yes, I was reading the thread about this yesterday. I remember believing all the hype when I was a kid but once I branched out and started enjoying other bands and reading up on them, it became clear that they were far from the most popular band in the US or the world, even at their peak years, at least in terms of record sales and concert tickets. In merch and exposure, KISS could claim that crown, but it was always obvious that the Gallup Poll result was based on surveying a younger crowd.
alanrosembung
Banned
Banned

Post by alanrosembung »

Here’s the article in question. It’s for teenagers.

Another KISS myth BUSTED.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2 ... 09,3060967

Last edited by alanrosembung on Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

Easy Catman wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:16 pm
firekiss wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:15 pm Wow. We're now blaming Paul and Gene for Ace and Peters addictions. We can put a lot of what went wrong on Gene and Paul but there are only 2 people to blame for Ace and Peters addictions and neither of them are Gene or Paul.
Not seen the documentary yet but are Ace and Peter responsible for Gene's sex and power addictions (whilst he was totally straight and sober) of course they are not, but I would hope the same focus will be placed on this within the context of what was actually happening at the time.

I agree Paul and Gene are not responsible for Ace's or Peters addictions and the same goes with Genes' addiction they were all adults but will the same investigative spotlight and comment/values/ be placed on his behaviour?

The 70's was a "decade of excess with different social values". Yes it was but who has still got the power now to control the story, to control what is said and more importantly what is not said.
I wasn't responding to anything in the doco, more some of the comments I've seen in this thread.

They all had their issues and are all accountable for what went down. But, as we've seen in the past, the narrative is controlled by two people and that's what we will hear.
thegraveyardtramp
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by thegraveyardtramp »

alanrosembung wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:49 pm Here’s the article in question. It’s for teenagers.

Another KISS myth BUSTED.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2 ... 09,3060967

Barely over 1,000 people surveyed, hardly a large cross-section of people.

Still, they won the poll, which earned them bragging rights I guess.
OHKISSFAN
Spends too much time FAQ'ing off!

Post by OHKISSFAN »

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

This looks great!

Can't wait to see it!

2 nights of KISStory = WIN!!!
razor
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by razor »

OHKISSFAN wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:04 pm :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

This looks great!

Can't wait to see it!

2 nights of KISStory = WIN!!!
true that should have been original trailer
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

You do realize that countless people self medicate in whatever way to help get them through the day because of their shitty life or their soul sucking job or whatever it is.

I have no doubt that Paul and Gene are unbearable to deal with in their own controlling way, so why would Ace and Peter be any different in finding self medicating ways to deal with their bullshit.

The same thing happened to Tommy Shaw - he was so unhappy in Styx during the Kilroy Was Here era, that he got heavy into drugs and alcohol to deal with it.
ejluther
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by ejluther »

Can’t wait to see this! I admire the 2 men who stuck it out, but also appreciate every member of the band and wish Ace & Peter had participated with new interviews. I know it’s easy for diehard KISS fans to think they know what it was like to be in KISS, but we don’t and never will. All we have is the perspectives of those involved. Why people are mad at P&G for sharing their stores, instead of A&P for not sharing their stories is beyond me.
redinthesky
Might as well be the Admin!
Might as well be the Admin!

Post by redinthesky »

Grand Classic wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:07 pm
You do realize that countless people self medicate in whatever way to help get them through the day because of their shitty life or their soul sucking job or whatever it is.

I have no doubt that Paul and Gene are unbearable to deal with in their own controlling way, so why would Ace and Peter be any different in finding self medicating ways to deal with their bullshit.

The same thing happened to Tommy Shaw - he was so unhappy in Styx during the Kilroy Was Here era, that he got heavy into drugs and alcohol to deal with it.
"I came up empty. I just couldn't think of songs about robots." - Tommy Shaw
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

redinthesky wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:17 pm

"I came up empty. I just couldn't think of songs about robots." - Tommy Shaw
Yep. :lol:

I suspect Ace couldn't come up with Lord Of The Rings type songs either and was frustrated as hell, because he probably would have really been inspired on an album like Creatures if they were doing something like that instead.
Tito

Post by Tito »

KissRocks7 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:43 pm Sorry I am not fully up on this.

That daytime outdoor footage in the trailer, what is the back story on that?
AceyAintInCharge wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:55 pm I don't believe I've ever seen that footage of the Outdoor Show from it looks like 1973. I wonder where that was.
It was a festival in St. Louis organised by local station KSHE on March 31, 1974, estimated to have been KISS' largest ever American crowd. We've seen photos (do a Google picture search for "kiss kshe kite fly") but never footage until now.
kisswah
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by kisswah »

TwistedTaste wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:29 pm So is the Lakeland 79 footage new?
That's what I was wondering. And Savannah 79 was mentioned as well. Couldn't find any clips online ...
From where are the scenes with Gene walking around in costume backstage and kissing a girl?
Wiseacre
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Wiseacre »

KissRocks7 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:43 pm Sorry I am not fully up on this.

That daytime outdoor footage in the trailer, what is the back story on that?
Pretty legendary in these parts. There was a great hard cover book on the history of KSHE 95 FM put out a few years ago which features a section on the 1st Kite Fly which was a big free music festival held here in Forest Park which is where our Zoo and museums are located. This was not long after the 1st album and they were virtually unknown. The book tells the story of one of the DJs driving the guys over the grassy hills in a van to the stage, etc. the photos have been around for years, but any footage was always a myth until this was hunted down. I was a bit stunned until I realized I was seeing footage and not the photos.

As I mentioned earlier, I know two people who were old enough to have been there (one was my band's sound an in the ‘90s and another was a co-worker about 20 years ago. I asked them both about it and neither were ever fans and didn’t remember much. No one knew KISS then and Marshall Tucker was the headliner, so you can image what most of the crowd were into. This may have been the biggest US crowd they ever played to but virtually no one was there to see KISS. It was a built in crowd.

St Louis and KSHE were big, early supporters of RUSH (like Detroit for KISS) and they played the 1976 festival, also documented in the book.

http://www.stlbook.com/

https://www.kshe95.com/galleries/kshe-k ... with-kiss/
Wiseacre
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by Wiseacre »

jetcity wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:54 pm
In the Suds wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:10 pm Kite Fly footage is pretty awesome.
Yep.

That was the result of 25 years of searching on my part. Seeing that was as about as fulfilling as any KISS-related find I've ever had. Glad everyone noticed it. (There's a bit more of it in night one of the doc.)
Bravo! Awesome. We thank you. 8)
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

I have no doubt that Gene and Paul are hard to work with. That doesn't put Ace and Peters addictions on them. It's also no reason to say that Gene and Paul allowed it to happen. Any self medicating is on Ace and Peter.
mrmajester
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by mrmajester »

Looks interesting, I don't pay much attention to P & G anymore, I'm only interested in old footage, my oh my, that Alive II promo film looks like it was made yesterday, wow. I've never seen that footage of Gene from '78 I'm guessing, with his long cape on, is that from the Fiorucci Party where he was photographed with Brooke Shields?
lord71

Post by lord71 »

Tito wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:04 am Paul and Gene are obsessed with shitting on the legacy of their own band. It's like they want to be remembered as the band who hated each other. Sad.
Yep. Even in that 2+minute clip. What was the core message? drugs and alcohol. How about thinking positively for a while?
razor
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by razor »

lord71 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:54 am
Tito wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:04 am Paul and Gene are obsessed with shitting on the legacy of their own band. It's like they want to be remembered as the band who hated each other. Sad.
Yep. Even in that 2+minute clip. What was the core message? drugs and alcohol. How about thinking positively for a while?
that would be asking to much and they were not perfect
Spiritual_Chaos

Post by Spiritual_Chaos »

People in here not understanding why a trailer would focus on the drama.

"Why do they need to show Thanos in the Avengers trailer! Why not just have the heroes hang around and celebrating how awesome they are!"
Tito

Post by Tito »

lord71 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:54 am How about thinking positively for a while?
I once read a book called Backstage Pass. Didn't do much for me but I would recommend it to Paul Stanley, he sure seems like someone who could use a few of the tips therein.
kisswah
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by kisswah »

Tito wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:17 am
lord71 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:54 am How about thinking positively for a while?
I once read a book called Backstage Pass. Didn't do much for me but I would recommend it to Paul Stanley, he sure seems like someone who could use a few of the tips therein.
Ha! ... or "ack!"
Mackemkiss

Post by Mackemkiss »

Spiritual_Chaos wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:15 am People in here not understanding why a trailer would focus on the drama.

"Why do they need to show Thanos in the Avengers trailer! Why not just have the heroes hang around and celebrating how awesome they are!"
Hardly the same thing.
If the Stones did one would they go on about Brian Jones?
Or Def Leppard would they be drama queens about Pete and Steve?
Do AC/DC tut-tut Bon's drinking which even resulted in his death or do they venerate him?
BC Witch
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by BC Witch »

Di3go wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:12 pm Even has some seconds of the long lost I music video, thank god Curt Gooch digitized his U-Matic tape before menacing to burn it if he couldn't get a $5000 buyer when he did the auction.
I remember when he appeared on the 3 Sides podcast and the line he and the guys on the show were giving was 'this is the ONLY copy in existence, if you own it Gene and Paul will have to come to YOU if they ever want to use it'. A few months later, after it had sold and appeared online (courtesy of a few of our fantastic fellow Faqers!), they changed tack to 'of course KISS has a copy of it in their archive, why would anyone think they didn't?'.

It was VERY strange.

I wonder who supplied the version used in the trailer?
AceTattoo
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by AceTattoo »

The trailer is typical TV… create drama to pull people in, to be fair , they never said in it that Ace and Peter were the problem.. we as die hards know that’s what they mean… but casual tv viewers don’t… they know of the spectacle that was kiss… they are aiming at non die hards as viewers.. they already know we will watch..

As yes more people will tune in because of the phenomenon known as kiss, all the stories you have heard since the 70’s…. Would people tune into watch a Metallica or Thin Lizzy doc this long if your not a fan? No… will they for KISS? Yes… they were pop culture.. they were more than just a rock band… how many people tuned into Family jewels that were not kiss fans .. the majority of the viewers actually.. so A&E are creating drama in the preview to draw in the viewers who just want to know Rock and roll dirt… They already know we will watch.. it’s not aimed at us
Phyllis Simmons

Post by Phyllis Simmons »

AceTattoo wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:39 am The trailer is typical TV… create drama to pull people in, to be fair , they never said in it that Ace and Peter were the problem.. we as die hards know that’s what they mean… but casual tv viewers don’t… they know of the spectacle that was kiss… they are aiming at non die hards as viewers.. they already know we will watch..

As yes more people will tune in because of the phenomenon known as kiss, all the stories you have heard since the 70’s…. Would people tune into watch a Metallica or Thin Lizzy doc this long if your not a fan? No… will they for KISS? Yes… they were pop culture.. they were more than just a rock band… how many people tuned into Family jewels that were not kiss fans .. the majority of the viewers actually.. so A&E are creating drama in the preview to draw in the viewers who just want to know Rock and roll dirt… They already know we will watch.. it’s not aimed at us
Fair points. We as the harder core know the story, and as the narrative in this doco plays out in the episodes, Ace and Peter will get their pasting. But yeah this is just for drama here to get the casuals and even non fans in. "Don't be surprised when that car drives off the cliff" Paul tells us. (with scary music playing :shock: ).

Not breaking my neck for this one; I'll get to it at some stage though I'm sure .
Spiritual_Chaos

Mackemkiss wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:59 am
Spiritual_Chaos wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:15 am People in here not understanding why a trailer would focus on the drama.

Hardly the same thing.
Do AC/DC tut-tut Bon's drinking which even resulted in his death or do they venerate him?
I could see there being Mick and Keith-drama in a Stones doc trailer.

But yes. I give you that. They could have gone with another angle than the "doomsday music and everything was to go to hell" one they picked.
Stanley! You look so cute
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by Stanley! You look so cute »

AceTattoo wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:39 am The trailer is typical TV… create drama to pull people in, to be fair , they never said in it that Ace and Peter were the problem.. we as die hards know that’s what they mean… but casual tv viewers don’t… they know of the spectacle that was kiss… they are aiming at non die hards as viewers.. they already know we will watch..

Yes, but it's every interview, not just this trailer.

Think about how badly they must have pushed Peter to his absolute limits to make him refuse the usage of Beth in this documentary. Peter is proud of that song, what it achieved and his People's Choice Award. Peter has led a dignified retirement and for his name to be dragged through the press continually, despite being sober for years, must have hurt him deeply. Think about it. His family and friends will constantly hear the rhetoric about what an irresponsible, drug addled mess Peter was, and it's simply not the truth.

His only way to hit back at G+P was to refuse usage of their most famous song, which must have been a really tough decision for Peter to make.

G+P are so fucking ruthless, they're worse than politicians. Just despicable, greedy, inauthentic, classless and dishonourable people.
Tito

Post by Tito »

Hardly the same thing.
Exactly. "The drama." :lol: The only drama in KISStory was Eric Carr's illness and passing.
Spiritual_Chaos

Tito wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:28 am

Hardly the same thing.
Exactly. "The drama." :lol: The only drama in KISStory was Eric Carr's illness and passing.
Oh, hey look - a person who doesn't know shit about storytelling.
TwistedTaste
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by TwistedTaste »

kisswah wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:13 am
TwistedTaste wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:29 pm So is the Lakeland 79 footage new?
That's what I was wondering. And Savannah 79 was mentioned as well. Couldn't find any clips online ...
From where are the scenes with Gene walking around in costume backstage and kissing a girl?
I thought the live shot of Ace throwing the pick out was new? Could be wrong
Tito

Post by Tito »

Spiritual_Chaos wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:56 am

Hardly the same thing.
Yes, no one understands or knows shit about anything but you, I know. Hang in there, it gets easier once you're out of your teens.
peterparker78
KISS Army Kadet
KISS Army Kadet

Post by peterparker78 »

Gotta say, the 'I' footage when the 'raw' clip was shown with timecodes, etc on '3-sides' I did think; "you know what, I've seen that somewhere before". Not just the pic of Ace on someone's shoulders at the end of the video which was in a magazine, but I had seen pretty much the entire video, likely on the internet somewhere....
mot$$33
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by mot$$33 »

Ace and Peter’s level of partying in the 70s is all perspective, I’d imagine. It looked like obscene to Paul and Gene, but wouldn’t have gotten a blink of the eye in early GnR.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

firekiss wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:19 am

I have no doubt that Gene and Paul are hard to work with. That doesn't put Ace and Peters addictions on them. It's also no reason to say that Gene and Paul allowed it to happen. Any self medicating is on Ace and Peter.
I think you are missing the point.
NYRockCity
2,000 Man, baby!
2,000 Man, baby!

Post by NYRockCity »

Cool trailer
mikeenc

Post by mikeenc »

The drama is what will make people watch, not thirty minutes on how they got a drum sound for a particular album or whatever. This documentary is not for the diehards, but that doesn’t mean it won’t be a fun watch.

I’m not as excited about the new footage because we still don’t know how much exists, if there is even sound with some of it, etc. I’ll get excited when full songs/shows turn up.
Di3go
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by Di3go »

BC Witch wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:03 am
Di3go wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:12 pm Even has some seconds of the long lost I music video, thank god Curt Gooch digitized his U-Matic tape before menacing to burn it if he couldn't get a $5000 buyer when he did the auction.
I remember when he appeared on the 3 Sides podcast and the line he and the guys on the show were giving was 'this is the ONLY copy in existence, if you own it Gene and Paul will have to come to YOU if they ever want to use it'. A few months later, after it had sold and appeared online (courtesy of a few of our fantastic fellow Faqers!), they changed tack to 'of course KISS has a copy of it in their archive, why would anyone think they didn't?'.

It was VERY strange.

I wonder who supplied the version used in the trailer?
Curt clearly digitized that copy before selling it, all those screen caps with watermarks, timecodes and even the teaser video that he uploaded for promote the auction didn't came through filming a TV screen.
He had claimed before that he has digitized copies of stuff that due to rights ownership of the masters he can't trade or do public exhibitions, such as the Paul Lynde Halloween Special master tape.
AceyAintInCharge
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by AceyAintInCharge »

Spiritual_Chaos wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:56 am

Hardly the same thing.
Some of us would just like a historical document. Others including yourself obviously would like to be told a story.
firekiss
Trained by Tommy!
Trained by Tommy!

Post by firekiss »

Grand Classic wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:50 am

No, I'm not.

Some people here are blaming Gene and Paul for Ace and Peters addictions. Some are also saying that Gene and Paul may have let it continue for their own personal gain.

Sorry, I dont believe that.

Yes, people self medicate everyday in all walks of life for varied reasons. Hell, in my profession and personal life I've seen it at its worst. Some can blame their situation, some cant.

In the case of Ace and Peter, I can't put it on Gene and Paul. If we're to believe their own words both had lifestyles that led them in that direction regardless of anything Paul or Gene did. I can't put it on them. You can? Good for you.

Now tell me again what point I've missed, other than not jumping on the Gene and Paul bashing bandwagon that's so prevalent at the FAQ these days. Fucktard.
kisswah
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by kisswah »

If at all, you missed the point of it being o.k. to have different opinions.

If you want to drive your point home try it with good arguments and not with anger and insults ...

Without the blame-game: What goes up must come down.
Last edited by kisswah on Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
TwistedTaste
Super Elite KISS Fan
Super Elite KISS Fan

Post by TwistedTaste »

firekiss wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:56 am

No, I'm not.

Some people here are blaming Gene and Paul for Ace and Peters addictions. Some are also saying that Gene and Paul may have let it continue for their own personal gain.

Yes, people self medicate everyday in all walks of life for varied reasons. Hell, in my profession and personal life I've seen it at its worst. Some can blame their situation, some cant.

In the case of Ace and Peter, I can't put it on Gene and Paul. If we're to believe their own words both had lifestyles that led them in that direction regardless of anything Paul or Gene did. I can't put it on them. You can? Good for you.

Now tell me again what point I've missed, other than not jumping on the Gene and Paul bashing bandwagon that's so prevalent at the FAQ these days. Fucktard.
Ace & Peter’s addictions did not derail the band. Although that is the narrative Gene & Paul have repeated to the fans for decades. That’s because Gene & Paul don’t want you to know it’s their own fault.

Ya know what derailed the band?
Paul & Gene craving more recognition from Rolling Stone, musical peers & Hollywood. They should have rejected KMTPOTP the second they saw the script. Paul forcing IWMFLY onto Dynasty and turning the fans away in droves. Paul & Gene turning out the turd that is Unmasked. Turning away the rest of the fans with it’s lightweight sound. & finally Gene & Paul 100% tanking the band with the Elder & trusting Ezrin who was totally in the throes of Cocaine addiction at the time.

Gene & Paul - the straight guys (in terms of drugs/alcohol) - blew it with their egos. Make no mistake. That’s what broke Kiss. They couldn’t be satisfied with their success. They had a tried and true formula and they blew it up do to their ego and insecurities.

Shoulda been happy/content with what they had.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

No, I'm not.

I am not saying Ace, Peter or even Tommy Shaw have no ownership in their self medicating because of their unhappy/frustrated experience in the bands they are in.

However clearly like someone who has a horrible boss making life unbearable for them in the real world - if Paul and Gene weren't such controlling fucking assholes and made being in KISS more enjoyable, I think the problems in the band would be GREATLY reduced and that includes the self medicating.

Consider this - by all accounts Eric Carr was the nicest guy in the world and even he couldn't take it anymore with Paul to the point that he wasn't talking to him - even when they were on tour together. I guess that is better than self medicating like Ace and Peter, but perhaps if they actually gave Eric what he wanted like they immediately gave to Tommy - being in KISS would have been a better experience for him.

Paul and Gene ARE that horrible fucking boss that make things a daily soul sucking life. Some like Bruce, Eric Singer and Tommy can deal with it simply by being yes men and just doing what the are told. Others like Ace, Peter, Vinnie and Eric Carr couldn't be that. They had their own expectations being in KISS and wanted those reasonable expectations to be met. They were not, because of Paul and Gene. So they dealt with that in the way that they did.

It is not Paul and Gene bashing. It is people just stating reality.
Doose

Post by Doose »

TwistedTaste wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:16 am

No, I'm not.

Ace & Peter’s addictions did not derail the band. Although that is the narrative Gene & Paul have repeated to the fans for decades. That’s because Gene & Paul don’t want you to know it’s their own fault.

Paul & Gene craving more recognition from Rolling Stone, musical peers & Hollywood. They should have rejected KMTPOTP the second they saw the script. Paul forcing IWMFLY onto Dynasty and turning the fans away in droves. Paul & Gene turning out the turd that is Unmasked. Turning away the rest of the fans with it’s lightweight sound. & finally Gene & Paul 100% tanking the band with the Elder & trusting Ezrin who was totally in the throes of Cocaine addiction at the time.

Gene & Paul - the straight guys (in terms of drugs/alcohol) - blew it with their egos. Make no mistake. That’s what broke Kiss. They couldn’t be satisfied with their success. They had a tried and true formula and they blew it up do to their ego and insecurities.

I'll disagree with this completely, not just with KISS, but as life advice. Anyone "happy" or "content" with what they have never achieves real success or greatness.

There's a reason Ace is playing car lots and glomming off his girlfriend, and there's a reason Peter complained he lost most of his Reunion fortune by 2001, but Gene and Paul are worth hundreds of millions and still going strong 25 years after the Reunion.

I think Gene and Paul would happily say it's their fault, because in the end, they won.
jetcity
Full KISS Army Member
Full KISS Army Member

Post by jetcity »

jetcity wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:04 pm
muzik_guy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:58 pm
In the Suds wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:10 pm Kite Fly footage is pretty awesome.
Yep.

That was the result of 25 years of searching on my part. Seeing that was as about as fulfilling as any KISS-related find I've ever had. Glad everyone noticed it. (There's a bit more of it in night one of the doc.)
Hey Jeff, that's awesome. Thanks for your dedication! Can you confirm how much total footage was found?
One reel. I think it's 3:22 in total length. Silent, but now synched to the 4/1/74 radio broadcast from Cleveland.
Grand Classic

Post by Grand Classic »

TwistedTaste wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:16 am

No, I'm not.

Thank You.

I mean fuck if Paul came to me and said we are gonna put a disco song on the next album, I might drink myself into a coma too. How could anyone be happy in such a situation if you want to be in a HARD ROCK BAND?
sicksickphil

Post by sicksickphil »

jetcity wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:30 am
jetcity wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:04 pm
muzik_guy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:58 pm

Yep.

Hey Jeff, that's awesome. Thanks for your dedication! Can you confirm how much total footage was found?
One reel. I think it's 3:22 in total length. Silent, but now synched to the 4/1/74 radio broadcast from Cleveland.
you should have set it on fire